Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just now, Ribble said:

Depends if you use the football or hockey definition. Strangely I prefer the hockey one!

As an example say we won 3 - 1 having been 3 -0 up and the opposition pulled a goal back at the end of the game, who would you say scored the winner? 

Is it the player that put us in the lead, so scorer of the first goal or the player that ensured victory, so the player scoring the second? Or is it neither and the player last to score for the victorious side gets attributed to as having scored the winner?

Surely the player that scored the second goal, no?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Depends if you use the football or hockey definition. Strangely I prefer the hockey one!

As an example say we won 3 - 1 having been 3 -0 up and the opposition pulled a goal back at the end of the game, who would you say scored the winner? 

Is it the player that put us in the lead, so scorer of the first goal or the player that ensured victory, so the player scoring the second? Or is it neither and the player last to score for the victorious side gets attributed to as having scored the winner?

I'd have thought that the term "winner" applies only when there is a single goal difference in the score.

49 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'd have thought that the term "winner" applies only when there is a single goal difference in the score.

Yup. That would make sense to me too.

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

The Dutch word for gloves is handschoenen, which literally means hand shoes in English. 

Those crazy Dutch. Blame the drugs. :D

4 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Surely the player that scored the second goal, no?

Yeh, 100%. It's the goal that won the game.

North Berwick Jambo
On 10/03/2019 at 15:01, Tazio said:

Why is Lansdowne Road so low at one end, I seem to remember that was a low terrace before the ground was rebuilt as well. Does it back onto people's back gardens or something?

Yes it does actually, it’s has many houses right behind the stadium wall at that end, it’s also the same at Croke Park in Dublin as it has a railway line behind one end. 

12 hours ago, Smithee said:

The Dutch word for gloves is handschoenen, which literally means hand shoes in English. 

Same in German. It's why I love their sticklebrick language, it's like the whole thing was invented by some old auntie who keeps forgetting what things are called. 

"Pass me my.... my.... you know, like shoes but for your hands.... Gloves! That's the word! Pass me my gloves!" 

And clearly the word for plane was concocted 5 minutes before the shift ended for the weekend.

"There's this new invention! It's a thing that flies! What should we call it?" 

"Thing that flies. Let's go to the pub." 

Health and safety in football. Uche was taken to the hospital after the game. In my work we would have to do an investigation if someone was injured . Do Hearts have to do something similar would they for.example have to report a RIDDOR for severe injury. It is technically a work injury 

2 hours ago, Quint said:

Health and safety in football. Uche was taken to the hospital after the game. In my work we would have to do an investigation if someone was injured . Do Hearts have to do something similar would they for.example have to report a RIDDOR for severe injury. It is technically a work injury 

2019-04-02.png

Why, when there’s a twitter message copied onto here, it’s wider than everything else and you need to adjust your screen size to properly view it?

Why does the earth's magnetic north pole keep moving?

I understand that the magnetism comes from the churn in the molten centre of the earth, but why is the pole in constant motion, moving sometimes by kilometres each year?  This really makes things difficult for people navigating with magnetic compasses.

A wee bit consideration, please.  :wink:

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why does the earth's magnetic north pole keep moving?

I understand that the magnetism comes from the churn in the molten centre of the earth, but why is the pole in constant motion, moving sometimes by kilometres each year?  This really makes things difficult for people navigating with magnetic compasses.

A wee bit consideration, please.  :wink:

Basically, Earth is neither perfectly spherical nor perfectly homogenous--neither Earth as a whole or the molten part of its core. Earth spins on its axis too, creating convection currents. So as various metallic elements flow about down there, the magnetic field they project around the planet shifts. But defining how this happens exactly, or predicting what the field will do next? Not really possible as the deep details aren't understood.

Two things.

How are Edinburgh bus stops given their two-letter code?  It seems completely random.

Does anyone, other than the media, use the word “revellers”?  

REV_ALBUMCOV16.jpg

4 hours ago, FWJ said:

Does anyone, other than the media, use the word "revellers"?

Edited by Boof

5 hours ago, FWJ said:

Two things.

How are Edinburgh bus stops given their two-letter code?  It seems completely random.

Sure it's only places like Princes Street, Shandwick place etc where there are multiple stops serving different bus routes, and they then tend to use P for Princes St and then alphabetical for the second letter. Where a bus stop is the only one on the street or all services passing the bus stop actually stop there then there is no 2 letter code

On 08/04/2019 at 10:26, Justin Z said:

Basically, Earth is neither perfectly spherical nor perfectly homogenous--neither Earth as a whole or the molten part of its core. Earth spins on its axis too, creating convection currents. So as various metallic elements flow about down there, the magnetic field they project around the planet shifts. But defining how this happens exactly, or predicting what the field will do next? Not really possible as the deep details aren't understood.

The movement of the poles is speeding up too:

Earths-Magnetic-Field.jpg

Source gives a theory for what is causing this drift: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinanderton/2019/01/16/the-magnetic-north-pole-has-moved-heres-what-you-need-to-know-inforgraphic/#3e49734e7c05

The magnetic poles sometimes change places too.  The north pole becomes the south pole.

What causes that?  And what would be the effect on humans?

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, Boof said:

REV_ALBUMCOV16.jpg

:lol:

My old boss is in the band. Best boss I’ve ever had!

Bizarre seeing him in a sleeveless shirt with his hair spiked up!

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

My old boss is in the band. Best boss I’ve ever had!

Bizarre seeing him in a sleeveless shirt with his hair spiked up!

Erik?

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

Adam. 

Aha...the lefty bassist. He plays in a few bands. I'll give him a hello next time I see him...presume he'll know you as Captain Sausage ??

If it had been Erik I was going to be astonished that he was someone's boss ?

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Boof said:

Aha...the lefty bassist. He plays in a few bands. I'll give him a hello next time I see him...presume he'll know you as Captain Sausage ??

If it had been Erik I was going to be astonished that he was someone's boss ?

:lol: unlikely. 

He’ll definitely know me if you mention Hearts or ask about the best engineer he’s ever had the pleasure of managing. ?

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

:lol: unlikely. 

He’ll definitely know me if you mention Hearts or ask about the best engineer he’s ever had the pleasure of managing. ?

In Edinburgh?

3 hours ago, Boof said:

REV_ALBUMCOV16.jpg

:laugh:

Fair enough.  But I’ve yet to hear anyone say “busy in town tonight, loads of revellers, must be payday”

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Sure it's only places like Princes Street, Shandwick place etc where there are multiple stops serving different bus routes, and they then tend to use P for Princes St and then alphabetical for the second letter. Where a bus stop is the only one on the street or all services passing the bus stop actually stop there then there is no 2 letter code

Cheers, it just doesn’t seem to make sense how they do it.  It would be easier if they were P West, P Central, P East or even PW, PC, PE.

On 12/04/2019 at 11:28, FWJ said:

Two things.

Does anyone, other than the media, use the word “revellers”?  

On 12/04/2019 at 16:58, Ribble said:

It's a bad at the Infirmary where they have six stops with codes at the main bus stop area within the hospital, and another five in the area. Trying to use LB's journey planner for a trip starting or ending there is a nightmare, if you don't already know what bus stop you need.

30 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Why don't polo shirts have polo necks?

Its associated with the game polo which came over from India with the type of shirt (and jodhpurs) I believe. 

been here before

Numbers 11-19...

Eleven

Twelve

Thirteen

Fourteen

Fifteen

Sixteen

Seventeen

Eighteen

Nineteen

Why isnt 11 known as oneteen, 12 as twoteen and 13 as threeteen?

13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Numbers 11-19...

Eleven

Twelve

Thirteen

Fourteen

Fifteen

Sixteen

Seventeen

Eighteen

Nineteen

and 15 as fiveteen?

been here before
22 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

and 15 as fiveteen?

Well I took it as assumed that theres little difference betwixt fif and fiv, but aye.

Edited by been here before

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Numbers 11-19...

Eleven

Twelve

Thirteen

Fourteen

Fifteen

Sixteen

Seventeen

Eighteen

Nineteen

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76007/why-it-eleven-twelve-instead-oneteen-twoteen

19 hours ago, been here before said:

Numbers 11-19...

Eleven

Twelve

Thirteen

Fourteen

Fifteen

Sixteen

Seventeen

Eighteen

Nineteen

Obviously it's because oneteen, twoteen and threeteen aren't words.

50 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Why do home satellite dishes face south?

To be pointed towards the TV satellites, which are in a belt around the Equator, for the most part.

10 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Why do home satellite dishes face south?

In the southern hemisphere they face north.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

In the southern hemisphere they face north.

In that case I’m blaming the Coriolis effect. 

Or the illuminati. 

2 hours ago, gjcc said:

In that case I’m blaming the Coriolis effect. 

Or the illuminati. 

Or continental drift. :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

After decades of screw topped lids why are we still putting up with leaky milk bottles when opened and placed on their side?

5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Why is that poster from Hamilton not all over this thread?  

If ever there was someone who can be classed as "couldn't be bothered to find out", our man from Hamilton is it. 

35 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

After decades of screw topped lids why are we still putting up with leaky milk bottles when opened and placed on their side?

I think it's a problem for cheap coo-ncil milk bottles. My Cravendale doesn't leak. 

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Put the lid back on.