What's the Best Non HMFC Game You've Been At

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

We've all got stories about our Hearts following experiences.

What's your best non-Hearts stories.

For me, Scotland v Spain. 1985 Hampden.

73'000 packed into the terracing.

As a young kid I was blown away by the whole occasion. Hampden was a cauldron and the noise and atmosphere was unbelievable.

The Scotland team at the time was also pretty tasty. Spain had been runners up in the 84 Euros and we took them apart.

Happy days. :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been to many but I was in the hibs end at their league cup final against Livi.

Took me everything I had not to absolutely pish maself laughing in their faces.

At half time I overheard one guy say to his mate at half time as he was passing "Ill see you in the pub after the parade"

:jjyay:

Was in the Celtic end at Hampden when Partick Thistle humped them 4-1 in the League Cup Final. Very Sweeeet :2thumbsup:

Rangers versus Sporting Lisbon a few years ago - I took a Rangers supporting mate to Tynecastle for a Hearts game so had to return the favour.

The game was shite and was a 1-1 draw, but it was worth it just for this simple bit of shouting dialogue after Sporting Lisbon scored in the last minute:

Jakie A - "GET IT UP YE YA SPANISH *******S!"

Jakie B - "Mate, ah hink they're fae Portugal..."

Jakie A - "Oh. *without missing a beat* GET IT UP YE YA PORTUGUESE *******S"

Quality :thumbsup:

Chad Sexington

Not been to many but I was in the hibs end at their league cup final against Livi.

At half time I overheard one guy say to his mate at half time as he was passing "Ill see you in the pub after the parade"

:lol:

2 Newcastle games at St James Park for me, the 5-0 demolition of Man Utd, topped off with that wonderful Phillipe Albert chip and the Arsenal 4-4 game where Newcastle came back from 4 down after 26 mins, the second half was unreal!

Scotland 3 Spain 1 (1984 World Cup qualifying) two early Maurice Johnston goals put Scotland in charge. Spain came back and at 2-1 the game was in the balance till a brilliant individual Kenny Dalglish goal settled it. Scotland were on fire in that autumn period and there was hugh confidence dented by a defeat at home to Wales the following Spring. As most know the Jock Stein game at Cardiff put us into a play off with Australia which helped Hearts go near top of league as games were postponed. Anyway we sneaked a 0-0 draw in Aus to qualify 2-0. Neither Johnston or Frank McAvennie, a scorer vs Aus went to Mexico of several dubious Alex Ferguson decisions. But on that night in Glasgow anything seemed possible.

Oh to be at a world cup finals again.

Chad Sexington

Scotland 3 Spain 1 (1984 World Cup qualifying) two early Maurice Johnston goals put Scotland in charge. Spain came back and at 2-1 the game was in the balance till a brilliant individual Kenny Dalglish goal settled it. Scotland were on fire in that autumn period and there was hugh confidence dented by a defeat at home to Wales the following Spring. As most know the Jock Stein game at

Did you actually look at the OP :lol:

It was awesome though. :)

mulleted_jambo

Probably Scotland 1 Holland 0 in the play-off's for Euro 2004. Was sitting right behind where McFadden scored from and the place went mental.

Great game and day out just a shame about the second leg.

Went to see the Galactico's in their prime with Zidane, Beckham, Rab Carols, Ronaldo etc. game was pretty poor and they got beat 2-0 (or 2-1 it was in the middle of 2 weeks in magalouf so my memory is a bit hazy) by Real Mallorca with Samuel Eto stealing the show for mallorca.

Scotland 2 France 0, 1989. Absolutely brutal weather, Scotland boabying a France team who didn't lose another game for 3 years. Mo Johnston was outstanding that night.

Did you actually look at the OP :lol:

It was awesome though. :)

yeah cheers for saying. Thought people might appreciate more info.

Scotland v Spain without a doubt - I was there. Seem to remember a pretty good victory against France in the 80's also.

Saw Ajax Amsterdam win their derby with Cruyff et al in full flow.

Quite enjoyed Hibs v Sporting Lisbon.

Scotland v Wales at rugby in 1971, the best match I've been at where my team lost.

Chad Sexington

yeah cheers for saying. Thought people might appreciate more info.

As opposed to actually watching the link. :biggrin:

Ooohh, you did a sneaky edit. :lol:

Good stuff. :)

Rudolf's Mate

I was at the Scotland v Spain game in 85 mentioned by the op but I was too young to totally appreciate it.

Went to the Pompey v Arsenal game which Henry ripped them apart. Quite surreal as they (PFC) never stopped singing once. Even chanting Henry's name with him applauding the Pompey fans.

Manchester City against Gillingham in the second division play off final in 1999.

Not a classic football match, but a last few minutes and injury time that nobody there will ever forget.

Dundee Utd vs Borussia M?nchengladbach in 1981. A 5-0 win for United against what was still a very good Gladbach team. I have never seen a better team performance from anyone, anywhere.

Celtic v Ross County, Scottish cup semi-final at Hampden.

In the Hearts end with Ross-shire friends.

Great day out, even better than the previous round at Easter Road.

Say What Again

Was taken to Ibrox by a colleague who's mate had to pull out of going at the last minute.

Sitting in the club deck as Del Piero and Vialli ripped them to shreds in a 0-4 win for Juve, was immense.

:verysmug:

Was also at the Estonia v Scotland game that never was. I guess that's the best non Hearts non game I've been too. :)

Cant bring myself to think of anything other than decent that didn't involve Hearts. Only been to 2 Scotland matches and they were both at ER against Australia and Canada.

Went to Raith Rovers vs Stirling Albion in July. Decent experience but the game was shite until the last 10 minutes.

Sat in the away end at ER for a couple of matches too. Dundee in the Scottish cup in 2005 and Brechin in the league cup in 2009. Games were nothing special and Hibs won both comfortably. Brechin had a poor crowd but the Dundee fans were a laugh.

Other than that I've only been to EoS matches involving Gala Fairydean or Hawick Royal Albert.

I was at the England v Greece match at Old Trafford and saw Beckham put on a masterclass. He single handedly got England through to the WC with his performance that day.

Manchester City against Gillingham in the second division play off final in 1999.

Not a classic football match, but a last few minutes and injury time that nobody there will ever forget.

I was also at that game

Slevinkelevra

2 Newcastle games at St James Park for me, the 5-0 demolition of Man Utd, topped off with that wonderful Phillipe Albert chip and the Arsenal 4-4 game where Newcastle came back from 4 down after 26 mins, the second half was unreal!

was at the 5-0 game, was amazing. Also the 5-1 game v sunderland in 2010, what an atmosphere. Nothing like hammering your rivals 5-1 eh :-D

France 0 Scotland 1 in 2007 for obvious reasons

Ipswich 5 Bolton 3 in 2000 first divison play off semi final second leg

it was 2-2 from the first leg and bolton were 3-2 up with seconds to play and ipswich equalised and then won in extra time against 9 man bolton team and a certain George Burley got mobbed at full time with a mass pitch invasion

Portugal 2 England 2 (6-5 pens) Euro 2004 - fantastic game of football for the neutral watching it

Can't think of many to be honest. Went to one Hibs game (not a great story and not my choice and I was wearing a Hearts jumper under my jacket) where Graeme Donald scored twice against Aberdeen. Also went to one United game as the lads mum was a fan and we were in Dundee.

However. In answer to the op it was probably one of my trips to Everton. Mate used to be part of a group of guys that went down half dozen times a year. I'd go for Manchester United who were in their pomp at the time. Winning 2-1 (I think).

Scotland 1-0 France at Hampden in 2006.

Honourable mentions to the Sevilla v Espanyol UEFA Cup final at Hampden and a couple of games I've seen at St James' Park - Newcastle 6-2 Everton, my first EPL game, and Newcastle 1-5 Manchester United, their front four of Ronaldo, Rooney (who scored an absolute raker), Tevez and Nani were incredible.

Went to most of the big Scotland games in the 60s 70s 80s .But the daddy of them all was the night we qualified for the 1974 World cup

at Hampden Sept 1973 v Czechoslovakia.

Disaster for Scotland when the Czechs scored a soft goal in the first half. Then big Jim Holton (eyes of blue six foot two} headed the equalizer

just before half time, the old ground went mental but nothing compared to the scenes when Joe Jordan scored the winner.

We could have flown to Germany without a plane that night we were so high. It was a marvelous time to be a Scotland fan then.

Man City 5 Man utd 1,1989,fans paggering in the stands,pitch invasion,players taken off the park after 3 minutes,mental day followed by a mental night in Stockport.

Happy days.

Went to most of the big Scotland games in the 60s 70s 80s .But the daddy of them all was the night we qualified for the 1974 World cup

Disaster for Scotland when the Czechs scored a soft goal in the first half. Then big Jim Holton (eyes of blue six foot two} headed the equalizer

just before half time, the old ground went mental but nothing compared to the scenes when Joe Jordan scored the winner.

We could have flown to Germany without a plane that night we were so high. It was a marvelous time to be a Scotland fan then.

That's number 2 on my list. I met Ally Hunter, the Scotland goalkeeper that night, at a New Year party about 10 years ago and he reckons Joe Jordan saved his life with that second goal.

My own number 1 is England 2 Scotland 3 at Wembley in 1967. Awesome. Won the DVD of the game in a London Hearts raffle a few years ago so have wallowed in nostalgia a few times since.

Auldreekie1874

I was at an FA cup tie at the The Den in the early nineties.

Millwall 4 Sheff Wed 4. Hat tricks for Teddy Sheringham and David Hirst that day.

Good Stuff.

Yeah this and Scotland 0 v 0 Brazil in the finals

We had our chances to win that one and should have qualified for the knockout stages..

Amazing support at all 3 games.

man utd v deportivo champions league quarter final, utd won 3-2, the game where beckham done his metatarsal and the whole of england went into meltdown,lol......................

Shanks said no

Scotland v Argentina - world champions and a very young Maradona and an obscure one Blackpool v Wimbledon - start of Crazy gang and their march through the divisions, you could tell even then that there was something different about their style / ethos

I was in the Livi end that day :jjyay:

Scotland 1-0 France at Hampden in 2006.

Honourable mentions to the Sevilla v Espanyol UEFA Cup final at Hampden and a couple of games I've seen at St James' Park - Newcastle 6-2 Everton, my first EPL game, and Newcastle 1-5 Manchester United, their front four of Ronaldo, Rooney (who scored an absolute raker), Tevez and Nani were incredible.

Scotland-France and the UEFA Cup Final are the best non-Hearts games I've been to.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Newcastle 4 - 4 arsenal a few years back. Football at it's absolute best. Arsenal in the first half were the best team ive ever seen live.

I finished exams on the last day of the season in 2008 (when they postponed the last round of fixtures due to Rangers' fixture backlog) so I went along to watch Aberdeen v Rangers.

Lee Miller scored and Aberdeen won 2-0 to cost Rangers the league :pleasing:

Kettering v Fulham in the FA cup a couple of years ago, excellent match in a good old fashioned stadium with terracing

That's my one 7years old sitting in the old stand with my dad and 30+ dockers from his pub the noise was unbelievable what a night to see my first Scotland game

Was also at Scotland v Spain in '84 and the Joe Jordan game in '73 all great memories.More recently.Man Utd 4 -3 Man City (Michael Owen last gasp winner)has to get a mention

Manchester City vQPR.

Manchester City V Manchester Utd fa cup semi.

Scotland v Wales Anfield

Scotland v England Wembley 77.

Manchester City v Chelsea Tevez scored the winner,Given saved a penalty.

Not been to many non-Hearts games, but the best one was probably at Villa Park in 2004 (roughly) when Aston Villa beat Chelsea 3-2. This was Abramovich's first season, but Ranieri was still in charge. Thomas Hitzlsperger and Hernan Crespo scored absolute belters that day.

France 0 - 1 Scotland in Paris, McFadden wonder goal and more importantly Craig Gordon on fire keeping the French at Bay.

Amazing trip on the Tartan Army train from Glasgow overnight. Amazing day at the foot of the Eiffel Tower before the long march to the ground, just superb - good times :)

Archived