Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

On 20/04/2022 at 19:43, superjack said:

Me too, also they are the most affectionate animals I know of.

Dogs are good.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 19/04/2022 at 22:01, Captain Slog said:

What is Poutine?

I told a Canadian workmate I'd seen a Canadian restaurant at the top of Leith walk, she visited the same night, and insisted on the next mornings zoom everyone went to and tried it.

I told my Kansian wife, and she demands we book a table and go.  Is Down the hatch, name of the place.

Both insist it has to be the right 'squeaky cheese'.

But when i look it it up it just looks like chips and gravy, and i can get that from Javits or nine dragons.

@Maple Leaf, OR @Sharpie, please educate me, and is this some Canadian national dish like the Aussies have meat floaters, which always sounded like a pie dumped in pe soup to me.

Love Down the Hatch.

Reminds me of a question Billy Connolly said keeps him awake at night. How does the guy who drives the snow plough get to work?

4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Reminds me of a question Billy Connolly said keeps him awake at night. How does the guy who drives the snow plough get to work?

In my neck of the woods the snowplough/gritter combo stays at the driver's house for a good chunk of the year.

Dick Dastardly

If you stuck one end of a hose in the sea and put the other end in space would it sook all the water out? 

A Boy Named Crow
20 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If you stuck one end of a hose in the sea and put the other end in space would it sook all the water out? 

I dont know, but bugger me, that's a belter!!!

31 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Ski yogurts, what happened to them? Not seen them for years.

tesco and morrisons have them available on their websites

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If you are thinking the vaccum of outer space  would suck the water up the hose, I don't think it would. A vaccum doesn't suck, which is why our atmosphere doesn't need a container to keep it attached to the planet. If it was capilliary motion, I don't think that would resist gravity enough. Also, as the air pressure thins around the hose, our water would start to turn into a gas and boil off.

I think the idea that vaccums suck is either due to vaccum cleaners or the fact to create a vaccum chamber on earth, we suck all the air out using a compressor. 

I thought about this another way to see if it could still work if we created a gigantic syphon. Assuming our gigantic straw/hose wasn't too long that the air pressure needed to displace the water wasn't too low (unfortunately it equalises at about 10 metres), could we use gravity to get the water moving and then once the hose was  out of  the atmosphere, let the water boil off in the vaccum of space.?

But I don't think we would ever be able to create a situation where the syphon is lower than sea level (could maybe do this on some terrain on the planet surface, ie a lake sitting well above sea level) because gravity is always a force with a vector towards the centre of the earth. So as soon as you go even perpendicular through the atmosphere to reach outer space,  you are working against gravity. 

That said, if you could make a hose large enough to reach Jupiters gravity, maybe that would create a strong enough syphon? Very interesting thought experiment, I could be way off with these musings. 

Edited by Gizmo

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

If you are thinking the vaccum of outer space  would suck the water up the hose, I don't think it would. A vaccum doesn't suck, which is why our atmosphere doesn't need a container to keep it attached to the planet. If it was capilliary motion, I don't think that would resist gravity enough. Also, as the air pressure thins around the hose, our water would start to turn into a gas and boil off.

I think the idea that vaccums suck is either due to vaccum cleaners or the fact to create a vaccum chamber on earth, we suck all the air out using a compressor. 

I thought about this another way to see if it could still work if we created a gigantic syphon. Assuming our gigantic straw/hose wasn't too long that the air pressure needed to displace the water wasn't too low (unfortunately it equalises at about 10 metres), could we use gravity to get the water moving and then once the hose was  out of  the atmosphere, let the water boil off in the vaccum of space.?

But I don't think we would ever be able to create a situation where the syphon is lower than sea level (could maybe do this one some terrain on the planet surface, ie a lake sitting well above sea level) because gravity is always a force with a vector towards the centre of the earth. So as soon as you go even perpendicular through the atmosphere to reach outer space,  you are working against gravity. 

That said, if you could make a hose large enough to reach Jupiters gravity, maybe that would create a strong enough syphon? Very interesting thought experiment, I could be way off with these musings. 

Just to add meat to the bones, vacuum cleaners work by expelling air and creating a vacuum.

As you say, this doesn't suck air in, what's actually happening is the weight of the atmosphere pushes air in to the newly created area of low pressure.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

But I don't think we would ever be able to create a situation where the syphon is lower than sea level (could maybe do this on some terrain on the planet surface, ie a lake sitting well above sea level) because gravity is always a force with a vector towards the centre of the earth. So as soon as you go even perpendicular through the atmosphere to reach outer space,  you are working against gravity. 

I was thinking more along the lines of seeing people getting sucked out of spaceships when airlocks open in films. 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Just to add meat to the bones, vacuum cleaners work by expelling air and creating a vacuum.

As you say, this doesn't suck air in, what's actually happening is the weight of the atmosphere pushes air in to the newly created area of low pressure.

This has baffled me. I need to lie down now. 

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Easiest way to visualise this in practice is if you have one of the modern water bottles. That will have a drinking spout and also you should see a separate small valve/opening on the lid.

Cover that valve and try and suck out the liquid and you won't be able to, the air has to get in and displace the liquid you are removing. 

Dick Dastardly
6 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Easiest way to visualise this in practice is if you have one of the modern water bottles. That will have a drinking spout and also you should see a separate small valve/opening on the lid.

Cover that valve and try and suck out the liquid and you won't be able to, the air has to get in and displace the liquid you are removing. 

So you're saying we need two hoses? 

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If you've seen backdraft it's the same thing, when a fire burns it eats oxygen in the air, making the air inside less dense and therefore lower pressure.

When an outside door's opened, air rushes into the area of low pressure, feeding the fire and Whoosh!

So you're saying we need two hoses? 

Not for syphoning out of a lake or a fish tank, only for a sealed container. 

Short video might explain better than I am: 

22 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Me too. I was thinking it would depend whether the hose went 'up' from Greenland or 'down' from Antarctica. 😝

Jambo_jim2001
4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

WOW😳😳 sorry mate,you really need to get out more often. A+ answer btw😎👍👍❤️

Jambo_jim2001
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

If you've seen backdraft it's the same thing, when a fire burns it eats oxygen in the air, making the air inside less dense and therefore lower pressure.

When an outside door's opened, air rushes into the area of low pressure, feeding the fire and Whoosh!

No eyebrows 😂

21 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

WOW😳😳 sorry mate,you really need to get out more often. A+ answer btw😎👍👍❤️

Haha, cheers. I do have a life, honest. Didn't learn much from science subjects at school so have made an effort to understand some physics, especially related to space exploration. 

Jambo_jim2001
3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Haha, cheers. I do have a life, honest. Didn't learn much from science subjects at school so have made an effort to understand some physics, especially related to space exploration. 

What I learned at school,. If it crawls= biology....if it blows up= chemistry....if it doesn't work= physics 😳👍👍

On 23/04/2022 at 18:38, Boof said:

What do the coloured boxes mean on MLB Gameday coverage?

image.png.6430393149a8421884ee96588752ed91.png

Don't quote me because I'm only surmising, but I think it has something to do with the batter's hitting ability on pitches in the strike zone.  The red areas indicate that he hits pitches well in those areas, blue that he hits poorly in those areas.  Grey is maybe average?

The whole thing is TMI for me.

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Don't quote me...

Oops...

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

...because I'm only surmising, but I think it has something to do with the batter's hitting ability on pitches in the strike zone.  The red areas indicate that he hits pitches well in those areas, blue that he hits poorly in those areas.  Grey is maybe average?

The whole thing is TMI for me.

Yes, it's all very scientific...or at least data-crunchingly heavy.

I was reading something last night about the throwing ability of a human and will put it on here but don't want to try and quote it or I'll mis-remember something.

Your explanation makes sense though: red = batter's hot zone, blue = cold?

Or red = danger (for the pitcher).

Dick Dastardly
21 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Not for syphoning out of a lake or a fish tank, only for a sealed container. 

Short video might explain better than I am: 

But would the earth not be classed as a sealed container? I'm confusing myself now

Dick Dastardly
21 hours ago, Alex said:

Me too. I was thinking it would depend whether the hose went 'up' from Greenland or 'down' from Antarctica. 😝

You mean the earth isn't flat? 

Dick Dastardly
22 hours ago, Smithee said:

I understand that, but now I'm even more confused. Sciencey stuff was never my strong point

But would the earth not be classed as a sealed container? I'm confusing myself now

No. Not sure what would lead you to think that - we can literally launch rockets and satellites into space. 

You're not a flattard, btw, as that sounds suspiciously like the dome argument or the denial of gravity for some daft "buoyancy" theory and insist that the vaccum of space would suck away our atmosphere. 

Which is preposterously wrong since here we are, breathing away quite happily ;)

Unknown user
Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

I understand that, but now I'm even more confused. Sciencey stuff was never my strong point

Me neither, that's probably why I love it all now. I watch a lot of things on YouTube like Smarter Every Day, Veritasium, Steve Mould. The last one's especially good, he's on a mission to show things in a way you can visualise, I highly recommend him.

Dick Dastardly
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

No. Not sure what would lead you to think that - we can literally launch rockets and satellites into space. 

You're not a flattard, btw, as that sounds suspiciously like the dome argument or the denial of gravity for some daft "buoyancy" theory and insist that the vaccum of space would suck away our atmosphere. 

Which is preposterously wrong since here we are, breathing away quite happily ;)

No, definitely not a flat earther! Is the earth not a closed system though, as matter doesn't leave due to gravity? Would that not give it a similarity to a sealed container? 

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Me neither, that's probably why I love it all now. I watch a lot of things on YouTube like Smarter Every Day, Veritasium, Steve Mould. The last one's especially good, he's on a mission to show things in a way you can visualise, I highly recommend him.

I'll give him a watch when my attention span is up to it. I quite like Sciman Dan. He has regular arguments with the flat earth community, which is always fun

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

No, definitely not a flat earther! Is the earth not a closed system though, as matter doesn't leave due to gravity? Would that not give it a similarity to a sealed container? 

That's actually an interesting point, but we do lose some of our atmosphere (the thinnest part actually reaches the moon) to solar winds whipping it away. But not enough that we don't replace it from plankton, algae and plants/trees replacing what we lose. 

I think it's considered mostly closed, in that we get some stuff from outer space (meteors really) and lose those hydrogen atoms but mostly as you state, gravity makes us a pretty much closed system, which I misinterpreted when I thought you might be about to chuck the dome theory in! Apols for that. 

If you enjoy science stuff, my favouriter practical science guy on utube is The Action Lab as he actually tests theories and ideas.

If you want your mind blown (like mine was) on quantum mechanics etc, Arvin Ash is absolutely has the best explanations for laypersons on youtube. His explanation of particle/wave duality was the first time it has ever really made sense. 

Sci-man Dan  is amusing when he rips the flat earthers. Have you watched Beyond The Curve on Netflix? It's brilliant, producers just point cameras at a bunch of flat earthers and let them do the rest, with predictable results.

Dick Dastardly
16 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

That's actually an interesting point, but we do lose some of our atmosphere (the thinnest part actually reaches the moon) to solar winds whipping it away. But not enough that we don't replace it from plankton, algae and plants/trees replacing what we lose. 

I think it's considered mostly closed, in that we get some stuff from outer space (meteors really) and lose those hydrogen atoms but mostly as you state, gravity makes us a pretty much closed system, which I misinterpreted when I thought you might be about to chuck the dome theory in! Apols for that. 

If you enjoy science stuff, my favouriter practical science guy on utube is The Action Lab as he actually tests theories and ideas.

If you want your mind blown (like mine was) on quantum mechanics etc, Arvin Ash is absolutely has the best explanations for laypersons on youtube. His explanation of particle/wave duality was the first time it has ever really made sense. 

Sci-man Dan  is amusing when he rips the flat earthers. Have you watched Beyond The Curve on Netflix? It's brilliant, producers just point cameras at a bunch of flat earthers and let them do the rest, with predictable results.

I did reply to this but not sure where it went?! Must have been sucked out of kickback through a hose or something... 

I'll have a look for Arvin Ash but as i don't have netflix i doubt I'll be able to watch Beypnd the Curve

I used to work with a flat earther. Such a strange lassie. 

9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Your signature reminds me of Kickback II days in 2005/2006. Everyone with flashing GIFs and neon usernames with Hearts players and badges.

20 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Your signature reminds me of Kickback II days in 2005/2006. Everyone with flashing GIFs and neon usernames with Hearts players and badges.

I could make it even more old skool like something from the MySpace or geocities days, and add a cat of course. 

Needs an update though since we have some new recent Scottish Cup scorers against the leith filth!   

All roads lead to Gorgie

Does the USA have an equivalent of the AA/RAC. I like watching a lot of live dash cam footage on YouTube like big rig and storm chasers but never see any breakdown vehicles at the roadside!

9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Does the USA have an equivalent of the AA/RAC. I like watching a lot of live dash cam footage on YouTube like big rig and storm chasers but never see any breakdown vehicles at the roadside!

triple a from my viewing of amreican tv shows and films

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

See the source image

All roads lead to Gorgie
11 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Cheers.

Samuel Camazzola

When engineers prop up one of the temporary 'speed limit' signs by a road, does this legally alter the speed limit for the duration it is present? Could someone be penalised if they were caught exceeding that limit or does it have no legal standing? 

Just now, jonesy said:

It's a quick way of letting other drivers know how thick they are likely to be in other contexts.

I concur.

All roads lead to Gorgie
26 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Why do people sit in the middle lane of the motorway?????

Probably because if you move into the nearside lane you get boxed in and can't get out again and you end up watching Alfred and Joyce and their caravan slowly pass you again after you sailed passed them earlier 😄

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

When engineers prop up one of the temporary 'speed limit' signs by a road, does this legally alter the speed limit for the duration it is present? Could someone be penalised if they were caught exceeding that limit or does it have no legal standing? 

I don't drive, so don't get points on your licence because of this,  but I heard before that temporary traffic lights are only advisory, good chance temporary speed limit signs are too. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I don't drive, so don't get points on your licence because of this,  but I heard before that temporary traffic lights are only advisory, good chance temporary speed limit signs are too. 

That's my understanding too, but with the addition that you could be done for dangerous driving if you ignore them.

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Why do people sit in the middle lane of the motorway?????

They fell out of their car?

A Boy Named Crow
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That's my understanding too, but with the addition that you could be done for dangerous driving if you ignore them.

Aye, if you barrel through a temporary red light and hit an oncoming car, I'm pretty sure that'd be on you. 

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

No. For example, there are temporary speed limits on the A90 from Dundee to Aberdeen. There are also 'average speed cameras' too. If you went through those at 70mph, when the temporary speed was 50mph you would not get clocked. Would be absolute carnage if they tried to enforce it, so 'speed camera's' are kept the same all the time.