Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Samuel Camazzola
48 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

No. For example, there are temporary speed limits on the A90 from Dundee to Aberdeen. There are also 'average speed cameras' too. If you went through those at 70mph, when the temporary speed was 50mph you would not get clocked. Would be absolute carnage if they tried to enforce it, so 'speed camera's' are kept the same all the time.

👍 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

superjack
9 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I don't drive, so don't get points on your licence because of this,  but I heard before that temporary traffic lights are only advisory, good chance temporary speed limit signs are too. 

That's true re temporary traffic lights. On another note, when there are road workers controlling traffic with stop/go signs, those are legally enforceable. 

A Boy Named Crow

Is everyone who posts in the Terrace a monumental arsehole, or did I just get unlucky?

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, superjack said:

That's true re temporary traffic lights. On another note, when there are road workers controlling traffic with stop/go signs, those are legally enforceable. 

The world is a mixed up,  complicated place 😂

I go past a few car showrooms if I'm going into the office and there's always literally hundreds of cars sitting in and around the showroom but maybe only 1 or 2 people actually inside the place, presumably interested in buying a car. How do these dealerships make a profit? Do they deal on a sell or return basis from the manufacturer? Just loads of very expensive cars sitting unsold every time I pass.

Lone Striker
On 05/05/2022 at 12:33, JWL said:

I go past a few car showrooms if I'm going into the office and there's always literally hundreds of cars sitting in and around the showroom but maybe only 1 or 2 people actually inside the place, presumably interested in buying a car. How do these dealerships make a profit? Do they deal on a sell or return basis from the manufacturer? Just loads of very expensive cars sitting unsold every time I pass.

Judging from the regular calls I get from Arnold Clark, West End Skoda and the local garage in Lithgae trying to flog me a new car, my guess is they're desperate to offload new petrol/diesel cars while they're still worth something.   The cost of electric cars is coming down (slowly) and the government are trying to phase out petrol by 2035 (I think), so its a race against time to flog as many as they can before they become worthless.

The trade-in you get when switching to electric is likely to fall too, unless the government introduce a  scrappage scheme.     

Add in the belt-tightening that lots of folk are having to do, and you're spot-on in wondering how some car dealerships can survive the next 10 years.  

Jambo_jim2001
29 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Judging from the regular calls I get from Arnold Clark, West End Skoda and the local garage in Lithgae trying to flog me a new car, my guess is they're desperate to offload new petrol/diesel cars while they're still worth something.   The cost of electric cars is coming down (slowly) and the government are trying to phase out petrol by 2035 (I think), so its a race against time to flog as many as they can before they become worthless.

The trade-in you get when switching to electric is likely to fall too, unless the government introduce a  scrappage scheme.     

Add in the belt-tightening that lots of folk are having to do, and you're spot-on in wondering how some car dealerships can survive the next 10 years.  

The amount of mark up on second hand cars is a fair amount,a lot of the nearly new cars are usually ex rental. Dealership buys new car and claims likes of vat etc. back. Another way is to tie punters up to finance deals and service deals. The service you get is very little for a lot of money, it's another way of finding add on work. I could say a lot more but due to NDA unable to. The stuff I have mentioned is common knowledge though😳

Why do F1 pit crew wear full fireproof overalls and helmets on race day but up until then they’re wandering around in shorts and trainers? I appreciate the pit lane speed limit is higher on race day but no more chance of fire now there’s no refuelling. 

Dick Dastardly

When fighter planes have a battle its called a dog fight but dogs don't fly. Why isn't it called a crow fight or a gull fight or even an eagle fight? 

37 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

When fighter planes have a battle its called a dog fight but dogs don't fly. Why isn't it called a crow fight or a gull fight or even an eagle fight? 

It comes from the early days of aviation when planes couldn't get off the ground. I think they just drove around the ground shooting each other. I heard the early Red Arrows shows were pretty shit too.

27 minutes ago, Meathook said:

It comes from the early days of aviation when planes couldn't get off the ground. I think they just drove around the ground shooting each other. I heard the early Red Arrows shows were pretty shit too.

Before that i.e. centuries a dogfight was a name for a sort of melee or close combat fight between two or more parties. Then it evolved to what we now know as dogfights

been here before
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Before machine guns were invented pilots would of opposing airforces would often have little alternative but to show their displeasure toward each other by waving their fists or making angry faces.

As aircraft developed and engines became more powerful they would take up vicious fighting dogs that, once close enough, they would throw at each others open cockpits.

The rest is self explanitory.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Maybe a bit complicated for this thread,  but I've always wondered how you fly a fighter plane. I know there's a joystick,  but does that control speed, ascent/descent, right and left (both turning and rolling)? Seems a lot for one stick, but then doing all that at high-speed in a dogfight, with separate controls would be brutal too.

Anyone know?

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

3 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Maybe a bit complicated for this thread,  but I've always wondered how you fly a fighter plane. I know there's a joystick,  but does that control speed, ascent/descent, right and left (both turning and rolling)? Seems a lot for one stick, but then doing all that at high-speed in a dogfight, with separate controls would be brutal too.

Anyone know?

The dog helps before it's chucked into the opposing cockpit.

A Boy Named Crow
Just now, graygo said:

The dog helps before it's chucked into the opposing cockpit.

Would it be better to have two dogs fighting in the cockpit for the controls...or or be the guy with nae dug at all, having to work all the controls himself? A tactical nightmare!

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

34 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Do you want to be the one to break the bad news to him?

flying-dog.jpg

I'm beginning to think that he's not really Dick Dastardly.

download.jpeg

Jambo_jim2001

On the subject of aviation...... How does a blind parachutist know when he's close to ground??.....does the dogs leash go slack??

🙄

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Muttley really ****ed you up eh?

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Before machine guns were invented pilots would of opposing airforces would often have little alternative but to show their displeasure toward each other by waving their fists or making angry faces.

As aircraft developed and engines became more powerful they would take up vicious fighting dogs that, once close enough, they would throw at each others open cockpits.

The rest is self explanitory.

They could have used lances and jousted

Dick Dastardly
3 hours ago, Meathook said:

The Top Gun origin film will be kinda boring as well

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Anyone know?

Its something to do with a joystick and flaps. Once i get that far i just start to chuckle to my self. Joystick and flaps 😂😂😂😂

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Do you want to be the one to break the bad news to him?

flying-dog.jpg

I stand corrected 

Dick Dastardly
2 hours ago, graygo said:

I'm beginning to think that he's not really Dick Dastardly.

download.jpeg

Drat and double drat. Foiled again! 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Muttley really ****ed you up eh?

Useless wee mongrel. Just couldn't catch that damn pigeon 

been here before
31 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

They could have used lances and jousted

Then we'd be talking about horsefights. Besides where would the horse go?

Ridiculous suggestion.

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ridiculous suggestion.

Aye, i didny really think that through, did i? 

A Boy Named Crow
8 minutes ago, been here before said:

Ridiculous suggestion.

Dogs are used as weapons (and co- pilots) in dog-fights, dogs also race around tracks...as do horses. It's not inconceivable that the next escalation in the battle for supremacy in the skies could be equine.

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

muttley-gif-10.gif

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

muttley-gif-10.gif

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Archive photographic evidence is available to support your claim. 

Flight Lieutenant Rover (left) seen here on a mission over Baghdad in the first Gulf War.

dogs_might_fly.png

(left)  :lol:

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Dogs are used as weapons (and co- pilots) in dog-fights, dogs also race around tracks...as do horses. It's not inconceivable that the next escalation in the battle for supremacy in the skies could be equine.

You'd have to keep them in the undercarriage. I'll get my coat... 

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No room for ambiguity when discussing military matters, Konrad.

On several occasions your irreverent humour has had me genuinely laughing out loud...

Still an erse though :)

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, jonesy said:

What the Konnie giveth with one hand, he taketh with the other. :pray:

:lol:

Konrad von Carstein
17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Won't be laughing once you get your thread ban for personal abuse, Herr von C.

:smugger:

Maple Leaf
19 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Anyone know?

The joystick controls the ailerons (for turning) and the elevators (for climbing and descending), while two pedals on the floor control the rudder (yaw).  The throttle is used for controlling speed, and that's everything covered.  It's not complicated, but having someone shooting at you would certainly add a level of stress.

A Boy Named Crow
14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The joystick controls the ailerons (for turning) and the elevators (for climbing and descending), while two pedals on the floor control the rudder (yaw).  The throttle is used for controlling speed, and that's everything covered.  It's not complicated, but having someone shooting at you would certainly add a level of stress.

Thanks,  now what role does the dog play?

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Moral support for the pilot

Maple Leaf
8 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's there to shag the pilot's leg, of course.

been here before
9 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Map reading and general navigation.

24 minutes ago, been here before said:

Map reading and general navigation.

And the dropping of bombs if the pilot is otherwise engaged, in a phone call for example.

MV5BOWJiZWJkMjUtOWJiOS00M2IzLTlmNWMtZDRlODhmMThkZWNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You could stroke the dog to reduce the stress of having Tom Cruise and Iceman blasting you from behind.

:oohmatron:

4 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Why do you sneeze uncontrollably when you go pluck your nose hair?

Not 100% but would assume it's part of you bodies natural defenses. The irritation caused might be assumed to be a foreign body, so the best course of action is to sneeze it out.

JudyJudyJudy

Saw it loads but never knew what it meant  The term " Biodiversity" 

Dick Dastardly
On 13/05/2022 at 18:18, JamesM48 said:

Saw it loads but never knew what it meant  The term " Biodiversity" 

Does that not just mean lots of different kinds of plants and animals? 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Yep.  Its an odd word. I looked it up after I saw a news item with the hopeless Green MSP Lorna Slater whos role * well one of them  is regarding this too.  

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It means a varied range of flora and fauna over a given habitat. The trouble is os that it's a phrase that's been hijacked by different groups.

It's a phrase I have to deal with on virtually a daily basis, really pisses me off.

Dick Dastardly
21 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It means a varied range of flora and fauna over a given habitat. The trouble is os that it's a phrase that's been hijacked by different groups.

It's a phrase I have to deal with on virtually a daily basis, really pisses me off.

Has it become office speak? In what way is it used? 

Dick Dastardly
41 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep.  Its an odd word. I looked it up after I saw a news item with the hopeless Green MSP Lorna Slater whos role * well one of them  is regarding this too.  

I've just googled her. Some job she has, eh? Minister for green skills?! Wtf?