Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 05/10/2021 at 19:32, jambopilms said:

Anyone watched Black Mirror that can recommend any episodes. I have read you don't need to watch in any order.

Yes. I thought they were all good tbh mate. Each is a different ****ed up story. 

Squid Game - Netflix 7/10

Korean series about desperate folk in debt who participate in a series of games to win a cash prize. Messed up but watchable. 

9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Korean series about desperate folk in debt who participate in a series of games to win a cash prize. Messed up but watchable. 

Thought it was really good. Set up nicely for a second series 9/10 from me. 

23 hours ago, Cruyff said:

6/10 from me in the end. Some of the acting was honking. Especially 212 (who was way over the top) and the VIPs (who were just plain terrible).

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

6/10 from me in the end. Some of the acting was honking. Especially 212 (who was way over the top) and the VIPs (who were just plain terrible).

Agree but that concept was good imo. 

On 07/10/2021 at 10:58, Cruyff said:

Also known as a guide to the rules for when it happens in Britain in the next couple of years…

The 24 faces of Billy Milligan is an interesting watch. Usual documentary style of languishing on parts or comments that lean a certain way but a lot of commentary from all sides of the story without overly giving an opinion.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Also known as a guide to the rules for when it happens in Britain in the next couple of years…

The 24 faces of Billy Milligan is an interesting watch. Usual documentary style of languishing on parts or comments that lean a certain way but a lot of commentary from all sides of the story without overly giving an opinion.

My view of him changed with each "expert" :1132:

Still unsure if he was "at it" or not. 

1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Its quite something , When they focussed on the disorder as opposed to people’s opinion on if he was at it or not I thought it was fascinating. They stumbled about a bit with people like the law enforcement guy who was adamant he should pay for his crimes and it was a disgrace he didnt or the   way they talked about the guy trying to speak to Ragen in Croat-Serb and him snapping out of that personality. There was no speaking to experts on why that might be just he must have been faking.

That after saying he had written letters in fluent croat-serb. Its not like he could have sat with a translator app there telling him what to write. I think they tried to box off the idea of multiple personality disorder as debunked entirely and DiD as only a possible thing rather than leave the viewer to decide. 

That said its a story that just makes you as you say question it after every new piece of info is revealed. The police officer who said hed pay two people to murder him too. Can you imagine that today. 

Wild story but a good watch

Carl Fredrickson
36 minutes ago, sadj said:

Its quite something , When they focussed on the disorder as opposed to people’s opinion on if he was at it or not I thought it was fascinating. They stumbled about a bit with people like the law enforcement guy who was adamant he should pay for his crimes and it was a disgrace he didnt or the   way they talked about the guy trying to speak to Ragen in Croat-Serb and him snapping out of that personality. There was no speaking to experts on why that might be just he must have been faking.

That after saying he had written letters in fluent croat-serb. Its not like he could have sat with a translator app there telling him what to write. I think they tried to box off the idea of multiple personality disorder as debunked entirely and DiD as only a possible thing rather than leave the viewer to decide. 

That said its a story that just makes you as you say question it after every new piece of info is revealed. The police officer who said hed pay two people to murder him too. Can you imagine that today. 

I totally agree. If he was faking it then he is some actor and done a lot of prep. However as you say there were times when it came across as he was totally at it. I think I will sit on the fence with this one 

19 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I totally agree. If he was faking it then he is some actor and done a lot of prep. However as you say there were times when it came across as he was totally at it. I think I will sit on the fence with this one 

Im the same , my best mate recommended it to me shes the same can’t decide. The one thing thats indisputable in regards to him personally is what he went through as a child is horrific.   

Edited by sadj

Carl Fredrickson
9 minutes ago, sadj said:

Im the same , my best mate recommended it to me shes the same can’t decide. The one thing thats indisputable in regards to him personally is what he went through as a child is horrific.   

And it obviously had a huge impact on him. Makes me grateful for my childhood 

JudyJudyJudy
On 05/10/2021 at 19:32, jambopilms said:

Anyone watched Black Mirror that can recommend any episodes. I have read you don't need to watch in any order.

All of them are of a high standard 

5 hours ago, sadj said:

3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

3 hours ago, sadj said:

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

And it obviously had a huge impact on him. Makes me grateful for my childhood 

I reviewed that earlier on the thread . It’s an excellent documentary . He had serious issues related to severe prolong child hood trauma which affected his mental health and he “ split” to deal with this I feel . I think he was fairly genuine about the multiple personalities . It’s a very complex psychological phenomena really . 

I still struggle to see how he got off with the rape charges but I guess those who felt he deserved to be punished for it would be happy with what happened to the rest of his life . He was basically hounded and never got any peace . 

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

All of them are of a high standard 

I reviewed that earlier on the thread . It’s an excellent documentary . He had serious issues related to severe prolong child hood trauma which affected his mental health and he “ split” to deal with this I feel . I think he was fairly genuine about the multiple personalities . It’s a very complex psychological phenomena really . 

I still struggle to see how he got off with the rape charges but I guess those who felt he deserved to be punished for it would be happy with what happened to the rest of his life . He was basically hounded and never got any peace . 

The law enforcement guy by the end was pissing me off there was no thought of understanding that there was proven issues there. The alleged murder too were all portrayed as shoddly looked into , very , very weird situation all in. 

just watched the series 2 finale of ted lasso. it finished well and seems to be setup nicely for series 3

Spoiler

one thing i felt they did gloss over in this episode, yes they did deidcate an episode to it earlier in the series is the mental health issues. it was mentioned but then it changed scene and i felt it lost any impact.

Carl Fredrickson

The Billion Dollar Code on Netflix

Tells the story of a small firm that sues Google over the algorithm that is used in Google Earth. 

I am not a techy person, I didnt know of this but thoroughly enjoyed it. 

The latest of the All Or Nothing series of programmes is on Prime now. This one follows the Toronto Maple Leafs over a season. Pretty interesting as most of these shows are, though I have only watched the ones from sports I enjoy watching. 

Extra satisfying is that it was last season they filmed ending up with the play off against the Habs. 

“ 1900 Police Paris “ 

This is on bbc 4 and also on iPlayer . Just finished first couple of episodes and really enjoying it . Basically about turn of the century cops in Paris investigating grisly murders . Their are other storylines to it too . Mainly one about the anti semitism which seemed to be rife at that time in Paris and legitimised too . It also has the backdrop of the Dreyfuss Affair (Jewish army officer accused of treason) 

it’s very well made , great Paris scenery and some saucey scenes too!😂excellent so far 

Edited by JamesM48

Bad Sport - Documentary series on Netflix. 

I've just jumped into the middle of them with the one about match fixing at Juve. Decent watch.

Also finished Squid Game and really enjoyed it.

On 24/09/2021 at 15:14, Lord BJ said:

Ive started watching Squid Game on Netflix. Its a South Korean show. It is strangely enjoyable and about playing a bunch of deadly playground games to win billions on won. Its reminds me a little of the film battle royal.

Watched the last episode last night. The series was ok. Surprised that one of characters never made it to the final episode. Overall thought it was alright, but do think its a little overrated. Speaking of games I've started to watch Alice in Borderland which seems ok.

15 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Really enjoying Midnight Mass, very atmospheric.

it’s superb. Only watched 3 episodes but has me hooked. Very good indeed

Maid  on Netflix.  Superb stuff 9/10

It’s about a single mum (played brilliantly by Margaret Qually) who turns to housecleaning to make ends meet as she escapes an abusive relationship and overcomes homelessness to create a better life for her daughter

On 16/10/2021 at 10:21, 1971fozzy said:

It’s about a single mum (played brilliantly by Margaret Qually) who turns to housecleaning to make ends meet as she escapes an abusive relationship and overcomes homelessness to create a better life for her daughter

When her boyfriend gave her car back to the other would be love interest I shouted at the telly. 🤬

Kalamazoo Jambo

The brilliant Succession Is back tonight in the U.S. at least. Not quite sure if they still own Hearts at this point :laugh:

On 17/10/2021 at 20:26, GinRummy said:

When her boyfriend gave her car back to the other would be love interest I shouted at the telly. 🤬

yeah there was a few moments like that. I was surprised at how this series affected me. Very sad 

Just started on “ squid game “ devoured 3 episodes last night . It’s excellent . Gonna finish it next couple nights I think ! 

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I know succession has the mighty Hearts in it. But is it worth the watch, folks?

I would say a resounding YES. Brian Cox is great in it and it is good to watch a show where you can dislike all the main characters.

17 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I would say a resounding YES. Brian Cox is great in it and it is good to watch a show where you can dislike all the main characters.

👍

14 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I know succession has the mighty Hearts in it. But is it worth the watch, folks?

I think you need to properly concentrate on it. My mind tends to wander when I don’t immediately get gripped by something. Started it twice and struggled. 

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think you need to properly concentrate on it. My mind tends to wander when I don’t immediately get gripped by something. Started it twice and struggled. 

Watching Succession second time around I'm really enjoying the storylines. It's quite complex but there is an overall story arc and each character has a quite distinct role around that arc. On top of that the writing is excellent and as darkly comic as The Thick of It. Just remember that any time that Logan Roy is a ***** he is, at heart, a Hibee 😁

17 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Watching Succession second time around I'm really enjoying the storylines. It's quite complex but there is an overall story arc and each character has a quite distinct role around that arc. On top of that the writing is excellent and as darkly comic as The Thick of It. Just remember that any time that Logan Roy is a ***** he is, at heart, a Hibee 😁

😀 cheers. I will go back to it. I’m very easily distracted so will need to pick my moment. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
5 hours ago, RobboM said:

Our re-watch just got us to ‘boar on the floor’.  Amazing stuff. I agree that viewing requires considerable concentration. The show just gets better and better even though I hate everyone in it. Hibs @$&*#%s

"Four Hours at the Capitol" is well worth a watch. It's a documentary not a series I know but shows the siege of the Capitol building in DC early this year when thousands of right wing nutcases stormed the USA seat of power. Ten times more scary than any of the footage we were subjected to at the time. Makes you wonder why the true scale of this assault on democracy was kept from the public. You'll find it on BBC Iplayer.

Carl Fredrickson
16 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

"Four Hours at the Capitol" is well worth a watch. It's a documentary not a series I know but shows the siege of the Capitol building in DC early this year when thousands of right wing nutcases stormed the USA seat of power. Ten times more scary than any of the footage we were subjected to at the time. Makes you wonder why the true scale of this assault on democracy was kept from the public. You'll find it on BBC Iplayer.

I watched it yesterday - the scenes at the tunnel were like something from Lord of the Rings. 

On 21/10/2021 at 18:01, ri Alban said:

Yes. It's funny as ****. 

I finished the rest of " Squid game"  What an excellent series.  Stunning really.So well acted and a great twist and turns plot.  A great illustration about how people can be so greedy and sadly desperate for money too. Some heart breaking back stories to the characters too. I thought the " marbles" episode was one of the best 1 hours of tv ive ever seen.  It had everything condensed into an hour but felt an hour was enough.  The pairings were brilliant stories  .Each and every one of them .  

Spoiler

In particular the two young woman. Their relationship was beautifully explored from initially being very defensive to becoming quite attached to each other at the end and sharing their personal hopes and aspirations. Terrific. 

IM guessing there will be a series 2 . I think that the police guy probably survived the fall into the sea so he may reappear too 

10/10 from me. 

On 03/10/2021 at 22:23, Tazio said:

Bob Mortimer talks in his autobiography about how they filmed the first episode and tried to plan it out beforehand. It was rubbish so the director just told them to sit and chat and they would edit it to keep the good bits and dump the rest and they’ve done it the same way ever since. And it works. 

Bob Mortimer should be a recognised national treasure IMHO and Paul Whitehouse should be recognised as one of the finest actors this country has ever produced. 

Carl Fredrickson
On 16/10/2021 at 10:21, 1971fozzy said:

Just finished it earlier today. Fantastic show and quite emotional at times

On 24/10/2021 at 17:57, JamesM48 said:

I finished the rest of " Squid game"  What an excellent series.  Stunning really.So well acted and a great twist and turns plot.  A great illustration about how people can be so greedy and sadly desperate for money too. Some heart breaking back stories to the characters too. I thought the " marbles" episode was one of the best 1 hours of tv ive ever seen.  It had everything condensed into an hour but felt an hour was enough.  The pairings were brilliant stories  .Each and every one of them .  

Reveal hidden contents

In particular the two young woman. Their relationship was beautifully explored from initially being very defensive to becoming quite attached to each other at the end and sharing their personal hopes and aspirations. Terrific. 

IM guessing there will be a series 2 . I think that the police guy probably survived the fall into the sea so he may reappear too 

10/10 from me. 

Loving it. Absolutely 10/10. 👍

I watched the marbles one last night. Spent a good bit of time seething that no one played a 'proper' game of marbles. 😄  I really hope they make more, but if they do I'd imagine it'll be a while. 

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Loving it. Absolutely 10/10. 👍

I watched the marbles one last night. Spent a good bit of time seething that no one played a 'proper' game of marbles. 😄  I really hope they make more, but if they do I'd imagine it'll be a while. 

Yes it a very high standard. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series