What's the Best Non HMFC Game You've Been At

Chad Sexington

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holland 3 - 1 Germany, Euro 92 in Gothenburg, for the most I've enjoyed a game. Probably one of the best as well. Was in the middle of the Dutch crowd and it was incredible.

A privilege to see the likes of Gullit, Rijkaard, Koeman, Van Basten and a young Bergkamp in the flesh - as well as Haesller, Klinsmann, Reidle, etc on the German side.

Apologies for all the spelling mistakes here!

stranraer-jambo

15th August 1998.

Hibs V Stranraer.

Their first home match of the season with everyone fully expecting a resounding home victory.

Sitting in the Hibs end with my brother-in-law (a Hibs fan) and his mates.

Final Score...................................

...........................................................................................................Hibs 1-2 Stranraer.

The winner was scored by Jason Young with a 20 yard screamer. Saw it was going in all the way.

My brother-in ?law had to pull me back to my seat as the ball was struck (to stop me being lynched). Had to sit on my hands and had a very smug face, while those around me were seething.

Great to see them losing at home with the winner scored by a former Jambo and the son of a Hearts legend.

Tokyo Drifter

1978 Charity Shield, when Forest beat Ipswich 5-0, and Raith Rovers v Bayern Munich at Easter Road, which was a hoot coz it was just so surreal and because I saw Jean-Pierre Papin, easily the most skilful player I've ever seen up close - with the exception of Kevin Twaddle, natch.

Newcastle 4 - 4 arsenal a few years back. Football at it's absolute best. Arsenal in the first half were the best team ive ever seen live.

I was also there.

Arsenal and RVP played the best football I will ever witness in the first 40 minutes.

1978 Charity Shield, when Forest beat Ipswich 5-0, and Raith Rovers v Bayern Munich at Easter Road, which was a hoot coz it was just so surreal and because I saw Jean-Pierre Papin, easily the most skilful player I've ever seen up close - with the exception of Kevin Twaddle, natch.

I was at Bayern vs Raith too. Klinsmann and Papin up front for Bayern. Good pairing. Not, though, a great game.

Australia beating Uruguay on penalties to qualify for the 2006 world cup.

Ah yes, I was there too. Without doubt, the most nervous I have ever been for a match which didn't have Hearts or Scotland. Brilliant, brilliant brilliant atmosphere.

Sergio Garcia

Czech Republic 1 Scotland 0 the day I saw the future of football, 4-6-0..............

But seriously most of the games I would have said have been mentioned so I'll go for either Scotland 1 Sweden 0 at Ibrox, Jim Leighton was outstanding that day.

jack D and coke

Quite a few Scotland games have immense, beating France 1-0 with Caldwell scoring was tremendous. Why they've moved the internationals to Fridays I'll never know that game kicked off at 5pm and it seemed like the whole stadium was bevvied and the atmosphere was just incredible. Same with the Italy game although the result went against us it was a brilliant, brilliant atmosphere. Raining, packed Hampden, noisy, plenty chances just everything that made me fall in love with football.

18Jambo_dave74

Aston Villa 3 Charlton 4.

2 red cards, an O.G., a defender in goals playing out his skin and a last minute winner.

15/4/70 Celtic v Leeds. A schoolmate's pal couldn't make it, so I stepped in to chum my mate. Leeds, at that time, were considered almost unbeatable (at least by English commentators!), but Celtic beat them at Elland Road and at Hampden. 136,00 crowd. Amazing atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJwp_xwrjU

Man City V Spurs 20-odd years ago. 0-0 but one of the best games I've ever seen for all out attacking football from both teams. Spurs had Lineker , Waddle , Gascoigne. A pleasure to watch.

Hibs V Leeds , UEFA cup, in the 70s. Hobos lose on penalties but bossed a team that was dominating English football at the time.

Scotland V England in 74. Scotland win 2-0 with two ogs and are on the way to Germany for the world cup (England didnae qualify).

Jimmy Johnstone post match standing in the centre circle with Peter Shilton's shirt on and he stops to look up at the press box and gives a big "v" sign to the English journos who had written him off.

One of my favourite memories in football.

Pat Stanton's testimonial against the victims was my earliest big crowd game (dragged there by my big brother I may add) but most fun was at Scotland games under Ally Mcleod, England V Scotland with Dalgleish's nutmeg was|is a blurry smiley type of memory :-)

Quite a few Scotland games have immense, beating France 1-0 with Caldwell scoring was tremendous. Why they've moved the internationals to Fridays I'll never know that game kicked off at 5pm and it seemed like the whole stadium was bevvied and the atmosphere was just incredible. Same with the Italy game although the result went against us it was a brilliant, brilliant atmosphere. Raining, packed Hampden, noisy, plenty chances just everything that made me fall in love with football.

That all depends if you were bevvied and in the crowd or sober and attempting to serve those that were bevvied! Was a horrible shift in all honesty!

Archived