Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Maybe they're frightened that they'll not wake up. 

5.30am? Feck that. 

I've still not been to sleep from yesterday. 

😂. 8pm I went to bed last night but if I had stayed up till 1am I’d still have woken up early

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

😂. 8pm I went to bed last night but if I had stayed up till 1am I’d still have woken up early

8pm!?

I thought i was depressed. 

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

8pm!?

I thought i was depressed. 

😂 it’s staying up and watching the drivel on the telly that makes you depressed. Great sleep I had last night. Raring to go this morning but absolutely **** all to do lol

Edited by GinRummy

Has anyone ever heard the phrase 'coming the ham', meaning someone is 'taking the piss' or they're 'at it'?  It's something my dad, from Galloway, used to say and my wife, from Edinburgh, says she's heard it too. 

Google is no help, and I'm starting to wonder if my dad made it up, and my wife's only heard me say it. :D 

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Has anyone ever heard the phrase 'coming the ham', meaning someone is 'taking the piss' or they're 'at it'?  It's something my dad, from Galloway, used to say and my wife, from Edinburgh, says she's heard it too. 

Google is no help, and I'm starting to wonder if my dad made it up, and my wife's only heard me say it. :D 

I've heard it before, not often and not in years though. 

16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Yes. 

Konrad von Carstein
40 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

"At the ham" was the version I heard used by Grandparents & my mum and dad as a bairn 

44 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

"At the ham" was the version I heard used by Grandparents & my mum and dad as a bairn 

At the ham, I've heard of. But not coming the ham. 

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

An actor, especially a bad actor, can be called  a ham.

Seems it comes from here

ham actor.

The word Ham to mean an "overacting inferior performer," apparently dates from about 1882 and orignates from American English. Originally the word was hamfatter, meaning "actor of low grade," and has been linked to an old minstrel show song, "The Ham-fat Man" which dates from about 1863.
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/167630/why-is-an-actor-sometimes-called-ham

6 minutes ago, RobboM said:

An actor, especially a bad actor, can be called  a ham.

Seems it comes from here

ham actor.

The word Ham to mean an "overacting inferior performer," apparently dates from about 1882 and orignates from American English. Originally the word was hamfatter, meaning "actor of low grade," and has been linked to an old minstrel show song, "The Ham-fat Man" which dates from about 1863.
https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/167630/why-is-an-actor-sometimes-called-ham

Also if an actor overacts in a scene the other actors will say they were hamming it up. 

Thanks guys. At least I now know it wasn't a made up thing.  The reason I was asking was that my wife used it at work and nobody there had heard it before.  I did wonder if it was connected to the 'ham actor' thing.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Why do bagels have holes in the middle?

Think it's something to do with the surface area or something, the dough is so thick that the middle doesn't cook the same so they just do away with that bit... can't be arsed looking either so will go with that 🙂 

Just now, jonesy said:

If I'd really wanted to know, I would have googled it.

What I needed was confirmation from JKB (in this case, Dawn duly delivered) that someone, within a minute of me posting, would posit the suggestion that it's their for jabbing yer dongle in. 

:D Sorry, that never even crossed my mind because mine wouldn't fit.

52 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Why do bagels have holes in the middle?

If you eat the bagel, where does the hole go?

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

One of my sons - going through a fussy phase - rejected a breakfast bagel once, because 'it looks too big'. I took it away and gave him an empty plate. Told him he just had to eat the middle part of it, and so he was a wee bit hungry that day. He hasn't complained about bagels since.

:thumb:

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Why did all those working class folk vote Tory in the last GE. Wonder how that's working out for them..

Good point. 
Why do women fall for Boris Johnson 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🙈?

Why do planes have such tiny windows? Quite low down too, so that if you're over 6 foot, you have to nearly break your neck to get a decent look outside.

How come back in the 1950's and stuff, Americans spoke so much more formally and (some) even sounded almost British when they spoke? But now they all sound so different.

On 28/10/2020 at 16:19, Maple Leaf said:

If you eat the bagel, where does the hole go?

The hole goes Into your mouth too, unless you carefully nibble the bagel around the hole without taking chunks out of it. If you do nibble the bagel carefully, then the hole just stays where the bagel used to be. For a little while anyway, because the hole is very light and can be moved around by the slightest of breezes.

In some parts of New York the bagel hole concentration in any square metre is very high indeed!

Edited by redjambo

Did Petrocelli ever finish his house he was building ? 

How does Gibbs in NCIS plan to get the boat he’s building in his basement out the house 

what was the final outcomes in Ashes to Ashes , Life on Mars 

8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Well, apparently "Major Tom was a junkie" and no one is living there just now.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Well, apparently "Major Tom was a junkie" and no one is living there just now.

How do we really know no one is living there tho ? Maybe the Martians have sent us a gift in the form of a virus 😛

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

How do we really know no one is living there tho ? Maybe the Martians have sent us a gift in the form of a virus 😛

.........you could right.

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Did Jesus really exist? and if so why is he apparently related to god? who i know for sure doesn't exist. 

8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Did Petrocelli ever finish his house he was building ? 

How does Gibbs in NCIS plan to get the boat he’s building in his basement out the house 

Iirc they covered it in an episode and it was he takes the wall down to get them out then puts it back up

33 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

.........you could right.

That thought came from hearing a snippet of war of the worlds on the radio 😂

just waiting on the Petrocelli bungalow now 

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Iirc they covered it in an episode and it was he takes the wall down to get them out then puts it back up

👍🏻👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...

Why do football players wear their socks above their knees . Are they getting support in the knee joint , does it keep them warm or is it just a stupid look that players feel it makes them look good ? 

been here before
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Why do football players wear their socks above their knees . Are they getting support in the knee joint , does it keep them warm or is it just a stupid look that players feel it makes them look good ? 

The latter.

On 01/11/2020 at 17:47, Locky said:

Why do planes have such tiny windows? Quite low down too, so that if you're over 6 foot, you have to nearly break your neck to get a decent look outside.

How come back in the 1950's and stuff, Americans spoke so much more formally and (some) even sounded almost British when they spoke? But now they all sound so different.

The windows thing is because they’re a weak spot in the fuselage - because of air pressure differences the aeroplane bulges at 35000 feet.  Ideally they wouldn’t have windows but for safety (on the ground) they do (ie you can see if there’s a fire outside and firefighters can see if there’s a fire inside) That’s why you have to raise the blind before landing (and they dim the lights so your eyes are attuned you the dark)

The accent thing was a fashion, I believe.  Maybe because a lot of Hollywood stars of the time were British a ‘transatlantic’ accent developed.  (Parodied by Stewie Griffin!)

On 03/11/2020 at 16:09, Greedy Jambo said:

Did Jesus really exist? and if so why is apparently related to god? who i know for sure doesn't exist. 

wrt your first question, it depends on who you ask.

wrt your second question, go to Google and search for The Trinity, and all will be explained.

If you’re lying on your stomach or side, why do your toes point down in an unnatural position so comfortably and it feel like you’re straining the muscle by having your feet at a 90 degree ankle?

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

The windows thing is because they’re a weak spot in the fuselage - because of air pressure differences the aeroplane bulges at 35000 feet.  Ideally they wouldn’t have windows but for safety (on the ground) they do (ie you can see if there’s a fire outside and firefighters can see if there’s a fire inside) That’s why you have to raise the blind before landing (and they dim the lights so your eyes are attuned you the dark)

The accent thing was a fashion, I believe.  Maybe because a lot of Hollywood stars of the time were British a ‘transatlantic’ accent developed.  (Parodied by Stewie Griffin!)

Cheers FWJ. Think I was pished when I thought of them. :lol:

Why when describing species of fish do you use the singular but with anything else like birds or mammals you use plural?

For example

I caught to Perch today.

I have 3 salmon in the freezer.

Out walking today I spotted 2 owls.

I photographed 3 dolphins playing in the sea.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Why when describing species of fish do you use the singular but with anything else like birds or mammals you use plural?

For example

I caught to Perch today.

Funny that. Using Shetland names for some fish they are pluralised - olicks, piltocks, sillocks - but in English they're just varying stages of the life cycle of the saithe "saithe and the young of the saithe known as sillocks (fish up to one year old, 6 to 8 inches) and piltocks (fish up to two years old, 8 to 15 inches)"

I suppose you'd pluralise sardines, anchovies but in general I'd say you're on to something there...

For example

I caught to Perch today.

Fish is plural.

For example

I caught to Perch today.

Sardine/sardines

Sheep/sheep.

5 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

For example

I caught to Perch today.

Which of those fishes will you be having for your tea?

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, but is salmon plural?  Or cod?  etc.

This is why I’m confused.

No one has managed to convince me with a definitive answer.

To further muddy the waters.

Deer is plural in the same was as fish is plural. In other words you don’t say deers.

Take the species of deer. Fallow, Red etc.

I have a couple of Muntjacs in the larder I shot the other day. I have a couple of Reds as well.

You pluralise the species even though Deer is plural.

Not with fish.

So confused.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, but is salmon plural?  Or cod?  etc.

I wouldn't mind a plural cod supper, usually get too many chips and no enough fish.