What's the worst pub you've ever been in ?

fordy

Been in a few 'crackers' in my time, but I think the 'Carfinn Vaults' (sp?) takes the title. Went in there after a midweek match with Motherwell many moons ago. Dank, dingy, no lights in the toilets, it was like the old toilet at the 'Shed' at Tynie !In fairness to it, some of my mates were in it last year, and said it wasn't like that now. TBH, anything would be an improvement !

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

Say What Again

I've been in a few shit holes, but as I do all my drinking in Edinburgh, there's no way I'll be able to top the west coast ones.

Normthebarman didn't only visit one that springs to mind, he worked there!

I've been in a few shit holes, but as I do all my drinking in Edinburgh, there's no way I'll be able to top the west coast ones.

Normthebarman didn't only visit one that springs to mind, he worked there!

I still have nightmares.

Logue's Bar. I think it's now the Maxwell Arms. The longest 2 weeks of my life. One fight kicked off in the toilets with the regulars advising me to stay out of it. One popped in 5 minutes later and returned with the immortal line "Ye better get a mop."

I nipped in with the mop where some poor wee lad, whose only crime was to have run out of money to buy the bams drink, was wiping up his blood with his shirt as the two guys who pummelled him told me "Gie him the mop, it's his mess." It looked like a scene from CSI.

I had guys arranging to get guns, got robbed, all while I was there on my own morning to night. There's more but it'd take ages to go into it all.

Edited by Normthebarman

Been to a few horrendous pubs near the Barras pre-concert about 15 years ago.

Dangerous shit-holes full of absolute nutters.

Whats the name of the pub in broomhouse (at the back of the shop that got robbed last week)

Only ever went in once for a quick pint while I waited for the shop to open after lunch.

Quick pint is an understatement.I've never drunk a pint so fast.

Bar 67 across from the Barrowlands. Was that bad we went to the Bairds bar across the road which is the second worst pub. Mentions as well for the Clachan and Double five in Whitburn.

Fort Vallance

2 that spring to mind.

Just outside Sunderland in a place called Southwick. Can't remember the name of the pub but it was a tip. There were whippets doing laps of the pool table guys in string vests playing darts and toddlers all over the shop. The whole place went deadly silent when we walked in for about a minute, then gradually the conversation started up again. About 5 minutes in we got the "You're not from round here are you ?". As it turned out everyone was brand new when they realised we weren't there for any bother.

The other is the Queens in Green Street, just along from the Boleyn. I think it only opens on match days now and I doubt its tidied up from one game to another. Like somebody opened a bar in a derelict warehouse. Great atmosphere when the Hammers are at home though and some of the memorabelia on the wall must be worth a few bob.

Say What Again

The Pub, Stranraer.

Ended up going to Morrison's to get a carry out instead.

I've been in there and didn't think it was that bad. I've been in far worse in Leith alone :lol:

Regal Kingston

When I first went to the Pennyblack as I was walking in a bird was getting 'ochstered' down the stairs.

Went in and the average age was about 19 and full of young radges.

Lovely pint though.

Say What Again

I was in an absolute hellhole in Wigan on the way back from Anfield, but I've no idea the name of it.

I was utterly reeking by then too, so the fact it still stood out as a dump to me in that state makes it all the worse.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Was in one near Parkhead before the 98 final, can't remember the name but it was like a wartime bunker with metal bullet proof shutters, the norm for the area it seems. The ones round the barras are even worse it has to be said though.

Those are the first ones that sprang to mind for me. Baird's is the only one I know the name of but it wasn't the worst one.

I was in an absolute hellhole in Wigan on the way back from Anfield, but I've no idea the name of it.

I was utterly reeking by then too, so the fact it still stood out as a dump to me in that state makes it all the worse.

used to have to change at Wigan quite regularly, from the very 1st time I set foot outside the train station I decided that I wouldn't chance going to the corner shop for fags or a paper far less consider finding somewhere for a pint!

tartofmidlothian

Bar 67 across from the Barrowlands. Was that bad we went to the Bairds bar across the road which is the second worst pub. Mentions as well for the Clachan and Double five in Whitburn.

Those are the first ones that sprang to mind for me. Baird's is the only one I know the name of but it wasn't the worst one.

My Celtic supporting mate took us to Baird's before a couple of Barras gigs. It never seemed that bad when I was younger and less wise. Has it not been closed down recently?

tartofmidlothian

When I first went to the Pennyblack as I was walking in a bird was getting 'ochstered' down the stairs.

Went in and the average age was about 19 and full of young radges.

Lovely pint though.

Used to love the Penny Black, smelled of alcy's pipe smoke and full of bloody students like me at 7.30am still dressed for clubbing the night before.

The Comedian

The Valley Bar, High Valleyfield in Fife, circa 1986, Rough is putting it mildly

Locally known as THE PLONK.

:vrface:

Absolute dump.

Carl Fredrickson

Worst one I have ever been in was at Wigan too. Dont know the name of it but as you walk up from the pier to the town centre it is on your left.

Sunday lunchtime, driving back from Weston Super Mare, thought we would stop for a bar lunch. FIrst pub we got to advertised "food all day". We went in, the floor has about an inch of sawdust on it and the place is packed but goes silent as we walked in. It was like a freaking "Wigan Dungeon " experience and a mongrel was trying to squeeze something out its erse next to the bar.

My mate asked for a menu - which I heard everyone laugh at as I was half out the door.

Been in a few 'crackers' in my time, but I think the 'Carfinn Vaults' (sp?) takes the title. Went in there after a midweek match with Motherwell many moons ago. Dank, dingy, no lights in the toilets, it was like the old toilet at the 'Shed' at Tynie !In fairness to it, some of my mates were in it last year, and said it wasn't like that now. TBH, anything would be an improvement !

Was in the Carfin Vaults a couple of times in the late '70's. First time I ever heard of Buckfast. Had a plastic "barrell" full of it in the top of the bar. Watched locals come in with "Ginger Boatils" and fill them from the tap on the barrell. Truely horrific place.

"Worst" place I was in was after the UEFA cup match versus St. Pats in 1988. It came on a heavy shower. We were walking just on the outskirts of Ballymun. Went for shelter in this pub which reminded me of the "Tap of Lauriston" in that it was a pub with only high narrow windows on the gable of a 1950's concrete block. It was a long narrow pub with no tables, a bench seat attached to the side wall and everything else was plywood - including the gantry. Despite a 40 foot long bar, it had only 1 Guinness tap, 1 Harp Lager tap and 2 40 ounce bottles, 1 vodka and 1 whiskey, mounted on the plywood gantry either side of a baseball bat which held pride of place. We hastily removed our colours and ordered 4 pints of Guinness. The handful of locals grumbled an enquiry about the score which we sheepishly announced. They went on to give us a bit of the craic and we spent a most enjoyable hour or say. Clearly we were the novelty tourists.

adambraejambo

easy for me dusters on 118 avenue, Edmonton Canada, over there last year. the closest bar to my guest house. Karaoke 7 night a week, hookers touting for business every night in the actual bar. some local idiot wanting to go fighting because I wouldn't lend him ten dollars so he could get a round ! people actually openly shooting up in toilets.................the hooker bit was not to bad !!

Defo louden tavern full of some of the dodgiest punters I've ever had the misfortune to lay eyes on-sash played at quarter to five as the old rangers result came in from east end I think.

loveofthegame

Robbos

Took 28 posts, more than I'd expect.

Was a brilliant pub for a while back in mid 2000's.

Been in some dumps in my time, but none that stick out as being particularly harrowing.

The Valley Bar, High Valleyfield in Fife, circa 1986, Rough is putting it mildly

I thought the "top of the dive's" in Fife was the Auld Shank Inn in Ballingary.

Whats the name of the pub in broomhouse (at the back of the shop that got robbed last week)

Only ever went in once for a quick pint while I waited for the shop to open after lunch.

Quick pint is an understatement.I've never drunk a pint so fast.

The Gauntlet?

Was shut down for a period last year I think due to somebody firing a shotgun at the front door.

Never been in there, can't image the Busy Bee in Stenhouse being that inviting either.

Pete Seeger

The Gartmorn in Sauchie is best avoided. I'm not sure if it's even still open though.

I've also had the misfortune of a night out in Coatbridge - Never again.

GlasgoJambo

A lot of 'dodgy' boozers turn out not so bad once you're in - mostly auld boys minding their own business. Somewhere like those Yates pubs are much worse IMO.

The scariest boozer I've been in had to be Tir Chonails on Victoria Road in Glasgow Southside. It was like an IRA theme bar.

Bowmans_Boot

The Springfield Vaults (we were not very politely told to leave when they guessed we were Hearts fans), one in Greenock when we played Morton (one Boxing Day, I think) and one in Grimsby when I went there for work. It is THE most depressing place I have ever been to.

the general

Gauntlet,Busy Bee,Captains Cabin,Waverley,London Road Tavern,Vaults,The Dykes and The Dodger spring to mind

oh and Dickens :-)

the general

The Gauntlet?

Was shut down for a period last year I think due to somebody firing a shotgun at the front door.

Never been in there, can't image the Busy Bee in Stenhouse being that inviting either.

errm the Bee is in SAUGHTON !!

The Tower in Leith in the early eighties would always make you feel better about yourself, that that was not where you drank all the time.

Gauntlet,Busy Bee,Captains Cabin,Waverley,London Road Tavern,Vaults,The Dykes and The Dodger spring to mind

oh and Dickens :-)

The Dykes is a good call, long gone now though

dodethejambo

My Celtic supporting mate took us to Baird's before a couple of Barras gigs. It never seemed that bad when I was younger and less wise. Has it not been closed down recently?

Bairds bar was a s**t hole (now closed) and the clientele were stoaters I think there was a pecking order...the most scars is the head honcho and the men were just as bad.

In Bar67 last month (paddy's day) and they stopped serving and made everyone stand up cause someone with FTQ in marker on his forehead started to sing some irish national song

Blue Ice I think it was called bar/ club South Shields. In there years ago with a mate after 2 bursds dragged us there on easter sunday as it was the only place open after midnight. We were the only Scottish guys in there and the mate had blue hair ( dont ask why ) so we stuck out like a sore thumb. We watched as a mass brawl started with some guys in Sunderland tops Cracking bottles of some bursds head because she shouted out **** the mackems.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

A pub down here called Bonds which was a hun pub

Went in a couple times to catch hearts v rangers games that werent on tv

Full of half cut smelly huns in the middle of the day

In trouble with the licensing polis every week for people being drunk, sectarian songs being belted out or "Bobby Sands Broth" being written on the specials board on the day of an OF match

As far as Edinburgh goes my dad always says the Good Companions at oxgangs was one of the roughest pubs