Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Samuel Camazzola
22 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Narcos : Mexico series 3 on Netflix is awesome. Fantastic. Watched the lot over 2 nights and going to watch them all again.

Could this be watched without seeing the previous ones first or is it a series with no continuation from those? Saw the trailer and it looked good. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched the first few episode of Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. Live version of a Japanese anime series. Enjoyable enough turn your brain off stuff but can’t help but feel it could have been a whole lot better. 

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Could this be watched without seeing the previous ones first or is it a series with no continuation from those? Saw the trailer and it looked good. 

you really need to watch the whole lot tbh. Well worth it though 

Valley of Tears on channel 4’s player. Israeli series based on the Yom Kippur War of the early seventies. Pulls no punches. Takes a bit of getting into but by the third episode I was hooked. Subtitled.

Edited by GinRummy

13 minutes ago, Gards said:

Got to about 4 episodes of 'The Last Man' and it just seems to be going downhill fast....Any point continuing?

is that the y:the last man? if so it has been cancelled

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Gards said:

Got to about 4 episodes of 'The Last Man' and it just seems to be going downhill fast....Any point continuing?

I gave up at about the same place. It started quite promising but faded very quickly. With so much choice available nowadays I would hope that studios would try to make quality shows to rise above the vast majority of "meh" shows. 

Haven't watched any of it yet, but The Wheel of Time is now on Amazon.  No doubt aimed to fill a Game of Thrones gap.  The series of books is 14 volumes long.  I think I read around 8 of them before giving up as nothing continued to happen over around 1,000 pages per book.  Will give the TV adaptation a watch, though, just to see what they've done with it.

54 minutes ago, Haken said:

Haven't watched any of it yet, but The Wheel of Time is now on Amazon.  No doubt aimed to fill a Game of Thrones gap.  The series of books is 14 volumes long.  I think I read around 8 of them before giving up as nothing continued to happen over around 1,000 pages per book.  Will give the TV adaptation a watch, though, just to see what they've done with it.

I was the same, read some when I was younger and enjoyed them at first, but gave up about half way through because they became too long and meandering. Bit like the Game of Thrones books did too.

I watched the first 3 episodes on Amazon at the weekend, they were ok but I did feel it was a bit slow. Will keep watching for now, as could be just because they're setting up the characters and storyline. I do think that it will struggle to get renewed for enough seasons to complete the whole marathon storyline though.

9 hours ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Finished 'Dopesick' last night. Was very good IMO

On episode 5. Fantastic. Some place the USA. Money has the platform to corrupt anything and everything. Absolutely bonkers stuff. 10/10 so far. Great acting, great storyline. 

22 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

I was the same, read some when I was younger and enjoyed them at first, but gave up about half way through because they became too long and meandering. Bit like the Game of Thrones books did too.

I watched the first 3 episodes on Amazon at the weekend, they were ok but I did feel it was a bit slow. Will keep watching for now, as could be just because they're setting up the characters and storyline. I do think that it will struggle to get renewed for enough seasons to complete the whole marathon storyline though.

Watched the first episode last night and thought it was decent.  Don't remember Two Rivers being so culturally diverse in the book, though.

On 24/11/2021 at 07:48, Haken said:

Watched the first episode last night and thought it was decent.  Don't remember Two Rivers being so culturally diverse in the book, though.

Long time since I read the books, so can't remember, but I suppose a village that's been pretty isolated wouldn't be that diverse, but I don't have a problem with it.

It never really bothers me when I'm watching shows, as long as the actors are good and a character being a certain colour/race/gender isn't key to the plot.

Edited by PortyJambo

Started watching the new Irvine Welsh thing "Crime". Set in Edinburgh, lot of good Scottish actors in it. Gordon Kennedy spotted holding a Hearts mug in the first episode!

Jambo_jim2001
On 19/11/2021 at 12:23, PortyJambo said:

The final (6th) season of The Expanse starts on Amazon on 10th Dec. 

I'll miss it when it's done, as it's one of the better sci-fi shows ever made, and IMO definitely the best current one out there. 

I know they're not covering the final 3 books of the 9 book series in this season, but as there's apparently a 30 year gap between books 6 and 7, it does make sense they're stopping now as it's a natural break and they'd have to either recast or digitally age the current actors if they were to go on.

Apparently there's still a chance that the final 3 books will be picked up at some time to continue the storyline. But even if not, at least I know I can start reading the books if I want to get the complete story.

Started to binge watch this now I know it's going to get a final conclusion,was miffed when it got cancelled first time around..I tend to wait to see if a series gets picked up now before watching,hate it when you get into a good series for it to get cancelled..sy-fy channel are notorious for this.have you seen foundation or another life,both look promising

2 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Started to binge watch this now I know it's going to get a final conclusion,was miffed when it got cancelled first time around..I tend to wait to see if a series gets picked up now before watching,hate it when you get into a good series for it to get cancelled..sy-fy channel are notorious for this.have you seen foundation or another life,both look promising

I've not watched Foundation yet, but have it on my to-watch list.

I watched the first season of Another Life, but wasn't too keen. Too much overwrought drama in it for me. I might give the second season a watch to see if it's improved, but not in any hurry to watch it.

jack D and coke
On 27/11/2021 at 23:59, crunchy frog said:

Started watching the new Irvine Welsh thing "Crime". Set in Edinburgh, lot of good Scottish actors in it. Gordon Kennedy spotted holding a Hearts mug in the first episode!

Dougray Scott as a jambo too. Had to bring dens 86 into it though…Welsh can’t help himself man. 

Apart from that I thought it was a bit shit. Dougie Gillman is quite amusing at times - “well that’s got rid ay the tattie water” :lol: 

5/10

On 08/11/2021 at 21:56, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

I know it's been said before, but The West Wing is phenomenal.

Went back to 1999 and started watching it from the start.

Funny and Topical, an so much more.

What's also great is that half way through some episodes, it all comes back to me and I start remembering the outcome.

Still doesn't stop me watching it though.

I could get a speaking part in this series... absolutely phenomenal. You don't have to be into politics to enjoy it. Fantastic watch beginning to end.

13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Dougray Scott as a jambo too. Had to bring dens 86 into it though…Welsh can’t help himself man. 

Apart from that I thought it was a bit shit. Dougie Gillman is quite amusing at times - “well that’s got rid ay the tattie water” :lol: 

5/10

It just wasn’t quite right. Some of the accents not great. Poorly done scheme accents when policemen rarely speak like that. Can’t really put my finger on why I didn’t like it overall but a bit shit was my overall feeling. 

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It just wasn’t quite right. Some of the accents not great. Poorly done scheme accents when policemen rarely speak like that. Can’t really put my finger on why I didn’t like it overall but a bit shit was my overall feeling. 

Aye I expected much better tbh after enjoying Filth. Does he (Welsh) make sure they keep emphasising they say “ay” and have their voice go upwards at the end of every sentence? It’s very apparent in all his stuff and isn’t recognisable to me. People do say “ay” I do it myself but I can’t think of many Edinburgh punters I know who talk with this over egged Edinburgh vernacular and accent. 
Wouldn’t bother about that if the story was better though. 
Hibs ***** :lol: 

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Aye I expected much better tbh after enjoying Filth. Does he (Welsh) make sure they keep emphasising they say “ay” and have their voice go upwards at the end of every sentence? It’s very apparent in all his stuff and isn’t recognisable to me. People do say “ay” I do it myself but I can’t think of many Edinburgh punters I know who talk with this over egged Edinburgh vernacular and accent. 
Wouldn’t bother about that if the story was better though. 
Hibs ***** :lol: 

I liked Filth as well. You’ve nailed the accent thing. Nobody talks like that, least of all any policemen give met. 

He’s a total twat, a true believer in the fantasy Hibs a lot of them have created for themselves. 

scott herbertson
On 29/11/2021 at 15:11, PortyJambo said:

I've not watched Foundation yet, but have it on my to-watch list.

I watched the first season of Another Life, but wasn't too keen. Too much overwrought drama in it for me. I might give the second season a watch to see if it's improved, but not in any hurry to watch it.

Another Life - I agree re overwrought - always look like the heroine is constipated. However it maintains interest with its plot line and the overall concept is decent

Ending was very cheesy I thought

i thought the last season of Expanse was bit disappointing compared to the excellence of the previous series. Looking forward to final season though.

On 28/11/2021 at 07:58, 1971fozzy said:

Tiger King 2 (Netflix)

we have up after 2 episodes. What a lot of garbage. Enjoyed the first series as well

Same here.  I gave up after the first one though.

4 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

Same here.  I gave up after the first one though.

Gave up after the second episode of second season. Suddenly realised I didn’t like anyone in it and couldn’t care less what happened to any of them. 

Carl Fredrickson
59 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where can you watch this?

Tia

It is on Sky & NowTV. I am on episode 8 and think it is worth a watch

Yellowjackets on sky Atlantic. Promising first few episodes about a female high school football team and their plane that crashes on way to a tournament 

Carl Fredrickson

The Landscapers on Now/Sky

Olivia Colman & David Thewis play the two main characters in a murder/buried in the back garden dramatisation of a true story. 

Some good acting on display but a couple of things were disappointing. I think at 4 episodes it is too long and the way the story was told was disappointing in my opinion. 

I am sure BBC would have done a much better job of it.

13 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

Dopesick. 3/10

Thought it was excellent.  We lived in the US when the opoid crisis was in full swing....so perhaps that's why we liked it as it went behind the scenes of what was going on during that time.

11 hours ago, Gards said:

Thought it was excellent.  We lived in the US when the opoid crisis was in full swing....so perhaps that's why we liked it as it went behind the scenes of what was going on during that time.

I thought it was great too. 8/10

23 hours ago, Gards said:

Really enjoyed it as well. 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Hand of God on Amazon Prime starring Ron Perlman.

Currently on episode 4 and its been really good so far.

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series