Malaysian airlines flight missing

Swarlos

Malaysian airlines have lost all contact with flight MH370 one hour after it departed Kuala Lumpur for Beijing. The flight was at cruising altitude and I believe it should have landed in Beijing by now so it's not looking good at all.

The story broke on CNN 2 hours ago and still no contact. That doesn't happen unless the plane is down.. Horrible stuff.

One source reckons the last signal received was around 120 nautical miles off the east coast of Kota Bharu in Malaysia...

Strange that no call from the pilots. Suggests a catastrophic incident.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The_razors_edge

My thoughts really go out to all those on that plane and their families. If indeed it has crashed in to the sea what a horrific way to go

Stewart MacD

I fly with MAS. Very reliable airline, B777 really good record.

Around 125 pax from PRC, Maybe a religious nutjob from Xinjiang aboard?

Rupert Pupkin

Aviation expert on Sky News has just said catastrophic mechanical failure does not happen on these modern aircraft.Looks pretty grim. :-(

The_razors_edge

Aviation expert on Sky News has just said catastrophic mechanical failure does not happen on these modern aircraft.Looks pretty grim. :-(

I saw that guy and was trying to listen to what he was saying but the mrs and kids were making a racket so didn't really hear what he said. I'm assuming this means he thinks that it's been a terrorist incident?

An 11 year old 777 doesn't just fall out of the sky and Malaysian are renowned for their safety record.

This is most people's worst nightmare.

I'll be flying out of Kuala Lumpur with Malaysian in a few months. Not that it matters.

Thoughts go out to all the friends and family.

Stewart MacD

CVhina News has reported Vietnamese troops have found oil traces extending kilometres in the sea.

TheMaganator

This is not looking good at all, claims that someone was on board using a stolen Italian passport.

Two passengers on manifest that didn't make it into the flight were using passports that'd been stolen in Thailand

Two passengers on manifest that didn't make it into the flight were using passports that'd been stolen in Thailand

God knows what you would be feeling if you didn't board a flight that ended up crashing.

On a side note, I'm flying to Chicago next month and I hate flying.

This does nothing to calm my nerves.

TheMaganator

God knows what you would be feeling if you didn't board a flight that ended up crashing.

I think it was a case of there being suspicion around the use of the Passports - rather than the real owners just not getting in the flight.

The people using the passports didn't board the flight or the people who's passport it actually was didn't board the flight?

Auldreekie1874

The people using the passports didn't board the flight or the people who's passport it actually was didn't board the flight?

The people who's passport it actually was didn't board the flight.

So, are there suspicions that the folk using the stolen passports were responsible for it going down?

Ibrahim Tall

Pretty weird coincidence that two people from two completely different countries who had their passports stolen months ago at completely different times would suddenly have their passports used to board the same flight that would just 'disappear' despite both the plan and airlines pretty excellent safety record.

One of the passports was stolen in Thailand I believe. Do we know if the other one was the same?

I read that they're both being flown in to help with investigations but I don't think either of them are under suspicion. They're just two blokes who had their passports randomly stolen - or so they thought.

What I don't get at all is how two stolen passports which would have been cancelled got them through security. One could be explained away as a mistake, but two managing the same thing? Too much coincidence.

jamboinglasgow

Pretty weird coincidence that two people from two completely different countries who had their passports stolen months ago at completely different times would suddenly have their passports used to board the same flight that would just 'disappear' despite both the plan and airlines pretty excellent safety record.

Could it be the real life Lost...

Did they ever find out what happened to that Air France flight that disappeared en route from Rio to Paris? I was on the equivalent flight the week before.

Ibrahim Tall

Did they ever find out what happened to that Air France flight that disappeared en route from Rio to Paris? I was on the equivalent flight the week before.

Found it in the ocean a while after iirc. Think they even managed to recover some of the victims. Can't remember what the explanation for the crash was though.

Initial investigation was hampered because authorities were unable to locate the wreckage; it was located nearly two years after the accident, and the aircraft's black boxes were finally recovered from the ocean floor in May 2011.[1][6] The final report, released at a news conference on 5 July 2012,[7][8] stated that the aircraft crashed after temporary inconsistencies between the airspeed measurements?likely due to the aircraft's pitot tubes being obstructed by ice crystals?caused the autopilot to disconnect, after which the crew reacted incorrectly and ultimately led the aircraft to an aerodynamic stall from which they did not recover.

Stewart MacD

I hope the Malaysians are checking the CCTV from the terminal at KLIA to identify the 2 using the stolen passports. As the owners are Italian and Austrian, I imagine the photos have been switched, hardly an amateur job. Security's pretty tight there, with Police and private company personnel, as well as MAS check-in staff doing a visual check against the passport.

I'll be on MAS up to KL then Beijing later this month.

I get the feeling security will be tight.

I'm not sure what the level of passport fraud is. It could be that on any flight with hundreds of people there will be one or two carrying false documents?

Angry Haggis

Found it in the ocean a while after iirc. Think they even managed to recover some of the victims. Can't remember what the explanation for the crash was though.

Frozen pitot tubes (think that's what they are called) that measure airspeed...led to confusion in the cockpit and essentially the pilots misi-interpreting the situ and crashing the plane.

I'm not sure what the level of passport fraud is. It could be that on any flight with hundreds of people there will be one or two carrying false documents?

Would doubt it's as common as that but I'd agree with your point in general. There are enough people travelling on false papers for it to be a coincidence and it's probably unrelated.

If it was terrorism someone would be claiming responsibility.

scottish_chicP

I only landed at Kuala Lumpur to refuel en route to Oz a few years ago. We were there for less than an hour but you had to get off the plane and go back through very tight security to get back on. That was us not even leaving the gate we landed at.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Report says the aircraft was turning back before it vanished. No distress call. Sounds like highjact attempt as crew would have warned ATC of change in flight plan.

Need to get the black boxes to find out

Yup. Won't really know anything until then.

Apparently the stolen passport holders were booked onward to Amsterdam from Beijing.

Yup. Won't really know anything until then.

Apparently the stolen passport holders were booked onward to Amsterdam from Beijing.

That's a long way for a short cut. Nobody found that strange?

That's a long way for a short cut. Nobody found that strange?

I'm flying direct from KUL to AMS in the summer. Don't see why you'd ever go via Beijing.

My brother was working in Brazil when the Air France flight went down and the flight he would get back home was the Monday morning Air France flight to CDG.

Simplistically as he was working 6 weeks on 6 weeks off, it was a one in 12 chance of being on the flight that went down. However, a couple of guys who worked with him were on the flight that went down. And one had swapped flights home with a colleague.

Maybe they were using European passports to get into Europe for work.

Would you really need to steal someone's passport just to bring down a plane?

You might if you were on some sort of security blacklist, yes.

Pohang Jambo

I'll be flying into KL on Wednesday, and then onto Hong Kong on Saturday. Sad sad story and can't imagine what the families and people on board went through/are going through.

Actually just thought, they'd probably have to apply for Chinese visa or something if Beijing was last destination. Probably wanted to remove that particular layer of checks so had final destination in Europe instead.

Edit: Just found this in one of the news articles, I was thinking kind of along the right lines.

"Under a recently launched exemption programme, citizens of many Western nations are granted visa-free entry for 72 hours upon arrival in Beijing as long as they have an onward ticket."

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. I don't know much about politics in that area, any idea what the likely motive could be?

Archived