Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

JudyJudyJudy
On 18/06/2020 at 12:06, Ron Burgundy said:

Started The Sopranos last night, so far pretty good.

I feel like I am obliged to watch it as everyone who has seen it says its great.

22 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve seen them all so no spoiler worries. 

Spoiler

Yes the final meeting between Dr Melfi and Tony was i think the best scene in the whole series. She realised that the  talking therapy she was provided to Tony was basically letting him off the hook by giving him excuses ( his mother etc) for his sociopathic behaviours. She felt she had been taken for a ride.   I liked when she literally showed him the door. His expression and childish tantrum in this scene was brilliant. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Into the second series of Das Boot and really enjoying it. The lack of episodes is a bummer though, maybe more noticeable after having binge watched Breaking Bad before it.

Having enjoyed Gommorah, I tried watching Subura: Blood on Rome, but the crap dubbing annoyed me and made it unwatchable. I'd much rather of had it in Italian, with subtitles. (not something I thought I'd see myself writing.)

Next up was going to be Better Call Saul, but I might try Ozark, as from what I've read here it sounds good.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Next up was going to be Better Call Saul, but I might try Ozark, as from what I've read here it sounds good.

Both are great! 

chester copperpot
On 25/06/2020 at 21:09, Samuel Camazzola said:

Agreed. I was pretty surprised the snippet offootage near the beginning of the first episode was included. 

Yeah I couldn't believe they showed that either. 

Watched  ‘Athlete A’  which was on Netflix.  
Not a series but documentary-film about that scumbag Dr Larry Nassar who worked for the US Gymnastics and his abuse of over 100 young girls who were athletes in USA (Olympic team some of them). It shows the CEO and top coaches covering it up USA Gymnastics Organisation .

Shocking how someone in that position (physio) carried this out and was allowed to.  

Edited by 1971fozzy

JudyJudyJudy

Watching " Dark" on Netflix.  Its a german Sci fi series about the apocalypse and time travellers. It has an incredibly complicated plot but its a brilliant show. Highly recommended. 

Started watching Queen of the South on Netflix at the weekend, which has been really good. Helped by Alice Braga being the main character.... 😍 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Started watching Queen of the South on Netflix at the weekend, which has been really good. Helped by Alice Braga being the main character.... 😍 

Ive heard this is meant to be good. May give it a go. 

Tommy Brown

I tried QotS a few weeks back and decided not for me after 20 minutes.

Just me.

Thought it looked to unbelievable.

As I say, don't be put off with my remarks, could be my loss.

Blootering through Breaking Bad just now. Have way through s3.

davemclaren
On 29/06/2020 at 15:09, JamesM48 said:

Watching " Dark" on Netflix.  Its a german Sci fi series about the apocalypse and time travellers. It has an incredibly complicated plot but its a brilliant show. Highly recommended. 

I enjoyed it but it’s easy to lose track. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yeah tell me about it.  Couldn't understand some of it. But it seems to have came to a natural end with the 3rd season. 

davemclaren
On 29/06/2020 at 15:09, JamesM48 said:

Years behind the curve but have started bingeing Downton Abbey. **** me it’s like watching SOA again. Cliffhangers all over the shop and worth watching just for Dame Maggie Smith 

Carl Fredrickson
5 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Years behind the curve but have started bingeing Downton Abbey. **** me it’s like watching SOA again. Cliffhangers all over the shop and worth watching just for Dame Maggie Smith 

Agree with this

On 27/06/2020 at 15:28, Ray Gin said:

On episode 3 of Pistorius on Amazon Prime. Compelling viewing. 

(documentary series) 

watched this today. Very good series 

Little fires everywhere on Amazon.

Only put it on because they showed a clip of it on Gogglebox the other week and looked good.

Rich family mixes with poor family and it all goes to shit.

Not normally my thing but it was good.

7.5/10

I've been watching Maniac on Netflix. Limited series with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone as patients in an experimental pharmaceutical trial. It gets very weird. 

21 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

I started on 'Dark' last night. Its a German Netflix thing, very weird!

I tried that but couldn't go the dubbing, watched two then binned it, I'd rather it was subtitled. 

mrmarkus1981
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I tried that but couldn't go the dubbing, watched two then binned it, I'd rather it was subtitled. 

I downloaded it and switched on the subtitles. I could pop it in a cloud drive if you want to try it again?

Just now, mrmarkus1981 said:

I downloaded it and switched on the subtitles. I could pop it in a cloud drive if you want to try it again?

Cheers, I never never know you could do that, I'll get the wife to do the same, thanks for the offer, if we can't get it done I might take you up👍👍

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Netflix gives you the option to choose the language the audio is in

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Netflix gives you the option to choose the language the audio is in

I'll look again, I really fancied Dark too👍

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'll look again, I really fancied Dark too👍

Just go to the audio and subtitles options while it is playing. 

JudyJudyJudy
On 14/07/2020 at 10:03, Dawnrazor said:

It is subtitled. 

JudyJudyJudy

ON Episode 4 of " Stateless" which is on Netflix.  Yvonne Strahovski is the star ( she is in " The Handmaid's Tale".). It about different people detained in an immigration camp in Austrailia.  Its very good and well acted. 

Carl Fredrickson
On 15/07/2020 at 12:30, JamesM48 said:

ON Episode 4 of " Stateless" which is on Netflix.  Yvonne Strahovski is the star ( she is in " The Handmaid's Tale".). It about different people detained in an immigration camp in Austrailia.  Its very good and well acted. 

Thanks for the heads up. Finished it last night - heartbreaking at times.

JudyJudyJudy
50 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just finished The Sopranos. Gutted. Loved it.

It’s my all time favourite show . Incredible 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Thanks for the heads up. Finished it last night - heartbreaking at times.

Glad you enjoyed . It was emotional . 

Ron Burgundy
43 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Ha ha. Was waiting for a picture to load and then I got it.

Not gonna lie, would have preferred something more concrete.

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Glad you enjoyed . It was emotional . 

Spoiler

Loved the last scene between Dr Melfi and Tony when she realised the therapy was given him an excuse to be a sociopath ! Loved when she literally showed him the door 

Ron Burgundy
44 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s my all time favourite show . Incredible 

Thing is I watched Lilyhammer a few years ago which is about Silvio being relocated.

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:
  Hide contents

So many scenes that were thought provoking but the one you mention was tremendously well done. 

Carl Fredrickson
51 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Thing is I watched Lilyhammer a few years ago which is about Silvio being relocated.

I loved Lilyhammer but a lot of people I know didnt. I loved its humour though the least series was a lot darker.

Spoiler

No doubting the Sopranos is a classic of this new golden age of television. The ambiguous non committal ending disappointed many fans but it can't detract from the overall brilliance of the entire story arc from start to finish.

I suppose they could have injected some form of karma like justice at the end. Either Tony or one or even more of his family could have been taken out. Inflicting on him the agony he inflicted on so many other families.

Though he was inured to murder he wasn't entirely the stereotypical picture of a psychopath. That would be someone who actually enjoyed killing which he didn't appear to.

And while the stereotypical psychopath would take pleasure in the torture of animals everyone who watched knows that definitely wasn't Tony. On the contrary he was an animal lover.

Perhaps one of the most psychopathic things he did was the murder of Christopher albeit that wasn't pre planned, more opportune. Christoper was an extended family member he had grown up with and his murder wasn't essential.

He also murdered his close cousin Tony Blundetto who he had also grown up with but arguably that was essential on some level. As for the murder of Christopher he richly deserved it.

He was a full blown psycho who murdered for absolutely nothing. An example of that when he murdered his writer friend who was also his substance abuse sponsor.

The most satisfying of Tony's murders to me at least was the whacking of Ralph Cifaretto. Another true psychopath even more vile than Christopher ever was. 

Spoilers for Sopranos. 

So...

There is a spoiler tab above posts you make, you know, just in case someone hasn’t seen The Sopranos and is considering it. 

Just finished Ozark S3 

I found the first series a bit slow but stuck with it and it just gets better and better.

Shame it will be at least a year for S4

Crushed all of Vikings over the last three weeks.

Season by season reactions:

1] This is good fun!

2] Bigger and better!

3] This looks to be building towards an epic 4th season!

4] Oh. It's just kind of fizzled out.

5] So, this is the re-boot then, is it?

6] Thank Odin this is the final season.

12 hours ago, Cade said:

1] This is good fun!

2] Bigger and better!

That seem to sum up a majority of series now.

JudyJudyJudy
12 hours ago, Cade said:

1] This is good fun!

2] Bigger and better!

I stopped watching it after the third series 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series