27 Years Ago Today Hearts 1 Celtic 0 Scottish Cup

Hearts Heritage

Always remember watching the highlights of this game on sportscene.

"Deflection off the wall AND IT'S THERE"

Archie MacPherson

Toxteth O'Grady

Denied an obvious handball by the SFA and the referee even thought about tackling JC at 5:29

I skived into that game over from the school playground.

i wish jj was my dad

Maybe it was youthful naivety but I never had any fears about putting them away at Tynecastle.

Interestingly, I recall Gerry McNee on the news the night before saying he expected Hearts to win because Sandy Clark had the beating of Celtic's back four.

My first game. :)

Thanks to my auld man who got the tickets from someone who knew Wallace and for wangling our way in a few hours early, so I could see an empty Tynecastle.

I always maintained that the free kick was a scorcher into the top corner(I was 7yrs old at the time and the view wasn't the best) until the great man mentioned the deflection during one of his amazing Q & A sessions on here.

Those threads are must reads imo.

I have a recollection of Robbo saying that when he was with the Scotland squad it was talked about that Bonner always came off his line too early at free kicks and this was why he went for the shot rather than a cross. Did Scotland play Ireland just before this match?

Ricardo Quaresma

Was there not another 1-0 win over them at home (League cup?) a couple of years before?

Wed night game?

b

b

b

b

Couldnt have been mascot that day mate as i was.

apologies, I do know he was mascot against them I think maybe in '88. Need to ask the auld man.

My late brother was mascot that day (if I remember rightly) came on the pitch with his maroon stookie.

Couldnt have been mascot that day mate as i was.

My brother was mascot in '88 against them. We won 1 - 0 and JC scored for the famous.

Was there not another 1-0 win over them at home (League cup?) a couple of years before?

Wed night game?

b

b

b

b

I remember they beat us on penalties in the League Cup in the late 80s at Tynie, but I don't remember beating them.

Ricardo Quaresma

I remember they beat us on penalties in the League Cup in the late 80s at Tynie, but I don't remember beating them.

Had a look at LH; it must be the game on the OP; was there; Mo Johnston their big threat & Mcgee their supersub; nothing from those two :)

Nelly Terraces

Magic game that. Place went ape when that goal went in. Scenes of utter bedlam at the old Tynie, unbeatable. Feel sorry for those too young to've witnessed them.

Archived