Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

6 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Could Sid play bass..

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing musical instruments, people on stage and guitar

He could, but was shit. As far as I know he played in some gigs, but wasn't allowed to for any of their albums.

You see him playing at at the start and at 2:08 here.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Gentleman
16 hours ago, Boris said:

More to do with it's previous colonial status?

Nah. Everything to do with having  2 houses elected. The then opposition had the numbers in the upper house (the Senate) while the government had a majority in the lower house (House of Representatives). The upper house blocked passage of 'money supply' bills and the government couldn't function.

In other words, the same as the US but without the circuit-breaker that a monarchial head of state provides.

The whole country went apeshit when it happened and no opposition party has attempted it since. They'd be signing their own death warrants if they did.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jambothump said:

How many variations of number layouts are possible in a 9×9 Sudoku ?

Cant remember the complete number but saw somewhere it was 6 followed by 21 other numbers.

numberphile and the vsauce channels often do videos on stuff like that. 

Edited by gjcc
Typo

On 11/01/2019 at 20:43, Dawnrazor said:

The singularity, I can't get my head around it!!! I understand that Black Holes are diffiirent sizes but would the singularity be infinitesimaly small? 

The maths involved on this subject are just mental!! 

When it comes to singularities .. maths , physics and general relativity all break down .

It shouldnt be possible to crush Mount Everest down to the size of a grain of sand but thats basically whats happening in the theorised singularity

2 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

When it comes to singularities .. maths , physics and general relativity all break down .

It shouldnt be possible to crush Mount Everest down to the size of a grain of sand but thats basically whats happening in the theorised singularity

Crushed down to the size of a grain of sand, but still weighing the same, I believe.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Crushed down to the size of a grain of sand, but still weighing the same, I believe.

Having the same mass rather than weighing the same, I would imagine.

John Gentleman
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

How come people in better off areas of Edinburgh have different accents to people from the poorer areas?  

Their inner primordial need to identify with their peers? Visually, they don't need to speak in order to demonstrate that they belong to particular demographic (high quality houses, cars, clothes etc).

In a non-visual situation (eg, on the phone) nothing can be seen, so they identify by accent. This highly 'affected' accent also aids in identifying peers from other cities, eg, Newton Mearns. 

It's a tribal/class thing. They're probably not even aware that they're engaging in it.

Just my thoughts...

been here before
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

How come people in better off areas of Edinburgh have different accents to people from the poorer areas?  

Because we barely ever use public transport there is never any need to ask for "uh singul eh?" or "duz this bus go tae uh Greggs?".

12 hours ago, Herbert said:

Accents are a funny thing.  I was chatting to a Chinese woman at work a while back. She said that all Scottish accents sounded the same to her. I was a bit surprised,  till I realised that,  with the exception of a couple English speaking countries (USA & Ireland), I wouldn't be able to differentiate between any of the regional accents of any other countries. 

As for the Edinburgh's accents, I'd agree with JG, accents are acquired, from those around you, by a subconcious need to 'fit in'.

On 03/01/2019 at 22:02, Boof said:

How's about Gareth Williams?

Naked, padlocked in a holdall placed in his bathtub...and dead.

"Move on, nothing to see here", say the Met.

Bizarrely was thinking about this last week. A truly intriguing case (pun intended) - and obviously a lot more to it than came out. You would have thought the brains in MI5 would have come up with something more convincing 

22 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

Much smaller than a grain of sand, though. Neutron or quark star matter is ridiculously dense but not a singularity. A teaspoonful of quark star matter would weigh as much as all the cars, trucks and buses on earth according to a quick Google search.

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

As for the Edinburgh's accents, I'd agree with JG, accents are acquired, from those around you, by a subconcious need to 'fit in'.

This is definitely the case too when it comes to what words you use. My accent hasn't changed much, maybe just in subtle ways, after 3½ years here. I still sound unmistakably American and no one I know in the US has ever commented that I sound different. But when I go back to the States I find myself automatically using words like "trash can" and "pants" and "garbage truck" and "TV" and not using words like "bin lorry"/"bins" and "cheers" and "sorted" and "the like". There are slip-ups but they're rare--it's funny how code-switching happens so seamlessly in the brain.

On 02/02/2019 at 12:36, redjambo said:

Having the same mass rather than weighing the same, I would imagine.

You made me go look up the difference between weight and mass.

Got it! :thumb:

Just heard a song on the radio and though ‘hmm sounds like a Bond theme’ (it’s not - it was (?)Jack Savoretti).  Got me thinking, what makes a song sound like a Bond theme?

3 hours ago, FWJ said:

Just heard a song on the radio and though ‘hmm sounds like a Bond theme’ (it’s not - it was (?)Jack Savoretti).  Got me thinking, what makes a song sound like a Bond theme?

For most of them you could say 'a Big Band Sound'. Aha and Duran Duran maybe didn't get the memo.

been here before
51 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

For most of them you could say 'a Big Band Sound'. Aha and Duran Duran maybe didn't get the memo.

Female singers too. When you think of Bond themes its Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon, Sheana Easton doing For Your Eyes Only or Adele going Skyfaaaallll... that I think of as oppossed to Aha and Duran Duran. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Why is Rugby Park so ****ing big?

When it was first built, I think there was a running track round the pitch.

China has more sheep than any other country.  Why do you never see lamb on the menus in takeaways here?

30 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

China has more sheep than any other country.  Why do you never see lamb on the menus in takeaways here?

Because all the sheep get eaten in China? :confused:

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

The Chinese food we eat here is actually British food.

I think if you ordered lemon chicken in China, you’d probably be disgusted.

if lamb is not in the menu in the British takeaways, it’s because because we don’t have the appetite for it! 

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Probably because  they just don’t eat much lamb in the Canton region anyway. Whether that be due to environment/terrain for sheep farming, religion, custom/tradition or other factors. 

Pair that with them probably exporting a huge % of the lamb to foreign markets. 

6 hours ago, gjcc said:

Probably because  they just don’t eat much lamb in the Canton region anyway. Whether that be due to environment/terrain for sheep farming, religion, custom/tradition or other factors. 

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Loads of mutton (rarely lamb) dishes in China, especially as you head west. Most immigrants here are South Eastern in origin.

These make sense.

7 hours ago, jambo89 said:

The Chinese food we eat here is actually British food.

I think if you ordered lemon chicken in China, you’d probably be disgusted.

if lamb is not in the menu in the British takeaways, it’s because because we don’t have the appetite for it! 

Some of this makes sense. I'd probably get lemon chicken feet.  I can't see how we wouldn't have an appetite for it though; we eat a lot of lamb dishes in our own, and other cuisines. 

8 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Because all the sheep get eaten in China? :confused:

Well... :D 

19 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

So Good ? On Slateford Road has lamb on the menu, only Chinese I've ever seen it 

A Boy Named Crow
6 hours ago, superjack said:

The all new seethe thread,  was there an original seethe thread?

I think the OP says something  like “It’s been a while since we had one of these...” so I’m guessing there were others that came and went. I’d like to know that was so special snout this one that it became the enduring go to thread for all things seethe.

been here before

Spiderman shoots webs left, right and centre to help him get from A to B in a hurry.

Once he's fired his web, swung on it and left it dangling what happens to it?

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Spiderman shoots webs left, right and centre to help him get from A to B in a hurry.

You always see spiders webs left behind,You often get them in the face if your first out in the morning.

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

They dissolve within 2 hours, according to https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/194454/what-happens-to-spider-mans-webs

13 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

why does a fridge have a light in it but a freezer does not?

Because you don’t nip through to the freezer in the middle of the night for a quick frozen lasagne. Well I don’t anyway. 

7 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Because you don’t nip through to the freezer in the middle of the night for a quick frozen lasagne. Well I don’t anyway. 

Where else are you going to get a frozen lasagne?

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Where else are you going to get a frozen lasagne?

Probably the back of the fridge if the missus has messed with the bloody thermostat again. 

Just now, gjcc said:

Probably the back of the fridge if the missus has messed with the bloody thermostat again. 

:D

On 08/02/2019 at 04:38, gjcc said:

And lots of the Chinese lamb will be consumed by Chinese Muslims in the west of China and they are not the ones who left to open up Chinese restaurants around the world. 

On 08/02/2019 at 10:26, Jambothump said:

So Good ? On Slateford Road has lamb on the menu, only Chinese I've ever seen it 

Taste Good.

Weird coincidence I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a (delicious) lamb dish - mainly because I’d never seen lamb on a Chinese menu before.  I asked the waiter why this was and he said Scottish lamb is so good - so why not?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Do some coffee shops and pubs block mobile networks to force people to use their own WiFi. Sometimes I find no signal on my network whilst inside but it is fine again outside? 

4 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Do some coffee shops and pubs block mobile networks to force people to use their own WiFi. Sometimes I find no signal on my network whilst inside but it is fine again outside? 

A lot of the places I have trouble getting a connection are on the ground floor of old tenements; specially towards the back. Are the places you've experienced this in older properties?

I was in a ground floor flat in Dalry earlier,  and couldn't even get a phone signal with either Vodafone or EE.

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

A lot of the places I have trouble getting a connection are on the ground floor of old tenements; specially towards the back. Are the places you've experienced this in older properties?

I was in a ground floor flat in Dalry earlier,  and couldn't even get a phone signal with either Vodafone or EE.

You could be right it tends to be on ground floors and in the city centre areas where most of tenements are. Cheers. 

On 11/02/2019 at 08:25, FWJ said:

Taste Good.

Weird coincidence I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a (delicious) lamb dish - mainly because I’d never seen lamb on a Chinese menu before.  I asked the waiter why this was and he said Scottish lamb is so good - so why not?

That's right, Taste Good,  I had a pal, that would  travel from travel the Southside, just for a takeaway from there.

been here before
On 28/12/2018 at 22:51, been here before said:

To get or to give pelters.

What is or was a pelter?

Was it originaly a thing or is it more to pelt with ridicule, abuse, punches? Something to do with animal hides?

Anyone help a brother out with this?

Edited by been here before

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Isn’t to ‘pelt’ something to throw things at it - so rather than something physical, like rotten tomatoes, eggs etc - you’re throwing insults/abuse?

19 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You could be right it tends to be on ground floors and in the city centre areas where most of tenements are. Cheers. 

Quite a few things affect phone signal, there are something like 6 frequencies of mobile signal used in the UK from 2g,3g and 4g. 2g is best at building penetration but modern phones try to connect to the fastest available so will select a weak 4g signal over a strong 2g one.

Modern building regulations also have an impact with things like foil lined insulation blocking more of the signal.

Only real solution at the moment is that if you are somewhere for any great amount of time is to switch off 3/4g leaving 2g/gsm as your phone signal and then use wifi for data. 

8 hours ago, been here before said:

Isn't it just a colloquialism?

What's worse - giving someone pelters or giving them laldy?