The poker thread...

The Merse

Well, the working hours thread ended up in a bit of a poker debate so thought I'd start a fresh thread for talking about it instead of sidetracking the other one.

In answer to Clum, there was no way you were getting away from the 3 J's. You were always going to be ahead when the chips went in so you didn't do the wrong thing. Raise more pre-flop perhaps, I either raise massive or limp with them depending on my chip situation, as you can catch people out if you limp.

Looking for a new online site to use, bored of Willhills & Mansion, anyone got any recommendations?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Merse

• Era Macaroons

• Bigsmak

• Statto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the voice from above
Well, the working hours thread ended up in a bit of a poker debate so thought I'd start a fresh thread for talking about it instead of sidetracking the other one.

In answer to Clum, there was no way you were getting away from the 3 J's. You were always going to be ahead when the chips went in so you didn't do the wrong thing. Raise more pre-flop perhaps, I either raise massive or limp with them depending on my chip situation, as you can catch people out if you limp.

Looking for a new online site to use, bored of Willhills & Mansion, anyone got any recommendations?

i work a basic 35 hours a week but with flexitime and the option of overtime on occasion...

Walter Payton

My bad :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about it, and given the action I got with everybody calling (obviously never saw their cards but there must have been some very fishy plays!) I think I'm happy with the 5x preflop raise- if an over card came on the flop I'd still have to be able to consider if they've paired it and be able to get away from it if I think I'm beaten, and raising more than 5x would definitely make getting away much harder.

After the flop the thing I'm thinking through now is Era Macaroons' suggestion of flat calling the post flop raise of 200. I can definitely see his point that if the diamond came I'd then be able to entertain the idea of getting away from the hand, but I'm thinking that because (even giving him an absolute monster preflop like Rockets or Cowboys), there's only one hand he could have had that would see me behind I definitely want him to commit more chips or price him out of the flush draw. Anybody else got opinions?

Walter Payton

Pokersites- tried most of them, but my favourite just now is Pokerstars. Obviously there's no dodginess about any sites (as long as there are no master accounts ;) ) but I was getting just far too many sick bad beats on Full Tilt, or the river seemed to always bring the card you didn't want to see! Used to use Ladbrokes (can't remember why I stopped) and PartyPoker.

Pokerstars seems to be pretty good for the qualifiers they run, and the slower blinds structures (if you've got a bit more time!) allow something close to deep stack play (they start at 10,20 level).

My bad :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about it, and given the action I got with everybody calling (obviously never saw their cards but there must have been some very fishy plays!) I think I'm happy with the 5x preflop raise- if an over card came on the flop I'd still have to be able to consider if they've paired it and be able to get away from it if I think I'm beaten, and raising more than 5x would definitely make getting away much harder.

After the flop the thing I'm thinking through now is Era Macaroons' suggestion of flat calling the post flop raise of 200. I can definitely see his point that if the diamond came I'd then be able to entertain the idea of getting away from the hand, but I'm thinking that because (even giving him an absolute monster preflop like Rockets or Cowboys), there's only one hand he could have had that would see me behind I definitely want him to commit more chips or price him out of the flush draw. Anybody else got opinions?

Well, calling the bet if you believed he was on a flush draw and seeing if it hit then chucking it away then was obviously an option. Depends how well you know the player. The fact it was so early in the tournament might have made me go for this option instead of risking everything on the first hand.

You didn't do much/anything wrong.

He was willing to stick all his chips in on a draw (albeit a very big draw) and hit, you can't do much about it.

Era Macaroons

ha...figured a poker thread would appear...youve got a tell;)

poker stars has huge fields....but game play is slow ....americans seem to play at a differant pace!

i use will hill and p stars

Ive been told Mansion has a weak field...did you find this?

easy pickings?

I started off well on it, scooped up big time but success has been limited since. I only ever seem to play on that now when Hills ****es me off so I tend to play on Mansion when I'm on tilt.

:D

Ive been told Mansion has a weak field...did you find this?

easy pickings?

my accounts been blocked. they want a copy of front/back of my debit card, plus a copy of a bank statement and a copy of my driving license. And they want all this sent to a general email address...

does anyone have info re legal requirements for providing this info...I have about ?50 in the account.

So in the meantime I have been using poker stars, seems ok so far

my accounts been blocked. they want a copy of front/back of my debit card, plus a copy of a bank statement and a copy of my driving license. And they want all this sent to a general email address...

does anyone have info re legal requirements for providing this info...I have about ?50 in the account.

I'm sitting with money in Mansion as well and have been unable to withdraw. Their requests are ridiculous.

Really, really irritating.

Era Macaroons
I started off well on it, scooped up big time but success has been limited since. I only ever seem to play on that now when Hills ****es me off so I tend to play on Mansion when I'm on tilt.

I should probably join then if everyones guff or on tilt!

Im sure all sites give u a winning start when u join, to hook you in.

:hobofish:

Era Macaroons

I had to do this with Paradise Poker also....chalked up approx $500 pretty quick after joining to find my account was suspended with no way of withdrawing money

had to send passport etc which was a farce.....took ages...and was far from smooth.did so (twice)...then withdrew and stopped using them.

I'm sitting with money in Mansion as well and have been unable to withdraw. Their requests are ridiculous.

Really, really irritating.

Think I have ?50 and my dad ?100 in the account and they blocked both accounts at the same time. They say they want the info I stated for security reasons. But surely me sending this info to a general email puts me more at risk of fraud?

if/when I get my money back I will be closing the account and using another site.

Whats the worst beat anyones taken then?

I've had a few but this is probably the one that annoyed me the most.

Had pocket 7's two hands in a row, in the Big blind and Small blind. It was getting to the stage where blinds were getting tough to cope with...

Called the raise from the big blind and the flop came with 3 overs so had to let it go.

Gets raised into me again and reluctantly called out of the small blind. Flop comes down A87, with 2 hearts on board. I checked it and the raiser went all-in. Instant call from me.

He turns over J8, with only one heart in his hand. Turn came a heart and so did the river.

That was pretty gutting!

Walter Payton
Whats the worst beat anyones taken then?

I've had a few but this is probably the one that annoyed me the most.

Had pocket 7's two hands in a row, in the Big blind and Small blind. It was getting to the stage where blinds were getting tough to cope with...

Called the raise from the big blind and the flop came with 3 overs so had to let it go.

Gets raised into me again and reluctantly called out of the small blind. Flop comes down A87, with 2 hearts on board. I checked it and the raiser went all-in. Instant call from me.

He turns over J8, with only one heart in his hand. Turn came a heart and so did the river.

That was pretty gutting!

5 handed in a Sit and Go that started 10 handed and I'm on the button, everybody's got roughly the same amount of chips (about 10 big blinds). Under the gun has limped, cut off folds and I look down and see Anna Kournikova staring up at me- raise 3 times big blind and UTG calls. Flop is A,9, 4 rainbow. UTG min bets, so I push all in. He instacalls and I think I'm going to be looking at something like middle set, but instead he turns over K,2 and says something like "I though I could bluff you off it". Doesn't need to, the turn and river show two little ducks and I've been blown away by a set of 2s...

Think that's marginally worse than the time when myself and another guy were all in by the turn, me with Aces full of Queens and him with Kings full of Aces. River comes a King...

Just yesterday I had AA raised 5 x BB, 1 caller,

The flop is - A 2 Rag - I check.. He bets, I smooth call.

Rag on turn, I check... he big bets .. I smooth call...

River is another 2... I bet.. He's all in... I call... AAA Vs 2222 Sucks.

cried a bit :confused:

Mare.

Sounds a bit like when my mate Chris lost about $1500 on a hand when he flopped Aces full and the other guy flopped quad 5's!

AA v 55

Flop

A55

Sick!!!

Saw a belting hand last night on Channel 4, Partypoker Premier League.

Phil Helmuth took a sickener

He raised with A5, and got called by pocket 9's by Andy Black.

Flop came A55. Both check and the turn comes a 9, nay joy Phil!

When you heading back to the Circus Smak?

Prob 2 weeks i think... Arms healing up nicely now... Still a bit to go. Moving house this week and its been mental!

Prob 2 weeks i think... Arms healing up nicely now... Still a bit to go. Moving house this week and its been mental!

Good stuff.

I'm finished uni as of a week on Fri so I'll prob end up living there.

Still buzzin about my win on Sunday!

Era Macaroons
Saw a belting hand last night on Channel 4, Partypoker Premier League.

Phil Helmuth took a sickener

He raised with A5, and got called by pocket 9's by Andy Black.

Flop came A55. Both check and the turn comes a 9, nay joy Phil!

lol...i saw this too.....he was so gutted...i love it when he gets knocked out and greets

Era Macaroons

OUCH

Walter Payton

Don't know if I'd have called 5xBB with Ducks but I guess the times you make your set on the flop (as long as you're not up against bigger sets) make it worth it. After last night...

I HATE NEWBIES OR OTHER PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!

I guess both hands people could say it was my own fault for being overly aggressive, but from experience you can't just hang about waiting for hands to come to you. I thought I was playing reasonably well and had a good read on everybody at the table (particularly the players who I knew could play) and successfully called bluffs or got away from hands when people had Anna Kournikova and hit. Two hands though were my downfall, second one costing me my tournament...

1st hand- I've got 7,9 hearts in the BB (blinds are 25,50) and there's one limper (button) as well as the small blind calling before it gets round to me- I check. Flop comes 3d,9d,Jd. With 3 diamonds already on the flop I didn't want to be in a pot that cost me too much so I checked. Button raises 100, small blind folds and I flat call. Turn comes 8 clubs, I check, button raises 200 and I flat call. River comes 2d, and the button (who isn't clever enough to deliberately feign frustration) lets out an audible sigh. I bet 500 (thinking he's got to have me on a good flush at this point) and he calls- shows pair of fives with the 5d and takes the pot with the flush. Any ideas on how other people might have played this hand? I realise that the cost of bluffing is that sometimes people will call it, but I can't understand how he could put me on anything other than a better flush than the 5. That one I was prepared to believe he just had a phenomenal read, but the 2nd hand really had me spitting chips- literally!

Blinds are 100, 200 and other than one guy who has picked up a few big hands and got about 4,500 chips, we've all got between 2000 and 2500 (eight handed). I'm on the BB again (having not played very many hands) and the action gets round to me with only one player having folded his hand (the chip leader) and everybody else limping in, so there's already 1200 in the pot. Up until this point, nobody's displayed any tendencies for slow-playing big pocket pairs or Aces with big kickers so with K,J I'm thinking that if I make the squeeze play and push I'm likely to only be facing a coin flip if somebody decides to gamble and call with a middle pair. I push, raising the pot 2025 more and as expected the action folds round to the same guy who had the 5 diamonds earlier and was on the button again. When he thinks about it for a while then calls (leaving him with only 200 chips) I'm beginning to think whether squeezing was worth it, but he turns over 3,5 hearts! Obviously the flop comes 3,5,10 and the other streets come blank sending me on my way home...

I guess using the squeeze play is always going to be a risky move (hopefully a calculated risk) but it seemed if there was ever a time that was ripe to use it, it was then! I was one muppet away from 1200 free chips without showing my cards, but I guess that's poker (even if it is screwed up donkeyfied perverted poker!)

Don't know if I'd have called 5xBB with Ducks but I guess the times you make your set on the flop (as long as you're not up against bigger sets) make it worth it. After last night...

I guess both hands people could say it was my own fault for being overly aggressive, but from experience you can't just hang about waiting for hands to come to you. I thought I was playing reasonably well and had a good read on everybody at the table (particularly the players who I knew could play) and successfully called bluffs or got away from hands when people had Anna Kournikova and hit. Two hands though were my downfall, second one costing me my tournament...

1st hand- I've got 7,9 hearts in the BB (blinds are 25,50) and there's one limper (button) as well as the small blind calling before it gets round to me- I check. Flop comes 3d,9d,Jd. With 3 diamonds already on the flop I didn't want to be in a pot that cost me too much so I checked. Button raises 100, small blind folds and I flat call. Turn comes 8 clubs, I check, button raises 200 and I flat call. River comes 2d, and the button (who isn't clever enough to deliberately feign frustration) lets out an audible sigh. I bet 500 (thinking he's got to have me on a good flush at this point) and he calls- shows pair of fives with the 5d and takes the pot with the flush. Any ideas on how other people might have played this hand? I realise that the cost of bluffing is that sometimes people will call it, but I can't understand how he could put me on anything other than a better flush than the 5. That one I was prepared to believe he just had a phenomenal read, but the 2nd hand really had me spitting chips- literally!

Blinds are 100, 200 and other than one guy who has picked up a few big hands and got about 4,500 chips, we've all got between 2000 and 2500 (eight handed). I'm on the BB again (having not played very many hands) and the action gets round to me with only one player having folded his hand (the chip leader) and everybody else limping in, so there's already 1200 in the pot. Up until this point, nobody's displayed any tendencies for slow-playing big pocket pairs or Aces with big kickers so with K,J I'm thinking that if I make the squeeze play and push I'm likely to only be facing a coin flip if somebody decides to gamble and call with a middle pair. I push, raising the pot 2025 more and as expected the action folds round to the same guy who had the 5 diamonds earlier and was on the button again. When he thinks about it for a while then calls (leaving him with only 200 chips) I'm beginning to think whether squeezing was worth it, but he turns over 3,5 hearts! Obviously the flop comes 3,5,10 and the other streets come blank sending me on my way home...

I guess using the squeeze play is always going to be a risky move (hopefully a calculated risk) but it seemed if there was ever a time that was ripe to use it, it was then! I was one muppet away from 1200 free chips without showing my cards, but I guess that's poker (even if it is screwed up donkeyfied perverted poker!)

I'd have instantly packed the 97 to any bet mate. I ain't playing my mid pair with 3 of the same suit on the flop if i haven't got one. Trying to dodge cards is unenjoyable!

You were unlucky with the KJ, was a decent time moved and a worthwhile pot to win, shame some donk called you with that but when you know they are capable of the donk call it sometimes isn't worth the risk.

I got bumped stinking online last night.

Had pocket K's, someone raised to $1.75, I made it a $5 and some donk called me with T6, wasn't even the original raised, he packed!

Flop comes down 578, I bet $15, he calls. Turns a J, I put him all in for $20 and he calls and the river comes down a 4. Fishing bar steward.

Then later on was on the fishiest table I've ever played. Was up about 20 quid then got stung a belter. Had KJ of hearts in the big blind. 2 hearts on flop, 3rd heart comes out on turn and this guy who had been pushing all in for 40 quid into 2 pound pots did the same again...I had to call with the second nuts...didn't I? Well he had A6 of hearts and wiped me out.

:mad:

In Absentia

What I would say is dont try and bluff a newbie who doesnt know what they are doing or a player you dont know much about yet. Play solid hands against them and they will lose there chips more often then not.

Its actually a good thing that bluffs are shown sometimes. They arnt always going to work. They should be treated as negative equity, if you show a bluff it means the next time you have a solid hand you will be able to collect more winnings for it since your opponents what be able tell if your bluffing or not. If you only show solid hands then your not going to get that call.

Walter Payton

Know what you mean about the 9,7 (and 95% of the time I'd instantly pack it) but I had so many tells that this guy wasn't happy with his hand I thought there was a very strong chance of taking the pot off him! At the end of the day the read was right, but I didn't realise he was enough of a donk to still call 500 while he wasn't happy with his hand at all.

Again you're completely right about taking the risk against donks isn't worth it sometimes no matter what the EV is- but I've never played with anybody that could summon up a thought process that could justify calling with 3,5- though it looks like you found another with the guys that flat calls a reraise with 10,6!

Walter Payton
What I would say is dont try and bluff a newbie who doesnt know what they are doing or a player you dont know much about yet. Play solid hands against them and they will lose there chips more often then not.

Its actually a good thing that bluffs are shown sometimes. They arnt always going to work. They should be treated as negative equity, if you show a bluff it means the next time you have a solid hand you will be able to collect more winnings for it since your opponents what be able tell if your bluffing or not. If you only show solid hands then your not going to get that call.

Alright Adam? I can't remember how you went out last night, was it the same guy who took your chips? I know you weren't around to see the 3,5 hand.

In Absentia

I was short stacked, raised utg with AQ suited and was more or less commited to the pot. Had 2 callers including said donk on the big blind. Flop came 2,2,5 he bet 500 into the pot of around 900ish. I pushed all in for another 600ish as since he called my raise there was little chance he hit the flop. Other caller folded and the guy called with 5,7 offsuit and his pair held up. I was playing like a donkey myself anywhy so wasnt bothered.

At least you lastest longer than last week lol.

Sexton Hardcastle

IS the JKB poker down? ive never played on JKB but am up for joining. easy money i feel

Walter Payton
IS the JKB poker down? ive never played on JKB but am up for joining. easy money i feel

Yep, easy money- apart from the fact its all play chips! We should get a regular JKB sit and go happening again somewhere like Pokerstars again, play for real money.

Walter Payton
I was short stacked, raised utg with AQ suited and was more or less commited to the pot. Had 2 callers including said donk on the big blind. Flop came 2,2,5 he bet 500 into the pot of around 900ish. I pushed all in for another 600ish as since he called my raise there was little chance he hit the flop. Other caller folded and the guy called with 5,7 offsuit and his pair held up. I was playing like a donkey myself anywhy so wasnt bothered.

At least you lastest longer than last week lol.

yeah, now I remember- And the amount you raised preflop he had no right to still be in it when the flop came! Guess he must have realised the 5 was his lucky card last night...

Sexton Hardcastle

Fair enough if its just for fun, is it back up and running? when i clicked on the tab it says offline or summin ?

I am actually on the worst luck run ever.

Was playing a $20 10 man Sit and Go there. Down to 5 of us and I have KQ of clubs in the BB. Guy raises to 400 and I had 150 in so I called.

Flop comes down 25T - all clubs!

I check, he puts me all in. I call, he has pocket 7's.

Turn comes a 7 and then river a T for a full house, actually ridiculous.

Walter Payton
I am actually on the worst luck run ever.

Was playing a $20 10 man Sit and Go there. Down to 5 of us and I have KQ of clubs in the BB. Guy raises to 400 and I had 150 in so I called.

Flop comes down 25T - all clubs!

I check, he puts me all in. I call, he has pocket 7's.

Turn comes a 7 and then river a T for a full house, actually ridiculous.

Not quite as bad a beat (we should just call this the badbeats thread and get it over with) but I was playing one of the Pokerstars 180 player tournaments last night and we were down to the last 5, all playing pretty aggressively. One guy had about 90000 chips, 2 of us were around 60000 and 2 players had around 18000 chips, with blinds 2000.4000 and 100 ante.

I'm on the button and had 8,9 clubs and raised it to 5000- big blind calls. Flop comes 10d,Jc,Qc and the button raises 30000 (he's the chip leader). Because I've already hit my straight and think such a big raise puts him on a good hand but not the nuts, I push all in and he instacalls, showing Q, K (both red) meaning he's got the 4 Aces as reasonable outs (or so you'd think).

Turn and River come Q,K to give him the full house and I exit in 5th...

Rick Grimes

a guy at my work organised a poker night at the casino at fountainbridge a few weeks ago. went very well, tho were low numbers there. apparently you can rent the place out for free midweek nights for tourneys. any interest in a JKB tournament?

Walter Payton
a guy at my work organised a poker night at the casino at fountainbridge a few weeks ago. went very well, tho were low numbers there. apparently you can rent the place out for free midweek nights for tourneys. any interest in a JKB tournament?

IMO there definitely would be, especially if was well organised and all prizes were handled by the casino. The last JKB tournament attracted a lot of interest, but people were burnt by the shambolic organisation and the fact it took months of effort to finally get hold of the prizes.

Era Macaroons
Not quite as bad a beat (we should just call this the badbeats thread and get it over with) but I was playing one of the Pokerstars 180 player tournaments last night and we were down to the last 5, all playing pretty aggressively. One guy had about 90000 chips, 2 of us were around 60000 and 2 players had around 18000 chips, with blinds 2000.4000 and 100 ante.

I'm on the button and had 8,9 clubs and raised it to 5000- big blind calls. Flop comes 10d,Jc,Qc and the button raises 30000 (he's the chip leader). Because I've already hit my straight and think such a big raise puts him on a good hand but not the nuts, I push all in and he instacalls, showing Q, K (both red) meaning he's got the 4 Aces as reasonable outs (or so you'd think).

Turn and River come Q,K to give him the full house and I exit in 5th...

bit of a sickener , especially at that stage in the tourney

Era Macaroons

id be interested in this as well

In Absentia

sounds good.

Walter Payton
sounds good.

I think Gary would play if it was a Hearts fans game- don't think he posts on here though.

Rick Grimes

the casino collect the initial entry fee, plus they also handle the rebuys & add-ons. as there were low numbers they also laid on the dealers, tho i believe if there's large numbers its self-dealt games.

i'll have a word for more details with the guy at my work & if it looks relatively painless i'll organise a JKB tourney.

add your interest to the new thread i'm gonna set up so i can gauge numbers.

lol.. At the casino on Sat night 2 people left in the first hand of the ?30 freezout. 2 good players as well.

Four players see the flop, there was some raising preflop as the hands were,

JJ, AA, 78(suited) and J3 suited (Diamonds) I think. (you know where this is going.)

Flop comes 4 5 6, 2 diamonds on board. The 78 acts first - small raise, the JJ reraises and the AA Calls, the J3 suited (with 4 to the flush calls) and then the 78, pushes all in. First hand of the tournament. The JJ instacalls and the AA thinks about it and FOLDS.. Well played.. She lost 1000 of her 5000 starting but well read and didn't want to leave in the first hand! ... Then of course.. Maggie with her J3 calls.... Sure enough a Diamond comes out and its all mental!

Was funny

Walter Payton
lol.. At the casino on Sat night 2 people left in the first hand of the ?30 freezout. 2 good players as well.

JJ, AA, 78(suited) and J3 suited (Diamonds) I think. (you know where this is going.)

Flop comes 4 5 6, 2 diamonds on board. The 78 acts first - small raise, the JJ reraises and the AA Calls, the J3 suited (with 4 to the flush calls) and then the 78, pushes all in. First hand of the tournament. The JJ instacalls and the AA thinks about it and FOLDS.. Well played.. She lost 1000 of her 5000 starting but well read and didn't want to leave in the first hand! ... Then of course.. Maggie with her J3 calls.... Sure enough a Diamond comes out and its all mental!

Was funny

Was that Maggie that only has 3 fingers on her left hand?

Was funny

Were you there on Sat?

Were you there on Sat?

No Monday I went, First time playing for 6 weeks. I left before the break having not won a single pot. I tried bluffing,. playing with top pair, playing with second pair and once with a straight (to be flushed on the river) ..... Wasn't my night... Hopefully, next time will be!

Maroon Mayhem

I stopped playing in Edinburgh apart from the festivals, everyone in the Maybury started to play friendly with each other. The Casino is now regarded as the best game but with games starting at 9 and finishing at 5am, there's very little appeal!

Aspers in Newcastle have a f/o that starts at 4pm, really good game and a great casino, has an electronically dealt cash game.

No Monday I went, First time playing for 6 weeks. I left before the break having not won a single pot. I tried bluffing,. playing with top pair, playing with second pair and once with a straight (to be flushed on the river) ..... Wasn't my night... Hopefully, next time will be!

Cool, when you next back?

I finished uni forever today, tempted to go to the *****y rebuy tonight for somethign to do.

Lol.

Cool, when you next back?

I finished uni forever today, tempted to go to the *****y rebuy tonight for somethign to do.

Lol.

Tempting... But i just get upset at the ?5 bingo..

Also - I got my Virgin Media package installed today with 20mbps broadband and Cable TV. Might just check that out.