• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The apple didn't land on newtons head. The fable goes that he saw an apple fall from a tree and this sparked his idea for the 3 laws.

It seems so obvious to us now but back then it wasn't. Imagine in 400 years someone on a galactic footbal message board asking 'how did such and such not realise why time travel was so easy. he must've seen differing speeds of light everyday'.

The thing that fries my mind, is that if you acknowledge that time travel will be possible at some point in future, you must also accept that people from the future walk among us every day ...

A Boy Named Crow

The thing that fries my mind, is that if you acknowledge that time travel will be possible at some point in future, you must also accept that people from the future walk among us every day ...

Which then leads to the worrying thought that they might have invented a "cloaking" device first. Maybe they follow us about all the time...watching. What if your most embarrassing moments are now being streamed on some kind of 25th century reality tv show?

Which then leads to the worrying thought that they might have invented a "cloaking" device first. Maybe they follow us about all the time...watching. What if your most embarrassing moments are now being streamed on some kind of 25th century reality tv show?

My thinking is it is almost certain that time travel will be possible in future, but there is a fair chance that at some point in the next hundred or so years some megalomaniac will wipe out planet earth and all it's inhabitants, therefore, no one from the future is among us.

My thinking is it is almost certain that time travel will be possible in future, but there is a fair chance that at some point in the next hundred or so years some megalomaniac will wipe out planet earth and all it's inhabitants, therefore, no one from the future is among us.

Who's to say it is not possible now, and that it is just us living in the past, rather than the present (though, clearly, it is the present to us).

A Boy Named Crow

Who's to say it is not possible now, and that it is just us living in the past, rather than the present (though, clearly, it is the present to us).

Time travel would struggle with the "Grandfather" paradox though - ie you travel back on time and kill your grandfather, which means you are never born, which means you can't kill your grandfather, which means are born, travel back and kill him...Which means you are never born...and so it goes on!

No idea if this is true or not, but isn't there a school of thought that suggests time travel is feasible, but only into the future?  If so, then the Grandfather paradox is redundant.

Does anyone else ever get a croak at the back of their throat when they yawn? Can anyone else actually hear it or does it just seem so loud because it's in your mouth?

BoJack Horseman

No idea if this is true or not, but isn't there a school of thought that suggests time travel is feasible, but only into the future?  If so, then the Grandfather paradox is redundant.

I think it's the other way around. You can only travel into the past. 

I subscribe to the multi-verse theory anyway. So paradoxes aren't an issue.

How come folks who insist on no ice or fruit when they're ordering a spirit and mix at a bar tend to be, for want of a better word, plebs. This also includes those who stick their (unwashed) fingers into the drink to remove said bit of fruit and leave it on the bar/table.

(Please note my use of the word 'tend' which means I don't mean you)

Edited by GlasgoJambo

BoJack Horseman

How come folks who insist on no ice or fruit when they're ordering a spirit and mix at a bar tend to be, for want of a better word, plebs. Especially those who stick their (unwashed) fingers into the drink to remove said bit of fruit and leave it on the bar/table.

What's wrong with sticking your fingers in your own drink? Dipped my balls in a pals drink once. That I can understand you complaining about.

What's wrong with sticking your fingers in your own drink? Dipped my balls in a pals drink once. That I can understand you complaining about

Bet you wish you hadn't tried it with his cappuccino :lol:

JamboInSouthsea

Is time even really a 'thing'?

Oddly enough I tried to argue that time was just a man-made concept in a 1st yr physics exam. The question was about time dilation and I couldn't remember how to answer it so battered on with my own theory.

Needless to say I got 0/20 for it and it came with the comment 'But it's useful'.

Then about 20 years later I spotted a piece in New Scientist saying that some scientists don't think we should be using it so much due to it be a kind of concept and it over-complicated matters...never did write to the university and demand my 20 points :(

How come folks who insist on no ice or fruit when they're ordering a spirit and mix at a bar tend to be, for want of a better word, plebs. This also includes those who stick their (unwashed) fingers into the drink to remove said bit of fruit and leave it on the bar/table.

Ice can inhibit the flavour of a spirit. If they've insisted on no ice or fruit, why would they get a drink WITH either of them included?

No idea why they'd appear to be plebs, though - not got enough bartendering experience.

BoJack Horseman

Oddly enough I tried to argue that time was just a man-made concept in a 1st yr physics exam. The question was about time dilation and I couldn't remember how to answer it so battered on with my own theory.

Needless to say I got 0/20 for it and it came with the comment 'But it's useful'.

Then about 20 years later I spotted a piece in New Scientist saying that some scientists don't think we should be using it so much due to it be a kind of concept and it over-complicated matters...never did write to the university and demand my 20 points :(

Why wouldn't we use time? What else would we use?

JamboInSouthsea

Why wouldn't we use time? What else would we use?

Feck knows mate as apparently it's useful...bit in New Scientist didn't really say much as to alternatives or nothing at all, it was a short piece so guess whoever wrote it ran out of time.

All roads lead to Gorgie

What's wrong with sticking your fingers in your own drink? Dipped my balls in a pals drink once. That I can understand you complaining about.

post-2100-0-66527100-1420482502_thumb.jpgWhole new concept to a well known beverage.

scott herbertson

I had a similar response to my well argued point in the main point scoring essay for the scandinavian history 2 course at Uni that the main site for the missing  lost viking hoardes referred to in several of the sagas was Gotland

Do you notice when you challenge academic 'received wisdom' your points are never answered? I just got a " no it wasn't there" and marks off

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/december-2011/article/archaeologists-return-to-investigate-viking-period-site-in-gotland

run forward 40 years 

BoJack Horseman

Feck knows mate as apparently it's useful...bit in New Scientist didn't really say much as to alternatives or nothing at all, it was a short piece so guess whoever wrote it ran out of time.

Reminds me of..

ytZ6RSF.jpg

Unknown user

I had a similar response to my well argued point in the main point scoring essay for the scandinavian history 2 course at Uni that the main site for the missing lost viking hoardes referred to in several of the sagas was Gotland

Do you notice when you challenge academic 'received wisdom' your points are never answered? I just got a " no it wasn't there" and marks off

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/december-2011/article/archaeologists-return-to-investigate-viking-period-site-in-gotland

run forward 40 years

I watched a thing about that the other night, very interesting. Might have been one of those Vice documentaries, they were trying to find the battlefield at Agencourt too

JamboInSouthsea

I had a similar response to my well argued point in the main point scoring essay for the scandinavian history 2 course at Uni that the main site for the missing  lost viking hoardes referred to in several of the sagas was Gotland

run forward 40 years 

Had several issues when an undergraduate (chemistry at University of Edininburgh) and there is/was a great deal of snobbery in academic circles, fisticuffs even.

I had a seriously good shout at some doctor (name with held) running my final year project during my presentation...reckon I achieved yet another 0/20

Maybe that's why sometimes you have little moments where you lose your balance, or stumble over seemingly nothing...

Maybe you've bumped into them or tripped over them!

I think it's the other way around. You can only travel into the past. 

I subscribe to the multi-verse theory anyway. So paradoxes aren't an issue.

Nah, forward.

If you could travel faster than the speed of light it ****s time up and what feels like 2 minutes to you is actually 20 years to those around you.

Not sure how it works but it's definitely going forward.  

All a theory of course.

Great thread.

Haven't read the whole lot so apologies if already asked.

How come they never seem to open up new grave yards? I mean hundreds of thousands die every year and a fair chunk must get buried. Multiply that by hundreds of years and why haven't we run out of room or do they just dig some old ones up or bury them a bit deeper so they can get one on the top?

Or are their graveyards in the middle of nowhere that I don't know about.

Great thread.

How come they never seem to open up new grave yards? I mean hundreds of thousands die every year and a fair chunk must get buried. Multiply that by hundreds of years and why haven't we run out of room or do they just dig some old ones up or bury them a bit deeper so they can get one on the top?

Trying not to be too sensible but it is probably something to do with more people getting cremated these days.

I have certainly been to a lot more cremations than burials.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Great thread.

Trying not to be too sensible but it is probably something to do with more people getting cremated these days.

I have certainly been to a lot more cremations than burials.

I think more people are being cremated nowadays.  It was also the done thing for families to buy plots in graveyards. Each plot can normally take 3 coffins so every headstone you see may have 3 coffins under it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Maybe that's why sometimes you have little moments where you lose your balance, or stumble over seemingly nothing...

Maybe you've bumped into them or tripped over them!

No that's just the drink :party:

Great thread.

New graveyard was opened in Linlithgow about 12 years, so it does happen!

New graveyard was opened in Linlithgow about 12 years, so it does happen!

Thanks,

So I was right they put them in the middle of nowhere

Thanks,

So I was right they put them in the middle of nowhere

They opened a new one off Old Dalkeith Road 3 or 4 years ago.

Is it true that bees get drunk off nectar which explains their somewhat laid back nature?

Why is cricket and rugby deemed a posh sport in Britain yet it's a working class game in other countries?

Why is cricket and rugby deemed a posh sport in Britain yet it's a working class game in other countries?

Rugby Union is considered posh in Australia whilst Rugby League is considered working class.

I would imagine it depends on what schools support what sport.

Well if you went to Wales or the Scottish Borders and suggested rugby was a posh sport you would get short shrift. I think the cricket thing may be the countries where it is a massive sport tend to be hotter countries and it's not that exhausting. Could you imagine trying to play a full length game of football in India or Pakistan in the summer? Also, one bat, a ball and something to make stumps and you can play it with little expense.

Edited by Tazio