'Quiet Sections' in planes

TheMaganator

Surely it's time the airlines had these? Small sections of the aircraft for those that are wanting quiet for their journey...

I flew from Boston to Amsterdam yesterday and had 3 screaming children behind and next to me. I appreciate there isn't much you can do sometimes as a parent - if your kid won't stop crying it won't stop crying.

But the women over from me in my row had her headphones in most of the time and seemed happy enough to let her young son cry.

It was an overnight flight!

The same happened on the Amsterdam to Edinburgh journey too - though that was bare able as it only lasted an hour. I did have some bearded hippy sitting behind me though, humming away the same tune for 30 mins before he fell asleep and started snoring.

Surely it's time we had a quiet cabin/ section?

Has anyone used the noise reducing headphones? Do they work? It's a few hundred quid for the Bose ones but if they work I'd be prepared to pay.

1st class?

It's a glorified bus, at the end of the day - with less space!

The People's Chimp

You could get some sennheiser cx300 ( http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-cx-300-ii ) in ears for around ?37 (dont buy off amazon marketplace as likely to be fake and fall apart quickly) which have pretty good sound and do a decent job of sound isolation.

Problem with a quiet section would be that it would be another thing for you to have to pay for. Can feel your pain though. That sounds horrific. I'd have just got smashed on wine.

You could get some sennheiser cx300 ( http://www.whathifi.com/review/sennheiser-cx-300-ii ) in ears for around ?37 (dont buy off amazon marketplace as likely to be fake and fall apart quickly) which have pretty good sound and do a decent job of sound isolation.

Problem with a quiet section would be that it would be another thing for you to have to pay for. Can feel your pain though. That sounds horrific. I'd have just got smashed on wine.

Nice - may give them a try. My understanding of the Bose full ear jobs is that they stop all outside noise, so I could just sit in silence?

Was tempted to get smashed but didn't want to deal with the hangover

1st class?

The one time I've flown 1st class (got a very cheap last minute upgrade) there were two 7 year old boys there with their parents. They weren't crying, but they weren't well behaved either.

I hear you re the bus comment.

Would happily pay a bit extra for a quiet section! Regularly go down to london with work and for a 4.5 hr train journey I don't think I could handle not being in the 1st class quiet coach (Even if you do occasionally have top remind folk that it's a quiet coach so not really an ideal location to hold a work meeting).

If there are babies crying on a plane you'll probably hear them no matter where you're sitting. Quiet sections would give you the advantage of not being right next to them but you'd still probably be able to hear them, unless you used headphones. Upgrading is probably the only way to get away from it tbh.

Get yourself some of the foam earplugs that you roll up before putting them in your ear. Will block out almost anything.

Also, combine with as much free wine as you can muster!

1st class?

On a flight from Paris to Buenos Aires, I was in business class, and they moved a mother and young infant up from economy to sit across the aisle from me. The child was pretty noisey, crying and what-not.

I barely noticed as I was soon sozzled on free champers and brandy.

Quiet sections are just a pain in the arse on trains. They don't work and there's often a jobsworth customer that thinks people aren't allowed to talk in them. All they do is cause grief for those that people think are meant to 'police' the area. I don't even mention quiet coaches on my trains anymore and only make an announcement if an arse moans at me because someone's being too noisy for them.

I doubt they'd work well on planes either.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I've got some Audio Technica noise-cancelling headphones that work pretty well. They're full headphones - it's hard to imagine buds working as well as these. They won't cut out everything, though - so don't expect miracles!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OMKR8E/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure a 'quiet' section on a plane is really practical as you can probably hear a crying baby from just about anywhere on all but the largest planes. Luckily our little one doesn't tend to cry - she just pukes everywhere instead :laugh:

Surely it's time the airlines had these? Small sections of the aircraft for those that are wanting quiet for their journey...

I flew from Boston to Amsterdam yesterday and had 3 screaming children behind and next to me. I appreciate there isn't much you can do sometimes as a parent - if your kid won't stop crying it won't stop crying.

But the women over from me in my row had her headphones in most of the time and seemed happy enough to let her young son cry.

The same happened on the Amsterdam to Edinburgh journey too - though that was bare able as it only lasted an hour. I did have some bearded hippy sitting behind me though, humming away the same tune for 30 mins before he fell asleep and started snoring.

Has anyone used the noise reducing headphones? Do they work? It's a few hundred quid for the Bose ones but if they work I'd be prepared to pay.

That sounds like a ******* nightmare. I've always been quite lucky with flights, 10hrs to Jamaica in front of a 2yr old and the only time I noticed he was there was when he reached through the gap and stole a sweet :lol:

Goes the other way too, on a flight back from Cyprus when my wee yin was only 6 months was beside this prick who would loudly tut any time she made a noise but in between would talk loud as **** when we were trying to settle her for a nap. Ended up having to say to him to tone it down and maybe we'd all get some peace, that pissed him off no end :D

That sounds like a ******* nightmare. I've always been quite lucky with flights, 10hrs to Jamaica in front of a 2yr old and the only time I noticed he was there was when he reached through the gap and stole a sweet :lol:

Goes the other way too, on a flight back from Cyprus when my wee yin was only 6 months was beside this prick who would loudly tut any time she made a noise but in between would talk loud as **** when we were trying to settle her for a nap. Ended up having to say to him to tone it down and maybe we'd all get some peace, that pissed him off no end :D

Some people think its ok for adults to make as much noise as possible whilst a child cannot.

Bizarre

Been there fella!!!!

Got in a slightly heated debate on the plane home from Ibiza this summer, when my then 4 year old, who was watching her DVD player wearing earphones - I may add - forgot she was wearing them on a couple of occasions asked for a drink loudly, given she couldn't hear the tone of her own voice.

An absolute walloper behind me starting huffing and puffing about the noise, until me and the father of my daughters new best friend from holiday who was sitting next to us on the flight home (Emily's dad Big Kev from Easterhouse) turned round and told him how it was. :lol:

We got sent 2 x Stella Cans and sweets for the wee yin as an apology. :yas:

The lad even lifted our luggage down from overhead he was that scared, more of big Jev than me I reckon. :lol:

:smackdown:

Dagger Is Back

I got a pair of Sony noise cancelling headphones. Use them all the time Sat nights when X Factors on, when the wife's wanting a chat etc.

Bloody brilliant. Can't hear a word she says.

Nice - may give them a try. My understanding of the Bose full ear jobs is that they stop all outside noise, so I could just sit in silence?

Was tempted to get smashed but didn't want to deal with the hangover

I fly all the time for work and have the bose noise cancelling ones http://store.apple.com/au/product/HD717ZM/A/bose-quietcomfort-15i-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-limited-edition?afid=p219%7CGOAU&cid=AOS-AU-KWG-PLA but I actually find them difficult to wear. They are really comfortable, but the noise cancelling is a bit freaky.

I fly in business class for work though, so rarely disturbed by noise. Unless it is some beautiful Singaporean girl offering me another gin and tonic.

Fly economy class with my kids. It is a nightmare.

Remember when there were smoking sections on planes? What a stupid idea that was. Imagine if you wanted to be in the no smoking section, and you were in the last row before the smoking section started. WTF did the airlines think would happen to the smoke? Stopped by an invisible wall?

Remember when there were smoking sections on planes? What a stupid idea that was. Imagine if you wanted to be in the no smoking section, and you were in the last row before the smoking section started. WTF did the airlines think would happen to the smoke? Stopped by an invisible wall?

Air filtration systems were around 3 times stronger before the blanket ban on smoking, which means that air was far cleaner when people were still allowed to smoke - unless you were right next to a smoker. So the ban on smoking doesnt really help non-smokers, but it does save airlines cash.

Sergio Garcia

We got sent 2 x Stella Cans and sweets for the wee yin as an apology. yas!.gif

I know your a fellow Lanarkshire man Floyd but letting the wee yin have 2 cans of Stella at 4 years old is a wee bit early!

I know your a fellow Lanarkshire man Floyd but letting the wee yin have 2 cans of Stella at 4 years old is a wee bit early!

:lol:

jack D and coke

Last Sunday I had what I can only describe a child of Satan a few rows in front of me. For a whole hour after take off and about an hour before landing this horrible kid screamed the plane down. It screamed so hard it was going hoarse and voice all croaky which only made it sound more devil like and the parents done nothing to calm it down or make it stop. It absolutely infuriates me. I'm not sure what they could've done but the fact they made no effort only made me angrier. I swear I could've suffocated this kid it was horrible.

A kids section should be introduced and have a door which can be closed to block it out.

I love the idea of quiet sections on planes. I'd certainly book seats in there for me and my kids so they could play undisturbed.

A Boy Named Crow

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I actually suggested a similar idea to Virgin Trains when they asked me for feedback object a recent journey. Kids are by their nature restless, noisey and largely unaware of the effect they have on those around them. I would happily pay a small premium to travel in a child free section of the train or plane (merely going first class doesn't guarantee this).

I would extend this out to restaurants and cafes too. People should be able to go about their lives in peace without the disturbance caused by children. They have their place, but this place isn't everywhere!

Archived