Did yer Ma buy they trainers? If you grew up in the 70's/80's you'll know

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Gawd knows how you lot manage to remember any of this stuff ... My memories, well I remember circa '79 my mum buying some crap Asda trainers which were horrific. Finally by about '81 I had saved up and manged to get a pair of Kicks. I always had Puma football boots from aged 10 onwards (for rugby mind but I was a back so as close as you'd get to football anyway :ninja:) - fortunately my old boy was in charge of sports wear so he at least knew the score. :thumbsup:

In fact the only other 'trainers' I recall having were these but the all white logo version. c. mid eighties. They were naff.

2012-05-28_1034.png

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Say What Again

• Kenny ******* Powers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was Winfield "2 stripe" for me as a bairn, I'm sure my parents hated me :(

At high school it went up slightly to Gola as the school sold them to pupils cheap or Dunlop green flash. :facepalm:

First half decent pair I got were Adidas Beckenbauer.

Think I've had Sambas most of my adult life.

Not trainers but anyone remember these:

rockport-r-port-mweka-iv.jpg

Pestered my mum rotten in first year and she ended up buying me them. ?150 I'm sure :vrface:. Only see the jakiest of jakeys kicking about in them now.

Pestered my mum rotten in first year and she ended up buying me them. ?150 I'm sure :vrface:. Only see the jakiest of jakeys kicking about in them now.

That looks like an orthopedic shoe :)

Always decent footwear for us as kids. My mum had very little money so she would buy us Levi Jeans, Sambas Doc Martins because they lasted longer than the "other" brands and insisted it was false economy to buy them. Irish logic at its best.

We did walk about like nobodies bairn when she was saving up to buy us replacements though, but I'm a punk and I didn't care.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

There was a guy I went to School with who is still known as Harry Hi-tech.

We left school 14 years ago.

On a side note, Nike Air Pegasus were the must-have sneaker in Roslin back in '93.

Stuart McNeill

It seems most of us were unfortunate.

My mum and dad got me the cool looking Reebok classic, I ruined them as quick as possible.

To teach me a lesson, they got me fila, one day they lasted.

I was only lucky to get adidas if they were on sale.

Nowadays I'll only buy adidas or Nike.

I always wanted a pair of Puma Kings football boots and on my birthday I found a shoebox size parcel waiting for me, imagine my disappointment of finding a pair of Quaser Lineker Cups. Apparently my mum thought since Gary Lineker gave his name to them they must have been great!

:lol: good shout.

Unbelievably they were quite popular back in the day.

I had a pair of brown ones on at the '98 cup final.

Our finest ever hour and I had a pair of Rockports on. I hang my head in shame daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wanted a pair of Puma Kings football boots and on my birthday I found a shoebox size parcel waiting for me, imagine my disappointment of finding a pair of Quaser Lineker Cups. Apparently my mum thought since Gary Lineker gave his name to them they must have been great!

Jeez, I remember them!

That also made me remember that I had a pair of Arrow trainers when I was in primary 4. Anyone else remember them?

Edited by jambo1980

If you didn't have Nike or Adidas at my school your life wasn't worth living. You'd get away with Puma football boots but if you wore their trainers you'd get mauled.

Reebok pumps were the first thing from outside that were deemed ok. Nicks or Pan ams were a kicking. Or Dunlop Green Flash. Deservedly so.

Edited by Diego10

I had a pair of brown ones on at the '98 cup final.

Our finest ever hour and I had a pair of Rockports on. I hang my head in shame daily.

I hope you paired them up with some cream jeans.

Used to kick about primary school with a fetching pair of yellow puma king mouldys in the glorious 90's :lol:

Edited by rossthejambo

Pestered my mum roten in first year and she ended up buying me them. ?150 I'm sure :vrface:. Only see the jakiest of jakeys kicking about in them now.

I hated them. I worked in a shop on Princes Street that sold them - one of only two shops that did, if memory serves - and used to get jakeballs in all the time stealing the single shoes out on display.

Specs and Royal Specs were the outcasts at our school. Later, it was LA Gear, with three different colours of laces.

We ALL rocked these in the 70s!! dtng.jpg

They used to get called something that today would be politically incorrect !!!

If I could -and maybe someone could PM me how to - post a picture of the baseball boots that used to last one game of football if you were lucky that would be my recollection of 70's footwear

Creepy Lurker

Had a brown pair. :facepalm:

Samuel Camazzola

Aye had a lovely black pair with gold trim

I think they were the bad boys I had at primary school. Bought them from Fosters in Cameron Toll. I also had a pair of Pony from there which were the rage - likely due to the fold-over tongue. I think they were based on American football footwear.

Wore a pair of Cheetah football boots which turned into trainers when the moulded studs wore down.

I was dressed for first day in high school with hand me downs, unfortunately the clobber was my big sisters, fortunately 3 button beige high waiters ,purple penny collar blouses and black Barathea blazers were all the rage..character building right enough.

I think they were the bad boys I had at primary school. Bought them from Fosters in Cameron Toll. I also had a pair of Pony from there which were the rage - likely due to the fold-over tongue. I think they were based on American football footwear.

There was definitely an American Sportswear influence for a bit in the early to mid 90's as I recall. Remember having a pair of Black Nike Air Jordan's around this time and having an LA Raiders poster on my wall along with those varsity type pennants you would see on Happy Days/Wonder Years etc. There was even a Boston Celtics pennant which would just be unthinkable even a couple of years later. One of my mates at the time used to give me mix tapes of Ice T which I remember being impressed with due to the language. Guessing this was around 93/94 and I definitely remember things getting quite Americanised with films like Boyz in the Hood and Friday.

I would guess fashion maybe only went 'British' again when Britpop went mainstream.

If I could -and maybe someone could PM me how to - post a picture of the baseball boots that used to last one game of football if you were lucky that would be my recollection of 70's footwear

Are they the baseball boots that had a milk top on the inside that covered where your ankle would be?,Bay City Rollers fans rocked them....lol

I hope you paired them up with some cream jeans.

And a yellow / pink wooly jumper that were tucked into the Zeus / pepe jeans.

I remember I paid ?120 for a pair of reebok pump boots when I was 18. wtf was i thinking!?

Then they replaced them with Reebok ERS. Aye, erses like me that bought them!

Are they the baseball boots that had a milk top on the inside that covered where your ankle would be?,Bay City Rollers fans rocked them....lol

That's the ones I'd forgotten about the milk top bit think they bits were stuck on with spit

Edited by 3fingersreid

Is that no just the converse boots?

Fashions go in cycles except one pair would cost ?100 from schuh the other ?1.50 from trendsetter

Edited by 3fingersreid

Loved my Travel Fox... British Knight and Troop were just awful.

Football boots were always Puma King.

My favourite footwear of my youth... Pod sandals, I had many pairs in primary school (2bar)

Kenny ******* Powers

Not footwear related but does anyone remember Naff Co 54 jackets. I'm not 100% sure but I think they may have been a rip off of Naff Naff clothes.

They were a sure sign of the treg at my school. Ingleston market exclusives.

Not footwear related but does anyone remember Naff Co 54 jackets. I'm not 100% sure but I think they may have been a rip off of Naff Naff clothes.

They were a sure sign of the treg at my school. Ingleston market exclusives.

Aye, they were the bottom of the pit. Not sure about them being a rip off of Naf Naf though, don't think they tried to copy anything?!

There was a wee ditty we used to sing about these jackets but I can't for the life of me remember how it went.

I P Knightley

My kids have to wear them for primary school PE. A decent leveller to prevent the spoilt wee *******s from showing off that they've conned their brain dead, indulgent parents (who are incapable of showing love so substitute it with 'buying stuff') into parting with ridiculous money for crap made by slave labour that the Nike marketing men have convinced the simpletons is somehow better because it costs so much more.

Aye, they were the bottom of the pit. Not sure about them being a rip off of Naf Naf though, don't think they tried to copy anything?!

There was a wee ditty we used to sing about these jackets but I can't for the life of me remember how it went.

Naf co 54

2.99 at the 'ahem' corner store

;)

Got a doing for a pair of New Balance I had as a kid. Seems to be a "retro" brand these days.

Just shelled out 65 quid for a pair of these for my lassies xmas.

Edited by Eddie

Say What Again

They used to get called Peggy Duncan's when I was at school. I've no idea why.

Doing PE in a pair of those and your pants :(

Fort Vallance

Wayfinders in the mid 60's. Animal track soles and a compass in the heel in case I got lost on the way home from school. Power Point football boots with the numbers on them, but not for long. Gave the Alan Ball white ones a swerve !

kingantti1874

Did anybody have a pair of la gear with the flashing lights? I had a pair in p6 n thought i was the dogs

My sister, they were burds trainers

No mentions for SPX

Edited by kingantti1874

Had to endure Patrick, Hi-Tec and Quazer trainers and football boots throughout primary school, at high school mainly wore kicker shoes as it was easier to get my old dear to fork out for smart shoes than it was for decent trainers! Then just saved up myself for football boots with Diadora 10's and Puma Kings my favourite boots of all time!

Was eternally envious of my best mate that had a succession of Reebok Pumps and Nike Air Max and when I hit 30 I treated myself to a limited edition pair of Pumps, true to the pumps of the early 90's they lasted about a fortnight before the pump stopped working, still looked cool as feck though!

Had a brown pair. :facepalm:

Same here. Had another pair made with Gore tex. Feck knows what that was.

Fila is getting a bit if a tanning here but they were a decent brand in the mid to late 90's. Maybe lol.

Sergio Tacchini stuff, especially the bright efforts however...

:cornette: