Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

All roads lead to Gorgie
16 hours ago, Ribble said:

Quite a few things affect phone signal, there are something like 6 frequencies of mobile signal used in the UK from 2g,3g and 4g. 2g is best at building penetration but modern phones try to connect to the fastest available so will select a weak 4g signal over a strong 2g one.

Modern building regulations also have an impact with things like foil lined insulation blocking more of the signal.

Only real solution at the moment is that if you are somewhere for any great amount of time is to switch off 3/4g leaving 2g/gsm as your phone signal and then use wifi for data. 

Very good info. I don't use my phone that often when having a break in a cafe or pub anyway but will try to switch to 2g if I do have to. I was always wary of open wifi for security but I think that has been improved and is mainly safe now. A lot of refurbishment is happening around the older areas of the city and the insulation is another factor as you said. Cheers.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does a 2 litre bottle of still Scottish Mountain water in m&s cost 56p and and a 1.5litre bottle of still Scottish Mountain water in m&s cost £1.20...now sitting on train with a muckle big bottle out of principle/meanness

15 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Why does a 2 litre bottle of still Scottish Mountain water in m&s cost 56p and and a 1.5litre bottle of still Scottish Mountain water in m&s cost £1.20...now sitting on train with a muckle big bottle out of principle/meanness

Just be glad they weren't selling a 5ltr one for 40p.

been here before

I asked this yesterday in the Terrace but perhaps this thread might be more suitable...

Now this is perhaps a bit random but it just came to me today after attending live games for 35 or so years...

...why are attendance figures announced during a game?

Unlike other announcements hey have absolutely no bearing on the game itself and arent issued for safety reasons. They have no influence on the mood of the support win, lose or draw and they dont suddenly turn a shite game into a good one or vice versa. They dont really matter.

Do any other sports do this?

Any suggestions?

22 hours ago, LeftBack said:

A 2-litre bottle costs half the price of a 1.5-litre bottle?  Unless that was a special promotion they were running, eg, they were over-stocked on the bigger bottles and needed to get rid of them, that doesn't make sense.

43 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

A 2-litre bottle costs half the price of a 1.5-litre bottle?  Unless that was a special promotion they were running, eg, they were over-stocked on the bigger bottles and needed to get rid of them, that doesn't make sense.

Not just M&S.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Obviously the packaging is different on this one but even at that it's a rip off.

Edited by graygo

23 hours ago, LeftBack said:

A couple of reasons.

Larger bottles have less packaging per litre. Obviously not enough to cause such a large price-per-litre difference in the two sizes.

The real answer is that people only want smaller bottles, so smaller bottles get whacked up in price. It's simple supply and demand economics.

On 18/02/2019 at 15:48, Cade said:

A couple of reasons.

Larger bottles have less packaging per litre. Obviously not enough to cause such a large price-per-litre difference in the two sizes.

The real answer is that people only want smaller bottles, so smaller bottles get whacked up in price. It's simple supply and demand economics.

Correct. It's the convenience you're paying for (and for it to be refrigerated).

But yeah, you'd be amazed at the amount that packaging actually costs. The 'sports cap' adds costs as well. 

It won't be long until everything goes up by 15/20p though with this Deposit Return Scheme they are bringing in. 

On 18/02/2019 at 19:42, been here before said:

I asked this yesterday in the Terrace but perhaps this thread might be more suitable...

Now this is perhaps a bit random but it just came to me today after attending live games for 35 or so years...

...why are attendance figures announced during a game?

Unlike other announcements hey have absolutely no bearing on the game itself and arent issued for safety reasons. They have no influence on the mood of the support win, lose or draw and they dont suddenly turn a shite game into a good one or vice versa. They dont really matter.

Do any other sports do this?

Any suggestions?

Other sports definitely do this.  Cricket and AFL at the SCG announce the crowd.  So do most rugby and rugby league games.  I am sure they announced the attendance when I was at NFL in Dallas and San Francisco too.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Why is there always a little bit of juice left at the bottom of a bottle that is impossible to actually drink?

Likely a simple explanation for this and not sure why I only thought about it tonight.

9 hours ago, Dr. Sheldon Cooper said:

Why is there always a little bit of juice left at the bottom of a bottle that is impossible to actually drink?

Likely a simple explanation for this and not sure why I only thought about it tonight.

Viscosity

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we say “naught” for 0 on the whole number side of a decimal point but “zero” on the fraction side?

eg.  “The winner was naught point zero eight (0.08) seconds faster than the second place”

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

Why do we say “naught” for 0 on the whole number side of a decimal point but “zero” on the fraction side?

eg.  “The winner was naught point zero eight (0.08) seconds faster than the second place”

"We" don't.

What's the point in Daylight Saving Time?  

Twice a year we change our clocks, for no apparent good reason.  Obviously, the number of daylight hours don't change, just the time.  And it's proven that traffic accidents increase the day after the clocks are adjusted, so why do we do it? 

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

What's the point in Daylight Saving Time?  

Twice a year we change our clocks, for no apparent good reason.  Obviously, the number of daylight hours don't change, just the time.  And it's proven that traffic accidents increase the day after the clocks are adjusted, so why do we do it? 

Historically, societies shifted their clocks, so it's not like it's an entirely new concept. One of the ways they did this was by literally changing how long an hour is depending on the season:

For example, the Romans kept time with water clocks that had different scales for different months of the year: at Rome's latitude the third hour from sunrise, hora tertia, started by modern standards at 09:02 solar time and lasted 44 minutes at the winter solstice, but at the summer solstice it started at 06:58 and lasted 75 minutes.

From here. But for the past several centuries we've had fixed lengths for seconds, minutes, and hours. Daylight Saving Time is an attempt to give people more daylight at the end of their day, which is why the clock shifts forward an hour. That's the idea behind it, and the argument is that it also saves energy because people are more active during times of light. However, as you noted, that very well may not be the case at all, and it's looking like the EU Parliament may vote to do away with it entirely very soon.

Why is Lansdowne Road so low at one end, I seem to remember that was a low terrace before the ground was rebuilt as well. Does it back onto people's back gardens or something?

Uche promotes his new deal with a shirt with “2022” printed on the back of it. Countless other clubs and players have done the same in the past...but what happens to those shirts? They serve no purpose afterwards, so where do they end up?

Theyre pointless anyway, and a £40-£50 shirt is ruined for nowt imo...

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Uche promotes his new deal with a shirt with “2022” printed on the back of it. Countless other clubs and players have done the same in the past...but what happens to those shirts? They serve no purpose afterwards, so where do they end up?

Theyre pointless anyway, and a £40-£50 shirt is ruined for nowt imo...

Maybe donated to a charity raffle? I would love to win/own that shirt, and there's a good chance it's my size as well.

13 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Historically, societies shifted their clocks, so it's not like it's an entirely new concept. One of the ways they did this was by literally changing how long an hour is depending on the season:

For example, the Romans kept time with water clocks that had different scales for different months of the year: at Rome's latitude the third hour from sunrise, hora tertia, started by modern standards at 09:02 solar time and lasted 44 minutes at the winter solstice, but at the summer solstice it started at 06:58 and lasted 75 minutes.

From here. But for the past several centuries we've had fixed lengths for seconds, minutes, and hours. Daylight Saving Time is an attempt to give people more daylight at the end of their day, which is why the clock shifts forward an hour. That's the idea behind it, and the argument is that it also saves energy because people are more active during times of light. However, as you noted, that very well may not be the case at all, and it's looking like the EU Parliament may vote to do away with it entirely very soon.

Apparently, it's only been around for about 100 years in the USA, and more and more people are wondering why it's necessary.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/09/opinions/daylight-saving-time-yates/index.html

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Apparently, it's only been around for about 100 years in the USA, and more and more people are wondering why it's necessary.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/09/opinions/daylight-saving-time-yates/index.html

Yep. Many statistics out there too about increases in heart attacks and other sudden morbidity, car accidents, etc., around this period of the year. I'm 100% in favour of its being abolished everywhere.

15 hours ago, superjack said:

Maybe donated to a charity raffle? I would love to win/own that shirt, and there's a good chance it's my size as well.

? Me too mate!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

How come you never see anyone with a coo’s lick these days? ?

are coos licks a thing these days?

57 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

are coos licks a thing these days?

Dunno mate. I’d imagine so, naw? Surely they’ve no genetically engineered their way out over the last few years? How the hell would that have happened?

Growing up, a good mate of mine had a belter of a coo’s lick, and they were far more commonplace then (I think). But now tho?..they’re rarer than a white dug shite for some reason?

3 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Well my one has vanished due to male pattern baldness. 

59 minutes ago, scottishguy said:

When your driving, why is there always a single shoe at the side of the road?

How come you never find a pair of gloves?

6 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Bill Haley had a wonderful coo's lick, then he died.

Coincidence?  I think not!.

On 30/03/2019 at 01:20, Lemongrab said:

I you do and they’re a pair of nice “Dent” black leather gloves, they’re mine.  Lost them last week.

:seething:

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why is it a "pair of trousers" but not a "pair of shirts."

This bugged me enough to look a while back.

Trousers apparently used to consist of 2 separate pieces, one for each leg secured around the waist. 

3 hours ago, gjcc said:

Trousers apparently used to consist of 2 separate pieces, one for each leg secured around the waist. 

Wha about "a pair of underpants"?

Unknown user
10 hours ago, gjcc said:

Correct, worn over linen drawers it meant that your chap and his friends were fairly unprotected until codpieces came briefly into fashion. 

This is officially the best codpiece ever by the way 

1372880453792.jpg

Unknown user
On 30/03/2019 at 01:20, Lemongrab said:

The Dutch word for gloves is handschoenen, which literally means hand shoes in English. 

7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

In 'Tipping Point', if you get a double counter over with the jackpot counter, do you win £20'000?

Yes

9 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

In 'Tipping Point', if you get a double counter over with the jackpot counter, do you win £20'000?

Guy took £2700 a couple week back. They put in the last 3 counters and he would have won £20k.

3 minutes ago, The Doc said:

Yes

Just now, hughesie27 said:

Guy took £2700 a couple week back. They put in the last 3 counters and he would have won £20k.

Cheers??

All roads lead to Gorgie

Are pheasants the dumbest birds on the planet. I was up in Perthshire yesterday and the amount of road killed pheasants was off the scale. I saw one walking on the A9 right next to a squashed one. They must be bottom of the class! 

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Are pheasants the dumbest birds on the planet. I was up in Perthshire yesterday and the amount of road killed pheasants was off the scale. I saw one walking on the A9 right next to a squashed one. They must be bottom of the class! 

Possibly, but I reckon my fat ex is a contender.

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Wha about "a pair of underpants"?

Im sure underpants are a fairly new construct. Used to just wrap the bottom of your shirt around.

So a pair of underpants possibly just took on the naming fashion of troosers?

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Possibly, but I reckon my fat ex is a contender.

I will take your word for that :biggrin:

On 30/03/2019 at 01:29, iantjambo said:

Outside of a penalty shootout. Has a goalkeeper ever scored the winning goal in a cup final?

Closest I could find is Jose Chilavert who scored the only goal of the first leg of the 1996 Supercopa Libertadores Final. He also scored in at least 2 cup final penalty shootouts that I could see!

4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Closest I could find is Jose Chilavert who scored the only goal of the first leg of the 1996 Supercopa Libertadores Final. He also scored in at least 2 cup final penalty shootouts that I could see!

Funnily enough, Chilavert was one that I immediately thought about.

Campos was another.

13 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Funnily enough, Chilavert was one that I immediately thought about.

Campos was another.

Another one who is close is Vincent Enyeama, who scored a first half penalty for Hapoel Tel Aviv in the 2010 Israeli Cup Final to put them 2-1 up at half time, didn't get the winner though as Gil Vermouth added a 3rd in the 2nd half.

Campos also got the 2nd of 3 in the 1990 CONCACAF Final for Pumas.

4 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Another one who is close is Vincent Enyeama, who scored a first half penalty for Hapoel Tel Aviv in the 2010 Israeli Cup Final to put them 2-1 up at half time, didn't get the winner though as Gil Vermouth added a 3rd in the 2nd half.

Campos also got the 2nd of 3 in the 1990 CONCACAF Final for Pumas.

Technically he did get the winner I suppose.

7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Technically he did get the winner I suppose.

Depends if you use the football or hockey definition. Strangely I prefer the hockey one!

As an example say we won 3 - 1 having been 3 -0 up and the opposition pulled a goal back at the end of the game, who would you say scored the winner? 

Is it the player that put us in the lead, so scorer of the first goal or the player that ensured victory, so the player scoring the second? Or is it neither and the player last to score for the victorious side gets attributed to as having scored the winner?