What's the worst pub you've ever been in ?

fordy

The Gartmorn in Sauchie is best avoided. I'm not sure if it's even still open though.

The Gart ain't that bad. Used to play darts for them from 2000-2004.

Still open as far as I know.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

Pete Seeger

The Gart ain't that bad. Used to play darts for them from 2000-2004.

Still open as far as I know.

It's a few years since I was in to be fair. Another that I've remembered was Fat Boabs in Kincardine. Absolute hovel.

terrible_groaning_noise

The Saracens head near the Barrowlands before a gig, would have tried to get a pint but difficult getting past the punters standing on it!

TheMaganator

Diane's Pool Hall.

Went there very early before the Celtic semi in 2012.

I'm sure there were guys there that weren't going to the game - at 8am.

Terrifying place.

The Arctic Ranger in Orchard Park, Hull. Only time I have genuinely been in fear of my life whilst out. Went to meet a few mates who lived in that part of town before we headed out - walked in, ordered a pint, saw a boy battered over the head with a pool cue, promptly finished pint and left. Since been closed for a catalogue of human carnage including human trafficking, prostitution, loan sharks, drugs and violence.

Story here:

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Notorious-pub-closed/story-19191463-detail/story.html

The Clock Inn in Dalry (formally)...where the entrance/car park to Lidls is.

Terrible boozer.

I got barred from there. Not good.

The Albion Bar in Stirling is pretty crap. Got 2 pints of Tennants and got an odd number of change back. How is that even possible unless they charge 1/2 pennies?

Pete Seeger

The Albion Bar in Stirling is pretty crap. Got 2 pints of Tennants and got an odd number of change back. How is that even possible unless they charge 1/2 pennies?

The Albion's a shite pub. It's not really that rough though. The only pub in Stirling I'd have been wary of going in was O'Shaugnessy's/Jackies bar before it closed. Maybe Vinnie's in the Raploch or the Culten in Cultenhove.

The canny man in morningside.

Really good shout. Used to be such a good boozer as well (Sunday afternoon entertainment was excellent in the mid '80's)

So far up itself it ought to vanish. I've never been refused, but "locals only.....no working clothes......etc etc." Should have

its license revoked.

I saw the posting above citing The Goodies. A colourful establishment, but better than the pretentious Canny Man's in every

way.

TheMaganator

^ knocked back for being scruffy, chaps?

This guy loves it

585F8007-5D2A-42FE-92DC-5D4C813E29CE-21814-0000139FE0F37A62_zps7b252c95.jpg

Edited by TheMaganator

Lots of shite pubs in Aberdeen - the Castle, the King and Bell's Brae among them. The worst is the Spirit Level in the east end of Glasgow. Genuinely terrifying, I once watched a Celtic v Hearts game in there and thought I was going to get murdered.

Sexton Hardcastle

The Stand in mussy.

Within 3 minutes of entering a local took his belt off to a pal after he approached us and asked "are we going". Assuming he meant are we leaving he replied yes and was swiftly offered outside. Bar man didn't bat an eyelid.

Drove past the same individual later that night being bundled in the back of a meat wagon.

Say What Again

The Galleon in Porty needs a mention. Not the roughest by any stretch, but it's Jakey central - in an almost enjoyable way.

Last time I was in I walked through the door to see a guy singing on karaoke. Mic in one hand, kebab in the other. He only stopped singing when his missus threw her high heel at him.

He then went to take the missus outside for a pagger, but stopped first to offer his half chowed donner to some boy, who accepted it like it was fine cuisine and got tore right into it.

A domestic/pagger then kicked off beside us between regulars who wanted to get involved in the karaoke fight.

All of this before we got to the bar to be asked, like nothing had happened, 'what can I get yis?'

No hint of feeling in danger the whole night. The patrons couldn't have been more friendly :lol:

Edited by Say What Again

Franco Fascione

When I lived in Greenwich, The Watermans Arms, Charlton. A real dump which is close to the worst and the clientele...... The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, was a regular when he was making deliveries in South East London. Home boy drug dealers hanging around across the road. Every time I went past they offered me drugs, I always asked if they had any Irn Bru.

I got barred from there. Not good.

Barred for doing what?,oh and worst boozer for me is the Granton Tap that was round from Granton square.

Seymour M Hersh

Norma Jean's (what it was called in 89) in the weej (near barrowlands/darkheid) and one opposite it. NJ's was full of IRA supporting sellik fans inc a flute band. Went to the loo and a 50 yr old 4'11'' smelly wanted to swap his disgusting sellik hat for my LFC hat. I politely declined. Across the road (can't remember the name (even if it had one) was just unreal. no carpet, stank and the vodka on sale had a label of a bit of wallpaper with vodka written on it. This was before the Hillsborough game hence the lack of the usual aggression from the mhanks.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

The Dalmeny Bar on Leith Walk, few years I moved into a flat opposite having asked the previous tenant what the noise from the street was like (was fairly quiet when I viewed it) and she had said she'd never had any bother with the noise. Lying cow! The night I moved in and the second I dropped the last bag into my room, 2 meatwagons, 3 pandas and an ambulance appeared to sort out a rammy in the Dalmeny, was like that every weekend almost!

Glad it's getting turned into a bare brick hipster pub!

3fingersreid

Albion bar

The Guinness they served was like a pint of black cider the decor was of hobo legends and of course the close proximity of that shit hole just finished it off

the general

General - where in London Road was the London Road Tavern?

sorry Stuart ... I meant the one in Glasgow next to Parkhead

back in edinburgh .. the Vietnam ( Dundee Arms? ) opposite Fountain Park

Punks No Deid

In Edinburgh = Omans & The White House but not as bad as The Brazen Head in Glasgow. We were early for a gig at the O2 Academy and stumbled in there, dirty Smelltic pub with guys queuing up to get in the bogs ....to shoot up!!

joe.gausden

Barred for doing what?,oh and worst boozer for me is the Granton Tap that was round from Granton square.

My photo used to take pride of place behind the bar before it burnt down. Played in the Granton school team that won the Mackie Shield

Jeremy Goss

When I played in the Central Scottish Amatuer league there were some hovels in Glasgow and Motherwell the home sides would invite us back to after the game. Very rarely touched the food on offer, almost every one had no windows.

Was in the Annfield across from the Asda at Newhaven on Saturday for a quick pint and that place is a dive. Full of "locals" who stare at you as soon as you walk in.

Edited by Jambo4523

Stuart Lyon

General - thanks for clearing that up.

Norhet - not that bad. Sadly, George Squair, owner and sometimes landlord died earlier this year and the pub is now run by his wife and family. I have 2 interior photos of the pub from the 70s. One is of a local band playing to an audience of tie wearing blokes and equally well dressed ladies. The other is a photo of 5 Hearts players and the owner. Copyright ownership prevents me from posting them on JKB.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

the general

worst for fights when I started drinking were the Last Furlong,Penthouse and Lord Darnley

saw so many people glassed or battered unconscious there :-(

West End club on a Sunday was pretty mental too

Alan Johnson

Diane's Pool Hall.

Went there very early before the Celtic semi in 2012.

I'm sure there were guys there that weren't going to the game - at 8am.

Terrifying place.

Used to work near there. Passed it on my way in every morning and 9 times out of 10 there'd be guys standing outside with a pint and a fag. 8:30 on a weekday morning FFS.

Been a few and most are closed now but one that particularly sticks in my mind is the Musselburgh Arms Hotel at the town hall. Closed now but it made Beirut look like a holiday resort. Was only in it twice, got attacked at the bar because thats where the guy I was fighting with usually stands, second time I got covered in lager when the same guy spilled a drink over me when he was fighting someone else. I even stepped over a fight walking passed it on the way to the taxi rank!

Complete hole!

I was a regular in the Vietnam (Dundee Arms) before and after games back in the 80s never had any problems in there and found it ok. I remember going to a pub in Shepherds Bush once going to the bar and being told that I was the wrong colour for that part of the bar and could I go next door for service. Also went to a pub near Dagenham and Redbridge's ground before they played the O's in a pre season friendly and finding I was the only one in the place wearing a shirt, and that I "shouldn't hang around in this pub" ended up in the off license up the road, very strange experience.

Mate of mine from work went to the Annfield in Leith. (His pal is a Liverpool fan and was convinced it was a Liverpool themed pub due to the name :lol:)

Apparently when they went in the barman looked legless and this was at 1 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Before long 2 locals ended up carrying the barman up the road, and some young lad who had been sitting in the corner ended up taking the bar.

Shortly after that a woman came in clearly a local with Asda uniform on, obviously just finished her shift from the one over the road. She sat and had a drink before taking a turn on the bar herself.

Some place it seems and this was only a month or so ago.

I'm sure it was the Annfield that they discovered a dead bloke had been sitting at a table all night and nobody had noticed until they tried to chuck him out at the end of the night.

I'm sure it was the Annfield that they discovered a dead bloke had been sitting at a table all night and nobody had noticed until they tried to chuck him out at the end of the night.

sure you're not thinking of the Phoenix Club?

Auld Reekin'

If it'd been Whistlebinkies, they would've just left him out in the street when they were locking-up! :whistling:

Either the Ship Inn or the Hayweights in Musselburgh or The Sham Bam in Liverpool.

I've had a couple of good nights in The Ship Inn but Jesus it can be a scary place. The Hayweights is now a cash converters I believe.

The Sham Bam had karaoke at mid day on a Sunday. I had a hell of a hangover and as I was spewing into the urinal one of the locals who had no teeth was trying to have a conversation with me. Avoid.

There was a pub in Dublin near Ballymun which wasn't the best either.

Edited by Jambo Ell

Gauntlet,Busy Bee,Captains Cabin,Waverley,London Road Tavern,Vaults,The Dykes and The Dodger spring to mind

oh and Dickens :-)

Aye, the Captains Stabbin'

Guest GhostHunter

Norhet isn't that bad?

Sorry, should have said the timeframe..

Back in late 80's (i think) it was pretty rough in there - I remember walking home from my shift at the other pub and seeing that boy being stabbed to death by his cousin (I think) in the doorway of the Norhet.

Kind of tainted my opinion...

Say What Again

Mate of mine from work went to the Annfield in Leith. (His pal is a Liverpool fan and was convinced it was a Liverpool themed pub due to the name :lol:)

Apparently when they went in the barman looked legless and this was at 1 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. Before long 2 locals ended up carrying the barman up the road, and some young lad who had been sitting in the corner ended up taking the bar.

Shortly after that a woman came in clearly a local with Asda uniform on, obviously just finished her shift from the one over the road. She sat and had a drink before taking a turn on the bar herself.

Some place it seems and this was only a month or so ago.

I was in there for the first time about a year ago. It was tea time midweek and the place was carnage. Deal or no deal was on TV and the contestant had a turban. Every time he lost a high number the place erupted.

There was a random foreign guy in too. He was smashed and kept going on about how he was here on holiday and just wanted to make friends. I did wonder how it transpired he'd come to Edinburgh on holiday and ended up steamin in the Annfield Bar at 5pm on a Wednesday.

trinity jambo

When I played in the Central Scottish Amatuer league there were some hovels in Glasgow and Motherwell the home sides would invite us back to after the game. Very rarely touched the food on offer, almost every one had no windows.

Was in the Annfield across from the Asda at Newhaven on Saturday for a quick pint and that place is a dive. Full of "locals" who stare at you as soon as you walk in.

Got my flat down near asda couple years ago so ventured in to the annfield with the missus to see what it was like. we got the same stare. had our drinks and left, never been back.