Tax info help

1874robbo

I have filled out my online tax return.

My wife and I received the child benefit although I earn over the threshold I'll have so much of it to pay back which I understand and accept(although I don't agree with all of it)

What I'm looking for advice on though is I am PAYE. And after imputing all my details in it says I have paid ?241.00 too little tax on my employment earnings? Now if I'm PAYE is this my fault/problem?

Any help appreciated.

I gave them all the info on my p60 for year 2012-2013 which they asked for and the child benefits payments received from 7th jan 2013- 5th apr 2013.

All info is legitimate mate.

I'll definetly call them about it.

I have filled out my online tax return.

My wife and I received the child benefit although I earn over the threshold I'll have so much of it to pay back which I understand and accept(although I don't agree with all of it)

What I'm looking for advice on though is I am PAYE. And after imputing all my details in it says I have paid ?241.00 too little tax on my employment earnings? Now if I'm PAYE is this my fault/problem?

Any help appreciated.

Afraid so. You will be due to pay the tax. You can either lump sum pay it on 31 January. Or submit your return now and ask them to put it into your PAYE code so that it is taken from your pay over a number of months.

Your PAYE code for 2012/13 was probably slightly wrong e.g. a benefit you receive was understated, or you received an allowance you shouldn't have.

Afraid so. You will be due to pay the tax. You can either lump sum pay it on 31 January. Or submit your return now and ask them to put it into your PAYE code so that it is taken from your pay over a number of months.

Your PAYE code for 2012/13 was probably slightly wrong e.g. a benefit you receive was understated, or you received an allowance you shouldn't have.

They have my personal allowance code wrong on their calculation, not sure how much difference this would make?

It's about ?600 of a difference.

600 at 40 percent would be 240 pound the other 1 pound will be a wee rounding difference. If you are in the bracket where your PA is being removed I normally suggest taking it out of the code full stop as it means you will usually slightly overpay rather than underpay. It's a personal choice though as doing so reduces your monthly in hand cash.

600 at 40 percent would be 240 pound the other 1 pound will be a wee rounding difference. If you are in the bracket where your PA is being removed I normally suggest taking it out of the code full stop as it means you will usually slightly overpay rather than underpay. It's a personal choice though as doing so reduces your monthly in hand cash.

Thanks for the replies mate, much appreciated.

I don't know how they got that code anyway as I was never asked my code anywhere on the online tax return form.

Thanks for the replies mate, much appreciated.

I don't know how they got that code anyway as I was never asked my code anywhere on the online tax return form.

You wouldn't have been asked for it. Hmrc tend to send them to employers around February or March time each year so you should have received notification of this code about 8 months ago.

Unfortunately PAYE tax code errors are really common, problem is what makes them up changes all the time and HMRC are not very responsive! If you have any more questions shoot me a pm or bump this thread.

Thanks for all your info mate you gave been a great help.

I take it you work for the tax?

No, but I work in the personal tax department of an accountancy firm so this sort of stuff is my day to day work.

No, but I work in the personal tax department of an accountancy firm so this sort of stuff is my day to day work.

Thanks again for your help mate.

First time I've ever had to do a tax return and its all because of this family allowance thing.

Archived