• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Thanks for the info, TB.   

Did you see the  documentary about Nilsen last week. Part of these "Britain's Most Notorious Killers"  programs.    It contained a very weird interview back in the 80s with his Scottish mum - she blamed everyone and everything for his actions, but not him.   One of the other contributors (ex-cop or ex-journo, can;t remember) revealed that as a youngster, he doted on his grandad.  One day his mum said "let's go visit grandad" and led him to the room where he lay in his open coffin.     The psychologists reckon that was a fundamental reason for how his  warped and eventually murderous personality developed.    A basic linking of  "love"  with death.     

The grandad story was a big part of tonight's episode.

I said to my missus last night that Tenant has him bang on. I remember a program from well back interviewing him, so glib.

I'll need to see your documentary, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

The grandad story was a big part of tonight's episode.

I said to my missus last night that Tenant has him bang on. I remember a program from well back interviewing him, so glib.

I'll need to see your documentary, thanks.

A friend from Fraserburgh was singing his praises for getting the accent bang on even the subtleties from a normal Doric accent. 

Carl Fredrickson
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Maybe I’m getting nostalgic but I’m enjoying the remakes of All Creatures Great And Small on ch5. 

Grew up watching the original and got the DVD box set a couple of years ago. Must make time to watch them. 

Anyone else watching (or already watched) Hunting Hitler  (Amazon Prime..... and  on QUEST as well I think) ?    I'm on episode 5  of season 1.    Fascinating stuff, although I'm not sure if some of these "finds" might just be  co-incidence or unrelated.   At least it seems to debunk the "suicide pill in the bunker" version of  things.     I remember first hearing about the possibility in a documentary many decades ago, which told of the determined push by the Russian army to get to Berlin before the Allies. When the  bunker was found by the Allies without Hitler and his new wife inside, they assumed the Russians had taken the bodies away as a propaganda trophy to show their public.         As the saying goes, truth is the first casualty of war. 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Maybe I’m getting nostalgic but I’m enjoying the remakes of All Creatures Great And Small on ch5. 

Haven't watched it yet, but heard it was being shown.   Sounds like C5 may have made the decision on the back of the big viewing figures for Yorkshire Vet, which features Peter Wright who was one of the junior vets in James Herriot's practice.   (James Herriot being the pen-name of Scots vet Alf Wight when he moved to Thirsk)

40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Me too, thought it would be shit but it's definitely not.

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Didn't watch the original, but enjoy this series.

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

David Tennant is absolutely bloody fantastic. But please stop being a baddie, David. Thanks! 👍

You seen 'Secret Smile'? He's in that and isn't very nice in it either. Decent 3 or 4 part thriller mind.

1 hour ago, JWL said:

You seen 'Secret Smile'? He's in that and isn't very nice in it either. Decent 3 or 4 part thriller mind.

I'll have a look. 👍 He was quite evil in the crime UK thingy on Netflix. 

Meat Eater.

On Netflix, shooting, fishing and cooking from the good ol' U Sof A!!!

Great scenery, great recipes and sustainable gathering of wild food, I love this side of America. 

Carl Fredrickson

Challenger on Netflix. A doc about the space shuttle that exploded in 1986. A hard watch at times with lots of video of the team before they went on the shuttle. 

I am not a "space" fan but the human story fascinated me and it was a disgrace that NASA tried to cover the cause up. 

On 15/09/2020 at 22:34, Lone Striker said:

Anyone else watching (or already watched) Hunting Hitler  (Amazon Prime..... and  on QUEST as well I think) ?    I'm on episode 5  of season 1.    Fascinating stuff, although I'm not sure if some of these "finds" might just be  co-incidence or unrelated.   At least it seems to debunk the "suicide pill in the bunker" version of  things.     I remember first hearing about the possibility in a documentary many decades ago, which told of the determined push by the Russian army to get to Berlin before the Allies. When the  bunker was found by the Allies without Hitler and his new wife inside, they assumed the Russians had taken the bodies away as a propaganda trophy to show their public.         As the saying goes, truth is the first casualty of war. 

It was quite interesting if you watch it thinking about what might have happened, but it is ultimately bulls***. He definitely died in the bunker. 100%

24 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Prison break drags on a bit does it no?

You finally get to the end and then there's another feckin season

Best pretending it ended 5 mins before the end of season 2 and leaving it there. 

On 20/09/2020 at 13:03, Lord BJ said:

Just came on to post this it’s very good tv. 

Criminal 👍 Spain, France and Germany still to watch. 

Just finished season 3 of 'Babylon Berlin' last night (Sky Atlantic). I wasn't enjoying it as much as the previous 2 seasons initially but the second half fair picked up for a strong finish. 

On 21/09/2020 at 22:56, Greedy Jambo said:

Then he breaks back into prison. Then dies but suddenly he re-appears alive in some other Prison in Central America pretending not to be Michael. :facepalm:

First 2-3 seasons were decent though. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Then he breaks back into prison. Then dies but suddenly he re-appears alive in some other Prison in Central America pretending not to be Michael. :facepalm:

First 2-3 seasons were decent though. 

More plot holes than Scotland's got pot holes

After last week's drama on Dennis Nilsen, this week ITV are repeating Appropriate Adult based on the arrest of Fred West.

Made back in 2011, from memory, another fascinating watch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=appropriate+adult+itv&oq=appropriate+adult+itv&aqs=chrome..69i57.14826j0j7&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Carl Fredrickson

US on Iplayer. Drama with a touch of humour about a couple who go on a holiday with their 17 year old son just after the Mrs said she was leaving her husband. Quite a good watch. 

On 21/09/2020 at 10:18, Lord BJ said:

Just started watching Ratched on Netflix. Its a little bit weird but does hook you in pretty quickly.

Based on Nurse Ratched from one flew over the cuckoos nest.

Wee bit graphic at some points.

I don’t know if I fancy this . Seems like it’s An insult to a great novel , film and character , making a “ back story “ which only the real author could have provided . Louise fletcher wAs incredible as Nurse Ratchet so Paulson has a tough act to follow . However I have heard good things about the series so might try it . I was sceptical when they did “ Bates motel “ with Norman bates back story but it was really good with some good actors in it 

On 21/09/2020 at 23:21, Ray Gin said:

Best pretending it ended 5 mins before the end of season 2 and leaving it there. 

Prison break should have ended after series 2 . It deteriorated badly after that with that stupid plot about “ Cilla “ or whatever . First series was good second not bad but no thanks to the rest . Similar to “ Dexter “ which went downhill after season 4 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Prison break should have ended after series 2 . It deteriorated badly after that with that stupid plot about “ Cilla “ or whatever . First series was good second not bad but no thanks to the rest . Similar to “ Dexter “ which went downhill after season 4 

Dexter possibly has the worst ending ever?

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Agreed. Apparently all the original writers left Dexter after s4, which explains the rapid downturn. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Dexter possibly has the worst ending ever?

Oh yes ! Mm 

Spoiler

Pissing off to a log cabin to be a lumberjack lol least his annoying sister croaked it 😂

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Agreed. Apparently all the original writers left Dexter after s4, which explains the rapid downturn. 

Oh right didn’t know that . The best season of Dexter was the one with the great John Lithgow as the Trinity killer . Excellent 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh right didn’t know that . The best season of Dexter was the one with the great John Lithgow as the Trinity killer . Excellent 

Yeah that was S4, it was great. 

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah that was S4, it was great. 

Yeah anything John Lithgow does us great In my opinion 👍 

Noticed Deadwood finally put together a last episode, some 8 plus years since the final episode in Season 3. 

Been watching Mr. Robot to tide me over until I can binge all season 2 of The Boys. It's pretty frigging dark and now almost unwatchable in terms of wtf is actually going on at season 3. Watched Upload on Amazon, decent enough premise but sort of goes off kilter towards the end of the run. A lighthearted show on Netfix is "Rust Bros" for fans of car rebuild shows such as Fast and Loud, Overhauling, etc. 

Edited by Fraggle

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Spoiler

Killing Dexter's Mrs was horrible. 

:spoton:

JL is an amazing actor. Brilliant in everything he does. 

jack D and coke
On 21/09/2020 at 22:56, Greedy Jambo said:

Keep watching you’ll get a laugh. It gets sillier and sillier :lol: 

On 15/09/2020 at 11:38, Ron Burgundy said:

Just started Wayward Pines, know nothing about it but I do like Matt Dillon so will give it a chance.

What did you think? I watched it when it was getting shown on FX and thought it was great.

On 24/09/2020 at 01:47, JamesM48 said:

I don’t know if I fancy this . Seems like it’s An insult to a great novel , film and character , making a “ back story “ which only the real author could have provided . Louise fletcher wAs incredible as Nurse Ratchet so Paulson has a tough act to follow . However I have heard good things about the series so might try it . I was sceptical when they did “ Bates motel “ with Norman bates back story but it was really good with some good actors in it 

Watched the first episode and Paulson seems to do a decent job playing Ratched. Not sure the narrative quite feeds into the character in the film (never read the book) but I am kinda enjoying it. Possibly a wee bit of artistic licence being used by the writers...💊

16 hours ago, Sex Panther said:

What did you think? I watched it when it was getting shown on FX and thought it was great.

I really liked the first season. Not started season 2 but not keen on Jason Patric.

Just finished Duchess on Netflix.

I enjoyed it.Nothing new but it passed away an afternoon.

If you do not like Katherine Ryan I would give it a miss.

Edited by benny

On 24/09/2020 at 16:34, ri Alban said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Killing Dexter's Mrs was horrible. 

:spoton:

JL is an amazing actor. Brilliant in everything he does. 

Yes he is . Very underrated . He first came to prominence playing a transsexual basketball player in “ The world according to Gary”. He’s brilliant in this and the film is an underrated gem with the great Robin Williams and Glenn Close. It’s a very bizarre film but terrific . 

On 25/09/2020 at 17:23, Sex Panther said:

Watched the first episode and Paulson seems to do a decent job playing Ratched. Not sure the narrative quite feeds into the character in the film (never read the book) but I am kinda enjoying it. Possibly a wee bit of artistic licence being used by the writers...💊

Im

not watchin it out of principle but it’s had decent reviews so may change my mind but Louise Fletcher will always be nurse Ratchet in my book . 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series