Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just now, graygo said:

Then we need additional assistants to look along the lines that run from the bye line.

(not serious)

Wouldn't it be easier to have assistants strung over the pitch on wires looking downwards at play as it goes on?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Wouldn't it be easier to have assistants strung over the pitch on wires looking downwards at play as it goes on?

That’ll make it more difficult to fill in the corners though. Unless we get the assistants sky hooks too. 

14 minutes ago, gjcc said:

That’ll make it more difficult to fill in the corners though. Unless we get the assistants sky hooks too. 

And use tartan paint for the lines. You're onto a winner!

5 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

When did PMs become DMs on here? And what does DM stand for?

Not sure of when it changed. 

Depends who’s sending it. 
For most it will be Direct Message. A few it will be a d**k message. 

If a rail operator puts on a replacement bus service, does this cost the same as the train would have?

Why is there so many roadworks at this time of year EVERY year. I know its budget related but surely by now someone would have been able to phase. Its every year so can't be just weather related. 

20 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

If a rail operator puts on a replacement bus service, does this cost the same as the train would have?

For customers? Yes

John Gentleman

When you drop things - teeny wee things - they never end up where you thought they'd be.

17 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Why is there so many roadworks at this time of year EVERY year. I know its budget related but surely by now someone would have been able to phase. Its every year so can't be just weather related. 

It could be a combination of wanting to get the work done before summer (when holidays etc. mean workforce reductions) and the fact that winter ice and salt take a heavy toll on roads.

A little information on the latter in this article:

https://newsblog.drexel.edu/2017/01/26/qa-how-do-winters-mood-swings-affect-our-roads/

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

And for non-customers?

Wouldn't matter one way or the other.

No idea whether the coach companies providing coaches and a driver at short notice would cost more to the train company than the operating cost of the train + conductor + driver.

Just now, redjambo said:

It could be a combination of wanting to get the work done before summer (when holidays etc. mean workforce reductions) and the fact that winter ice and salt take a heavy toll on roads.

A little information on the latter in this article:

https://newsblog.drexel.edu/2017/01/26/qa-how-do-winters-mood-swings-affect-our-roads/

Makes slightly more sense 

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Wouldn't matter one way or the other.

No idea whether the coach companies providing coaches and a driver at short notice would cost more to the train company than the operating cost of the train + conductor + driver.

I was thinking it would be a rip off, considering how more rail travel costs to bus travel, but when you take those things into account, maybe not so much.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have noticed all those test ditches in the fields beside Old Turnhouse Road for a while now and today also noticed they were digging them over to where the houses start at Cammo. Is this whole area due to be developed or is there another reason for the ditches appearing?

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have noticed all those test ditches in the fields beside Old Turnhouse Road for a while now and today also noticed they were digging them over to where the houses start at Cammo. Is this whole area due to be developed or is there another reason for the ditches appearing?

Cant be arsed looking into great detail on this but it seems that whole area has been purchased by a developer. (The bits in blue). 

Pretty sure I recall folk having a bit of a grump about developments in this area. 00A86345-6B4B-45C9-A347-5E285D0513B8.thumb.jpeg.fd6f3802c4f577541e1a4efb073ea23e.jpeg

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Cant be arsed looking into great detail on this but it seems that whole area has been purchased by a developer. (The bits in blue). 

Pretty sure I recall folk having a bit of a grump about developments in this area. 00A86345-6B4B-45C9-A347-5E285D0513B8.thumb.jpeg.fd6f3802c4f577541e1a4efb073ea23e.jpeg

Thanks. That covers the area right enough. Maybe warehousing nearest the airport and housing elsewhere. Better losing greenbelt land there I suppose as most of it is just open fields with little else going for it and then you have the airport cargo area at end of the road anyway!

4 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Thanks. That covers the area right enough. Maybe warehousing nearest the airport and housing elsewhere. Better losing greenbelt land there I suppose as most of it is just open fields with little else going for it and then you have the airport cargo area at end of the road anyway!

Was that not the area David Murray wanted to develop years ago. Not sure.

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 hours ago, obua said:

Was that not the area David Murray wanted to develop years ago. Not sure.

No that was the area between the bypass and the airport surrounding where the RBS headquarters are right now. 

This must be a different developer on the site north of the old runway. 

I P Knightley
On 10/03/2020 at 19:07, LeftBack said:

Budget dumping. 

The council works to a march year end. If they don't spend all of this year's budget, they won't get the same amount to spend next year. 

Terribly wasteful. 

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

How come Paddy McGuinness was ever asked to do any shows on TV? 

He's truly awful. 

Because he's Peter Kay's mate. 

7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

How come Paddy McGuinness was ever asked to do any shows on TV? 

He's truly awful. 

I actually quite like him, find him to be an ok presenter, quite funny and likeable.

i think the current line up on top gear is great with him and Freddie.

15 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Budget dumping. 

The council works to a march year end. If they don't spend all of this year's budget, they won't get the same amount to spend next year. 

Terribly wasteful. 

But as i was saying, surely someone would have realised this years ago... Every February the roadworks begin.... 

I P Knightley
12 hours ago, superjack said:

I actually quite like him, find him to be an ok presenter, quite funny and likeable.

i think the current line up on top gear is great with him and Freddie.

I like the production of Top Gear videos but just cannot stand his inane braying into the camera so usually skip the segments involving him. 

Given that I could tolerate Richard Hammond and Rory Reid, that's really saying something. 

11 hours ago, LeftBack said:

But as i was saying, surely someone would have realised this years ago... Every February the roadworks begin.... 

It would take a will to change at the top of public sector organisations - I think the behaviour is too deep-rooted for anyone to be arsed making the change. Nobody's going to thank them if they do and nobody's going to be significantly critical if they don't. 

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

It would take a will to change at the top of public sector organisations - I think the behaviour is too deep-rooted for anyone to be arsed making the change. Nobody's going to thank them if they do and nobody's going to be significantly critical if they don't. 

It's not just the public sector, every large company is the same, budget holders hold money back in case something unexpected happens and then come a month or two before year end they then spend every penny they can. 

My work (before we got bought over) ran a July to June financial year in part because of this, by doing that it meant we were at least getting more for our money in May/June than we would in Feb/march, for most companies it's IT kit an furniture that are used to clear a budget as you can buy it and the suppliers will just hold it in stock for when you actually want it.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Did we invent mathematics or discover them?

Mathematics were invented, but their invention was used as a means of discovering the underlying reality that they represent.

That do you? ;)

been here before
1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

If you look at yourself two feet way from a mirror, are you looking at yourself two feet away or four feet?

I'd say 4.

9 hours ago, redjambo said:

Mathematics were invented, but their invention was used as a means of discovering the underlying reality that they represent.

That do you? ;)

erm, yeah.I think so. :confused:

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

erm, yeah.I think so. :confused:

It shouldn't - I just made it up off the top of my head. You should get a second opinion. :wink:

12 hours ago, been here before said:

I'd say 4.

Yup. How far the light has to travel to hit you, hit the mirror and rebound back to your eye.

The element of the Poll Tax that was built in to cover the non/part payments, bet there's a few who complied, could do with a refund right now. 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

It shouldn't - I just made it up off the top of my head. You should get a second opinion. :wink:

Interestingly, that makes me feel better! :biggrin2:

On 13/03/2020 at 06:50, Samuel Camazzola said:

Why do rugby sides announce their starting line ups days in advance? 

They know which players blood will be clear of "advanced sports medicines".

Just watching a film earlier on and they were in a submarine at battle stations and as always in these films lights switched right down and red lighting. Why would you bother switching the lights off when you’re in a waterproof and presumably lightproof metal tube?

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Just watching a film earlier on and they were in a submarine at battle stations and as always in these films lights switched right down and red lighting. Why would you bother switching the lights off when you’re in a waterproof and presumably lightproof metal tube?

In the event of something affecting the lighting, the crew's eyes can acclimatise to a loss of light quicker if going from red light to darkness, as opposed to bright light to darkness. You might have noticed that planes dim their lights at take of and landings.  That's for the same reason.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

In the event of something affecting the lighting, the crew's eyes can acclimatise to a loss of light quicker if going from red light to darkness, as opposed to bright light to darkness. You might have noticed that planes dim their lights at take of and landings.  That's for the same reason.

Similarly, soldiers in the field use red torches for map-reading at night because red light isn't as noticeable against a dark background. Or to put it another way, anyone trying to find them would have to be a lot closer than if they were using white light. 

A Boy Named Crow
3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

This makes sense on a plane, but if the lights go out on a sub, they're in a lightproof tube, itd be pitch black inside. I'd have thought mo amount of adjusting to the dark would help, you'd still be blind?

I thought it wasn't to do with seeing if the lights go out because they would have a battery back up systems for lights but for the officer to be able to look out a periscope at night without his eyes having to adjust.  Which would make sense in it happening at "battle stations".  

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/why-is-red-light-used-on-submarines/

The human eye is less sensitive to longer wavelengths, so red light is chosen to preserve the night vision of the crew while still allowing them to still see their instrument panels.

Submarines switch to red light when it’s dark outside and crew members need to use the periscope or go on watch duty.

Edit: Also, from Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/aqnv2/is_the_emergency_lighting_in_real_submarines_red/):There are two halves to a 688 submarine. The Forward and Aft. Aft is where all the machinery is and it is lit up with white florescent lights at all times. There isn't even any red lights back there.

For the Forward part, there are both red and white lights. When submerged, the white lights are on all the time, especially during emergencies and Battlestations. Who wants to deal with low/red lights during an emergency? No one. It'd be one big cluster**** with people running into each other.

The only time the red lights come on is during shallow water or surfaced operations, and even then it is only during the time that the sun is down. Easily enough, it is called "Rig for Red." It is for the whole "not destroying your night vision" thing. (Edit: More specifically, it reduces the time it takes for your eyes to adjust to the dark) That way, the oncoming OOD can go from asleep in his rack to being on watch in Control in complete red light so he can view the periscopes or climb into the bridge and check out the horizon himself.

Edited by redjambo

I P Knightley

I've received his image on countless memes I feel I have more pictures with him on my phone than I do of any member of my family but I don't know his name. 

I'm sure many of you will have seen him too. The heavily built black guy sting with no clothes on, legs apart and a rather large schlong hanging between. He's been sat on the girder with the builders having their sandwiches in New York; he's replaced ET in Elliot's basket and he replaced Mr Stay-Puft in Ghostbusters - among many other appearances. 

Does anyone know his name? 

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I've received his image on countless memes I feel I have more pictures with him on my phone than I do of any member of my family but I don't know his name. 

I'm sure many of you will have seen him too. The heavily built black guy sting with no clothes on, legs apart and a rather large schlong hanging between. He's been sat on the girder with the builders having their sandwiches in New York; he's replaced ET in Elliot's basket and he replaced Mr Stay-Puft in Ghostbusters - among many other appearances. 

Does anyone know his name? 

😂

Have you received the one with Will and Kate doing the live Easter video chats? 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

😂

Have you received the one with Will and Kate doing the live Easter video chats? 

Got that yesterday.

"Can you move it a bit to the left so we can see it?"

45 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Why have  A2153692-48-F8-458-B-A5-C9-29-F7-A508-C4 On the side of a tuna fish tin?  Summat to do nets?

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqBWCSPC/A2153692-48-F8-458-B-A5-C9-29-F7-A508-C452.png

yes, tuna swim at a depth that is under dolphins, dolphin friendly means they get the dolphins that are caught back into the water so they can survive. it used to be that they thought to hell with the dolphins they caught and they let them die

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

yes, tuna swim at a depth that is under dolphins, dolphin friendly means they get the dolphins that are caught back into the water so they can survive. it used to be that they thought to hell with the dolphins they caught and they let them die

Remember it on a can years ago a circle with a line and a picture of a dolphin in the middle and thought WTF