• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Mikey1874

• Sten Guns

• redm

More guilty than OJ but his defence lawyer needs to bring the ill-fitting gloves into evidence. I would have said he'd get off if it was trial by jury but as it will be decided by one single judge (and African at that), I cannot see him getting anything less than guilty of manslaughter.

Can't understand why sky news are giving it such heavy coverage.

Sky News are ****s, that's why

Premeditated imo

He didn't see anyone so why instantly think it was an intruder when he knew his girlfriend was in the house with him ?

Why not sound some warning shots ( if he was so intent on using his gun ) in to the roof to scare off any intruder or even just threaten them verbally that he had a gun and is not afraid to use it ?

Why not wait until the person came out of the toilet ?

Apparently the defence argument is going to be that he is trigger-happy but in the sense that he's a'finely tuned athlete' and reacts to his instincts or something and therefore it's meant to be understandable that he would shoot first and ask questions later, despite not having checked that she was ok first. Or something. Is the case not also that he was on his stumps and therefore felt vulnerable and reacted accordingly? Re: the gun, apparently gun culture in SA is such that you might choose to shoot first before they shoot you.

I have no idea what to make of this case, it's just so unpleasant. I hate the way she's always portrayed as the 'leggy blonde model' and he's some sort of 'uber-masculine sporting icon' when they write about it. How her family are coping with this, I'll never know.

As for Paddy Power, they're just pathetic. So pathetic. What a fun game this death thing is. FFS.

Apparently the defence argument is going to be that he is trigger-happy but in the sense that he's a'finely tuned athlete' and reacts to his instincts or something and therefore it's meant to be understandable that he would shoot first and ask questions later, despite not having checked that she was ok first. Or something. Is the case not also that he was on his stumps and therefore felt vulnerable and reacted accordingly? Re: the gun, apparently gun culture in SA is such that you might choose to shoot first before they shoot you.

I have no idea what to make of this case, it's just so unpleasant. I hate the way she's always portrayed as the 'leggy blonde model' and he's some sort of 'uber-masculine sporting icon' when they write about it. How her family are coping with this, I'll never know.

As for Paddy Power, they're just pathetic. So pathetic. What a fun game this death thing is. FFS.

I think that is what I find strange. If I thought there was an intruder in my house, the first thing I would be concerned with would be the wellbeing of my partner.

Not to unload a barrel in her ass.

ArcticJambo

Premeditated imo

He didn't see anyone so why instantly think it was an intruder when he knew his girlfriend was in the house with him ?

Why not sound some warning shots ( if he was so intent on using his gun ) in to the roof to scare off any intruder or even just threaten them verbally that he had a gun and is not afraid to use it ?

Why not wait until the person came out of the toilet ?

These are my questions too. By all accounts he's a bit of a macho mentalist, and I'd be inclined to think had he really thought an intruder was behind his bathroom door he'd have confronted him rather than cowardly shoot through a door. Welt, whichever way you look at it. Send him down.

doctor jambo

Is it just me that thinks that even if it was an "accident" that he should still be going to jail?

Maroon Sailor

Oscar breaks down in tears and spews his ring in court at the graphic details of Reeva's injuries.

doctor jambo

Well, so far all the witnesses have been consistant, and very much in the anti-Oscar camp, even his employess, neighbours and ex girlfriends.

It will take a lot for his defence to deflect this Tsunami of corroboration.

the- "but I'm a Hero" defence may not suffice in this instance

He cannot even pull the race card.

He may attempt the "disabled" stunt ( as OJ did with his arthritis) , but as he has always been at pains to be seen as equal then I think he's pretty rubber ducked

Guest GhostHunter

Still think he'll get off with it.

He will when the prosecution are struggling - when I read their main evidence over the last couple of days was "Who called Who First" between him and the night guard, I knew he'll be walking away scot free.

He will when the prosecution are struggling - when I read their main evidence over the last couple of days was "Who called Who First" between him and the night guard, I knew he'll be walking away scot free.

I got to that point right after I realised they'd spent two days discussing whether or not Oscar screams like a girl.

Defence says he does, witnesses (incl ex girlfriend) insisted he doesn't. So now you know.

Maroon Sailor

Still think he'll get off with it.

He's a killer and I find it difficult to see how he can, not will as Barry Roux will just try to pour doubts on everything and confuse the shit out of people by his often repeated questions he already has an answer to. When he repeatedly asks that the shots the witnesses heard could have mistaken for the sound of a cricket bat by them he is almost putting them on trial.

There could be a dangerous precedent set here as well if he does get away with murder. Nothing to stop anybody killing their partners then claiming they thought it was an intruder.

He's a killer and I find it difficult to see how he can, not will as Barry Roux will just try to pour doubts on everything and confuse the shit out of people by his often repeated questions he already has an answer to. When he repeatedly asks that the shots the witnesses heard could have mistaken for the sound of a cricket bat by them he is almost putting them on trial.

There could be a dangerous precedent set here as well if he does get away with murder. Nothing to stop anybody killing their partners then claiming they thought it was an intruder.

Equally there could be a dangerous precedent set if we start locking people up on guess work and assumptions.

The burden lies with the justice system to prove guilt. It's not easy.

Maroon Sailor

Equally there could be a dangerous precedent set if we start locking people up on guess work and assumptions.

That's already been set.

Most recently with David Gilroy in the Suzanne Pilley case.

The prosecution case was based purely on circumstantial evidence.

That's already been set.

Far more circumstantial evidence than is present in the Oscar case.

The Gilroy case was pretty straight forward in comparison!

I don't think that conviction is anywhere near unsafe.

Far more circumstantial evidence than is present in the Oscar case.

The Gilroy case was pretty straight forward in comparison!

I don't think that conviction is anywhere near unsafe.

This. The only thing they didn't have was the body in that case.

The People's Chimp

That's already been set.

Yes, you're right. The two cases are identical. Additionally, South African Courts are also bound by precedent set in Scottish criminal cases.

Maroon Sailor

Yes, you're right. The two cases are identical. Additionally, South African Courts are also bound by precedent set in Scottish criminal cases.

Eh ?

The toilet door and cricket bat have now entered proceedings.

I tell you, if he ends up getting off on some sort of technicality guaranteed it'll be a technicality which has something to do with the way in which the police conducted the investigation and protected the evidence.

"Hello Mr Forensics man, there are parts of the door missing."

"Yes, there are."

"Do you have them? Have you tested them?"

"Nope. They weren't delivered with the rest of the door."

"Where are they?"

"I dunno."

FFS.

Maroon Sailor

I tell you, if he ends up getting off on some sort of technicality guaranteed it'll be a technicality which has something to do with the way in which the police conducted the investigation and protected the evidence.

"Hello Mr Forensics man, there are parts of the door missing."

"Yes, there are."

"Do you have them? Have you tested them?"

"Nope. They weren't delivered with the rest of the door."

"Where are they?"

"I dunno."

FFS.

Barry Roux is just hell bent on making things as complicated as possible.

Even the Judge must be getting confused

Oscar leaves his bedroom in the early hours, on his stumps, closes balcony doors that had been open.

During this time, unbeknown to him, Reeva nips to the loo.

He heads back to bedroom and hears noises in the bathroom. The only window without burglar bars.

He's only on his stumps, feels vulnerable and unable to protect himself.

He shots through the door 4 times. An act of understandable panic given it's SA and he feels vulnerable.

He tries to open the door, but it's locked. He heads back to the bedroom to get a bat to bash the door in and also put his stumps on.

It's at this point, after turning lights on, he realises Reeva isn't in bed.

He then bashes the door with the bat to gain entry. Also kicking it with his blades.

Upon doing so, devastatingly he finds Reeva dead.

Now......... We all probably think this isn't true. But how the hell are they going to prove otherwise without sheer guesswork.

Genuinely think he'll get off with it.

mattyw_1874

Oscar leaves his bedroom in the early hours, on his stumps, closes balcony doors that had been open.

He heads back to bedroom and hears noises in the bathroom. The only window without burglar bars.

He shots through the door 4 times. An act of understandable panic given it's SA and he feels vulnerable.

He tries to open the door, but it's locked. He heads back to the bedroom to get a bat to bash the door in and also put his stumps on.

He then bashes the door with the bat to gain entry. Also kicking it with his blades.

Now......... We all probably think this isn't true. But how the hell are they going to prove otherwise without sheer guesswork.

When I read it like that it certainly will be hard to prove.

Presumably the height of the marks in the door from the baseball bat and the bullet holes could be an important bit of evidence? Ie indicate if he had the stumps on at the point he was trying to cave it in and/or shoot through it?

On a more general note, I'd be asking someone why they'd leave their balcony door open, if they were so nervous about the bathroom window not having bars on it.

Presumably the height of the marks in the door from the baseball bat and the bullet holes could be an important bit of evidence? Ie indicate if he had the stumps on at the point he was trying to cave it in and/or shoot through it?

On a more general note, I'd be asking someone why they'd leave their balcony door open, if they were so nervous about the bathroom window not having bars on it.

Perhaps fell asleep, very tired, forgot to close them. Plausible.

Again, I still think he's guilty.

Most do. Sadly thinking it is probably not enough.....

Maroon Sailor

The defence can split holes in just about anything that is thrown at them.

From the first day that Roux felly was asking the witness if it was possible what she heard was the sound of a cricket bat thumping against a door rather than shots being fired from a gun !

Isaac Clarke

Barry Roux is just hell bent on making things as complicated as possible.

Even the Judge must be getting confused

Classic Chewbacca defence move.

Regarding Barry Roux, those impressed by his court room antics should read this.

State v pistorius. The art of the advocate.

Indeed. Main evidence so far aside from suggestions OP is often angry and has been careless or reckless with guns is that neighbours heard a female screaming before the shots were fired and so suggesting OP knew he was shooting at. All the questions about Police / forensic incompetence are pretty small stuff compared to that. Also think Roux comes across as desperate as well as bullying and snide which is him just doing his job.

Still anything can happen.

Maroon Sailor

Trial adjourned until Monday 24th March.

Expecting Mr Pistorious to give his account of that fateful night next week.

Prosecution saying Reeva was standing and had her arms up in a defensive posture when she was shot......doesn't sound much like she was having a quiet pish now eh?

Did Oscar try to break the door down with the cricket bat FIRST then give up and start shooting?

Prosecution saying Reeva was standing and had her arms up in a defensive posture when she was shot......doesn't sound much like she was having a quiet pish now eh?

Did Oscar try to break the door down with the cricket bat FIRST then give up and start shooting?

He shot first in panic.

Went to get his stumps.

Noticed Reeva wasn't in bed.

Tried to force entry with bat.

That's his story anyway.

Maroon Sailor

He was in a rage after having a domestic

She locks herself in the toilet until he calms down

Pleads with her to come out - she doesn't - he gets more and more riled

He then tries to force the door open by smashing it in with the cricket bat

Can't do it - loses it completely now and tries blowing the door off with his gun

He was in a rage after having a domestic

She locks herself in the toilet until he calms down

Pleads with her to come out - she doesn't - he gets more and more riled

He then tries to force the door open by smashing it in with the cricket bat

Can't do it - loses it completely now and tries blowing the door off with his gun

Fits the evidence more than his gobshite story does

Guest C00l K1d

Will he go to jail under SA law whether it's deemed he done it on purpose or not?

Or will he get off with it if he's found not guilty of the current charge?

Just heard a wee snippet from trial before it adjourned and they were reading out WhatsApp messages between OP and Reeva. Anyone else hear it?

Horrible stuff. He sounds like an irrational, jealous, controlling and aggressive arsehole. Quite damning stuff. She sounds quite afraid of him but tries hard to please. Uncomfortable.

Have to wonder how Roux will choose to try and address that, assuming he does address it at all of course.

Guilt written all over this. Is it enough for murder verdict. My money is on prosecution being clever and could catch him out if he gives evidence. Evidence of screaming before / after first shots seems pretty damning. But clever defence still to come.

This is the message I was on about earlier if anyone's interested. It made me feel sad. :oldsad:

Bjgp5rACYAAtDoB.jpg

He sounds like an absolute utter ***** of a man.

A controlling, aggressive, manipulative scumbag.

Poor Reeva. :(

willie wallace

As i remember it in South Africa you cannot use your gun unless you are sure your life is in immediate danger.Obviously this is a huge decision to make and even if it was an intruder in the toilet you cannot just shoot them through a closed door.Of course unless you are in such a position it is impossible to to say what you may have done.I don't understand how he thought he could get away with it.

He sounds like an absolute utter ***** of a man.

A controlling, aggressive, manipulative scumbag.

Poor Reeva. :(

Just heard them mention that he didn't even reply to it. She had to send him another message the next day saying "good morning?" That made me even more sad.

I don't know if he's a murderer but he definitely is a cretinous arsehole.