11 Years Ago Today - Hibernian 1 Hearts 2 - Kevin McKenna 86 ;Phil Stamp 92

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

http://londonhearts.com/scores/games/200211031.html

Hibernian 1 Hearts 2

By Jon West, PA Sport

Hearts midfielder Phil Stamp provided a sensational end to the second Edinburgh derby of the season when he scored a stoppage time winner and was then sent off for celebrating it.

The midfielder struck in the third minute of stoppage time - with just two extra minutes having been signalled by the fourth official - to inflict misery on the home side.

It had appeared as though in-form Hibernian were about to avenge the painful memory of their 5-1 thrashing at Tynecastle in August with victory thanks to Mixu Paatelainen's first-half strike.

But with four minutes to go, makeshift striker Kevin McKenna headed an equaliser to set the stage for Stamp to strike the killer blow.

But the former Middlesbrough player committed his second bookable offence in the eyes of referee Willie Young for launching himself joyously into the Jambos fans behind the goal.

The result was harsh on Hibs who had been the more enterprising side.

McKenna had been thrust forward in the final minutes as Hearts were lacking Mark de Vries, the four-goal hero of the Tynecastle game, because of injury.

Craig Levein's side had dominated only during one spell, the opening minutes and it had been Stamp, who is an occasional scorer at best, who twice came close to opening the scoring.

The first was the result of a cleverly-directed corner by Jean-Louis Valois but the Englishman's effort, despite taking a deflection, was pouched by Nick Colgan in the Hibernian goal.

Colgan was also the equal of his next effort, which came after Paul McMullan had made ground down the left and Stephen Simmons had touched back the cross into his path. He had all the goal to aim at but once again found the goalkeeper.

The home side, who went into the game on the back of five successive league victories, had more attacking options at their disposal, even if the final ball was often far to hurriedly delivered.

Garry O'Connor, the teenage striker capped and then discarded by Berti Vogts, will have impressed the watching German with his energetic display.

But it was the veteran Paatelainen who broke the deadlock in the 36th minute, with a Scot also hoping to impress Vogts claiming the assist.

It was Ian Murray who rose above his marker to meet a Jarko Wiss corner at the back post and Paatelainen was there ahead of goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie in the six-yard box to bundle the ball home.

It had been the home side's first real chance despite putting their opponents under pressure.

Hibs continued to have the edge from the restart and, after he had fired weakly at McKenzie, O'Connor saw a shot blocked by Steven Pressley after he had won an indirect free-kick in the box after tangling with Andy Webster.

O'Connor got the better of Webster, turning him after collecting Paatelainen's ball over the top, but the shot was straight at the goalkeeper.

Then the Finn was presented with a sight of goal only to blast over the bar.

In the end, that inability to turn that superiority into further goals was to cost Hibs, who withdrew Paatelainen and O'Connor.

Hearts made a trio of substitutions and it was the introduction of Neil Janczyk for Scott Severin that proved to be significant as he supplied both goals.

The first saw Hibs surrender possession down their right flank and the substitute's cross into the box was perfect for McKenna to nod back across goal and inside Colgan's right-hand post.

Then Janczyk supplied the pass that sent Stamp unchallenged into the box and he made no mistake with a drive across Colgan.

McKenna had been cautioned for his celebrations after the equaliser and Stamp, who had been booked for first half toppling of Alen Orman, was on his way to the dressing room when the final whistle was blown.

Teams

Hibernian: Colgan, Smith, Fenwick, Zambernardi, James, Orman, Brebner, Wiss, Murray, Paatelainen (Luna 72), O'Connor (McManus 84).

Subs Not Used: Caig, Jack, Doumbe.

Goals: Paatelainen 36.

Hearts: McKenzie, Webster, Pressley, McKenna, Maybury, Severin (Janczyk 81), Stamp, McMullan, Simmons (Twaddle 72), Kirk (Weir 72), Valois.

Subs Not Used: Gordon, Wales.

Sent Off: Stamp (90).

Booked: Stamp, Simmons, Severin, McKenna.

Goals: McKenna 86, Stamp 90.

Att: 15,560

Ref: W Young (Scotland).

Great day. I ended up few rows down wen Stamp scored. My brothers work had a box. End of the game window was covered in spit,,,,,. Don't think your suppose to leap up and down at away end !! They never went back.

H1b5 fabs singing "who the fxxxing hell are you" when Neil Janczyk came on. A few minutes later he puts a perfect cross on McKenna's head. :laugh4:

Epic!

That team never knew when they were beaten.

I was in the main stand that day and minding my own however when the ginger rotund midfielder scored I stood up and punched the air. The seats around me emptied quicker than a students fridge!

Only time I saw the Jambos celebrating more than that day was the win after they won the League Cup and were meant to be presented with the cup but we humped them and did a sit in until the police dogs were sent in!

Cant believe that was 11 years ago. What a day that was.

Was in Glasgow watching it - went to see Morrissey that night at the Barrowlands - out my tree completely.

Nelly Terraces

That was a chuffing top night, I'd not long moved back from 8years in London, so a pleasant way to be welcomed home, doing the mutants like that.

Later on, in the Malt Shovel, some hobo twats came in and started giving 1 of the bar staff (all women) a hard time. The manageress asked if 1 one of us would give them a hand asking the pondlife to leave, so I duly obliged, not wearing any colours I sidled over 'C'mon boys, I know you're disappointed your team's lost again but think you've had enough to drink so better leave', the clowns weren't happy as they'd just got a round in but the lass just gave them their cash back. So, 6 untouched pints sitting there, nice touch as the manageress handed them to me and my 2 mates as a thanks for helping out. As I said, a more than satisfying way to celebrate coming back up to Edinburgh.

Cheers h**s, you truly are the gift that keeps on giving.

Harsh sending off. Stamp was a good player, fitness etc issues perhaps hampering him. Good guy welcome to visit any time. Liked his attitude. Maybe ask him to mentor Scott Robinson?

I feel very old.

Me too.

I think it was being told last week that my first visit to Easter Road was 20 years ago :arry:

Gregory House M.D.

H1b5 fabs singing "who the fxxxing hell are you" when Neil Janczyk came on. A few minutes later he puts a perfect cross on McKenna's head. :laugh4:

Set up stampy too :gok:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Me too.

I think it was being told last week that my first visit to Easter Road was 20 years ago :arry:

Jesus... that's worrying. It's when you start working it out as a percentage of your life, or your life expectancy, that it really hits home.

Gregory House M.D.

Captain Fantastic's hands up victory face celly :lol:

willie wallace

I am sure that was the game where they were strolling it and took off O'Connor and Patelinnen and see the game out.The rest is history.Celebrations were unbelievable.

I am sure that was the game where they were strolling it and took off O'Connor and Patelinnen and see the game out.The rest is history.Celebrations were unbelievable.

We were awful for 80 minutes that day. We had no clue what to do without MDV, and Valois had a really quiet game. Bringing Janczyk on and moving McKenna up front changed the game, and sparked some of the wildest celebrations I've ever been a part of.

We were awful for 80 minutes that day. We had no clue what to do without MDV, and Valois had a really quiet game. Bringing Janczyk on and moving McKenna up front changed the game, and sparked some of the wildest celebrations I've ever been a part of.

spot on. I remember just before we scored saying what a rank game it was and a waste of money. 10 minutes later my shins are bruised, the place went mental. Brilliant.

queensferryjambo

It was an awful game - brilliant result though.

When Stamp scored it was chaos in our end.

Ended up in the Cowgate after the game and met a pile of spewing Hibbees. Not that we rubbed it in much.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

if you really are sir David Attenborough then you are old.

:D

I know... But at least if I was, I would be a rich old ######, with some of the best memories and experiences available, under my belt. :)

As it is, I am a good deal younger, but I have never seen a tenth of the places he has, and will be nowhere even close by the time I die. :(

"that team never knew they were beaten". A fellow poster said . Who's team was that? ;)

Great day and I had a perfect view of Stampys goal. I was about pitch level in my seat, on the angle watching the ball cut daisies on the way in....... Cannae believe it's 11 year already.

Maroon Sailor

Levein has certainly aged in those 11 years.

Gary Locke might want to bear that in mind !

My 20th birthday. Among my most violent celebrations.

My first visit to Easter Road was in about 1989 - Denis Law was on the pitch and I got a "Booker Cash and Carry" mini ball. Nearly a quarter of a fecking century ago.

That was a great result. I remember listening to it when I lived in Birmingham and going mental at the winner. It's crazy to think that the next game topped that even with the 4-4.

Looking back, the number of late goals we scored was phenomenal. There was a proper never give up spirit in that team. Good times.

Hearts Heritage

We never won again at ER for 5 years, since then have we actually lost?

2002-11-03 Sun Hibernian 1-2 Hearts L SPL 15660 15:00 BBC McKenna Kevin;Stamp Phil; link--->

2003-08-17 Sun Hibernian 1-0 Hearts L SPL 14803 15:00 BBC link--->

2004-02-15 Sun Hibernian 1-1 Hearts L SPL 15016 15:00 BBC Pressley Steven pen; link--->

2005-01-02 Sun Hibernian 1-1 Hearts L SPL 17259 14:00 SET Hartley Paul; link--->

2005-04-23 Sat Hibernian 2-2 Hearts L SPL 16620 15:00 Miller Lee;Webster Andy; link--->

2005-10-29 Sat Hibernian 2-0 Hearts L SPL 17180 15:00 link--->

2006-04-22 Sat Hibernian 2-1 Hearts L SPL 16654 15:00 Bednar Roman; link--->

2006-10-15 Sun Hibernian 2-2 Hearts L SPL 16623 14:00 SET Velicka Andrius;Velicka Andrius; link--->

2006-11-08 Wed Hibernian 1-0 Hearts LC 15825 QF 19:45 BBC link--->

2007-04-01 Sun Hibernian 0-1 Hearts L SPL 15953 14:00 SET Zaliukas Marius; link--->

2007-11-04 Sun Hibernian 1-1 Hearts L SPL 17015 14:00 SET Nade Christian; link--->

2008-10-19 Sun Hibernian 1-1 Hearts L SPL 17030 14:00 SET Aguiar Bruno; link--->

2009-01-11 Sun Hibernian 0-2 Hearts SC 14837 4th 12:15 SKY Nade Christian;Glen Gary; link--->

2009-03-14 Sat Hibernian 1-0 Hearts L SPL 15091 12:30 SET link--->

2010-01-03 Sun Hibernian 1-1 Hearts L SPL 16949 15:00 ESPN Smith Gordon [3]; link--->

2010-05-01 Sat Hibernian 1-2 Hearts L SPL 11277 12:30 ESPN Santana Abreu Jesus Manuel;Obua David; link--->

2010-11-07 Sun Hibernian 0-2 Hearts L SPL 17767 14:15 SKY Templeton David;Elliott Stephen; link--->

2011-04-03 Sun Hibernian 2-2 Hearts L SPL 17793 12:45 SKY Stevenson Ryan;Elliott Stephen; link--->

2012-01-02 Mon Hibernian 1-3 Hearts L SPL 15013 12:15 SKY McGowan Ryan;Webster Andy;Skacel Rudi; link--->

2012-08-12 Sun Hibernian 1-1 Hearts L SPL 12887 12:30 ESPN Driver Andrew; link--->

2012-12-02 Sun Hibernian 1-0 Hearts SC 17052 4th 15:30 SKY link--->

2013-03-10 Sun Hibernian 0-0 Hearts L SPL 15007 12:45 SKY link--->

2013-10-30 Wed Hibernian 0-1 Hearts LC 16797 QF 19:00 BBC Stevenson Ryan; link--->

Creepy Lurker

Sure Janczyk started the next again week at home to Aberdeen and almost scored from the half way line. He looked like a great prospect.

Sure Janczyk started the next again week at home to Aberdeen and almost scored from the half way line. He looked like a great prospect.

Very talented youngster with a bad attitude.

I work with his sister, and she said he was just far too lazy to make it at a higher level, which is why he played for Brechin, the last time I checked.

Feed The Goat

Very talented youngster with a bad attitude.

I work with his sister, and she said he was just far too lazy to make it at a higher level, which is why he played for Brechin, the last time I checked.

I played in same school team with Neil and Darren?Fletcher. Neil looked the better player all day long but he just didnt have the drive or will to succeed. Funnily enough I bumped into Stampy a few months ago on holiday in New York, had a beer with him talking about the famous and he said Neil was the best midfielder hed ever played with and should have been a millionaire if hed pulled the finger out

Didn't Janczyk and Weir go for a round of golf the evening before a game?

Word reached Levein and I'm sure he had them running around Tynecastle carrying their golf clubs as punishment.

loveofthegame

Worst 85 mins ever. We were AWFUL. Hibs weren't much better but had scraped into a 1-0 lead.

Those last few minutes were ******* epic though!!!

Without doubt, the most bevvied I've ever been at a match.

I didn't realise we had actually won it until I got to work the next day.

I came up from Swindon and was at the game with fellow JKBer AndrewB. On around the 80 minute mark of a dire game we had a moan at how stale, dire and bereft of excitement Hearts and Scottish Football had become. We used to follow McDonald & Jardine's exciting team home and away in the late 80s.

A few minutes ticked by and, lo and behold - excitement & thoroughly mental celebrations every inch the equal of anything we experienced back in 86/87/88 followed...

We were in the top postage stamp corner of the South Stand (East Side) and at the end I fell over a row or 2 of seats, bashed my knees and landed in a heap. I looked up to see dozens of my fellow Jambos looking on in shock. But I soon sprung to my feet and joined in the celebrations again.

My next Hearts game I came up for ? Well we were losing 2-4 to Hibs in injury time at Tynie and..........

Archived