True detective

Muppetboy

That's a pity as. Some great characters and great performances. Ian McShane's being the obvious stand-out.

I wonder why they dropped it. It can't have been ratings surely? I thought it was excellent.

No-one watched it.

Same with the Wire.

The Wire only really got popular on a world wide scale after it had finished. Apparently DVD sales have been massive.

You should check out Carnivale too.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peebo

• Muppetboy

• Ribble

• Say What Again

Say What Again

Cheers, I will do.

Can't believe nobody watched Deadwood. The sole reason I watched it myself was I looking for reviews of Hell on Wheels to see if it was worth watching on Netflix. Virtually every review I read mentioned Deadwood as the pinnacle of a TV Western series.

I loved it - though I wish I'd known it didn't come to a natural conclusion after 3 seasons. :(

No-one watched it.

Same with the Wire.

The Wire only really got popular on a world wide scale after it had finished. Apparently DVD sales have been massive.

Same with Six Feet Under, Queer as Folk, Oz, Californication, Dead Like Me, Hung and Eastbound and Down.

All great HBO or Showtime shows, but none got great ratings.

Tony Soprano

Just finished the last episode of true detective last night (superb btw). Watching a few just now, waiting for the 6th season of sons of anarchy to come out on dvd, completely caught up with the walking dead and recently started watching 'American Horror Story' not seen many people talking about this show but i think its great! After that i think ill try to start watching boardwalk empire (yes, i have a lot of free time)

Victor Mancini

just finished watching epsiode 8, whilst the performances of McConaughey and Harrelson were fantastic, i thought the story seemed to jump a little and the ending seemed a little rushed, could have been easily another 2 episodes with out it being overly milked,

also for any fans of Lilly Simmons(Beth) she plays a similar role in Banshee, i wonder if she's done any shows where she doesnt get her tits out-not that im complaining :pinilla:

Edited by Ruud Gullit

alwaysthereinspirit

Was having supper with my wife while watching the last True Detective. Had to turn it off till I was done eating.

"Do you want to make flowers with me"

"You haven't made flowers with me for about three weeks"

Had us both gagging.

• 1 month later...

Just watched the last two episodes - great acting from McConaughey and Harrelson - not sure what to make of the ending yet -will take a few days to unpick it all I think.

• 1 month later...
Chad Sexington

Finaly got round to watching this show.

Absolutely magnificent stuff. The performances by the two leads were just out of this world.

• 3 months later...

I was utterly underwhelmed when I heard that yesterday.

Exactly the same,I think they must be going for a different style this time round as those two just are not in the same class.Seems like it will be the more traditional buddy routine.

I'll go against the grain slightly on the new cast and am quite positive. If you had told me mcconaughy and harrilson were going to give stand out performances in a tv show with true detective plot I would have said your mental.

I was wrong, given the right vehicle it brought best out in them.

I'm hopeful we will see the same with Farrell and Vaughan. I do think Vaughan is decent straight actor.

The storyline and premise are different. So I'm optimistic for the show on basis the writing is there.

Yup, I agree.

I'll go against the grain slightly on the new cast and am quite positive. If you had told me mcconaughy and harrilson were going to give stand out performances in a tv show with true detective plot I would have said your mental.

I was wrong, given the right vehicle it brought best out in them.

I'm hopeful we will see the same with Farrell and Vaughan. I do think Vaughan is decent straight actor.

The storyline and premise are different. So I'm optimistic for the show on basis the writing is there.

Yup, I agree.

Don't agree with that, McConaughey's rise had already started with some very impressive films, and Harrelson for me has always been a very good actor.

Saying that, I don't Farrell and Vaughan are that bad as actors, but between them they haven't half churned out a lot of rubbish.

Don't agree with that, McConaughey's rise had already started with some very impressive films, and Harrelson for me has always been a very good actor.

Saying that, I don't Farrell and Vaughan are that bad as actors, but between them they haven't half churned out a lot of rubbish.

Fair dues. McConaughey and Harrelson have also both been in lots of utterly shite films, though.

Particularly McConaughey :laugh:

As he said on Jon Stewart - 'I took them to pay the bills, now I can pick and choose what I want to do'. He's always been a great actor, he's just been in heehaw. Same for Woody.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dusk_Till_Dawn

Mcconachy was brilliant in the Dallas buyers club.

Loved the first season of True Detective but didn't think the finish was quite as compelling as it should have been.

• 3 years later...
William H. Bonney
10 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Interesting.

Never watched Season 2. Was it really as bad as people said?

It was pretty shit. Except for this fantastic scene. 

5 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Interesting.

Never watched Season 2. Was it really as bad as people said?

Pretty much, to the extent that a lot of people are surprised that the show has survived season 2 and 3 is being made although by all reports season 3 will return to the 'look and feel' of the first season.

I really thought the first series was brilliant, as has been said, the last episode was a bit of a disappointment. Series 2 I thought was disappointing from the start, I am too surprised it's getting a third outing, looking forward to it mind. 

rudi must stay
8 hours ago, AWM said:

That guy is a terrific actor. Dorff is not bad either, suprised they have the man from Moonlight given that his career on the big screen is on the up

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

Started off well, but i'm getting really bored now, Its so slow

Yeah, seems to have been written as opening episode, then final 2 episodes and then they have made the bit in the middle fit a certain number of pre-defined episodes rather than have it flow naturally