Should Gary Locke manage Heart of Midlothian next season?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Should Gary Locke be manager of Heart of Midlothian next season?  

1,270 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Locke be manager of Heart of Midlothian next season?

• Yes
    • No

Geoff Kilpatrick

Following on from the resignation poll, it is obviously clear that there will be no resignation this season. The question now is whether our forthcoming brave new world should keep Gary Locke at the helm.

Tough call Geoff.

He's now got the players working for each other - do you continue that? I mean what a shitty hand to be dealt as a rookie manager, perhaps he's been forged in the fire so to speak and won't wilt under pressure of a campaign for promotion. I don't know - we used to give managers the luxury of their own team/season to prove themselves - now we demand their heads at half time!

John Colquhoun

Unless Craig Levein is up for it, then yes. Gary has had a sharp learning curve, but the last few matches have shown promise.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

HMFC-TILL-I-DIE

I would say yes give Gary another season lets judge him when he is allowed to bring in his own players .yes he has made mistakes but show me a rookie manager that doesnt i can understand ppl saying we cant risk getting stuck in a lower division for longer than a season whos to say that we would get promoted at the first go enyway. and besides the players seem to respect and play for Gary ..whos to say they would respect Another manager coming in ??

Chad Sexington

Absolutely no way should he be manager of Hearts next season. He's been shown up for his lack of tactical awareness and inability to spot a player. In almost every big game, he's been found wanting.

He 's a good bloke and a massive Hearts fan, but so am I, and you wouldn't want me managing the club. :(

Watt-Zeefuik

I think he's shown plenty to come back as a first team coach, but unless a good dozen reasonable candidates I can think of pass on the job, I'd say no. If we can't get someone with a strong resume (I'm thinking Sergio, Levein, my personal favorite Martin Rennie, etc.), I don't want to go dredging through minor candidates just to make a change; if we can't find someone who's an obvious step up, then Locke should stay. I think he's learning to swim after getting chucked into the deep end.

But I think we will find someone and make the change.

Morgaro Gomis

Although I believe that Locke has the potential to become a good manager for us in the future; I don't believe the potential outweighs the risk of not coming straight back up - which IMO we need to do.

Add this to the fact that I believe Locke staying on may have a negative effect on crowds - hence affecting us financially, and competitively - results in me having to vote no.

I do wish to say thanks to Locke, as I don't doubt his passion and willingness to improve and do the best for Hearts. I just don't think we can risk another poor season.

You can only pish with the boaby you have and whilst Locke seems to have stopped spraying in multiple directions his early urinations were poor. He could have adjusted his foreskin a little and achieved a straight jet but it took him ages to notice he was even splashing. I dunno, was in the Locke out camp, will see if he keeps a steady stream between now and the end of the season.

Morgaro Gomis

You can only pish with the boaby you have and whilst Locke seems to have stopped spraying in multiple directions his early urinations were poor. He could have adjusted his foreskin a little and achieved a straight jet but it took him ages to notice he was even splashing. I dunno, was in the Locke out camp, will see if he keeps a steady stream between now and the end of the season.

:lol: :lol:

Big Slim Stylee

I think he's shown plenty to come back as a first team coach, but unless a good dozen reasonable candidates I can think of pass on the job, I'd say no. If we can't get someone with a strong resume (I'm thinking Sergio, Levein, my personal favorite Martin Rennie, etc.), I don't want to go dredging through minor candidates just to make a change; if we can't find someone who's an obvious step up, then Locke should stay. I think he's learning to swim after getting chucked into the deep end.

But I think we will find someone and make the change.

Sigh. No he hasn't. No he shouldn't. I appreciate your thoughts chap but you don't understand the paucity of the Scottish leagues and us having Locke as a "first team coach".

When even ICT employ a woeful Neanderthal that makes a final above us - with the most shambolic dual "coaching" of a major semi final ever. Two clueless managers dualing it out when it was quite obvious to us mere mortals what needed to be done on the pitch?

No thanks. No (mod edit)thanks. A half decent manager might have given us a chance this season by not moaning, not insisting on playing a system that didn't work, not playing people out of position and being remotely adaptable to circumstance and not being beholden to a man who's "been places and seen things" and whose time has quite clearly passed.

kingantti1874

I think Gary has shown a lot more over the last few weeks and I'm no where near as worried about going into the season with lockey in charge , that said it's potentially the most important season in our history and is prefer to go into it with Craig Llevein in the seat.

Personally - I'd like to see him take a job in management elsewhere - ,somewhere where he will have to stand on his own 2 feet and can't be accused of getting an easy time because of who he is... And if he does a good job and proves himself again hopefully he could come back in the future and take control of the club under better circumstance..

As I keep on saying even with all the restrictions he has worked under he has shown nothing that I would expect from a manager with true potential.

His philosophy on football appears to be he likes to attack which is why he prefers 4-4-2. Schoolboy stuff.

Apart from that we know nothing about how he views coaching, other than

For half the season he focused on experience, even if it meant players out of position, over talent

He stumbled across his best performing players of the season and played them only with injury to more experienced players

He publicly stated on a number of occasions he had no options when he had options. 2 of what have proven to be our best players of the season if you take account of minutes on the pitch - Carrick and Nicholson - fall into this 'not an option' category of Locke's

Even when it was clear what a difference Carrick made to our frontline Locke CHOSE to drop him for McCallum who had shown nothing up until this time.

Players who showed promise last season - Wilson, McHattie, Patterson - went backwards this season. A lot backwards. Patterson for example clearly knows more than Locke about where he can best serve the team.

Far too many fails from Locke even given the circumstances

It's a no from me

skinnybob72

I expected a lot more from the team this season and certainly didn't expect us to be bottom by more than the 15 point deduction.

I'm not sure how much of this is down to Locke and how much is down to the players making the same basic errors week in week out.

If we get rid and we make a poor start next season will we be looking for another change? We run the risk of becoming Hibs in terms of manager changes. We need a period of stability and maybe that means sticking with Locke for the time being.

He has 5 games to prove he is worth keeping.

Charlie-Brown

For the Championship no not in my opinion but if we ended up liquidated and a Newco in the bottom tiers then yes he's as good as anyone.

If the current players want him - yes. If not - no.

I imagine it's somewhere in-between though.

Pants Shaton

25% yes - unbelievable!

25% of JKB users clearly not grasping the catastrophic effect that getting stuck in the championship would have.

'He's been working with his hands tied', 'He needs the chance to bring his own players in' - the same was true of Frail and there's no way 25% would be willing to risk him as our manager next year. Amazing how far being a 'gid jambo' will get you.

Praying he wont be but unfortunately i believe he will. Hopefully a few good performances against woeful teams don't cloud the judgement of the people who will be deciding.

No. We can't risk getting stuck in the lower divisions for more than a season.

Agreed.

Locke staying on may have a negative effect on crowds

Also agree with this.

And can we not let this thread turn into a shambles arguing about why Craig Levein would be a great/shit appointment please?

Locke remaining at the club could well kill us off.

His record has been abysmal and we need a manager that can build a team quickly that is going to win most weeks, which is what you are going to need to do to finish in the top 2.

His lack of tactical awareness in all the big games has been obvious for anyone to see. We lost all our "must win" games against those around us and were humiliated by 9 men in the League Cup. Lets not even go into the Scottish Cup...

The Real Maroonblood

Absolutely no way should he be manager of Hearts next season. He's been shown up for his lack of tactical awareness and inability to spot a player. In almost every big game, he's been found wanting.

He 's a good bloke and a massive Hearts fan, but so am I, and you wouldn't want me managing the club. :(

Agreed.

Can clubs loan out managers like they do with players?

Get CL in for a couple of years while GL is learning at Alloa (or whoever)?

Boaby Ewing

I'm amazed 25 percent of JKB readers didn't watch the league cup semi.

He is getting to know the players, they are all learning together, a year or two in the Championship and they'll all be ready for the SPL

He is getting to know the players, they are all learning together, a year or two in the Championship and they'll all be ready for the SPL

I am absolutely stunned that some people want to keep a proven failure of a manager who got us relegated, and try him out in the Championship for a couple of years, rather than recruit a proven manager.

Fortunately I believe Ann Budge will have seen things differently over the past year and a half from her seat in the upper Wheatfield.

No chance. His tactics in most of the 'must win' games this season have not been positive enough for my liking. In certain games we should have been going all out for the three points, I don't think he did this.

Cut The Crap

Assuming we are out of administration and that there is no one better available, then the answer is probably no.

Those are still two pretty big assumptions though, so too early to vote for me.

I am absolutely stunned that some people want to keep a proven failure of a manager who got us relegated, and try him out in the Championship for a couple of years, rather than recruit a proven manager.

Fortunately I believe Ann Budge will have seen things differently over the past year and a half from her seat in the upper Wheatfield.

The SPL has been too big a challenge for the manager and the players this season but they are young and inexperienced and they have time on their side.

Happy to keep the failures for now.

I imagine some of the players will want him to continue, but in light of other bits of discussion here I'd like edit my comment to 'if the players want him over a proven other manager' then I think the players feelings should be counted. I'd hate to lose a lot of them, then again some should go. GL has had a horrible task, and yes he has been poor at the job - but at times, like lately, the players really seem able to pull together for him. I agree he has been guff but I'd like to hope the recent results show some development from this awful season. The only poll that would really tell something different to the usual 40-60 swing back and forth, is if it's GL Vs (insert name of proven manager with CONFIRMED interest).

Tommy Wiseau

The cognitive faculties of some Hearts fans is ******* harrowing.

Correct. Astonishing stuff.

A year or two?

Sorry, but a year is more than enough for Heart of Midlothian.

We get someone in who will get us back up first time, and that's the end of it.

I feel sorry for Gary and think the job was too big for him as a first job. He may well become a good manager and this season he has conducted himself with dignity and honesty throughout. He has also learned a lot this year about himself and his players. However, I think we need to start next season, if there is to be a next season on the front foot. We can't allow Rangers to get away from us whilst we are waiting to see if Gary, with a couple of his own signings is the man for the job. For that reason I think he should be replaced.

Ecce Romanov

I'd like to see CL come in as Director of football and for Locke to stay on

upgotheheads

Really? could it have been the loss of almost all of our senior pros and best players, and a 15 point penalty, and having to play with youngsters who should have been introduced gradually rather than forced into the first team that got us frelegated. Could any of that have had any influence do you think?

Pants Shaton

A year or two?

Sorry, but a year is more than enough for Heart of Midlothian.

We get someone in who will get us back up first time, and that's the end of it.

But won't it be nice to drive to a few more shite, middle-of-nowhere towns, to drink Tennents in different shitty boozers and get to stand at some dilapidated shit box grounds?

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Some think he has shown potential :rofl:

I remain convinced that every other manager in the SPFL would have kept us up.

I think he might have something given enough time, but then again, it might just be wishful thinking on my part given that he's such a decent bloke and a good Hearts fan. Feck it I would keep him.

Dirty Deeds

Not sacking him whilst in administration has been the correct thing to do. However his contract cannot be renewed.

Its time for a fresh start.

I see his immediate family are still keeping a close eye on this forum. What a large family he must have!

Over 25% is absolutely astonishing!

Ryan Jarman

No. He can either stay to keep those pesky cones and bibs in check or go away to the lower divisions, learn his trade as a manager from the bottom and once he's proved himself come back to us one day. We cannot gamble on him next season, good Hearts man or not.

25% of Hearts fans do realise dont they that the Championship next season will basically not be far off SPL standard?

We will still need a good manager to get us into the top positions in this league.

Gary has been fortunate - he has had 12 month job interview for the role. He didnt pass the interview.

Francis Albert

Of course he should be given a chance under "normal" circumstances. No brainer.

I've always thought "no brainer" should mean the opposite of its normal meaning. As here. Worrying that retaining Locke is even considered a possibility. And next

season will not be remotely "normal circumstances".

I'm in the 'on the fence' camp - If he gets another 5 good performances until the end of season then I would say yes give him a month or 2 in the championship, some experienced players to supplement the current youngsters should be promising.

Any more slips with now having no pressure then let's move on- risk whatever way we look at it.

Archived