Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

On 02/09/2021 at 16:38, EH11_2NL said:

Deceit on More4. True story with Niamh Algar. 

Watched all 4 episodes last night. That was one seriously fecked up investigation and the girl that Niamh Algar played had her life ruined because of it.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 04/09/2021 at 20:20, JWL said:

Watched all 4 episodes last night. That was one seriously fecked up investigation and the girl that Niamh Algar played had her life ruined because of it.

Yeah I watched it . It really was a disastrous police honey trap . Their investigation was flawed from the beginning . Whilst they were going after Stagg the real killer ended up murdering another woman and child . No got much sympathy for the woman polis either . She’s just as bad as the rest . The actual  show was not bad but I felt the lead was totally without any charisma . IMO . The guy who played Stagg was suitably ambiguous I felt . 

On 02/09/2021 at 15:49, Furious Styles said:

9/11 One day in America. 
I appreciate people may get a bit tired of 9/11 documentaries but this one is superb. 
Plenty of footage I’ve not seen before and stories I’ve not heard. 
It’s a six parter. 

half way through this. It’s a hard watch, very emotional. But utterly captivating. It’s unlike other ones about that day . 
If people can watch it (some very upsetting footage and stories) then I’d recommend very highly as well.

Thanks for the recommendation 👍

New series of "What We Do In The Shadows" is underway.

Mockumentary-style sitcom following the misadventures of 4 hapless Vampires in New York.

46 minutes ago, Cade said:

New series of "What We Do In The Shadows" is underway.

Mockumentary-style sitcom following the misadventures of 4 hapless Vampires in New York.

Where is it being broadcast? 

Watched the first episode of Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix. Odd but interesting so far, advertised as a horror but just starting to show signs of it. More weird than horror so far. 

9/11 inside the presidents war room. Intensely emotional bbc documentary that features interviews with all the people close to George bush in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy. I had my feelings about George W bush before watching this but fair play to him, he showed tremendous leadership at an unprecedented time and event. Ridiculed in the past, I felt he carried himself and the nation with dignity and sensitivity at a time where the whole world was hurting

Post mortem;no one ever dies in skarnes. 7/10 netflix

norwegian series with a nod to vampire films and series gone before. Focuses on a small family funeral firm and their struggles to survive in an idyllic Norwegian country town

On 05/09/2021 at 23:20, JamesM48 said:

Yeah I watched it . It really was a disastrous police honey trap . Their investigation was flawed from the beginning . Whilst they were going after Stagg the real killer ended up murdering another woman and child . No got much sympathy for the woman polis either . She’s just as bad as the rest . The actual  show was not bad but I felt the lead was totally without any charisma . IMO . The guy who played Stagg was suitably ambiguous I felt . 

Actually thought she was okay but everyone else was a bit wooden. I did have a wee bit of sympathy for the WPC but she did know what she was getting into and maybe didn't communicate to her superiors the potential dangers involved. Would like to see a documentary on the real killer and the monumental feck ups that the police made there as alluded to at the end of the final episode.

William H. Bonney

I’ve only just started watching Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone fishing. 

Highly recommended to anyone who hasn’t seen it( probably just me). 

“ American horrid story “ new season back on . It’s quite good . It’s vampires and aliens this time . 

Carl Fredrickson

Stephen on STV player, tells the story of the Stephen Lawrence case. Steve Coogan plays his role very well but I couldnt help but think of him as Alan Partidge. 

A Killing In Tiger Bay - BBC Iplayer. 3 part doc on the case of the Cardiff 5. Awful story. 

I need to try and watch something a bit more cheerful next

On 03/09/2021 at 17:32, Tommy Brown said:

Been skipping by this on Prime for ages, eventually watched 3 episodes this afternoon.

All or Nothing: Tottenham Hotspur 

Really good so far, started with Pochetino sacking and moved onto Jose Mourinho being installed. More changing room scenes when Jose arrives.

After enjoying the Spurs documentary, I moved onto

All or Nothing: Manchester City

Follows their league title in 2017/18.

Pretty decent  but features quite a bit on Benjamin Mendy, how popular and great a guy he is. :eek:

22 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

“ American horrid story “ new season back on . It’s quite good . It’s vampires and aliens this time . 

Nae Henrys?

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Eh ? 

Horrid Henry.

On 15/09/2021 at 07:41, JamesM48 said:

American horror story. I haven't watched it since the first couple of episodes.

Watching an series from 2010 and 2012.

Accused , Prime or (STV player but littered with adverts)

Excellent Jimmy McGovern production.

Each episode an Individual story, similsr to The Street. Good earthy drama with good cast.

This probably outs me as a proper boring middle aged fart, but got home tonight and checked if my TiVo had recorded anything and was delighted to see there is a new season of All Creatures Great And Small. 
It’s probably nostalgia but they did a great job with the first season and the Christmas special of keeping the feel of the classic show from back in the day and cast it very well. 

Carl Fredrickson
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This probably outs me as a proper boring middle aged fart, but got home tonight and checked if my TiVo had recorded anything and was delighted to see there is a new season of All Creatures Great And Small. 
It’s probably nostalgia but they did a great job with the first season and the Christmas special of keeping the feel of the classic show from back in the day and cast it very well. 

I might check it out. I used to love the old ACG&S when I was younger and have them on DVD. Great Sunday night viewing back in the day. 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yes, youu are.

But quite a few of us on this thread are too.

Enjoyable watch.

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

For some reason i have started watching the Darling Buds of May.

For some reason enjoying it.😃

18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Horrid Henry.

American horror story. I haven't watched it since the first couple of episodes.

You should give it a go . Some seasons are better than others. It’s an anthology show so they are stand alone seasons . Since I’m an Uber fan of it I’d say the best season is “ Asylum” followed by “ Coven “ “ Murder house “ “Freak show “ and “ Hotel” 

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve been watching “ Upstairs downstairs “ on talking pictures every Sunday ,really enjoyed it . Was so well made and actually well ahead of its time addressing some issues . “ Downtown abbey “ is a poor mans rip off of it . The characters are so memorable Hudson , Mrs Bridges ,Rose and poor Ruby 😎

On 15/09/2021 at 10:07, Carl Fredrickson said:

Stephen on STV player, tells the story of the Stephen Lawrence case. Steve Coogan plays his role very well but I couldnt help but think of him as Alan Partidge. 

A Killing In Tiger Bay - BBC Iplayer. 3 part doc on the case of the Cardiff 5. Awful story. 

I need to try and watch something a bit more cheerful next

Was just coming on this thread to say how good A Killing in Tiger Bay was. Won’t spoil it for anyone in case, like me, they are only vaguely familiar with the story but was a fantastic watch. Thoroughly enjoyed it and more topical than ever.

I'm going to revisit Underbelly on Prime.

STV showed the first 3 series of 6 a good few years back. John Michie did a voice over for some strange reason.

There is 3 series that I have not seen and 3 that I will happily watch again, it is that good.

A true story Aussie series on the criminal underworld. Shocking but enthralling.

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

STV showed the first 3 series of 6 a good few years back. John Michie did a voice over for some strange reason.

There is 3 series that I have not seen and 3 that I will happily watch again, it is that good.

A true story Aussie series on the criminal underworld. Shocking but enthralling.

Season 1 was excellent and was a great potrayal of the gangland situation of the time.  Was more interesting for me as a few of the scenes in that season where filmed around Richmond, Melbourne which is where I lived at the time.

Carl Fredrickson

I enjoy introducing my son to TV shows and films that I have enjoyed and more often than not they are hits with him. He will shortly be studying WW2 and I am looking forward to watching Band of Brothers with him. 

However our current show I have revisited is 24. It must be close to 20 years (or possibly more) since it first aired and I watched it at the time but not since. I stopped after S2 as I thought it was too "samey" but my memory of S1 was that it was compulsive viewing and the weeks couldnt go fast enough until the next episode. 

In 2021 it hasnt aged well and rather than being exciting and edge of seat stuff I am finding it boring and disliking nearly all of the characters. My son thinks it is hilarious. We have about 4 to go but will not be watching S2. 

Disser Pointon
On 19/09/2021 at 08:54, Carl Fredrickson said:

I enjoy introducing my son to TV shows and films that I have enjoyed and more often than not they are hits with him. He will shortly be studying WW2 and I am looking forward to watching Band of Brothers with him. 

However our current show I have revisited is 24. It must be close to 20 years (or possibly more) since it first aired and I watched it at the time but not since. I stopped after S2 as I thought it was too "samey" but my memory of S1 was that it was compulsive viewing and the weeks couldnt go fast enough until the next episode. 

In 2021 it hasnt aged well and rather than being exciting and edge of seat stuff I am finding it boring and disliking nearly all of the characters. My son thinks it is hilarious. We have about 4 to go but will not be watching S2. 

The Pacific is also worth a watch alongside B.O.B.

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

The Pacific is also worth a watch alongside B.O.B.

I found it hard to warm to the characters in the Pacific than Band of Brothers. Both a great watch but BoB really got to me.

I’ve watched a few episodes tonight of The Cleaner on iPlayer with Greg Davies. Interesting comedy about a crime scene cleaner, each episode is him interacting with another person with good casts. 

Superb  two part documentary about prisoners in the USA Studying various college courses and also taking part in debating with students from the prestigious Harvard university . Deeply moving and inspiring . 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000k492/storyville-college-behind-bars-episode-1

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve watched a few episodes tonight of The Cleaner on iPlayer with Greg Davies. Interesting comedy about a crime scene cleaner, each episode is him interacting with another person with good casts. 

Watched that as I like him but wasn't too sure if I liked it or not.

Not a patch on Man Down or Cuckoo IMO.

“ monsters inside ; the 24 minds of Billy Milligan “  Netflix 4 parter 

Excellent documentary about Billy Milligan who was the first person to get off with a serious crime ( rapes) due to his defence of having multiple personality disorder ( or Dissociate Identity Disorder ) . The series is really good examination of this so called

medical disorder and what happened to him after his trial etc . Well worth a watch 

22 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Watched that as I like him but wasn't too sure if I liked it or not.

Not a patch on Man Down or Cuckoo IMO.

I enjoyed the set up of it basically being only the two characters. The episode with the actor in the wheelchair was nicely awkwardly written. 

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

new version of never mind the buzzcocks. i enjoyed it but some of the introductions of the panellists from Davies seemed a little forced. 

I quite enjoyed it and feel it will get a bit more relaxed as it goes on. 

On 17/09/2021 at 17:31, Tommy Brown said:

I watched all of these back when they first aired. Really enjoyed it

Edited by Disco Dave

4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Started The North Water on Iplayer, quite enjoying it.

Oh I’ve just checked up on that . It looks good . Love things set in the artic etc . I’ll def give it a watch 

6 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

I watched all of these back when they first aired. Really enjoyed it

Reached s1 e9 so far. Good stuff.

Frighteningly, absolute zoomers.

If your a lover of the female breasts, this show is a must. :lol:

Underbelly (Prime or STV Player)

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series