Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I say pork like fork. How would those who say pourk pronounce porcupine? They both have the same derivation. 

I remember getting leathered with a ruler by a teacher at primary school, because when reading out loud, I kept pronouncing 'want' like 'rant'. She gave up eventually. My previous teacher had been a weegie, so I blame her. I usually pronounce it like waunt now, but it depends who I'm talking to. 

We all do. I prefer my own language, but hey. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Folk that get ‘how’ and ‘why’ mixed up.

That rips my knitting as well. I mean, how would a person do this?

1 hour ago, superjack said:

That rips my knitting as well. I mean, how would a person do this?

How are you asking me?

:wink: 

Why did printing take so long to invent?

We did it in school with a cut potato - it couldn’t have been beyond the Greeks or Romans or Chinese?

michael_bolton
29 minutes ago, FWJ said:

We did it in school with a cut potato - it couldn’t have been beyond the Greeks or Romans or Chinese?

Printing itself, like we all did at primary school, is an ancient thing. Some estimates have printing as a technique as being as old as 6,000 years.

So, it wasn't beyond any of the groups you mentioned. Mass printing, which came in with the printing press, was a different story.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

The first printing in large numbers in Britain was done by the monks and churches , they had an education that allowed them to read,  and it’s from there that the union branches in the print unions had fathers ( and latterly mothers ) of the union rather than the more commonly known shop stewards or the like in other unions . 

been here before
35 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Whatever happened to John Smeaton? 

Died after suffering a stroke in 1792.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

I did wonder if he had moved abroad. I recall some of his former colleagues challenged his version of events by claiming he had turned up after the attackers had been restrained and he kicked a guy that was down. I imagine cctv would have captured it all but don't remember hearing about any evidence to back up either story. 

• 3 weeks later...
All roads lead to Gorgie

I was watching the NFL show and wondered where one team in particular got their name, the Cincinnati Bengals. Tigers in Ohio?

Most teams have names associated with their location, Miami Dolphins, Seattle seahawks, the 40 niners after the Californian gold rush and so on but that one name stands out.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I was watching the NFL show and wondered where one team in particular got their name, the Cincinnati Bengals. Tigers in Ohio?

Most teams have names associated with their location, Miami Dolphins, Seattle seahawks, the 40 niners after the Californian gold rush and so on but that one name stands out.

The franchise takes its name from an earlier Cincinnati Bengals team, which played from 1937 to 1941. It also was a nod to Paul Brown's Massillon, Ohio, roots where he coached the high school team known as the Tigers.

On 11/09/2018 at 08:08, iantjambo said:

When betting on football, why do bookies list bets as over/under 1.5,2.5,3.5 etc?

Why not just over/under 1,2,3 etc?

Because of the old conundrum: does "over 1" include 1 or not? I know, most people would say "We'll no, obviously", but some punters will still get confused.

This way, there is no ambiguity.

2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The name Bengals came from a stove. :) 

https://www.wcpo.com/news/our-community/from-the-vault/from-the-vault-do-bengals-owe-their-name-to-a-stove

Bengal-Floyd-Wells-co-Wood-Cook-_1.jpg

Edited by redjambo

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Because of the old conundrum: does "over 1" include 1 or not? I know, most people would say "We'll no, obviously", but some punters will still get confused.

This way, there is no ambiguity.

That makes sense.

cheers ??

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

The franchise takes its name from an earlier Cincinnati Bengals team, which played from 1937 to 1941. It also was a nod to Paul Brown's Massillon, Ohio, roots where he coached the high school team known as the Tigers.

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

That is really interesting and I am sure the fans are relieved they didn't choose Elephants as their name. Notice there was a Celts team as well. Cheers to both of you for your info!

6 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I always wondered why we have a lion rampant instead of an enraged pinemarten or something

All roads lead to Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I always wondered why we have a lion rampant instead of an enraged pinemarten or something

I know it was first adopted by Alexander II in the 12th century but maybe a throw back to the Romans who were known to have Lions. 

Not sure an enraged Pinemarten would scare off the enemies though :smile:

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

22 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I know it was first adopted by Alexander II in the 12th century but maybe a throw back to the Romans who were known to have Lions. 

Not sure an enraged Pinemarten would scare off the enemies though :smile:

The page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_coat_of_arms_of_Scotland#Kingdom_of_Scotland suggests that it was in fact Alexander's dad King William the Lion who used the lion rampant before his son.

Here are some other uses of the lion in heraldry by countries who have probably never seen a wild lion in their chuffs (it was used of course as a symbol for "courage, nobility, royalty, strength, stateliness and valour").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_rampant

I'd be up for a pine marten to replace it.

All roads lead to Gorgie
47 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_coat_of_arms_of_Scotland#Kingdom_of_Scotland suggests that it was in fact Alexander's dad King William the Lion who used the lion rampant before his son.

Here are some other uses of the lion in heraldry by countries who have probably never seen a wild lion in their chuffs (it was used of course as a symbol for "courage, nobility, royalty, strength, stateliness and valour").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_rampant

I'd be up for a pine marten to replace it.

Probably the most duff thing to appear on Kickback but tin hat on here goes ?

images_LI.jpg.4f50421ffceadea7c5573331ab35cea9.jpg

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

:) See when they make me king - you've got the job as my Lord Lyon King of Arms. Hands down.

P.S. I like the sun-dried tomatoes! They finish it off perfectly.

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:) See when they make me king - you've got the job as my Lord Lyon King of Arms. Hands down.

P.S. I like the sun-dried tomatoes! They finish it off perfectly.

Thought I wound give it a Latin touch ?

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Definitely more statant than rampant.

? If statant means shite then you're correct. I think as a country we should stick with a ?.

cant be bothered going through whole thread, but have always wondered, in 24hrs in A & E, when they go for a cat scan, they are told to hold their breath and breathe in,  how can they do that if they are unconscious

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I like it!

But then I like these modern variations on the classic

FB_IMG_1537133306970.jpg.8bbb54773327de8c0c42f50d26711c2e.jpgFB_IMG_1537133330036.jpg.18115509f0851944d43e6fa3dad84100.jpg

All roads lead to Gorgie
45 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I like it!

But then I like these modern variations on the classic

FB_IMG_1537133306970.jpg.8bbb54773327de8c0c42f50d26711c2e.jpgFB_IMG_1537133330036.jpg.18115509f0851944d43e6fa3dad84100.jpg

elegant-william-wallace-meme-47-best-scotland-images-on-pinterest.jpg.af23f8c973685dbaa97d8e7254c6e0f3.jpg

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There you go.

images_LI.jpg.4f50421ffceadea7c5573331ab

Thanks. Filled with pride now. :smugger:

Not. ?

20 hours ago, iantjambo said:

That makes sense.

cheers ??

There's actually a lot more to it. These are known as Asian Handicaps. You can get whole numbers, .5's, .25's and 0.75's as well as 0's in certain situations.

In terms of over and under goals you can get over 1.5, over 1.25, over 1.75 and over 1. For 1.5 it's as simple as 2 goals wins as its over 1.5. In 1.25 and 1.75 your stake is split equally into 2. For 1.25 your bet is split into over 1 and over 1.5 and for 1.75 it's split into over 1.5 and over 2. How can you get over 1 and over 2 I hear you ask? Well if you have over 1 and only 1 is scored then your stake is refunded.

For handicaps it's the exact same. You can get -1, -1.5, -1.25 and -1.75.

For a 0 handicap this is technically the same as draw no bet

Edited by Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

There's actually a lot more to it. These are known as Asian Handicaps. You can get whole numbers, .5's, .25's and 0.75's as well as 0's in certain situations.

In terms of over and under goals you can get over 1.5, over 1.25, over 1.75 and over 1. For 1.5 it's as simple as 2 goals wins as its over 1.5. In 1.25 and 1.75 your stake is split equally into 2. For 1.25 your bet is split into over 1 and over 1.5 and for 1.75 it's split into over 1.5 and over 2. How can you get over 1 and over 2 I hear you ask? Well if you have over 1 and only 1 is scored then your stake is refunded.

For handicaps it's the exact same. You can get -1, -1.5, -1.25 and -1.75.

For a 0 handicap this is technically the same as draw no bet

Didn't know this - thanks for the explanation Jeff.

Dates.  

I presume the ones you get at Christmas etc are dried - or is that how they grow?  Do they have a peel?  If they are peeled and dried why do you never see fresh ones?

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

Dates.  

I presume the ones you get at Christmas etc are dried - or is that how they grow?  Do they have a peel?  If they are peeled and dried why do you never see fresh ones?

The ones you get at Christmas are how they come off the tree.

24 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Does PM May own a coat, jacket, jersey or blouse that doesn’t stop half way up her arms ? 

Perhaps her style guys have decided that these give the impression that she has her shirt sleeves rolled up doing the business for Britain. And I only say that half in jest.

46 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why do folk with beards wear ‘after shave’?

Probably 'cause we call it cologne where we're from, whereas aftershave is a completely separate balm we put on our faces to soothe the skin after shaving. ?

18 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Probably 'cause we call it cologne where we're from, whereas aftershave is a completely separate balm we put on our faces to soothe the skin after shaving. ?

Fair enough Justin.

Cheers :thumbsup: 

On 16/09/2018 at 12:27, milky_26 said:

Cleveland Browns were named after him were they not.