What's the Best Non HMFC Game You've Been At

Chad Sexington

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name sounds familiar. Bus left from Mayfield.

Yeah usually started in Dalkeith - Mayfield - Newtongrange - Gorebridge - Gala > Liverpool.

Most folk blootered by the time they got to Liverpool!

Christian Benteke

Sitting in the Gorgie road end when you played Spurs a couple of years back, especially as Spurs are my 'English team'.

Got outed straight away though as my ticket had placed me right beside my Dads best mate & in front of a lassie I went to school with :rofl:

Used to take one of my Jambo mates to ER whenever there was a spare ticket going and returned the favour a couple of times, one that sticks out is a Scottish cup reply around 6 years ago away to Motherwell (Hearts lost 1-0 iirc) but the Hearts stand was completely full on a Tuesday/Wednesday night.

I was at the England v Greece match at Old Trafford and saw Beckham put on a masterclass. He single handedly got England through to the WC with his performance that day.

I think you will find that the Hearts goalkeeper, Antti Niemi, single handedly got England to the World Cup with his display that night against Germany in a 0-0 draw. It was 90 minutes of shooty ins from Germany.

Been to 3 Scotland England games can't remember much but the one we won, 1-0 Richard Gough, I was having a pish when he scored.

So probably Hedensford v Middlesboro' 0-0. It was to open the new stand, even then it wasn't great but boro' had the comidic gold of Hamilton Ricard and Mikael Beck up front, or in other words Pish and Pisher. Anyway it was the first game I took the wee Fella to.

I was extremely fortunate in 1966...

parents' friends from B'head...

got tickets for WC Brazil-Portugal...

Pele and Eusebio...

5-3..

Yours in 'as good as it got then (for me)'

TW

Nice one Tommy. Something similar for me wit two big names, albeit nothing quite as prestigious as those two. Spurs vs Feyenoord in the quarters of the UEFA Cup, Oct 1983 (my old man had taken me down to London for Oct break). A very young Ruud Gullit and an aging Cruyff.

Good game. We were seated behind the goals opposite end from the Dutch fans; main stand with it's two tiered terracing below the seats iirc (impressive to me at time) to our left. Stevie Archibald getting a brace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6UEcTmiZk

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/football.coupe.tottenham.feyenoord-rotterdam.32576.en.html

alex young hero

Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt 1959 euro cup final at Hampden the P.E teacher at my school was a selector for Scottish schoolboys got me a ticket in the South stand enclosure never to be forgotten even as a 14 year old

Yeah usually started in Dalkeith - Mayfield - Newtongrange - Gorebridge - Gala > Liverpool.

Most folk blootered by the time they got to Liverpool!

I got picked up once from the top of the steps at Woodburn at 7am. Had my first can open before the driver got into second gear.

Great times.

The Scotland v Spain game is right up there for me. I liked going to watch Scotland as it was a chance to go to the footie with my best pal - a hibby

My first international game in 1984. Can't remember who the Spanish centre forward was but Willie Miller might have put in the hardest fair tackle I've ever seen. Not on the vid unfortunately.

Bunch of us went across to France for the 98 World Cup. One of the games we saw was Chile-Cameroon. Had just about everything - end-to-end stuff, couple of cracking goals, red cards, Cameroon ending up with 9 men and almost winning it. At the end of all that, Chile qualified for the 2nd round. It was top stuff.

Man U v Liverpool Cantonas comeback I even started the great Mans song,honest , to my delight most if not :bucktooth: everyone joined in awesome :afro:

Guess The Crowd

funny to think that my brothers and I and you were all at that game 41 years ago

I remember making some sort of animal noise and waving my arms about and people around me goggle eyed and screaming 1-0 up against the invincible Brazil in a world cup finals match

Firstly, I knew the drink was strong that night, but I could have sworn it was only 31 years ago!

So many things about that night;

- the Brazilian women. Absolutely gorgeous, the lot of them. And there were loads - Brazil took about 30,000 to 40,000 to that game, and half of them seemed to be female.

- the heat. 120 degrees when we arrived in Seville at 4pm, it had 'cooled down' to 100 by the time of the game.

- the ticket prices. 300 pesetas (?1.25) for behind either goal, 800 pesetas for the side stands.

- like you, I was going crazy when Scotland were 1-0 up, only to get a tap on the shoulder from a Brazilian sitting behind me. I turned round to apologise, but he only wanted to give me some of his wine, which was in a sort of bag rather than a bottle.

Unforgettable occasion.

Blackford Hearts

Not the best but most bizarre: Barcelona 0 Real Madrid 0 November 2002

Figo returns to Camp Nou. Fans storm the Real bus before the game, then pigs head amongst other things thrown at him whilst trying to take corner. Game stopped for about 15 minutes then has to return to take same corner! Never seen so much thrown at one player

Champions League, Deportivo La Coruna 4-3 Paris St Germain.

PSG were 3-up early in the second half before Depor fought back.

The White Cockade

Scotland 3 Holland 2 in Argentina

or Scotland winning 2-0 in Wales to qualify for world cup

Scotland beating Czechoslovakia to qualify for 1974 WC

I think big Joe played in all of these - my favourite Scotland player

Was at a Germany v Austria world cup qualifier in the Olumpic stadium in Munich, absolute mayhem, fighting all over the place. Austian fans made it onto the pitch to plant a flag at half time - not bad as you had to get over 2 moats and dogs to get ther. Luckily Germany won or it might have been the start of WW3.

Maroon Sailor

Scotland 3 Holland 2 in Argentina

or Scotland winning 2-0 in Wales to qualify for world cup

Scotland beating Czechoslovakia to qualify for 1974 WC

I think big Joe played in all of these - my favourite Scotland player

Certainly played in the Wales game. Handled himself pretty well.

Snake Plissken

I don't really have much to choose from:

PSG v Toulouse 0-0: Pauleta missed a penalty and an open goal from six yards out a few moments later

Celtic v Artemdia Bratislava: 4-0 Celtic after they'd been cuffed 5-0. Shite game, was hoping they'd sneak a goal but they just camped at the edge of their box and tried to hold on. Quite amusing to see Tomothy so agitated when it was 4-0.

Queen of the South v Dundee: 1-0 Queens. Mediocre game, Jamie MacDonald was playing for Queens, flapped at a few corners but had little to do.

Busan I'Park v Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors: 1-3 Jeonbuk, for a cup semi-final it was a shocking atmosphere. About 3-4,000 people in the Asiad Stadium (capacity: 52,000). The worst standard of football I've ever witnessed live, every foul resulted in the player rolling around for ages. I thought I might take in some games but despite the cheap price (equivalent of 6 quid), I just can't be arsed.

So I guess I'll go with the PSG game because it was by far the best quality football on show. I'd love to get back and see the likes of Ibrahimovic and Cavani playing.

Some great stories on this thread. As a group with a common affinity we've covered some pretty diverse football over the years. Long may it continue.

Newcastle v Arsenal.

Arsenal 4 up going on 10 at half time. Ended up 4-4 with a 80th odd minute raker from Tiote. The seethe in the away end was brutal but I wasn't caring. Just witnessed one of the premier leauges greatest comebacks!

Maroon Sailor

Newcastle v Arsenal.

Arsenal 4 up going on 10 at half time. Ended up 4-4 with a 80th odd minute raker from Tiote. The seethe in the away end was brutal but I wasn't caring. Just witnessed one of the premier leauges greatest comebacks!

It was thee greatest comeback in PL history.

4 down with just over 20 minutes to go. Newcastle might have even snatched it at the end.

Creepy Lurker

Saw Sochaux beating Lyon, which was alright. Been to a few Sochaux and Marseille games but most were pretty average atmosphere-wise. Supporting your new local side is a nice idea, but I struggled to make myself be that interested in either. Saw AC Milan win a cup game 1-0 with a goal from Inzaghi too.

I went to Everton 3-3 Aston Villa last season and would have said that if it wasn't for the fact that I could see **** all from the back row of the lower tier in the stand behind the goals to the right (if watching on the tele).

So, as the sad ******* I am, I'm going to go for...

Cowdenbeath 3-4 Raith Rovers

From earlier this season.

Seriously, it was brilliant entertainment. Raith won it with a last minute penalty.

I got picked up once from the top of the steps at Woodburn at 7am. Had my first can open before the driver got into second gear.

Great times.

Great Times indeed!

The time we were at Goodison for 16yr old Rooneys last minute goal against arsenal will always stick in my mind, from the busload only 3 of us seen it as everyone else left with 5 mins to go so they could get back to the hotel, one of the 3 had slept/passed out for the majority of the second half and woke up seconds before Rooney let fly!

After the game a couple of Everton fans carried away in the euphoria of the win took us to their local round the corner where we spent the next couple of hours and were not allowed to pay for a single drink. Later found out that the pub was regarded as one of the hardest pubs in Liverpool and the guy on reception couldn't get over the fact we had not only been there but had a brilliant time!

Hibs Vs Dundee Utd. Last game of the season 97-98. In the Hibs end. :rofl:

On the way out I got outed by a lassie I went to school with. She was seething :rofl:

We_are_the_Hearts

Hibs Vs Dundee Utd. Last game of the season 97-98. In the Hibs end. :rofl:

On the way out I got outed by a lassie I went to school with. She was seething :rofl:

While Hearts were winning 4-1 at Pittodrie. There were still about 3 games to go?

west lothian loyal

1985 Everton 3 bayern munich 1 Semi final of cup winners cup.

I was working and living down there at the time and managed to take in every home game in Europe of both Everton and Liverpool on their marches to finals in cup winners and Euro Cup respectively. The pick of the bunch was Definately Evrrton v bayern tho . One of the best atmospheres ever.

Two for me, England 1 Scotland 2 Wembley 1977 as a 12 year old kid it was my first international game, and what a baptism it was!

Liverpool 4 Man Utd 0 Anfield 1990, Beardsley scored a hat-trick and Barnes got the other, Utd should have been 2 or 3 up in the first 20 minutes or so, first time id seen my heroes in the flesh, stuff that dreams are made of :-)

Only ever been to two non hearts games.

Scotland 1-1 draw with New Zealand at Tynecastle (Stevie Crawford scored our goal)

and a weekend trip to Stranraer coincided with a Stranraer v Hibs game during their wee sojourn in the 1st division, left at half time and went to the pub (Hibs won 4-0)

willie wallace

African Nations cup final in 1996 when South Africa beat Tunisia 2-0 in Johannesburg.100,000 there with Nelson Mandela and the Springbok rugby team with the world cup they had won the year before appearing on the pitch.Fantastic atmosphere and probably the first truly multiracial sports crowd backing their country My kids loved every minute of it.

rudi must stay

I went to a St Pauli - Hamburg game in pre season a few years ago. Amazing atmosphere and a great game too, I think it was 3-3

Templeton Peck

Just looked up the teams from Scotland France 1989. Stephane Paille came on as a sub for France :pimp:

Has anyone said the Scotland v Portugal under 16's World Cup Semi final? I went to that. Got moved from the school end to Gorgie Rd as it was too busy. Remember Wallace Mercer having to address the crowd. Was a great night

Dundee Utd vs Borussia M?nchengladbach in 1981. A 5-0 win for United against what was still a very good Gladbach team. I have never seen a better team performance from anyone, anywhere.

I was at that game as well,I went to the game with two mates,1 Hearts fan,1 Hibs fan.I suppose it was the closest any of us would get to Europe in those days.Eamon Bannon scored a fantastic goal that night

Enjoyed a fantastic Bayern M?nchen 0 - 2 Borussia Moenchengladbach in the Olympic Stadium in Munich a long time ago with Stefan Effenberg and Michael Sternkopf scoring for BMG. Think it was the first time Moenchengladbach had won in Munich since Gunter Netzer was playing so the atmosphere was great. Also really enjoyed 1998 world cup in France, but that was more the traveling around France, getting mildly inebriated, stuffing my face and getting to know the country rather than watching Scotland getting humped 3-0 by Morocco in St Etienne.

About 2 years ago saw a great game between Real and Raya Vallecano which ended up 6-2;total domination for Rayo in the first 40 minutes, but Real ended up walking it with their bus-parking, counter attacking thing. Strangely Kaka was brilliant. Atmosphere was polite and restrained. Rayo fans made what atmosphere there was.

You could count the number of non HMFC games that I've been to on one hand. The best was probably Scotland 1 - 0 Netherlands in the Euro 2004 play off. Scotland weren't particularly great but the result was a big upset.

Give me a Hearts game any time.

Best for me was actually at tynie. Scotland v Portugal in under 19? World cup semi 50p to get in. Game delayed due to crowd of cira 29000 and Scotland win into a world cup final.

Was amazing!

The only non-Hearts game I've been to was Scotland under 21s v (I think) Romania under 21s at Easter Road. I think it was probably around 91. I remember nothing about the game except that Paul Lambert played and that Easter Road was a hovel.

I've just heard that Brazil and Chile will be playing a friendly in Toronto next month. Hopefully I'll to go as the Rogers Centre is only a 5 minute walk from my work. I'm sure it will beat the under 21s game for future anecdotes!

I sometimes attend Bristol City games. However, every time I go the game is an absolute bore and City never win. The best being 0 - 0 against Rotherham a few years ago.

AC Milan V Liverpool, Champions League Final 2005, Istanbul. You all know what happened. I was there on a corporate jolly with work (Ford) so I was in the massive sponsors lounge before and after. Also met forgotten Scouse rock band The Coral too. Not a bad day all round.

The McGowans Babysitter

Australia beating Uruguay on penalties to qualify for the 2006 world cup.

Mines was at Tynecastle in 89 for the World Cup semi-final between Scotland and Portugal who had Luis Figo playing,Tynie was absolutely packed to the rafters and Celtics O'neil scored the winner then followed that up by missing the decisive penalty in the final when we got done by a Saudi Arabia team full of 15 year olds with moustaches. <_<

HillmanHearts

Mines was at Tynecastle in 89 for the World Cup semi-final between Scotland and Portugal who had Luis Figo playing,Tynie was absolutely packed to the rafters and Celtics O'neil scored the winner then followed that up by missing the decisive penalty in the final when we got done by a Saudi Arabia team full of 15 year olds with moustaches. <_<

Great shout - That was a cracker. Couldnae move in the old enclosure ( now section N )

My most memorable tho was Hampden for the 1st time as a callow youth . 1974. Scotland 2 England nil - 95k packed in - pishing down with rain.

Ormond pulled a flanker by playing both Lorimer and wee Jinky ( both right w/m players ) and we tore them a new one.

What an atmosphere !

The squad then headed for Germany world cup ( incl Donald Ford who had played the previous game against Wales but never managed a goal and was replaced by Joe Jordan for the England game ! )

Footballfirst

1987 Dundee Utd 1-0 Barcelona - I was right behind Kevin Gallacher as he scored.

For Scotland games, I was at the Czech games in 1973 and in 1977 (I thought they played better in the 77 game) plus of course the Anfied game v Wales

The only non-Hearts game I've been to was Scotland under 21s v (I think) Romania under 21s at Easter Road. I think it was probably around 91. I remember nothing about the game except that Paul Lambert played and that Easter Road was a hovel.

I've just heard that Brazil and Chile will be playing a friendly in Toronto next month. Hopefully I'll to go as the Rogers Centre is only a 5 minute walk from my work. I'm sure it will beat the under 21s game for future anecdotes!

Just booked tickets for the Brazil v Chile game! Looking forward to it, hopefully they will field strong teams.

Man Utd 3 Barcelona 0, Old Trafford 84, Cup Winners Cup Quarter Final, second leg, Bryan Robsons finest hour, overshadowing Maradona who was marked out the game by Graeme Hogg :-). Seriously amazing, deafening, electric atmosphere and Bryan Robson just had a look in his eye from the first minute, grabbed the game by the short and curlys and drove Utd home.

Archived