Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

Deliver Us - Danish, subtitled - an eight-part psychological thriller about a bunch of people in a small town in Denmark who decide the only way to deal with the local sociopath is to kill him.  Bleak, but compelling, with a couple of plot twists including a humdinger right at the end of the second-last episode.  Still available on the C4 player.

And earlier in the thread someone mentioned Call My Agent - French, subtitled.   Much more frothy, it's a show in four (I think) series about the goings on, backstabbing and office politics in a Paris talent agency.  Netflix.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

William H. Bonney
9 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm just catching this now though it's a few years old, I'm enjoying it. Fred Savage seems not to have changed much. I can't watch anything without looking up IMDB, it's quite interesting to see all he's directed.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. 

Carl Fredrickson
On 07/06/2021 at 03:29, Tommy Brown said:

Time (BBC) sunday 9pm

Sean Bean plays a first time prisoner after a drink drive death, Stephen Graham is his screw who has a son inside another prison.

A great Jimmy McGovern production.

I think it was said, that all episodes are available already on iplayer.

Three very good episodes. Strong script, great acting and raises a number of discussion points about her prison system

William H. Bonney
3 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Three very good episodes. Strong script, great acting and raises a number of discussion points about her prison system

The scene where Daniel meets the parents of the man he killed was very powerful. Extraordinary acting from Jack McMullen 

Carl Fredrickson
21 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

The scene where Daniel meets the parents of the man he killed was very powerful. Extraordinary acting from Jack McMullen 

Nearly every scene was memorable. The scene with the sugar and kettle sent a shiver down my spine

I started on Orphan Black after a friend suggested it but I'm finding it a bit cheesy and chick-flicky after a few episodes. Stick it out or bump it?

Tommy Brown
9 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Excellent stuff.

No complicated twisty script.

No sugar coating or happy ending.

Powerful and emotional.

Time (bbci player)

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I started on Orphan Black after a friend suggested it but I'm finding it a bit cheesy and chick-flicky after a few episodes. Stick it out or bump it?

First season was ok but becomes repetitive and silly in my opinion . I stopped watching it 

JudyJudyJudy

Liseys story “  Julianne Moore , Clive Owen , Jennifer Jason Leigh Joan Allen . Watched the first two episodes of this tv series . It’s based on Stephen King book . Not feeling it at all . It might improve but only two more episodes . Strong cast though . 

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Nearly every scene was memorable. The scene with the sugar and kettle sent a shiver down my spine

Gonna save it as Sunday treats so not watched it all . First episode was excellent . Well it is written by great Jimmy Mc govern . 

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Gonna save it as Sunday treats so not watched it all . First episode was excellent . Well it is written by great Jimmy Mc govern . 

McGovern is a great writer and is great when dealing with difficult subjects or stories. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

McGovern is a great writer and is great when dealing with difficult subjects or stories. 

Yes he always has been . “ hills borough “ and “ cracker “ come to mind 

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes he always has been . “ hills borough “ and “ cracker “ come to mind 

Cracker was tremendous TV at the time. I really enjoyed The Street and Broken too. Probably lots more if I checked IMDB

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cracker was tremendous TV at the time. I really enjoyed The Street and Broken too. Probably lots more if I checked IMDB

Oh yes “ Broken “ and “ The street “ were excellent . Yes “ Cracker “ was must watch tv back in the day . Think he also wrote “ Priest “ too ? 

Carl Fredrickson
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh yes “ Broken “ and “ The street “ were excellent . Yes “ Cracker “ was must watch tv back in the day . Think he also wrote “ Priest “ too ? 

Was that the film? I think he might have, had the "feel" of one of his.. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Was that the film? I think he might have, had the "feel" of one of his.. 

“ priest “ with Robert Carlyle 

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

First season was ok but becomes repetitive and silly in my opinion . I stopped watching it 

👍

Disser Pointon
On 02/06/2021 at 02:50, benny said:

Mr Inbetween series 3 started a few weeks back.

Hadn't realised that, loved the first 2, cheers.

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, milky_26 said:

decent first episode of loki. 

Sitting watching it with my son, which is just as well as he is a Marvel expert and I am not. Seems very good so far.

16 hours ago, milky_26 said:

decent first episode of loki. 

It was and it was also good to see Owen Wilson back on the screen. 

Edited by ri Alban

Felix Lighter

Just finished binging The Kings. Four part boxing doc on the Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard era. :2thumbsup:

JudyJudyJudy
On 11/06/2021 at 11:28, indianajones said:

Not started season 4 yet but really enjoy Fargo.

It’s class tv . All seasons are very different but have the same quirkiness to them plus with undertones of black humour and at times savage violence . Enjoy 

57 minutes ago, benny said:

Katla on Netflix.

First 2 episodes really good.

Other recent arrivals on Netflix are the 2nd season of Lupin and the 3rd season of The Kominsky Method. Kominsky Methodnseems to have flown under the radar for some reason. Very well written and funny sit com about a failed actor who teaches drama and his friendship with his agent. The type of very clever American dialogue that Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin do so well. 

JudyJudyJudy

On the second part of “ Lupin” on Netflix . Apparently the most watched subtitled programme on it . No wonder . It’s terrific . It’s an old fashioned caper with a guy who is master of disguise avenging his dads wrongful imprisonment. It’s french so it’s full of french charm and class and the leading actor is easy on the eye too ! 

On 21/06/2021 at 12:24, JamesM48 said:

On the second part of “ Lupin” on Netflix . Apparently the most watched subtitled programme on it . No wonder . It’s terrific . It’s an old fashioned caper with a guy who is master of disguise avenging his dads wrongful imprisonment. It’s french so it’s full of french charm and class and the leading actor is easy on the eye too ! 

Saw a bit of this on Gogglebox and quite fancy it

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

Saw a bit of this on Gogglebox and quite fancy it

It’s very entertaining fluff really . 

Carl Fredrickson

Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Pandemic sweeps the earth and a lot of bairns are hybrids of humans and animals. 

Not great but not rubbish. Passes the time and more entertaining than watching Scotland.

I'm a few episodes in to Box 21 (More 4). Pretty good so far.

"A young Romanian woman named Lidia is lured to Sweden with promises of a better life, but is instead forced into prostitution. In search of revenge, her fate is interwoven with police officer Ewert Grens who chases a dangerous criminal."

Disser Pointon
2 hours ago, benny said:

Last season of Bosch is  on Amazon Prime now.

I'll be on that, loved the other series.

jambosean75

its pish that FX is being taken off of sky and virgin by disney

lots of good programmes that i enjoy on that channel :vangry:

Diadora Van Basten

Apache The Carlos Tevez story.

Its a bit like City of God meets Stookie.

I really enjoyed it.

Watched the 3 parter documentary on SKY about Robert Maxwells daughter and her involvement in the Epstein sex trafficking scandal.

3 hours I’ll never get back. Nothing we never knew. Just showed her dad to be the monster he was and Epstein likewise in a different way obviously. Her trial starts in November so that should be interesting if it goes ahead. Can imagine a few will have skid marks prior to that starting

A few episodes into the new season of Bosch. Very good so far, but sadly I’ve noticed that it’s also the last season. 

JudyJudyJudy

Later To the party with “ The Serpent “ on bbc iPlayer . Very well made tv series and upsetting and very disturbing too, lead actor and actress are terrific and believable as I really hate them . Tahar Rahim Was also in the great French film “ A prophet “ he’s outstanding . WAs just going to watch one episode last night but binged on 4 

PortyJambo
14 hours ago, Tazio said:

A few episodes into the new season of Bosch. Very good so far, but sadly I’ve noticed that it’s also the last season. 

A series based on Michael Connelly's other main book series, Lincoln Lawyer, is being filmed for Netflix at the moment. I did wonder in an earlier post if Bosch would appear in that too, seeing as there's some crossover in the novels, but I've seen a quote from Connelly that that won't happen as they're on competing sites, Netflix and Amazon.

Carl Fredrickson

Watched Fargo series 4 this week. Had a different feel from the others but still an enjoyable watch. Lots of humour, violence and great acting. 

On 22/06/2021 at 21:23, Carl Fredrickson said:

Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Pandemic sweeps the earth and a lot of bairns are hybrids of humans and animals. 

Not great but not rubbish. Passes the time and more entertaining than watching Scotland.

I've started to quite enjoy it, the first part seemed to go on forever as a set up episode but the pace is better now. 

Carl Fredrickson
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I've started to quite enjoy it, the first part seemed to go on forever as a set up episode but the pace is better now. 

I would agree. It will never be in a top 5 or top 10 favourite show but it is ok and had some good parts to it IMO

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series