Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

A hard watch, but Berlin 1945 on iPlayer is darkly fascinating.

All footage is original from the time, as Berlin moves from normal-ish to complete breakdown as the Russians enter, with eyewitness diary voiceovers.

I hope they mentioned the thing that history likes to shut its eyes to. The tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of women raped by soviet soldiers. I’ve a good female friend from Berlin and asked her about it once and she said it’s something people don’t talk about as the scale of it was so huge it was impossible that a family won’t have had members that got away with it. There’s a quote from a Russian intellectual saying the Russians didn’t go to Berlin for victory they went for revenge. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Yep. No shying away from what went on. Eyewitness accounts from doctors. The women's diaries show how common it became - one of them mentioned that the only reasons she was writing about the night was because she hadn't been raped.

Horrific.

Good, well not good but I’m glad it’s now being spoken about. 

Started watching two doors down after hearing good things about it and thought it would be shit but after the first couple of ropey episodes it turns out to be really quite good and funny. Elaine c smith is brilliant in it

15 hours ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Watching The Queens Gambit....brilliant stuff. 

Seconded, excellent series.  Also just finished watching Inhuman Resources on netflix. Eric Cantona plays the lead role and does it quite well. Worth a watch imo 7/10.

Edited by 1953

Finished the BBC series ‘The Serpent’

really thought it was pretty good. Creepy and utterly astonishing what he got away with. Probably a couple of episodes too long though.

Space:Above&Beyond.

Criminally under-rated and mostly unknown 1990's sci fi series in the same vein as Battlestar Galactica and Starship Troopers.

Only ran for a single 23-episode series.

I’ve discovered Forged In Fire. Contests between blade makers to make knives and swords. 
I know nothing about blacksmith work or making weapons but it’s oddly fascinating. I do enjoy a good film with sword fights and the like so maybe that’s where the interest comes from.  

Baldwigforjack
On 05/01/2021 at 18:29, sadj said:

Just binged Season 3 of Cobra Kai , absolute quality. Step up even from the first two seasons. Still slaying the Karate Kid thing while putting a modern twist on it. 

Just finished season 1,going to binge 2 and 3 this weekend. 

23 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’ve discovered Forged In Fire. Contests between blade makers to make knives and swords. 
I know nothing about blacksmith work or making weapons but it’s oddly fascinating. I do enjoy a good film with sword fights and the like so maybe that’s where the interest comes from.  

what’s that on ? Cheers

5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

what’s that on ? Cheers

It’s on Sky History and you can get some of the previous seasons on catch up. It’s on Amazon Prime as well but sod paying £2.50 an episode. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s on Sky History and you can get some of the previous seasons on catch up. It’s on Amazon Prime as well but sod paying £2.50 an episode. 

Cheers mate

On 13/01/2021 at 22:25, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Watching The Queens Gambit....brilliant stuff. 

On 14/01/2021 at 13:39, 1953 said:

Seconded, excellent series.  Also just finished watching Inhuman Resources on netflix. Eric Cantona plays the lead role and does it quite well. Worth a watch imo 7/10.

Working my way through this, like it.

Got severe hots for Anya Taylor-Joy.

42 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Started watching Briarpatch with Rosario Dawson in the lead role. A bit out there but quite entertaining. 

I’d happily watch The Beechgrove Garden on repeat is she was in it. 

Seymour M Hersh
27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’d happily watch The Beechgrove Garden on repeat is she was in it. 

Indeed she's certainly easy on the eye. 

I caught a couple of episodes of the new modern day Magnum. 
A - where’s his big moustache? 
B - my goodness, Higgins has changed for the better. 

I know it's already been spoken about but just finished s8 of Dexter. Thoroughly enjoyed the series overall though agree it lost a bit of steam after s4. 

Season 8 is almost pointless. While I don't mind the ending, it's a bit meh.  Don't know how to use 'hide contents' so won't post spoilers but it even could have been finished with a better ending after season 7 if a main character had taken a different choice in the final episode.

The problem overall is that the Dexter of the early seasons was interesting because he was clearly an outsider trying to pretend to fit into society while hiding a secret. He almost becomes integrated into society later on which doesn't ring true. 

Still, very excited to see Clyde Phillips back on board for the new season!  Hoping we get the stellar ending the character deserves! 

Disser Pointon

Trial 4 on netflix, excellent. Filthy corrupt cops, I would never tire of punching the retired captain McNelly for continually defending the case, a disgrace to law enforcement and clearly corrupt himself. 

On 19/01/2021 at 21:49, Aaron78 said:

I know it's already been spoken about but just finished s8 of Dexter. Thoroughly enjoyed the series overall though agree it lost a bit of steam after s4. 

Season 8 is almost pointless. While I don't mind the ending, it's a bit meh.  Don't know how to use 'hide contents' so won't post spoilers but it even could have been finished with a better ending after season 7 if a main character had taken a different choice in the final episode.

The problem overall is that the Dexter of the early seasons was interesting because he was clearly an outsider trying to pretend to fit into society while hiding a secret. He almost becomes integrated into society later on which doesn't ring true. 

Still, very excited to see Clyde Phillips back on board for the new season!  Hoping we get the stellar ending the character deserves! 

Dexter deteriorated drastically towards the end of the run . The best season by far was the trinity killer one with guest star John Lithgow ( brilliant actor ) 

Spoiler

Although one positive of the ending was the death of Dexters sister who was an annoying cow as well as terrible actress . They also made mistakes with killing off some great characters . I’m unsure why they are bringing it back though ? 

I also liked the season with guest star Yvonne Stravidki ( can’t spell her name ) 

Started to watch “ Lupin “ on Netflix . Only watched one episode but really enjoyed it so bodes well for the next 4 episodes . It’s about a gentlemen jewel thief set in Paris so beautiful locations too 

Binged "Informer" on Netflix.

BBC 6 part series based in modern day London.

How they turn petty criminals into informants to try and catch terrorist cells.

Fiction -not a documentary.

Quite interesting and some good performances.

Really enjoyed it.

On 15/01/2021 at 15:03, Baldwigforjack said:

Just finished season 1,going to binge 2 and 3 this weekend. 

How did you find it?

anyone watched Wandavision so far (upto episode 3)

Baldwigforjack
45 minutes ago, sadj said:

How did you find it?

anyone watched Wandavision so far (upto episode 3)

Loved it, can't wait until season 4. Loved all the nods to the original movies, yet they still managed to make it easy for people who hadn't seen the movies to follow the storyline.  Now moving on to Ozark.

Just now, Baldwigforjack said:

Loved it, can't wait until season 4. Loved all the nods to the original movies, yet they still managed to make it easy for people who hadn't seen the movies to follow the storyline.  Now moving on to Ozark.

👌🏻

On 11/01/2021 at 11:17, Cruyff said:

Watched the Serpent, that was gid. 

7.3/10

Great stuff

What a story 

BBCi player 8 episodes.

On 11/01/2021 at 11:17, Cruyff said:

Watched the Serpent, that was gid. 

7.3/10

Great stuff

What a story 

BBCi player 8 episodes.

I'd tried watching Outlander a couple of times, but couldn't get into it. This time something seemed to click, and I've one more episode and I'm up to date.. Really enjoyed it.

The last series of Vikings is next, then I'll be trawling this thread for more stuff.

“ a new place in the sun “ is in channel 4 catch up . It’s reality documentary about British people who move abroad to set up businesses . The new  season was filmed last year so all the businesses affected by covid which is a real Shame . I love watching it for the great European scenery 

“ a new place in the sun “ is in channel 4 catch up . It’s reality documentary about British people who move abroad to set up businesses . The new  season was filmed last year so all the businesses affected by covid which is a real Shame . I love watching it for the great European scenery 

10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Not the best timing for sure but sounds an interesting watch. 

On 22/01/2021 at 22:59, Tommy Brown said:

Great stuff

What a story 

BBCi player 8 episodes.

It was good. Probably should have given it a better score. Fancied that Nadine burd. :loved:

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Not the best timing for sure but sounds an interesting watch. 

It’s been on for a few years so probably a few seasons of it on channel 4 on demand for free 

Anyone watched Seal Team before ?

Going to start it tonight seen season 4 advertised on Bein Tv last night.

Its on my IPTV series will give it a watch. 

If anyone has a “dodgy box”/IPTV then check out Moonbase 8.

John C Reilly

Hillarious.

NASA have a moonbase set up in the desert to practice for a future moon colony. 3 idiots man the practice base on earth with hillarious consequences. Genuine ROFL mements in every episode.

Brilliant.

On 06/01/2021 at 02:23, Tazio said:

Damn. Was just about to head to bed a couple of hours ago and saw on iPlayer there is a new Attenborough series The Perfect Planet. So had to watch a couple of episodes. These programmes never fail to produce the goods. I’m in my 50’s and have been obsessed with wildlife programmes since I was a kid and thought I was pretty knowledgable about most things. Yet every one of these I discover more amazing things about nature. 
All I’m going to say is if you watch even just the first episode your mind will be blown by something I didn’t think existed and would never have imagined. Galapagos finches astonishing behaviour. 

Finished watching this last night.

Amazing as always. I knew the final episode would be the most upsetting though.  😡

On 25/01/2021 at 11:46, Cade said:

Wandavision is totally, utterly bonkers but superb.

It's starting to explain itself now. Very slow. 

Finished " Lupin" on Netflix.  its really good. Its about a jewel thief in Paris who is seeking revenge against a guy who framed his dad.  Its fast moving, funny and very light hearted romp  for most of the time.  The actor playing the main lead is brilliant and very charismatic. It reminds me a lot of " Sherlock" for some reason.   Only 5 episodes on it just now but think there are 5 more episodes on the way soon. Great scenery of Paris too.  8/10 from me. 

Disser Pointon
22 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

John C Reilly

Hillarious.

NASA have a moonbase set up in the desert to practice for a future moon colony. 3 idiots man the practice base on earth with hillarious consequences. Genuine ROFL mements in every episode.

Brilliant.

I thought it was awful. 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Finished " Lupin" on Netflix.  its really good. Its about a jewel thief in Paris who is seeking revenge against a guy who framed his dad.  Its fast moving, funny and very light hearted romp  for most of the time.  The actor playing the main lead is brilliant and very charismatic. It reminds me a lot of " Sherlock" for some reason.   Only 5 episodes on it just now but think there are 5 more episodes on the way soon. Great scenery of Paris too.  8/10 from me. 

Enjoyed this one.

On 25/01/2021 at 22:21, Pans Jambo said:

John C Reilly

Hillarious.

Brilliant.

Hadn't heard of John C Reilly until I seen Stan & Ollie.

What a performance he did of Oliver Hardy, even totally looked like him.

Its on Cinema HD, I will give it a go

Edited by Tommy Brown

6 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

He's in Step Brothers with Will Ferrell. Where they redefine the term 'teabagged'.

Edited by ri Alban

9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

He's also in Step-Brothers with Will Farell. Thats worth a watch.

EDIT: Se Ri Alban beat me to it.

Edited by Pans Jambo

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series