'The Scotsman' in Freefall

Craig_

This is all opinion. As a Unionist I think the Scotsman is leaning towards the YES but ther are No supporters on here who think its a Unionist Rag.

jambos are go!, I've genuinely fascinated how you can read the Scotsman regularly and claim they are leaning towards a Yes vote. I find that a truly staggering statement.

I'm aware that most papers aren't perfect, especially in what they choose to cover and how prominent it is. Given that the Scotsman's target market is people who live in and around Edinburgh, they would be well advised not to antagonise vast chunks of their potenital market. They aren't like the Telegraph, which is aimed at crusty Tory people, or the Guardian which is aimed at bleeding hearted lefties. Also, I think the straight-up news coverage in the Scotsman is much more partial than in the Guardian or the Telegraph.

Also, nobody is arguing that the Klan Alba piece was reported as news, or that they don't have the right to publish it if they want to. People are suggesting that publishing crap like that is one of the many reasons why nobody reads the thing any more.

What really offended people was the image and the name - the article itself was just exploring facism in 1930s Scotland and the book it was based on was a history of far right politics in Scotland. I believe it also looked at Tories, Liberal and Labour minds who flirted with the BUF and facism in the round. The article, I don't think was offensive. The way it was sold was.

The article's author wrote this after the uproar - The book is an investigation into Scotland?s various entanglements with the ultra-nationalist, racist, authoritarian and militaristic ideology that is fascism. Nationalism in Scotland has been of the overwhelmingly ?civic? kind, a country mile from fascism

I don't think the Scotsman is dying because of this. It is however, based on the fact that, as you say, it's struggled to modernise and focus on Edinburgh and it's scene.

Franco Fascione

I agree The Scotsman web site is a mess. For good web layout The Independent and Guardian are miles better.

A friends brother is an editor with The Scotsman,and has mentioned in the past, that all the good Scottish journalists end up heading down south or even abroad, leaving us with the left overs.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

jambos are go!, I've genuinely fascinated how you can read the Scotsman regularly and claim they are leaning towards a Yes vote. I find that a truly staggering statement.

I have to agree with you here. The comment is truly astonishing. He is either on the wind up or very naive.

Maybe if you ignore the daily "warning that [insert catastrophe here] will happen if Scotland becomes independent" story the coverage might be construed as neutral.

Actually, no.

Alba gu Brath

The Scotsman seems to have been a reactionary force for bad since it was born. Not that I was around at the time but I understand that during the Highland Clearances, it became known as the 'Daily Liar' in the Highlands due to the paper's support for the landowners.

It's a totally peesh paper - format is boring and Daily Mail-esque. website is cac and the sheer political bias aint much better. How many 'SNP accused...' headlines have they run? The News is worse. No wonder sales figures have plummeted - just how much hysteria can the public take? Then again, the Daily Mail does fairly well....

Archived