Recommend a tv series

Walter Bishop

What does the wife like? Might give ideas for a 'middle ground'?

Sorry I said 'I' should have said 'we' those listed is what we've both enjoyed together.

I dont watch a huge ammount of tele but mostly like action/adventure stuff.

She mostly likes typical 'bursd stuff' like soaps and wentworth prison and all that crap.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

• Carl Fredrickson

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you told me that with 20 episodes to go - too far in to stop, too far away to get through it quickly :lol:

I'm ten deep so definitely past the point of no return! It's been good but as Sterling says, not as good as it thinks it is. The continual breaking of the fourth wall also ruins a lot of the drama (although I believe the BBC original did that too). It's been good though and Spacey's top notch as always. So I'll need to stick with it!

Say What Again

ok tin hat on because I guess i have different tastes from alot of folk but can anyone think outside the box a bit and recomend me and the wife a decent series we will both like?

Stuff I Like:

Game of Thrones

Terminator: Sarah Conner chronicles

The Walking Dead

Lost (well we enjoyed watching it at the time but what a pile of pish it turned out to be haha)

stuff already tried:

The Wire (not for me but i totally understand why folk would enjoy it)

Breaking Bad (total mince)

Vikings (ok)

What about Homeland? I watched it after seeing it here and enjoyed it.

Did you ever see Spooks on BBC? It's like a CIA version of that but with more action and twists.

What about Homeland? I watched it after seeing it here and enjoyed it.

Did you ever see Spooks on BBC? It's like a CIA version of that but with more action and twists.

will check those out.

The missus likes crime stuff and anything with a mythical, supernatural twist usually works pretty well too (nothing too 'trekky' though)

thanks!

Chester™

will check those out.

The missus likes crime stuff and anything with a mythical, supernatural twist usually works pretty well too (nothing too 'trekky' though)

thanks!

How are you with subtitled shows?

If she likes crime/cop shows, try Line of Duty or Homicide: Life on the Street.

ok tin hat on because I guess i have different tastes from alot of folk but can anyone think outside the box a bit and recomend me and the wife a decent series we will both like?

Stuff I Like:

Game of Thrones

The Walking Dead

Lost (well we enjoyed watching it at the time but what a pile of pish it turned out to be haha)

stuff already tried:

Vikings (ok)

Genuinely intrigued as to how you think Breaking Bad is total mince

Obviously everybody has an opinion but its just... not

You seen it all the way through?

Not trying to be a condescending a hole BTW mate just interested in what you look for in a show to think breaking bad is pish

Must just be me that thought Under the Dome was average at best, bordering on pretty silly. I thought some of the acting was corny as hell too. Most of the time I found myself pondering over if I'd rather ride the ginger or the Latino cop :lol:

In saying that, I'll still watch season 2.

the ginger reporter definitely

Carl Fredrickson

Stuff I Like:

Game of Thrones

The Walking Dead

stuff already tried:

Vikings (ok)

The Mrs and I recently watched the US version of The Killing and really enjoyed it. The original (Norwegian?) version is meant to be tremendous but I had just finished watching a subtitled series so was happy not to watch the US version. Good crime show with a few twists in it.

Chester™

The Mrs and I recently watched the US version of The Killing and really enjoyed it. The original (Norwegian?) version is meant to be tremendous but I had just finished watching a subtitled series so was happy not to watch the US version. Good crime show with a few twists in it.

Danish and it is tremendous.

Edited by Chester?

How are you with subtitled shows?

If she likes crime/cop shows, try Line of Duty or Homicide: Life on the Street.

Im fine with subtitles but she'd hate it haha. Shes typical in she'd wait for the english remake of something before she would watch it.

Genuinely intrigued as to how you think Breaking Bad is total mince

Obviously everybody has an opinion but its just... not

You seen it all the way through?

Not trying to be a condescending a hole BTW mate just interested in what you look for in a show to think breaking bad is pish

In fairness I didnt like the whole concept. Didn't sound like my bag at all. But everyone kept going on 'best show ever blahblah'

So maybe its the expectation but i just find it boring. Oh poor guy now he needs to be a baddie as means to an end. Got some guy tied up what should he do... back and forth it goes blahblah just couldnt be arsed with it at all.

maybe i've not given it a fair crack but i've made this subconscious decision that I can live without watching it through. Maybe says more about me than the show right enough haha

Chester™

Im fine with subtitles but she'd hate it haha. Shes typical in she'd wait for the english remake of something before she would watch it.

Pity. Could have recommended a load of shows!

The other 2 I mentioned should be up her street - not a subtitle in sight! :lol:

Carl Fredrickson

Meant to say that I was happy to watch the US version as it wasnt subtitled :uhoh2:

Sterling Archer

Just hammered through 3 seasons the of the US Killing.

I think it greatly benefitted from binge watching. The first season finale was critically panned but not having to wait a year probably helped me.

I'd definitely recommend it.

Also, if you're looking for something a bit supernatural try Dollhouse, I really enjoyed it even it it's a bit of fluff.

Anyone else watch Party Down? I really enjoyed that.

...a bit disco

Just watched the first two episodes of The Leftovers.

Big name cast it may be, but don't expect an easy hour of entertainment.

Dark, violent and a jarring watch at times I still think it could be worth sticking with.

Edited by ...a bit disco

jack D and coke

In fairness I didnt like the whole concept. Didn't sound like my bag at all. But everyone kept going on 'best show ever blahblah'

So maybe its the expectation but i just find it boring. Oh poor guy now he needs to be a baddie as means to an end. Got some guy tied up what should he do... back and forth it goes blahblah just couldnt be arsed with it at all.

maybe i've not given it a fair crack but i've made this subconscious decision that I can live without watching it through. Maybe says more about me than the show right enough haha

Mate of mine kept refusing to watch it because he was sick of people banging on about it and even after series one he wasn't convinced. He got there tho and loved it in the end. I'd say give it another chance and try forget what you've heard it really is different gravy. IMO of course.

Ah right

Sounds like you've not even made it to end of season one mate?

If you get a chance give it till at least season three and by then you will be hooked

I know folk say all the time "best show ever blah blah" but seriously its brilliant

You just need to give it a chance

scott_jambo

Alan says "I hate when people say its the best show ever".

Multiple posters descend on him to tell him how amazing a show it is. :laugh:

Breaking Bad Season 1 - Good.

Breaking Bad Seasons 2, 3 and 4 - Shite

Breaking Bad Season 5 - Alright at the start. much better towards the end. Poor final episode though.

Some episodes were amazing and I sat there thinking "Finally, it's got good, it's finally going to show why it got all the hype!" and then it was back to boring!

I wi

Ah right

Sounds like you've not even made it to end of season one mate?

If you get a chance give it till at least season three and by then you will be hooked

I know folk say all the time "best show ever blah blah" but seriously its brilliant

You just need to give it a chance

No i've definately not mate, that would literally be hours of my life doing something I wasn't enjoying!

Im not aiming this at you, so please dont think im being a smart alec. But more than one person has said 'you need to watch the first season'. I mean seriously!? cant I have a fair gauge on what its like after 2-3 episodes?

with that in mind I've came to this conclusion.

Breakind Bad is like starting smoking. Its minging and folk know it tastes like crap but they force themselves to enjoy until they're hooked

:laugh:

Chester™

I

cant I have a fair gauge on what its like after 2-3 episodes?

TBF, me and Mrs Chester did that with The Wire. We decided to stick it out another couple of episodes and we're glad we did.:)

I wi

No i've definately not mate, that would literally be hours of my life doing something I wasn't enjoying!

Im not aiming this at you, so please dont think im being a smart alec. But more than one person has said 'you need to watch the first season'. I mean seriously!? cant I have a fair gauge on what its like after 2-3 episodes?

with that in mind I've came to this conclusion.

Breakind Bad is like starting smoking. Its minging and folk know it tastes like crap but they force themselves to enjoy until they're hooked

Ha ha

Fair enough mate

:laugh:

Rudolf's Mate
Just started watching Suits quite enjoying it but only 2 episodes in.

:lol: talked the Mrs into watching the pilot earlier in the week and we're up to episode 4 and really impressed.

If we all liked the same things life would be pretty feckin dull! People love/hate Breaking Bad then attempting to justify their reasons :lol: Personally thought it was superb but I appreciate it'll not be to everyone's taste.

House of Cards is a different matter! How the feck do some of you not like this?! Your taste is obviously up your erse ::troll:::'>

Although joking it is a brilliant programme though again I fully understand how some might think its boring.

As above looking around for stuff to watch with the missus. Any opinions on the following:

Terra Nova (Dinosaur jurrasic park style thing)

Prison Break (never watched it yet)

Falling Skies (UFOs n stuff?)

Edited by Alan_R

Tommy Wiseau

:lol: talked the Mrs into watching the pilot earlier in the week and we're up to episode 4 and really impressed.

If we all liked the same things life would be pretty feckin dull! People love/hate Breaking Bad then attempting to justify their reasons :lol: Personally thought it was superb but I appreciate it'll not be to everyone's taste.

House of Cards is a different matter! How the feck do some of you not like this?! Your taste is obviously up your erse br=

Although joking it is a brilliant programme though again I fully understand how some might think its boring.

:lol:

I don't find it boring, it's just very slight and not as clever as it thinks it is IMO. I'm through the first episode of the second season and up to this point, there has only been one character who has been fully rounded (Peter Russo). The other characters aren't much more than ciphers to do whatever they are needed to do to fit Underwood's plans. And see some of the imagery :lol: About as subtle as Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland. With the cast and premise it has, it's hard not to be disappointed as I think it could have been a lot more.

Rudolf's Mate

:lol:

I don't find it boring, it's just very slight and not as clever as it thinks it is IMO. I'm through the first episode of the second season and up to this point, there has only been one character who has been fully rounded (Peter Russo). The other characters aren't much more than ciphers to do whatever they are needed to do to fit Underwood's plans. And see some of the imagery :lol: About as subtle as Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland. With the cast and premise it has, it's hard not to be disappointed as I think it could have been a lot more.

Not at all bud. I was just highlighting that whilst some see it one way others don't. Personal preferences etc.

I can see why people don't like my fav programmes (Hannibal, Wire & Sopranos). Not you but I find I amusing that people don't understand others have different tastes and then try and debate almost trying to turn them :lol:

Tommy Wiseau

Not at all bud. I was just highlighting that whilst some see it one way others don't. Personal preferences etc.

I can see why people don't like my fav programmes (Hannibal, Wire & Sopranos). Not you but I find I amusing that people don't understand others have different tastes and then try and debate almost trying to turn them :lol:

I agree with you on that :lol:

I think I've been spoiled a bit by things like GoT, The Wire and Deadwood. I seem to hold any cable-type series to those standards, and I find it difficult to properly enjoy anything that doesn't have those literary style, interwoven thematic strands now :lol:

Rudolf's Mate

I agree with you on that :lol:

I think I've been spoiled a bit by things like GoT, The Wire and Deadwood. I seem to hold any cable-type series to those standards, and I find it difficult to properly enjoy anything that doesn't have those literary style, interwoven thematic strands now :lol:

Can't believe I forgot GoT :facepalm:

Deadwood is another I've not watched which I'll be having a ganders at some point :wink:

Carl Fredrickson

We are 6 episodes into House of Cards. I was looking forward to it so much as I heard so many good things about it but it isnt gripping me. The Mrs loves it but I dont like Spaceys character.

Will stick with it and see how it develops.

Boss, with Kelsey Grammer, is very good

Started watching it last night then read it got cancelled after 1 season.

Watched the pilots for Bosch and Extant which were both ok and will watch The After tomorrow.

rudi must stay

Started watching it last night then read it got cancelled after 1 season.

Watched the pilots for Bosch and Extant which were both ok and will watch The After tomorrow.

Na it has a second series. Haven't started watching it yet but the show itself looks interesting, and Grammer's a terrific actor

Just rewatching Homicide: Life on the Street. Doing so as I've finally managed to get all the series on DVD. Wonderful cop show. Cant believe it began over 20 years ago. The performances are as good as I remember. Certainly my favourite cop show and in my Top 5 all time.

Still hard to believe that Pembleton is the Captain in Brooklyn Nine-Nine. :lol:

Edited by Chester?

Na it has a second series. Haven't started watching it yet but the show itself looks interesting, and Grammer's a terrific actor

Yeah your right I read the imdb message boards and it said it was cancelled so automatically thought it only had the one season.Need to check if both seasons are Amazon Prime as I liked the first episode and the blonde bird is stunning, especially for a 40 something.

Prison Break (never watched it yet)

Watch the first 2 seasons and pretend the last 5 mins didn't happen. Stop there.

Watch the first 2 seasons and pretend the last 5 mins didn't happen. Stop there.

Haha not sure if that's a recommendation or not

Also bought terra nova, I know it got cancelled after one season but we liked the sound of it. Apparently It got a 2 hour finale to wrap the story up at least. So will report back

Tommy Wiseau

Just got to the episode in House of Cards where

Frank and his wife have a threesome with the security detail

Seriously, :cornette: ?????????

rossthejambo

I could do with something new to watch until the last season of Boardwalk Empire kicks off in September.

Tried House of Cards, really tried but couldn't get into it at all, Kevin Spacey was clearly brilliant in it but just didn't love up to they hype.

Any decent comedy series kicking about that I might have missed?

Sterling Archer

Just got to the episode in House of Cards where

Frank and his wife have a threesome with the security detail

Seriously, :cornette: ?????????

So edgy

Any decent comedy series kicking about that I might have missed?

Silicon Valley has just started on Sky and the first episode was fairly promising. Guy behind it is the guy that created Beavis and Butthead!

The US version of The Bridge.

Season 2 just started on Friday night.

Excellent series, would definitely recommend.

Tommy Wiseau

So edgy

Such edge, much controversy.

The fact that they clearly couldn't show Robin Wright and Kevin Spacey having a threesome, so instead threw the viewers a bone by having the two tidy bursds have a sex scene with their paps out moments later is so cringeworthy :lol:

chester copperpot

Sorry if it's been posted before, but could anyone of you fine chaps provide me with a link to watch some of the 100 series.

I can't wait a week between every episode, and quite enjoyed the first 2.

I've started watching The Good Wife with the Missus and after a couple of good early episodes, it's turning a little bit Blue Bloods/Diagnosis Murderish........

Everyone is really nice at heart, the main character every week finds a new client who she has some past with and it always works out for the best at the end of each episode.

Investigator bird is tidy tho.

Abort?

The Good Wife is excellent. I missed the first season (though Mrs Chester watched) but was hooked when I started watching it from the second.

Breaking Bad Season 1 - Good.

Breaking Bad Seasons 2, 3 and 4 - Shite

Breaking Bad Season 5 - Alright at the start. much better towards the end. Poor final episode though.

Some episodes were amazing and I sat there thinking "Finally, it's got good, it's finally going to show why it got all the hype!" and then it was back to boring!

Interesting.

I watched s1 ep1 for the first time the other day.

I thought it was very good, but have previously avoided due to all the hype.

That Silicone valley starts tonight on Atlantic.

Something to series link.

I'm Sky Staff so watched it the other day, promising first episode!

The Good Wife is excellent. I missed the first season (though Mrs Chester watched) but was hooked when I started watching it from the second.

Cheers for that! I'll persevere!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Recommend a tv series