Ralph pronounced Raif

punkrockcroc

punkrockcroc

When did the name Ralph become Raif, who calls themselves Raif? Did Hearts have a Raif Callachan? do any kick backers know or are called Raif?

I think it's only pronounced that way if you're posh, ie Ralph Fiennes. It must sound too common for them if pronounced normally.

Fiennes can pretend his first name's pronounced whatever he wants, he's still just a famous Ralph alongside Callaghan, Milne, Lauren, Macchio and Malph.

Similarly, Rafe Spall's name isn't pronounced Ralph.

Fiennes can pretend his first name's pronounced whatever he wants, he's still just a famous Ralph alongside Callaghan, Milne, Lauren, Macchio and Malph.

Similarly, Rafe Spall's name isn't pronounced Ralph.

So is it the case that there is nobody with the name of Ralph who claims to be called Raif/Rafe/Raith?

What about when Americans pronounce Craig 'Creg'?

:seething:

That's my name and, sadly, the Canadians pronounce it that way too. I hate the pronunciation Creg, it's just completely wrong. Even some of my in-laws still pronounce it that way. Often, when I tell people my name, they either look at me blankly or think I've said Jake! Drives me daft.

A mere trifle compared to the upper class types called Featherstonehaugh.

Pronounced Fanshaw.

Or Cholmondley.

Pronounced Chumley.

So is it the case that there is nobody with the name of Ralph who claims to be called Raif/Rafe/Raith?

Well clearly Fiennes is one of them. His name's Ralph though.

He is - good actor though, when he's not mispronouncing his name.

AW FFS :facepalm:

I thought it was the geezer that climbed Everest. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Think I read somewhere they're related. Second cousins or sth.

. So did I....

:rofl: close, that's Ranulph Fiennes. Probably pronounced Roger.

i'm sure all the residents of Embra will be understanding of how a word's spelling and it's pronunciation can often differ.

Guy I know, surname Raphael, like the famous painter, which I think is fairly cool and classy.

He insists it's pronounced Raffle.

WTF.

McMahon is not McMan it is Mc Ma Hon, which if my very limited Irish is right means = Mc =Son off, Ma= My, Hon = Arse= son of my arse

It was Ralph Callaghan when he was at Hearts, a ban would be forthcoming if I said what I called him at H1b5

Private Hudson

It's been an ambition of mine for a number of years to meet Ralph Fiennes and repeatedly call him Ralph in conversation until he loses it. Simple pleasures...

I P Knightley

A mere trifle compared to the upper class types called Featherstonehaugh.

Pronounced Fanshaw.

Or Cholmondley.

Pronounced Chumley.

One of my son's schoolmates has the Featherstonehaugh surname.

Clearly not brought up on Wodehouse (there's another mispronounced name), he pronounces it with all 4 syllables.

Good lad.

McMahon is not McMan it is Mc Ma Hon, which if my very limited Irish is right means = Mc =Son off, Ma= My, Hon = Arse= son of my arse

It was Ralph Callaghan when he was at Hearts, a ban would be forthcoming if I said what I called him at H1b5

I once knew a lass surnamed "Mahoney" who insisted it was pronounced "Mahhney", rhyming with the way she said "sarnie".

Nice tits, though.

JamboInSouthsea

A mate of mine, RIP, was called Raif but spelled Ralph.

He was quite posh, bit of an eccentric but diamond bloke all the same :2thumbsup:

I once knew a lass surnamed "Mahoney" who insisted it was pronounced "Mahhney", rhyming with the way she said "sarnie".

Nice tits, though.

I've got a friend from Dublin with the same name, and it is Mahhney. If anyone pronounces it Ma-Hoany she gets seriously pissed off.

Shan tits and a face like a lesbian burns victim though.

It's not just posh folk who spell their names differently from how they pronounce them..

There's a football team called "Hibernian FC" but you pronounce it "lowlife, schemie, junkie scum".

Archived