Edinburgh slang words

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Not sure if they are Edinburgh specific but I was thinking about words I heard all the time as a kid and wondered if they still exist today

Shotty - Look Out

As in - Shotty here comes the Polis

Stoory - Run fast

Barry - brilliant

When I was younger people would say someone "had a family" basically meaning the had a tantrum or were raging. Who thinks this stuff up?

Everyone uses "shan", would actually quite like to know where it came from.

Definitely an Edinburgh word...

When I was a lad we used to "dreep" doon off a high wall or fence (hang over the edge and then let go and jump the rest of the way down).

When I was younger people would say someone "had a family" basically meaning the had a tantrum or were raging. Who thinks this stuff up?

From Tazio in another thread

Shan comes from sharn which is the borders traveller word for manure.

One which always makes me laugh is people talking about buying their butcher's meat. What other kind is there? You don't talk about baker's bread.

As I said previously too I used the word shan at primary school in Cumbria so fits with being a borders word likesay.

Language fascinates me. As quoted above a lot of the words we use here are travellers words. Which helps explain why we use a lot of the same words as Geordies.

I have to admit I love the Edinburgh accent. Spent most of my adult life getting the pish ripped out of me for having such a strong Edinburgh accent and using these words on a regular basis but I bloody love it.

Maroon Sailor

Never heard of stoory.

Used to hear it in conjunction with shotty here comes the Polis if you were up to mischief and they where heading your way - then it was a case of stoory !

The term barley when requesting a time out in a game. Barleys up, two thumbs raised.

I taught that to my kids, who were born in Canada. They, in turn, taught it to their pals. Before long, it was a well-used expression among the children on our street in Toronto.

As well as the previously mentioned 'black man' from the ice cream van, is there something else called a 'basher'? I'm sure I've heard someone mention it.

The Real Maroonblood

As well as the previously mentioned 'black man' from the ice cream van, is there something else called a 'basher'? I'm sure I've heard someone mention it.

Yes, It was a snowball with ice cream between to wafers.

gingerjambo190512

What about helfy as in it was a helfy good night oot,

Im pretty sure bunker is an edinburgh word as well ken

Maroon Sailor

we used to call a leather football a philly :wtf:

It was more of a suede football wasn't it ?

Maroon Sailor

Blackman = Nougat Wafer.

My cousin was staying with us for a few days and we got her to ask for a blackman. She thought we were pulling her leg but convinced her the ice-cream man would know what she meant. Anyway time it came for her to get served she asked for a bogeyman ! Everybody just fell about laughing.

The Real Maroonblood

My cousin was staying with us for a few days and we got her to ask for a blackman. She thought we were pulling her leg but convinced her the ice-cream man would know what she meant. Anyway time it came for her to get served she asked for a bogeyman ! Everybody just fell about laughing.

Brilliant.

Blackman = Nougat Wafer.

You can ask for a blackman at the iceys in seaside towns on the west coast and they know what you mean. I always do it to annoy the wife.

Always loved the word shotty as in the OP after i did the poem fitba in the street at school.

shote! the poliiss

the gayfield poliss

they'l put us in the nick for playin

footbaw in the street

yin a them's a foty

like a mukle foazy toty

bi the others lang and skinny like

wi umbrelly feet

ach awaw says tammy curtis

fir thir baith owre blate to hurt iz

thir a glacit pair of teuchters

as hielant a piet

shote! thayr the thir comin

wi the hurdygurdy wummin

that coupit wi her puggy

playin footbaw in the street

Could only find half of it online, anyone know where i could get the rest. I had it by heart when i was 11, but it's slipped since.

The Real Maroonblood

You can ask for a blackman at the iceys in seaside towns on the west coast and they know what you mean. I always do it to annoy the wife.

Always loved the word shotty as in the OP after i did the poem fitba in the street at school.

shote! the poliiss

the gayfield poliss

they'l put us in the nick for playin

footbaw in the street

yin a them's a foty

like a mukle foazy toty

bi the others lang and skinny like

wi umbrelly feet

ach awaw says tammy curtis

fir thir baith owre blate to hurt iz

thir a glacit pair of teuchters

as hielant a piet

shote! thayr the thir comin

wi the hurdygurdy wummin

that coupit wi her puggy

playin footbaw in the street

Could only find half of it online, anyone know where i could get the rest. I had it by heart when i was 11, but it's slipped since.

I've never heard that one before.

won me a burns award. that and The Sair Finger.

'you've hurt yer finger? pair wee man!

yer pinkie? dearie me!

Noo just you haud it that way, an' I'll get ma specs an' see'

etc etc

Was a basher not a cone with a snowball on top ?. could be wrong. You also had the oyster, slider and blackman.

The Real Maroonblood

Was a basher not a cone with a snowball on top ?. could be wrong. You also had the oyster, slider and blackman.

No.

See post 21.

Is chum as in I'll chum you to the shops Edinburgh?

I think so. Moved to England and literally nobody has a clue what you're on about. Don't think it's said in the west, but am willing to be wrong.

I think so. Moved to England and literally nobody has a clue what you're on about. Don't think it's said in the west, but am willing to be wrong.

chum is a generic term for friend, so if its just used in Edinburgh it's just because it fell from use elsewhere.

just asked my wife who's from the west and she knows and uses it.

The term barley when requesting a time out in a game. Barleys up, two thumbs raised.

This must be derived from 'parley'?

Not a word, but, is it an Edinburgh thing to, when walking down the road with someone, make sure that nothing like poles, bollards etc come between you? If I 'inadvertently' happen to walk the other side of a pole they backtrack to go round the same side as me. I know three people from different parts of Edinburgh who do this and I've never heard of this elsewhere.

Same here, Thats the only sport I'm good at.

I don't know your wife but it's a good bet I'd annoy here too

"Doing the messages" - doing the shopping.

That was a question on The Chase last week

Archived