• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always wondered about the point of those automatic soap dispensers.

I know they say it is more hygienic because you do not need to push a dirty button, possibly handled by many other people, but why is that a problem? You will wash your hands after you have pushed the button, so it does not matter. It is only an issue if you wash your hands, then press the button to dispense some soap.

That, my friend, is a bloody good point !

I was watching some programme the other day with a top scientist who said it was very likely there are alternative universes where there is a happier you and an unhappier you doing exactly what you are doing at this moment in time.

Mind blowing.

There was a programme on String Theory on (i think) channel 4 about 5 years ago but it has been repeated. Was extremely interesting and has a lot of mind blowing permutations...but physicists are divided on its merit

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

JamboInSouthsea

Who first invented cooked food? And more specifically, stuff like bread?

Probably happened at similar times across the globe or from the chimps we're descended from.

Bread seems fairly generic in some form or another around the world too but I would guess the middle east say Syria or Egypt...afterall they invented beer (Gawd bless 'em) and the starting ingredients are the same so perhaps as an offshoot one way round or the other.

I'm guessing at all this as can't be bothered actually finding out!!!

Probably happened at similar times across the globe or from the chimps we're descended from.

Bread seems fairly generic in some form or another around the world too but I would guess the middle east say Syria or Egypt...afterall they invented beer (Gawd bless 'em) and the starting ingredients are the same so perhaps as an offshoot one way round or the other.

I'm guessing at all this as can't be bothered actually finding out!!!

I just can't get my head round coming up with that as a concept. Let's take Flour (already a fairly mental thing to come up with), water, a line bacterial agent and salt, mix up into s dough and then bake it in an oven.

I love people.

I just can't get my head round coming up with that as a concept. Let's take Flour (already a fairly mental thing to come up with), water, a line bacterial agent and salt, mix up into s dough and then bake it in an oven.

I love people.

What I don't get about the evolution of food is when you have certain parts of a plant or animal that are edible but others aren't, why did we persist in trying to find out the bit not to eat when people got sick or died and not just rule the entire thing as inedible?

What I don't get about the evolution of food is when you have certain parts of a plant or animal that are edible but others aren't, why did we persist in trying to find out the bit not to eat when people got sick or died and not just rule the entire thing as inedible?

Exactly. Look at an artichoke. 90% vicious inedible horror. And needs the preparation of a craftsman. Baffling commitment.

JamboInSouthsea

Potatoes are another one, part chippable but also highly toxic!!

As we developed as a species I would guess that some things that were fine then became poisonous or the other way round. We still have the odd now defunct organ such as the appendix which was when we ate stuff we now don't

Exactly. Look at an artichoke. 90% vicious inedible horror. And needs the preparation of a craftsman. Baffling commitment.

Was more meaning things like Pufferfish that unless prepared in a certain way are highly toxic!

First guy eats it raw, becomes paralyzed and dies

2nd guy sticks it on the fire, becomes paralyzed and dies

Why the **** does the third guy not show everyone a pufferfish and say, 'don't eat this or you will die!' ?!?

No instead 10, 20 or hundred guys down the line they find a way to fillet the non toxic parts and eat them.

Even then there are still hundreds of cases of accidental deaths caused by people not filleting it in the right way!

Was more meaning things like Pufferfish that unless prepared in a certain way are highly toxic!

First guy eats it raw, becomes paralyzed and dies

2nd guy sticks it on the fire, becomes paralyzed and dies

Why the **** does the third guy not show everyone a pufferfish and say, 'don't eat this or you will die!' ?!?

No instead 10, 20 or hundred guys down the line they find a way to fillet the non toxic parts and eat them.

Even then there are still hundreds of cases of accidental deaths caused by people not filleting it in the right way!

I got what you meant, Fugu did spring to mind. But aye. My curiosity for eating something wouldn't extend past the first death.

People are committed alright.

JamboInSouthsea

If you've got a lorry load of pigeons is it lighter if they're all flying about than if they're on their perches?

Think they tried this one out on Mythbusters and can't remember the outcome...I would guess that the flapping of the wings would create a downward pressure of air on the truck and so there would be no actual difference if they were perched or flying. Also as they 'pushed off' for flight then this extra pressure would increase this.

Edited by JamboInSouthsea

Think they tried this one out on Mythbusters and can't remember the outcome...I would guess that the flapping of the wings would create a downward pressure of air on the truck and so there would be no actual difference if they were perched or flying. Also as they 'pushed off' for flight then this extra pressure would increase this.

assuming that the lorry has a roof, there should be no difference in weight as it would be classed as a closed system, so for there to be a weight difference something would have to be either removed or added to the lorry

Guest C00l K1d

assuming that the lorry has a roof, there should be no difference in weight as it would be classed as a closed system, so for there to be a weight difference something would have to be either removed or added to the lorry

In my head it would make a difference.

Taking away the force of the wing movement theyre effectively floating and not creating a downwards push anywhere.

In my head it would make a difference.

Taking away the force of the wing movement theyre effectively floating and not creating a downwards push anywhere.

it is one of the quirks of what is a closed system

Why does one nut always hang lower than the other??

So that they dont hit against each other when your running.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Why does one testis hang lower than the other?

• The reason is due to the venous blood drainage. In the left side, the testicular vein drains into the left renal vein. The left renal vein is smaller than the inferior vena cava to which the right spermatic vein drains into. This difference in the speed of venous blood drainage produces the difference in height of the two testicles.

• If you have two testicles hanging exactly at the same level, they would rub and bang against each other when you walk, run or do any physical activity. This will cause a lot of pain and trauma. Nature prevents this issue by hanging one testicle lower than the other.

• Enhanced Sperm Protection: A study in France has pointed out that each testicle maintains a slightly different temperature than the other. This is beneficial for sperm production.It is also advantageous to the protection of sperms as two testes rubbing against each other would result in increased temperature and be detrimental to sperms.

Edited by Brian Whittakers Tache

What do the folk who tell you eastenders is next etc do in between their announcements? Is that there only job, just to introduce the next show?.

I work beside these guys. The department is called Presentation and as far as I'm aware there is always someone in working 24/7. Their job is to not only announce what's coming up etc but to also monitor the output. Any problems then they have to get it sorted while giving an announcement on air. It will also be their job to press the button to split the channels from network. So when River City is coming on they will make sure Scotland gets that instead of what's on down south.

Radio used to have similar. They were called Continuity. There job was to sit and listen to the radio, do the news on the hour and if there was a pre-recorded programme, play it out and play a duplicate version 1second later. Incase anything happened to stop the first.

theAlvasection

And on that note how do blind people know when to stop wiping when they have been to the toilet?

Do they ask the dog?

Sniff the paper

Edited by theAlvasection

Why do little girls play with baby dolls? You know, with the bottles and the wee prams, nurturing them into motherhood so early, imagine you done that with boys. Why do they do it at all?

Do you have any things like this? Kickback has the answer to most things so maybe find out some interesting wee bits and pieces.

My questions are:

Why in movies when there is a scene in a car do they have a fake background? Surely it can't be that hard just to drive a car and film it?

How did singing to support your team come abou in football? It doesn't seem like a natural thing to do when watching a game.

What do the folk who tell you eastenders is next etc do in between their announcements? Is that there only job, just to introduce the next show?

Someone answer these please and ask your own. Useless knowledge is power.

Number 3 - Continuity announcers. They record the trailers for programmes in between live announcements. Most of the main channels use live announcers (BBC1 and STV do peaktime) and believe it or not there are websites and forums where people can name all these announcers for you. Some of us even post ourselves! :)

Are there cavemen in heaven?

Do you wear the same clothes forever in heaven?

What do you do in heaven?

If you get to heaven is it possible to be bad and get thrown out?

Are there different heavens for different people? I can't imagine Hibs fans going to heaven and finding some of us there......"Hey....so....19th of May....."

Also....if heaven does exist, and you're a believer and all that stuff, say you lose a leg in an accident but survive. When you die years later is your leg waiting for you in heaven?

That said.....I don't believe in heaven so these questions are kinda pointless.......I just wasted two minutes of my life......and yours.

Sorry.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

You know how when you look at a star you're not seeing how it looks now but how it looked the length of time ago it took the light to reach you? Does that mean if you somehow travelled to a very distant point in the universe and looked back at earth through a fecking massive telescope you'd see dinosaurs? Could you then work out the various points in the universe you'd need to be at to witness different events in history?

If the universe is infinite how come the night sky isn't filled entirely with stars?

You know how when you look at a star you're not seeing how it looks now but how it looked the length of time ago it took the light to reach you? Does that mean if you somehow travelled to a very distant point in the universe and looked back at earth through a fecking massive telescope you'd see dinosaurs? Could you then work out the various points in the universe you'd need to be at to witness different events in history?

If the universe is infinite how come the night sky isn't filled entirely with stars?

Well if you traveled away from earth at the speed of light for one year then looked back, you'd see earth how it was just after you left no? Since you traveled at the same speed as the light.

So to look back millions of years you'd need to travel at millions of times the speed of light.

I think.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Assuming that you can't travel faster than the speed of light, you'd never be able to outpace the light to look back at Earth's history. If some alien life form billions of miles away was able to somehow see Earth with something akin to your telescope, I'd guess they still wouldn't be able to see dinosaurs themselves as atmospheric conditions etc would distort the light as it travels. Sorry :laugh:

Light pollution from Earth - and for that matter, the Moon - limits the stars most of us see to only the brightest. Also, the most distant stars are simply too dim to see anyway. Go to a spot with a truly 'dark' sky (you need to be seriously in the middle of nowhere) and it's amazing how many stars you can see with the naked eye.

Chad Sexington

What decade did people use the word "deffo" ?

:vrface:

I cant resist this. :lol:

Just before I do pop you on ignore I would implore you take your brain medicine. :(

You're obviously not a well man. Creeping about the internet in the middle of the night and posting random, fractured thoughts that only a fellow mentalist would find of any interest.

You've obviously been sitting waiting to have a crack at me as I've probably made an arse of you in the past :smuggy:

To cash your chips in on my use of the word "deffo" is a bit desperate though. You could have waited for something a bit better than that.

Anyway, like I said before, you are obviously someone with mental health issues and I'd rather not converse with you any more. I don't even want to read the inevitable "deffo" retort to this post. :)

Edited by Chad Sexington

NotVincentGuerain

:vrface:

I cant resist this. :lol:

Just before I do pop you on ignore I would implore you take your brain medicine. :(

You're obviously not a well man. Creeping about the internet in the middle of the night and posting random, fractured thoughts that only a fellow mentalist would find of any interest.

You've obviously been sitting waiting to have a crack at me as I've probably made an arse of you in the past :smuggy:

To cash your chips in on my use of the word "deffo" is a bit desperate though. You could have waited for something a bit better than that.

Anyway, like I said before, you are obviously someone with mental health issues and I'd rather not converse with you any more. I don't even want to read the inevitable "deffo" retort to this post. :)

for deffo

Why do the Australians call the English (Scottish?) Poms when it was actually Australia that was built by Poms?

While we're there. How can a whole country's population in such a short time end up all speaking with the same, completely different accent to what the original Brits had?

And why is the alphabet in the order that it is?

Do animals have blood types?

Why dont people fight on top of trains anymore?

Edited by Brandt

John Gentleman

....and why does the auld fella lie to one side or the other (as in......,"to which side does sir dress?" ? which you'd have encountered if you've ever bought a tailor-made suit.

I'm sure there's some connection between this and which baw hings lower.

When a dog takes a dump it has the perfect crimp system eliminating the need for toilet paper. How come we dont have the same?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

When a dog takes a dump it has the perfect crimp system eliminating the need for toilet paper. How come we dont have the same?

Dog doesnt have arse cheeks, thats why their farts are silent!

Edited by Brian Whittakers Tache

....and why does the auld fella lie to one side or the other (as in......,"to which side does sir dress?" ? which you'd have encountered if you've ever bought a tailor-made suit.

I'm sure there's some connection between this and which baw hings lower.

Is it not always the left nut that hangs lower?

Guest GhostHunter

Dog doesnt have arse cheeks, thats why their farts are silent!

On a related subject - why, when a cat farts, do they jump 3 ft in the air in complete shock ?

A Boy Named Crow

If a tap is a 'faucet' in the USA, why do they say 'tap water'? :uhoh2:

Similarly, in America they call chips "fries" and crisps "chips", so what do they call oven chips???