What's the Best Non HMFC Game You've Been At

Chad Sexington

I have only ever been to one non Hearts game.

Airdrie v Bewick Rangers, when Doddie was their manager. A chronic game.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

World Cup 1994 Nigeria v. Italy. Zola sent off within a minute or so of coming on, Baggio double, Nigerians with snake skins giving me the heebies.

Only been to a couple games not involving Hearts, Scotland v Lithuania when Miko dived and a couple Newcastle games at St James Park against Wigan and West Ham. Scotland game was probably the best.

stirlingshirejambo

The OP nailed it for me. Dalglish's goal one of the best I have ever seen live.

Right there brother

Behind the goals great game

Great atmosphere

Great goal

Maybe not the best but the most memorable - Aberdeen v Old Co when Durrant got his knee injury.

Never felt so much hatred at a match as there was that day like so sort of grallatorial encounter both sets of supports want blood.

QoS v. Aberdeen cup semi was some game too. 4.3.

Jimmy Glass scoring in injury time to keep Carlisle in the English top leagues.

Estonia 0 v. Scotland 3 - Best 2 seconds of my football life. Spent half an hour in the company of Jim Traynor, Andy McInnes, Graham Clark (I think) and one other journo the night before. Old Jabba didn't speak highly of Hearts fans even back then.

Celtic v Ross County, Scottish cup semi-final at Hampden.

In the Hearts end with Ross-shire friends.

Great day out, even better than the previous round at Easter Road.

This one for me too!

Great trip back up the road after it. We had a Caley fan driving the minibus.

The_razors_edge

Been to a few non hearts games but probably the most enjoyable was back in season 99/00 hibs v Aberdeen at ER (same day we got hosed 6-1 at parkhead). Hibs were having one of their few decent seasons and were doing well at home. Went along with an Aberdeen supporting mate and enjoyed watching Aberdeen win 2-0. There wasn't much in it but I vaguely remember eoin jess coming on as a sub and turning on the style.

scott herbertson

There's so many

A few England scotland games - the last one at the old wembley

Scotland Brazil in 1982 when Narey scored his toe poke is the most emotional I've been outside the end of the 98 final

Real against Atletico the weekend before the Atletico Hearts game was an experience

An Aberdeen rangers home game under Ferquson where they put the Hun to the sword and I realised I was going to watch the old firm lose the league (I was living up there at the time)

Dundee United 2-2 down at Old trafford (visiting my brother when I was living in Dundee)

....and many more

Only a couple for me, first one was Newcastle v Middlesboro January 2nd (I think!) a good few years back, Toon were winning 1-0 and then Boro went up 2-1 and then Lee Clarke scored in the 97th minute or something crazy like that to make it 2-2.

Was steaming drunk after being out all day on the 1st and then drinking in the platinum club at the ground before the game and at half time. :lol:

Second one was Rangers v Marseille in the early 90's, champions league game when Gary McSwegan scored the equaliser after Rangers were 2-0 down.

Ended up going with my old man, as his mate couldn't get away from work and all his other bluenose pals already had tickets, so it was me or his sole hooped demon mate, so I got the ticket.

Watched the game from the West Enclosure and had a cracking night. First proper game I've enjoyed with my old man by my side, I was almost pissing myself when they went 2-0 down but was totally caught up in the atmosphere when McSwegan scored.

Another one for France 0 - 1 Scotland at the Parc des Princes. Incredible night.

I seem to recall a Scotland u16 or u17 game at Pittodrie when Scotland were about 3 down and came back to win it, would have been late eighties maybe? That still sticks in the memory despite me having been a nipper

2 Newcastle games at St James Park for me, the 5-0 demolition of Man Utd, topped off with that wonderful Phillipe Albert chip and the Arsenal 4-4 game where Newcastle came back from 4 down after 26 mins, the second half was unreal!

unreal is the word for that match...... it's defo my favourite non-Hearts match that I've been at.

Guess The Crowd

1. Brazil 4 Scotland 1 (1982 World Cup, David Narey toe-poke)

2. Aberdeen 3 Bayern Munich 2 (1983 Cup-winners Cup QF 2nd leg)

scott herbertson

2. Aberdeen 3 Bayern Munich 2 (1983 Cup-winners Cup QF 2nd leg)

funny to think that my brothers and I and you were all at that game 41 years ago

I remember making some sort of animal noise and waving my arms about and people around me goggle eyed and screaming 1-0 up against the invincible Brazil in a world cup finals match

England Scotland 1977 2-1 for Scotland

the after match scenes and atmosphere

We're amazing 70/80,000 on the pitch

My mates brother was sitting on

the crossbar when it snapped

uefa cup final ,Liverpool v Alaves in Dortmund, mental night in the pishin rain ,goals galore ,sat behind Houllier, view and atmosphere were something else [non Liverpool fan btw]

Some great games; some great nights.

Sweden - Scotland 1990 WC in Genoa - after the initial loss to CR we could enjoy the occasion and post match bevvy.

This one however is probably the best all-round football match I've been too ...

Leeds - Hull, Div 2, Feb 1990 in League - Had it all - Strachan running the show, a header from the edge of the box, a stunning volley from Vinnie Jones, and an even better one by the Hull boy to take a 3-2 lead. Leeds win the match well into injury time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BSxd2gTIHA

I was also fortunate to see Scotland defeat Wales at Cardiff Arms Park in 1982 by a then record margin from the upper terracing at that end. They let us into the dressing room after the match too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quTJJa-zLlI

Only been to a couple games not involving Hearts, Scotland v Lithuania when O,Connor dived and a couple Newcastle games at St James Park against Wigan and West Ham. Scotland game was probably the best.

Fixed that for you.

Mine would be

USA 2-1 Mexico in Chicago, Gold Cup final, probably was ~10k USA fans and ~50k Mexican supporters, was an awesome atmosphere and witnessing one of the United States' best goals live, to get into the 2009 confederations cup and win the Gold Cup over our fiercest rivals was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGA2W4d5_E

In terms of the game itself it'd be France 0-1 Scotland one, I went absolutely bananas when we scored despite being in the home end.

In terms of atmosphere though it is Ujpest Dozsa V Ferencvaros hands down. To say they didn't like each other would be an understatement. Ujpest caned them 6-0 and it was their biggest ever win against them I think. The game was stopped 4 times and the players taken inside twice. 3 times it was stopped due to flares on the pitch and in the stands, you literally couldn't see the pitch for smoke at one point, and the 4th time was for the Ferencvaros fans trying to get the game abandoned by setting fire to the seats behind the goals. Incredible scenes. Plus I got to give Denis Rozsa abuse for being a Hibs **** for 90 minutes.

Say What Again

funny to think that my brothers and I and you were all at that game 41 years ago

I remember making some sort of animal noise and waving my arms about and people around me goggle eyed and screaming 1-0 up against the invincible Brazil in a world cup finals match

Oh come on, I I feel old enough without you adding 10 years onto my life :lol:

In terms of the game itself it'd be France 0-1 Scotland one, I went absolutely bananas when we scored despite being in the home end.

In terms of atmosphere though it is Ujpest Dozsa V Ferencvaros hands down. To say they didn't like each other would be an understatement. Ujpest caned them 6-0 and it was their biggest ever win against them I think. The game was stopped 4 times and the players taken inside twice. 3 times it was stopped due to flares on the pitch and in the stands, you literally couldn't see the pitch for smoke at one point, and the 4th time was for the Ferencvaros fans trying to get the game abandoned by setting fire to the seats behind the goals. Incredible scenes. Plus I got to give Denis Rozsa abuse for being a Hibs **** for 90 minutes.

And the water cannons and boy scoring a goal after invading the pitch. Great day out.

Can't think of many to be honest. Went to one Hibs game (not a great story and not my choice and I was wearing a Hearts jumper under my jacket) where Graeme Donald scored twice against Aberdeen. Also went to one United game as the lads mum was a fan and we were in Dundee.

However. In answer to the op it was probably one of my trips to Everton. Mate used to be part of a group of guys that went down half dozen times a year. I'd go for Manchester United who were in their pomp at the time. Winning 2-1 (I think).

The Tam Young trips by any chance?

You reminded me of another of my favourite games, I was on one of those trips for my 21st and witnessed Wayne Rooneys first EPL goal, THAT last minute winner v Arsenal!

The Scotland v Spain game is right up there for me. I liked going to watch Scotland as it was a chance to go to the footie with my best pal - a hibby

Plenty of club games to remember here in Oz, but something of significance was my visit to Madrid and seeing Real defeat Malaga 4-3. Malaga scored first and lead twice....Higuain scored a lazy 4 goals.

Just the stadium (close to full on a sunday night) and the relief when the Real goals went in, was epic. The Malaga fans were brilliant too throughout the day, heaps of them in the Madrid centre all well behaved and enjoying the day.

We've all got stories about our Hearts following experiences.

What's your best non-Hearts stories.

For me, Scotland v Spain. 1985 Hampden.

73'000 packed into the terracing.

As a young kid I was blown away by the whole occasion. Hampden was a cauldron and the noise and atmosphere was unbelievable.

The Scotland team at the time was also pretty tasty. Spain had been runners up in the 84 Euros and we took them apart.

Happy days. :)

Great goal from Kenny in that Spain game. I missed that game but was at the game against Wales in the same qualifying campaign wales won 1-0 and I'm sure Souness was sent off.

Best for me was the 1985 Scotland v England game when Richard Gough scored for a 1-0 win it was crazy on the rain soaked old terracing trying to avoid the crush barriers when the goal went in. I was supposed to be behind the goal in east terracing with my dad and uncle where it all kicked off with some English fans, luckily I had swapped my ticket to be in the same section as my mate. The rain was terrible that day, my bus ticket got ruined and I had no money left. I was glad the bus driver took pity on me let me on the bus.

And the water cannons and boy scoring a goal after invading the pitch. Great day out.

Forgot about that. The police didn't even wait til they had him out of sight before setting about him either.

I was also sitting next to the players wives at that game. Now where's that Pinilla simley...

Crikey! That's a hard one to top. :lol:

That must have been amazing. :)

Chad

It was...

but there was a Port. fan in front of us who had a huge flag...

and we missed some of the goals.

A great WC apart from the final (:

Best

TW

Internationally when Scotland beat Ukraine 3-1 just after beating France in 2007. The France result was much bigger and better but the Ukraine game had an expectation level that Scotland, for once, lived up to with both performance and result.

Domestically Blackburn 3-2 Southampton in 1994. Shearer for Blackburn and Le Tiss for Southampton never let us down. Le Tiss scored from the centre circle.

The Tam Young trips by any chance?

You reminded me of another of my favourite games, I was on one of those trips for my 21st and witnessed Wayne Rooneys first EPL goal, THAT last minute winner v Arsenal!

Name sounds familiar. Bus left from Mayfield.

Chic Charnley

England v Scotland in August. Scotland v Greece euro 96 qualifier Scotland v Austria 98 qualifier. Scotland 1 France 0 Scotland 3 Ukraine 1 Newcastle 4 arsenal 4.

I've got 2 "wee" teams that I have soft spots for and like to see doing well, as long as it's not to the detriment of Hearts: Livi and Queen of the South.

I was in the Livi end when they beat Hibs in the Diddy Cup final, but that game wasn't a patch on the Aberdeen 3 - 4 Queen of the South Scottish Cup semi - one of the best games I've been to full stop; not many Hearts games beat it, tbh.

Talk-o-the-North

Right there brother

Behind the goals great game

Great atmosphere

Great goal

I was in the old stand that night in line with King Kenny's wonderful strike and his trademark celebration. If I rememebr right he matched Denis Law's Scotland goalscoring record with that goal.

Cardiff v Swansea in the old Ninian Park with terracing.

Earliest kick off in British football history, 11am on a Sunday morning. was hammered by then. Having a pint in the terraces whilst standing in the sun was glorious.

Ref got hit with a coin, last minute penalty and some of the vilest chanting I have ever heard.

Bloody brilliant.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/apr/05/cardiff-draw-swansea-coin-throwing-incident

Optimus Prime

The two Scotland 1-0 games against France stand out for me. The Scotland end when McFaddens shot hit the back of the net in Paris. :scenes:

Others worth a mention are the Real Madrid v Leverkusen CL Final and I was also at that Brentford v Doncaster game on the last day of last season, i've never been to a game with such a dramatic finish.

We_are_the_Hearts

Sweden 1 Scotland 2 at Italia 90 for me. The days before neutrals bought half the tickets before the games had been drawn!! Ground was mobbed with Scots at both ends. McCall and Mo with the goals.

Leeds United v Man U (1994)

Pretty certain this was Cantona's first return to Leeds since he left to play for Man U. Leeds won 2-1. Cantona scored for Man U.

Mental atmosphere to say the least

King of the North

Man U 4 Man City 3. Owen scores the winner in injury time.

An incredible game, atmosphere, stadium.

Archived