Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Slevinkelevra

Was on the bus today an saw a pigeon on a electricity pylon, got me thinking why do birds not get electrocuted when they are on them???

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does Imperial Leather soap have a sticker on it, and more importantly why doesn't it fall off?

some posh folk - my auld granny - used to have a bathroom attachment with a magnet that let you suspend your posh soap in the air. this meant your posh soap didn't wallow in dampness and go all soft and yucky.

as a 4yr old I thought it was basically magic.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Why cereal at breakfast?

Principally down to the work of John Harvey Kellogg at the Western Health Reform Institute in Battle Creek, Michigan in finding a healthier alternative to the popular breakfast choices of the day, work which was heavily influenced by the principles of Seventh Day Adventism. Subsequently popularized by his brother, W.K. Kellogg, who founded the Kellogg Toasted Corn Flake Company in 1906.

When the scientists at Roslin decided to clone an animal, why did they chose a sheep when they all look the same already?

Stuart McNeill
Was on the bus today an saw a pigeon on a electricity pylon, got me thinking why do birds not get electrocuted when they are on them???

Isn't it because the electricity isnt hitting the ground, sure it's called (earthed)

Could be wrong.

Slevinkelevra

Isn't it because the electricity isnt hitting the ground, sure it's called (earthed)

Sounds plausible, but then thought if I went up an touched the wire surely I would be electrocuted? Or am I being thick as usual haha

Could be wrong.

I have always wondered about the point of those automatic soap dispensers.

I know they say it is more hygienic because you do not need to push a dirty button, possibly handled by many other people, but why is that a problem? You will wash your hands after you have pushed the button, so it does not matter. It is only an issue if you wash your hands, then press the button to dispense some soap.

Why do people keep saying Jimmy Saville "thought" he was above the law ?

Same question..but for Ranges

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

Why do people drive along picking their noses? Are they now aware they are surrounded by glass and can be clearly seen digging for green nasal gold?

Is it not a producer (if that's what they're called), one of the characters who makes sure the adverts and the programmes etc run smoothly into one another? It's always the same voice that comes on if there's been a technical issue. Some will be pre-recorded these days, I'm sure, but they used to crack off the cuff jokes and all sorts back in the day (back in the day being circa 2006)

It certainly is a producer. Sometimes pre recorded and sometimes live. I've a friend that sometimes has to do this on regional BBC in north west England

Guest C00l K1d

Does that mean if you jumped up and hung onto a wire you would be okay as long as you were no longer touching it when you dropped back to the ground?

I think so.

As long as you are not the quickest way to the ground you should be fine.

We erect a lot of temporary structures and these all need to be earthed with earth wire. You plug that into your distro and presuming everythings earthed down the line properly you shouldnt get a shock of the structure if something was to pass through it.

Does 'sealing' meat really 'seal in the juices' or does it just give a charred bit to eat?

It just gives you a lovely caramelised bit to eat. There is no way of stopping juices coming out of a piece of meat.

does the volume of water on the earth ever increase or decrease?

volume or mass?

mass would stay the same i'd expect. ice has about 10% greater volume than water so during an ice age the volume of water would increase.

I'd guess steam has a different volume to liquid water too, but feck knows what.

I was watching some programme the other day with a top scientist who said it was very likely there are alternative universes where there is a happier you and an unhappier you doing exactly what you are doing at this moment in time.

Mind blowing.

I was watching some programme the other day with a top scientist who said it was very likely there are alternative universes where there is a happier you and an unhappier you doing exactly what you are doing at this moment in time.

Mind blowing.

I'd like to meet the unhappier me.

Not in my lifetime though.

Edited by Craigieboy

I've just tried to read an explanation of it for simpletons and it seems to be many world theory which concludes that every single possible outcome of everything ever done has occurred in alternate universes.

So in another universe Germany won World War Two and Craigyboy won't be a polish lesbian.

So are we even real? Are we just an outcome of someone else's reality? I don't know what to think :sob:

Edited by McGlynn Style Advisor

I've just tried to read an explanation of it for simpletons and it seems to be many world theory which concludes that every single possible outcome of everything ever done has occurred in alternate universes.

So in another universe Germany won World War Two and Craigyboy won't be a polish lesbian.

Polish lesbians have great fun.

So I've heard.

:look:

Been some decent threads the last few weeks on Kickback. This is another :thumbsup:

You got a link to that programme Partridge?

I'm not taking the piss but it was Sunday brunch with Tim lovejoy :lol:

Some science expert has wrote a book trying to explain all these things to idiots like me and you and they had him on asking him all sorts of stuff.

NotVincentGuerain

So are we even real? Are we just an outcome of someone else's reality? I don't know what to think :sob:

Try reading Philip K Dick.

It's no worth watching beats, it was only discussed for a second, read the book ya lazy *****

It's no worth watching beats, it was only discussed for a second, read the book ya lazy *****

**** that.

You read it and come back to me with your findings.

Creepy Lurker

Why cereal at breakfast?

This is about western governments wanting to keep grain producers onside after hugely increasing grain production during the war, and to that end pushing the idea that a high carbohydrate breakfast (ie cereal) is nutritionally superior.

Some science expert has wrote a book trying to explain all these things to idiots like me and you and they had him on asking him all sorts of stuff.

Just get brief history of time. It's about as well written and accessible as the mind bendingly mental world of physics.

Why do people drive along picking their noses? Are they now aware they are surrounded by glass and can be clearly seen digging for green nasal gold?

Why is it that when you have quick peak at a cleavage, you initially think you wont be spotted because she is wearing the sunglasses?

Mind blowing.

Think you caught an old red dwarf on Dave

That's me out then. :(

Can't watch anything with that faux Chelsea supporting fud in it without wanting to smash my TV up.

He could only become a bigger welt if he said he followed Hibs for their artistic flair and free flowing football.

:boak:

Brian Whittaker's Tache

How much would sea level rise by if you took out all the sponges in the oceans?

It would surely drop, if anything.

JamboInSouthsea

Try reading Philip K Dick.

I have and strongly believe he was either a genius or acid head...probably both...try reading Lies Inc..confusing to say the least

JamboInSouthsea

Depends where you squeezed the water, back into the oceans or in a cup...it would evaporate at some point then back into atmosphere then back into the system.

Edited by JamboInSouthsea

Fracking & Steam-Punk.

Haven't a clue.

Fracking: There are small pockets of natural gas trapped in layers of shale deep underground. Fracking is the injecting of very high pressure water into the seams of rock in order to split it open so the gas leaks out. People in fracking areas have been complaining about gas getting into the water supply for years and get an annual compensation payment from the energy companies. Fracking also requires the digging up of huge areas of ground to use as massive reservoirs for the water that is used in the process.

Steam Punk: Dressing up for feckwits. They live in a kid-on imaginery world in which everything is still modern but is still run off steam power. Get any Victorian/Edwardian piece of clothing and superglue either an exhaust pipe or some brass cogs to it and hey presto, you're steampunk.

Lancashire_Lou

Fracking: There are small pockets of natural gas trapped in layers of shale deep underground. Fracking is the injecting of very high pressure water into the seams of rock in order to split it open so the gas leaks out. People in fracking areas have been complaining about gas getting into the water supply for years and get an annual compensation payment from the energy companies. Fracking also requires the digging up of huge areas of ground to use as massive reservoirs for the water that is used in the process.

Steam Punk: Dressing up for feckwits. They live in a kid-on imaginery world in which everything is still modern but is still run off steam power. Get any Victorian/Edwardian piece of clothing and superglue either an exhaust pipe or some brass cogs to it and hey presto, you're steampunk.

Ta! I just always thought 'Goths in brown' whenever I heard steam-punk being mentioned. I wasn't far off then.