Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Dawnrazor
3 hours ago, Boof said:

I can confirm that birds can - and do - end up down chimneys. Don't know how, but they do!

Jackdaws in particular like to build nest in chimneys, they'll drop twigs and sticks down to build a base then nest on the top, I've seen 30 or 40 bags worth of debris come out of chimneys caused bt Jackdaws.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dawnrazor
1 hour ago, superjack said:

Possibly down to a lack of ventilation in the room then. With us, the flue is lower than the main roof so just don't get enough flow of air when it's a north east.

The problem in our house was that when it was renovated and the stove put in, the builder only put in a short, 1 ft, lenghth of liner from the stove back into the chimney, the chimney itself is about 2.5 feet across, so the pressure differential was too great and the smoke and fumes always came back into the room, this is according to the fire and heating engineer that was sorting the job untill covid, the stove was a cheap "Tiger" unit, cheap shite, it's been replaced a "Dunsley" a much better stove, a liner will be fitted to the stove and will go right to the cowl, this should sort the problem by a huge percentage. Having a stove at the hight where we live and hiw exposed it is means there will always be some blowback but that's part and parcel of stoves. 

37 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Maybe carbon monoxide poisoning?

Unused chimney! Really should get it closed off...

Worthing Jambo
19 minutes ago, Boof said:

Unused chimney! Really should get it closed off...

Vertigo then?

6 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Vertigo then?

Vertigo? The Birds? Psycho!

11 minutes ago, Boof said:

Why aren't dogs' oxters tickly?

Mine aren't, does that make me a dog?

Could explain why I feel ruff today.

There's a tree near my house which gets loads, and I mean loads, of slug/snail trails on it, but I've never seen any of them on the tree, or nearby. They seem to be ignoring other trees around. Is there a type of tree slugs or snails like?

I don't actually know what kind of tree it is, but will have a look when I pass it later.

14 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There's a tree near my house which gets loads, and I mean loads, of slug/snail trails on it, but I've never seen any of them on the tree, or nearby. They seem to be ignoring other trees around. Is there a type of tree slugs or snails like?

I don't actually know what kind of tree it is, but will have a look when I pass it later.

They tend to come out at night, possibly why you're not seeing them. Loads of the wee feckers miraculously appear on my back doorstep at night.

They don't like salt. 😁

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

They tend to come out at night, possibly why you're not seeing them. Loads of the wee feckers miraculously appear on my back doorstep at night.

They don't like salt. 😁

It's just this one tree I'm seeing the trails on though, a Plane tree, and none of the other Plane trees nearby have any noticeable amount of trails. It's almost if they're having a snail party up the tree.

It's far enough away from my house for me not to wish them any harm.

On 06/05/2020 at 11:55, Boof said:

I can confirm that birds can - and do - end up down chimneys. Don't know how, but they do!

They nest in the chimney flues. I've done a few loft cut outs in my time, because the nest is so big, the ball and brush or Rods won't shift them.

If your chimney isn't in use, put an end cap(Mushroom/Elephants foot) on it, or if it's gas, a GC2. The spinners are a pain in the arse to fit. But they all keep the birds and Heavy rain out.

My advice to anyone with a chimney, that is not in use. Have it take away and tiled/slated in. It is expensive, but the maintenance over the years will cost you a quite a few bob more, as a chimney head is just a constant rain leak in Scotland.

Edited by ri Alban

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is Josef Fritzl still alive? 

Had to Google it, but aye, seems to be. According to Wikipedia he's still married too! I'd have thought his habits would put a strain on any relationship. 

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Tommy Brown
On 20/05/2020 at 23:38, graygo said:

They don't like salt. 😁

Yip to the salt.

Went through a spell last year with slug trails on the door mat and lino, just inside the back door.

Only seen seen a couple, but was happening almost every morning.

Salt on the doorstep stopped it.

Ehllhayapeh

Who first had the idea to squeeze a cows udder, long enough so white liquid came out

then drink it?

On the face of it the first people to investigate milk were a bit strange.

24 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Who first had the idea to squeeze a cows udder, long enough so white liquid came out

then drink it?

Handy though, if we’d not noticed then we’d all have been bottle fed. 

1 hour ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

then drink it?

Not as strange as the first person to see an oyster and think, 'here, I'm having some of that.'

6 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Not as strange as the first person to see an oyster and think, 'here, I'm having some of that.'

Or an egg.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Had to Google it, but aye, seems to be. According to Wikipedia he's still married too! I'd have thought his habits would put a strain on any relationship. 

👍 

Funnily enough, I read an article about Hibs winning the cup and I wondered if he was around to see it. 😂 I have him down as one of them. 

Unknown user
On 29/04/2020 at 14:04, highlandjambo3 said:

I have a national sports boat licence I got through the army........used to fly around the havel in Berlin on rigid raider boats with a 140hp engine.....super fast and great fun.

Bloody hell

On 20/05/2020 at 23:49, Lemongrab said:

It's just this one tree I'm seeing the trails on though, a Plane tree, and none of the other Plane trees nearby have any noticeable amount of trails. It's almost if they're having a snail party up the tree.

It's far enough away from my house for me not to wish them any harm.

They only like smoother surfaces so could be that the bark on the other trees is too rough compared to the one you’re seeing them on. I have slug problem each year out the back on my slabs, whereas the neighbour, who has chips, doesn’t get any.

Ehllhayapeh
5 hours ago, superjack said:

Or an egg.

This is true

Oh look an embryo of an unborn chicken...lets crack that open and cook it

Although i still think interfering physically with an animal then drinking its excretion when youve no clue what it is isnt 

Logical either.

Edited by Ehllhayapeh

21 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

This is true

Oh look an embryo of an unborn chicken...lets crack that open and cook it

Although i still think interfering physically with an animal then drinking its excretion when youve no clue what it is isnt 

Logical either.

It's not a massive leap in logic to be fair. 

"Milk comes from human nipples. Probably a good chance milk comes from cow nipples. Human milk doesn't kill you. **** it, let's give it a bash." 

4 hours ago, jambo89 said:

They only like smoother surfaces so could be that the bark on the other trees is too rough compared to the one you’re seeing them on. I have slug problem each year out the back on my slabs, whereas the neighbour, who has chips, doesn’t get any.

Oh, it could be that. Further investigation is called for. 🕵️‍♂️

4 hours ago, FWJ said:

If Fine Gael finished 3rd in the Irish election why is Leo Varadkar still Teaoseach?

He's acting as caretaker Taoiseach until a successor is appointed.

Rick James

If I can't attend a match as a season ticket holder, and tell the club to release my seat for said game, how can the club sell that seat again?

Just find it weird that you can effectively sell the same product twice? :lol:

40 minutes ago, Locky said:

If I can't attend a match as a season ticket holder, and tell the club to release my seat for said game, how can the club sell that seat again?

i would assume it is like you have given permission to the club to sell your seat after giving up to any money for it. thus they can sell it for money

47 minutes ago, Locky said:

If the person who bought the ticket decided to hand it back to the club, they could even sell it 3 times. Then if....nah, better stop there it's too mind blowing. 😁

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

If the person who bought the ticket decided to hand it back to the club, they could even sell it 3 times. Then if....nah, better stop there it's too mind blowing. 😁

that is the airline trick of overselling seats on flights

Rick James
11 hours ago, milky_26 said:

i would assume it is like you have given permission to the club to sell your seat after giving up to any money for it. thus they can sell it for money

Obviously I don't disagree with it or anything, I just thought for audit purposes it was a grey area. Theoretically we could sell more than is capacity for games thus make more money. If the club hit the skids again, everyone should hand their seat back then just purchase it again. :lol:

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Obviously I don't disagree with it or anything, I just thought for audit purposes it was a grey area. Theoretically we could sell more than is capacity for games thus make more money. If the club hit the skids again, everyone should hand their seat back then just purchase it again. :lol:

One for the accountants, but would VAT be chargeable on every time a seat is purchased? Could there be a more Hearts-friendly mechanism (aka VAT-avoiding) available?

What is 'match fitness' in football? And why is it impossible for footballers, even with the level of sports science available nowadays, to get match fit without playing competitive games?

Sort of related but Ive just noticed that in "Bram Stoker's Dracula" Anthony Hopkins plays two parts😳 we've seen it loads of times too.

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

What is 'match fitness' in football? And why is it impossible for footballers, even with the level of sports science available nowadays, to get match fit without playing competitive games?

Yeah.. thats a good one.  And why do managers say after a game when a player returning from injury  has played the full 90 minutes "He did ok, but he'll take a wee while to get match fit" .     How many games are needed to get "match fit"  ? And if you keep getting injured before you're "match fit",  are you perpetually "match unfit" ?

Edited by Lone Striker

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely against the ethos and title of the thread but there's something I've wondered for the past day or so and I could be bothered to find out.

As I found it mildly interesting i thought I'd share it with you - maybe it was so obvious it never needed thinking about?

Anyway - when auld Liz pops her clogs QCs will become KCs.

Couldn't find any mention of the Sunshine Band, though. Nana nana nanana nana naaaaa

4 hours ago, Boof said:

Absolutely against the ethos and title of the thread but there's something I've wondered for the past day or so and I could be bothered to find out.

As I found it mildly interesting i thought I'd share it with you - maybe it was so obvious it never needed thinking about?

Couldn't find any mention of the Sunshine Band, though. Nana nana nanana nana naaaaa

Were you drinking that cheap sherry?  I can't, for the life of me, remember what it's called.

8 hours ago, Boof said:

A new set of lyrics for the national anthem as well. 

Edited by Tazio

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A new set of lyrics for the national anthem as well. 

Or just re-release the old ones :D 

Just wait until we have an intersex monarch - that'll put a few noses out of joint.

49 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Before the Cillit Bang adverts, was Barry Scott ever famous?

Barry Scott is a character played by an actor, so probably not.

been here before
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Before the Cillit Bang adverts, was Barry Scott ever famous?

49 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Barry Scott is a character played by an actor, so probably not.

There have been numerous Barry Scotts.

No idea how many though but this could well be the thread to find that out.

Edited by been here before

Weakened Offender
On 29/05/2020 at 21:42, Locky said:

Aren't you donating it to them? 

Why is it that we have no memories of our early years?  I have one memory of an incident when I was three years old but none before that.  And none after that until I was five years old.

There must be a reason.

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why is it that we have no memories of our early years?  I have one memory of an incident when I was three years old but none before that.  And none after that until I was five years old.

There must be a reason.

Drink?

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Drink?

Of course.  Why did I overlook the obvious?