Did yer Ma buy they trainers? If you grew up in the 70's/80's you'll know

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Not a massive Limmy fan but this is bang on the money!

Edited by Brian Whittakers Tache

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• Say What Again

• Sooperstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woolies used to do their own brand Winfield trainers and football boots with 2 stripes. God help any kid who had those.

When I started secondary Adidas Kicks were the trainers to have, my mum bought be Mamba as the guy in shop persuaded her they were better as they cost more. Not even sodding Samba, or Bamba but Mamba, the forgotten trainers of Adidas history.

Say What Again

Woolies used to do their own brand Winfield trainers and football boots with 2 stripes. God help any kid who had those.

Panam was another make you could only buy in either What Every Woman Wants (Watties) or Poundstretcher. I can't remember the retailer, but you were in trouble if you rocked up to school in a pair of them.

ToadKiller Dog

I was not amused when I was bought a pair of Gola trainers when I wanted nike as a kid .

Could have been worse Specs Royals from asda ( I think they were called ) were the ones to avoid if you didn't want to be picked on from the older kids .

I was not amused when I was bought a pair of Gola trainers when I wanted nike as a kid .

I piss myself laughing when I see all the people in their Gola trainers nowadays trying to be cool. Gola were one notch up from supermarket own brand when I was at school.

When I started secondary Adidas Kicks were the trainers to have, my mum bought be Mamba as the guy in shop persuaded her they were better as they cost more. Not even sodding Samba, or Bamba but Mamba, the forgotten trainers of Adidas history.

I had the Kick re-issues a few years back. Sadly not the same as they were back then.

Mamba are fairly sought after nowadays I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The People's Chimp

I can remember being about 8 and having a pair of Patrick Lazers and thinking they were the bomb. Worst at our primary were Astro Bumpers or Nicks, which were completely unacceptable. Coolest were Nike air of any variety, but the boy with the Air 180 was winning until he stood on a tack and burst the air bubble on about his first day showing them off. :lol:

Lazers:

$(KGrHqN,!jEE2n(iTLozBN3-0zr2VQ~~_12.JPG

The People's Chimp

Panam was another make you could only buy in either What Every Woman Wants (Watties) or Poundstretcher. I can't remember the retailer, but you were in trouble if you rocked up to school in a pair of them.

:rofl: God help anyone who sported a pair of them.

Say What Again

I can remember being about 8 and having a pair of Patrick Lazers and thinking they were the bomb. Worst at our primary were Astro Bumpers or Nicks, which were completely unacceptable. Coolest were Nike air of any variety, but the boy with the Air 180 was winning until he stood on a tack and burst the air bubble on about his first day showing them off. :lol:

Lazers:

$(KGrHqN,!jEE2n(iTLozBN3-0zr2VQ~~_12.JPG

I'd be slightly older than 8 at the time, but remember having a garish monstrosity of a pair of British Knights. They were all the rage.

Notbrainwashed

I had some Patricks at high school. Also had a tremendous pair of Nike Air basketball trainers when I was about 13/14. LOVED them

Edited by Notbrainwashed

I'd be slightly older than 8 at the time, but remember having a garish monstrosity of a pair of British Knights. They were all the rage.

Aye had a lovely black pair with gold trim

Patrick were serious football boot for serious players when I was at secondary school. I'm sure the top of the line ones were kangaroo leather. I always wore Puma football boots as I thought they were better made and cooler than Adidas.

Say What Again

I always wore Puma football boots as I thought they were better made and cooler than Adidas.

Puma Dalglish Silver, I had.

puma-dalglish-silver-si-1.jpg

Shanks said no

Actually proud to say I did have "Adida" Winfield trainers and football boots. Yes they were horrendous and yes you were slated for wearing them but they were character forming. You either stood up for yourself or sunk without a trace.

That and some of the awful clothes my mother would buy me, from Woolies or the Store, are one of many reasons I became a punk aged about 12. She wouldn't buy me any of that gear!. From age 12 to 17 i wore nothing but DM's, except when forced to do PE and i would wear a pair of Squash shoes. Went out with a girl down south and just as we were going out to "the Hop" in Burnley she informed me I couldnt wear DMs as i would be KB'd by the door staff, I borrowed her fathers shoes (he had to stay in that night - joke)

Edited by godandgorgie2012

Slevinkelevra

Panams there is a blast from the past!! Mind a boy turned up wi a pair of olympus trainers at school, I think they may have been olympus sports on princess street own brand. He was tortured. Prob should be on the shan thread, kids can be cruel eh?

Guest C00l K1d

I piss myself laughing when I see all the people in their Gola trainers nowadays trying to be cool. Gola were one notch up from supermarket own brand when I was at school.

They still are.

You got ripped to shreds if you wore gola, reebok, lonsdale, patrick etc when i was in school.

The only one thats made a decent comeback due to The Firm is fila. Fila was a no go for half of my school years.

I had the Maradona SPA King boots for years, every time I thought they might be knackered a good polish seemed to bring them back to life. Similar to these ones but with light blue on the soles

King_5F00_history_5F00_1986.jpg

Replaced them in an emergency when they eventually died just before a game with a pair of Lotto boots that were great as well and well fashionable at the time as a lot of Serie A players were wearing them.

Slevinkelevra

They still are.d

You got ripped to shreds if you wore gola, reebok, lonsdale, patrick etc when i was in school.

The only one thats made a decent comeback due to The Firm is fila. Fila was a no go for half of my school years.

I mind I asked my mum to get me air jordans for my birthday. Ended up wi some pavement ******* fila's that looked like a pair of orthapedic shoes.i got ripped at school for that.

Astros and Knicks were the ones to avoid when I was a youngster.

I was landed with a pair of Knicks at one point. The grips on the bottom of them had completely gone. Not good when you are football training inside slippery school gym halls.

As dad I. Taz is also being harsh on the mambas - I had kicks, sambas, bambas and mambas at one point, and I reckon silver mambas got me the most cool points. Not that I was the school Fonz the whole time as I recall sporting a pair of Hi-Tecs at one point. Although they were still several notches above Gola, Dunlop, Quasar or the walking kick-ins that were Nicks or Pan-Ams.

As dad I. Taz is also being harsh on the mambas - I had kicks, sambas, bambas and mambas at one point, and I reckon silver mambas got me the most cool points.

The Mambas were much better trainers and better made than Kicks, but the Kicks were the ones to have fashion wise. Not that we were allowed trainers at school outside PE, for cool points in that you needed Clarks Treks, Kickers or Pods.

Was forced to wear white plimsols on my first day of secondary,poor background,but my stepfather was a really vile evil *******.First pair of brand trainers were a pair of Hi-Tec Mustang.

Kenny ******* Powers

I had a shocking pair of BK's. They were so popular at the time that the only pair they had left in the shop were these white and pink numbers. I was so desperate to have a pair I wouldn't wait until they got new stock in and just bought them. Truly awful.

Travel Fox and Tropp were al the rage then too.

The Mambas were much better trainers and better made than Kicks, but the Kicks were the ones to have fashion wise. Not that we were allowed trainers at school outside PE, for cool points in that you needed Clarks Treks, Kickers or Pods.

I had a pair of red kickers. Plenty cool points back in the day but Christ knows how - they look like luminous orthopaedic shoes.

Say What Again

Travel Fox and Tropp were al the rage then too.

Travel Fox and Troop. I was trying to remember the other similar makes :thumb:

They all seemed to look like this

fa751d98ed9f496ca0aa3ef1a0a2e0b6.jpg

I can't remember having Troop, but I certainly had Travel Fox and BKs

Kenny ******* Powers

I had a brown Travel Fox shell suit which I wore along with the pink/white BK's.

Quite the fashionista back then.

:cornette:

Notbrainwashed

I had a brown Travel Fox shell suit which I wore along with the pink/white BK's.

Quite the fashionista back then.

:cornette:

Brown shell suit?! Did they even make brown shell suits? THought they were all horrendous dayglo colours. Christ, can only imagine you would have looked like a baked potato left too long in the oven.

Chaka Demus & pliers

They still are.

It's funny how things can change so quickly. Reebok were not only acceptable but everyone wanted a pair on Reebok Pumps at one point. Classics were also very popular when I was in my early years at high school.

Also I remember one style of Mizuno being acceptable for about a year but no-one ever wore them before or after that.

Guest C00l K1d

It's funny how things can change so quickly. Reebok were not only acceptable but everyone wanted a pair on Reebok Pumps at one point. Classics were also very popular when I was in my early years at high school.

Also I remember one style of Mizuno being acceptable for about a year but no-one ever wore them before or after that.

Oft reebok classics they were a no go :laugh:

We_are_the_Hearts

Had these as a young nipper as well........ :2thumbsup: Adidas Kicks were the ones to have when I started Primary school.....

Memory's a bit fuzzy now but was it Nike air Jordan's that had the pumps on the tongue? They were cool as feck.

Nah that was the Reebok pumps, only one boy in my primary school had them

Slevinkelevra

Memory's a bit fuzzy now but was it Nike air Jordan's that had the pumps on the tongue? They were cool as feck.

think that was reebok pumps. Talking of air jordans can anyone mind the patrick ewing trainers out at the same time??

think that was reebok pumps. Talking of air jordans can anyone mind the patrick ewing trainers out at the same time??

Vaguely. I remember the Converse Magic Johnsons which had the Lakers colours on them.

A lot of dough to be made selling Jordans on eBay, especially if they're from the early 90s although even the reissues sell well.

Kenny ******* Powers

Brown shell suit?! Did they even make brown shell suits? THought they were all horrendous dayglo colours. Christ, can only imagine you would have looked like a baked potato left too long in the oven.

Unfortunately yes.

Been trying to find an image but had no luck so far.

There are plenty idiots that would wear those monststrosoties now and think they were cool as ****.

Nah that was the Reebok pumps, only one boy in my primary school had them

I had Pumps, think Chaka did too.

Carl Fredrickson

We werent well off and as a youngster often got Woolies 2 stripes. After much begging I mind my dad taken me "into town" to Thompson Sports on Leith Walk to get a pair of Adidas Kicks.

I was almost in tears when the shop assistant said they didnt have any in my size. :veryangry2: My dad pushed the boat out and got me a paid of Sambas instead. Being an ungrateful little sod I was in a huff about it for days. Nearly 40 years later, I still buy Sambas!

BTW have you seen the prices of MAMBAS???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_kw=Adidas+Rare+Bamba%2C+Samba%2CMamba%2C+Rare+Brown%2CSuede%2CSize+7%2C+L%40%40K%2C+Trainers

Nicks and Gola were an instant kicking at my school.

There were also those hideous suede Fila boots that seemed to be acceptable to begin with then everyone bought them and resulted in mass bullying for those who didn't ditch them quickly enough.

Was only ever allowed to have Umbro football boots when I was at school. Even if you picked the "best" ones on display, they were still pish and you got ripped to pieces for having them.

:sob:

The People's Chimp

They've recently re-released the paddy ewings.

This thread has given me a few blasts from the past! One of my friends at primary school had a pair of BK Knights. God, they were awful.

Golas will always be Gola fasties to me. Not sure if it was just a Dunbar thing, but in the late 80s/early 90s fast meant bad/crap, for some reason. So Gola's were always referred to as Gola fasties.

Unfortunately had a couple of pairs myself in the late 80s. I remember my dad gluing a particularly shite pair back together when the sole started falling off at the front so that I could get more wear from them :( And if they were white, they'd get that white paint/polish stuff on them to make them last a bit longer :(

Thankfully, I did also have some decent Adidas and Puma ones occasionally. I started to choose my own trainers from probably about 9 or 10, so things improved from then :)

They've recently re-released the paddy ewings.

Saw some of them down in London a couple of weeks ago.

They actually looked not bad in a retro Jordan sort of way.

I'd still buy Jordans though.

Gawd knows how you lot manage to remember any of this stuff ... My memories, well I remember circa '79 my mum buying some crap Asda trainers which were horrific. Finally by about '81 I had saved up and manged to get a pair of Kicks. I always had Puma football boots from aged 10 onwards (for rugby mind but I was a back so as close as you'd get to football anyway :ninja:) - fortunately my old boy was in charge of sports wear so he at least knew the score. :thumbsup: