"Following" another team in different sports

Matthew Le Tissier

Matthew Le Tissier

I know alot of you guys on here all follow NFL, NRL,NHL etc etc

Whos your team in the sports you follow?

Rugby - Boroughmuir played for them from p3 to U18s. Keep an eye on thier results.

NFL- Arizona Cardinals when visiting my Aunt in Phionex i was taken to the stadium and ever since have had a soft spot

MLB- Arizona Diamondbacks went to a game vs the Padres in 04 and Randy Johnson got his 4000th strikeout. So follwed them ever since

Geoff Kilpatrick

In rugby I follow Ulster and Ireland. In the NFL I've followed the Patriots since the early Channel 4 days. In the AFL, my kids have split loyalties (St Kilda and Geelong) so I stay neutral but want them to both do well and finally, in cricket, I follow Worcestershire and Victoria.

Rugby - NSW Waratahs

Rugby League - Wests Tigers

AFL - Sydney Swans

Cricket - Sydney Sixers

Given I'm also partial to Sydney FC, there are weeks in March and April when I have 5 "football" teams I am following.

They have NEVER all won on the same weekend.

But the Swans, the Tigers and Hearts all won the Cup in 05/06 and the Swannies and Hearts both won in 12.

The Internet

I used to watch a bit of NBA before I moved to sky and forgot BT Sport doesn't come with sky. Seething at that. But I still keep an eye on the Houston Rockets scores, mostly because they were my first team in the NBA 2k games.

Geoff Kilpatrick

??? Is there a link there for you?

Nope. Just picked them as a county side, although my first bat was a Duncan Fearnley :)

Nope. Just picked them as a county side, although my first bat was a Duncan Fearnley :)

I should have added NSW for cricket, but Sheffield Shield bores me to tears, so I would be lying to say I even slightly care how they go.

My first bat was a Fearnley too - but I didnt know (until i looked it up just now) that they were made in Worcester. I probably should have.

bajthejambo

Indiana Pacers in the NBA. Since back when you used to get coverage on channel 4 in the 90's. Reggie Miller was the reason I took to them.

loveofthegame

Rugby I'm a Heriots man, plus Edinburgh at pro-level obviously. And obviously Scotland for all my sins.

Tennis isn't a team sport obviously but huge Murray fan.

Cricket is the only sport I actively follow England in. I detest their football and rugby teams but big fan of the cricket side.

PsychocAndy

I don't "do" sports, but if there is a Scot playing, Murray, Di Rossa, Lawrie and Gallagher, I keep an eye on the results and if they win, look out the highlights.

I hate team sports so couldn't really care about them.

In pre PC times I used to think Rugby was played by Posh inbreds with **** strength but now in more enlightened times I just think it should be a Paralympic sport.

scott_jambo

In pre PC times I used to think Rugby was played by Posh inbreds with **** strength but now in more enlightened times I just think it should be a Paralympic sport.

It's political correctness gone mad, mate.

Sexton Hardcastle

Always like Oakland/LA Raiders since NWA and that crowd. Realise they pretty pump and have watched the majority of their games over the past two years. Slowy moving forward it appears.

The White Cockade

Speedway - Edinburgh Monarchs

Ice Hockey - Murrayfield Racers (as was)

Rugby - Edinburgh, Western Province, Stormers

Golf - Jack Nicklaus, Ernie Els

MLB - Atlanta Braves

NFL - Atlanta Falcons

Follow both as I went to see them when I was over in Atlanta about 8 years back and stuck with them since.

NHL - Vancouver Canucks

NFL - Seattle Seahawks.

CFL - BC Lions

MLS - Vancouver Whitecaps.

Speedway Edinburgh Monarchs.. Ice hockey. Edinburgh Capitals.... I go to both plus Hearts wondered why I was always skint....

Only other team sport I have any interest in (and even then it's not a very big interest at all) is NFL. 49ers is the team I 'follow'.

I wouldn't necessarily say 'follow' but the ones that give you a wee 'Yas' moment inside when you hear they've won.

NHL - Montreal Canadiens (being born in Canada I followed them before I'd even heard of HMFC)

NFL - Denver Broncos (a cousin I stayed with in California was a fan so I just followed suit)

MLB - Toronto Blue Jays (was NYY thanks to MAD magazine, but the late Tom Heaney of this parish persuaded me that they're the equivalent of both halves of the OF combined with Manchester Unoited)

NBA - Sacramento Kings (if they even still exist...new franchise started up around about when I stayed in Sacramento for a wee while...same time as Broncos)

Rugby - Gala (just after we'd got our first colour telly in the 70s Scotsport was showing a Gala v Hawick game and it was simply the shirt colour that hooked me)

Cricket - Lancashire (thanks to Clive Lloyd playing for them - the coolest cricketer ever)

English fitba - Liverpool (since FA Cup final 1971 when a neighbour came along to watch and said he liked them)

Look out for Texas A&M's scores in the NCAA. No connection to them at all though, decided to "follow" them after getting into the college football because they play in maroon and white.

NFL - 49ers.

Just from watching them in the eighties on Chennel 4 and they were winning a lot of Superbowls. Also had a soft spot for the Dolphins as well for some reason.

I support Minnesota Vikings. I was in a bar once and got chatting to some yank. I said I would support them if he supported Hearts.

In the NFL, the Houston Texans. I have had a season ticket for about five years.

I like the Rockets, and go to the occasional game. Couldn't care less about baseball.

Scott_HMFC1874

NFL - AZ Cardinals

Ice Hockey - Braehead Clan

Look out for the Buffalo Sabres scores in the NHL but I just find the NHL too hard to follow with week in and out!

Seymour M Hersh

MLB - Padres used to go to see them when lived in San Diego.

NFL - Chargers rarely got to see them when there as sold out every week because they were good under Coryell.

NBA - Clippers as they were in SD when I first lived there

Collage Basketball UNC Tarheels from my time living in NC.

Cricket - Lancashire

GlasgoJambo

Always like Oakland/LA Raiders since NWA and that crowd.

A to the m****f***** K.

I don't follow any non football teams really, however my auntie lived in the LA area so gave me a Raiders t-shirt when I was wee. And then when NWA came about that just sealed the deal. Actually much prefer the mercandise to the team and haven't watched a game of NFL in about 18 years. I have however just been lent the box set of Friday Night Lights and that's stoking my interest a bit.

Nominally Watsonian's at rugby and England and Essex at cricket. I also like the West Indies.

England at cricket which is a common one but they're bumped after bullying them dumping Pieterson.

Wales at rugby as she is Welsh and they're shit hot aggressive and stylish with likes of Gatland and Mike Phillips.

Never had satellite tv or travelled much so not really got into much else.

Ryan Jarman

NFL - Saints - went to a game when on holiday

NRL - South Sydney Rabbitohs - Stayed with my relatives in Aus for a few months and went to some games (Had a player called John Sutton at the time too :lol:)

Rugby - Edinburgh/Scotland (Soft spot for Ulster/Ireland because of my bird)

English football - Rochdale - Cousins are from there

Sexton Hardcastle

A to the m****f***** K.

I don't follow any non football teams really, however my auntie lived in the LA area so gave me a Raiders t-shirt when I was wee. And then when NWA came about that just sealed the deal. Actually much prefer the mercandise to the team and haven't watched a game of NFL in about 18 years. I have however just been lent the box set of Friday Night Lights and that's stoking my interest a bit.

Get on it. Lyla Gerrity and the coaches daughter become decent wee bursd. Like watching Meadow Soprano all over again.

I used to follow Edinburgh Monarchs when I was a nipper, home meets where at powder hall back then,

NFL Cincinnati Bengals - Saw em on a documentary and liked em

MLB - New York Mets. Went to see em play Philly at Citi Field when we were in NY. Typical me. Not going to win a lot.

NHL - Vancouver Canucks cos the bairn is living in Vancouver just now

Used to follow MIM Livingston basketball team when I was still at high school because I got a free season ticket from the school. They had a good team playing at the Forum which beat the Soviet Union Olympic team. All this was before Murray pulled out to focus in on Rangers.

Round about the same time Jordan and Pippen were tearing it up in the NBA so I started liking the Bulls. Still look out for scores but not watched a game in years due to not having satellite tv.

The only other team sport where i support a team is rugby. After being brought up in gala, as with football, I'm a maroon fan

The "" around following got me thinking....are Hearts/football anyones second team/sport?

Almost.

Hearts are absolutely number one for me. But beyond that, I have grown pretty bored of football in general. Scottish football is a mess, and European football is so dominated by the rich clubs, I find it tedious. I barely watch any English games, although it is more interesting this season. I will be watching the World Cup, mind.

Overall, I must admit to preferring NFL. During the season, I'll quite happily spend all day on a Sunday watching games. It's simply more competitive, I think.

The "" around following got me thinking....are Hearts/football anyones second team/sport?

Football's my second to (Ice) Hockey and has been since I was a wee boy.

And to answer the OP:

Hockey: Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL), Edinburgh Capitals (EIHL). I also look out for HC 07 Presov (Mrs Hometown) and AK Bars Kazan (KHL).

American Football: San Francisco 49ers

Rugby League: Wigan

Basketball: Chicago Bulls

Baseball: Oakland A's

Speedway: Edinburgh Monarchs (I wish I could get to more meets!)

Handball: Tatran Presov (see above!)

Rupert Pupkin

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Reds

Toronto Maple Leafs

Edinburgh Capitals

Matthew Le Tissier

Saints are my home team, but ive been in Edinburgh since 97 so in a way Hearts are my 2nd team

Archived