Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Do you have any things like this? Kickback has the answer to most things so maybe find out some interesting wee bits and pieces.

My questions are:

Why in movies when there is a scene in a car do they have a fake background? Surely it can't be that hard just to drive a car and film it?

How did singing to support your team come abou in football? It doesn't seem like a natural thing to do when watching a game.

What do the folk who tell you eastenders is next etc do in between their announcements? Is that there only job, just to introduce the next show?

Someone answer these please and ask your own. Useless knowledge is power.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BoJack Horseman

Do you have any things like this? Kickback has the answer to most things so maybe find out some interesting wee bits and pieces.

My questions are:

Why in movies when there is a scene in a car do they have a fake background? Surely it can't be that hard just to drive a car and film it?

How did singing to support your team come abou in football? It doesn't seem like a natural thing to do when watching a game.

What do the folk who tell you eastenders is next etc do in between their announcements? Is that there only job, just to introduce the next show?

Someone answer these please and ask your own. Useless knowledge is power.

1. Shut down a whole street and stage a driving scene, or sit in a stationary car in a studio with a green screen. What's cheaper?

2. Pass.

3. Is it not pre-recorded?

BoJack Horseman

How can we tell what substance a planet is made of just by looking at it?

How do radio signals travel through solid walls?

Who decided, and how did they decide, on the original borders for all the countries?

How did folk draw maps pre-20th century?

How do we know what the flesh of extinct animals looked like?

1. Shut down a whole street and stage a driving scene, or sit in a stationary car in a studio with a green screen. What's cheaper?

2. Pass.

I always wondered about number 3 aswell, and I dont think it is all pre recorded as they sometimes make reference to something that has just happened (eg after watching England lose despite having a penalty to win the match lets see if Peggy Mitchell can help you drown your sorrows in Eastenders") Obv that was one I just made up in my head but you get the idea.

NotVincentGuerain

How can we tell what substance a planet is made of just by looking at it? spectroscopy

Who decided, and how did they decide, on the original borders for all the countries? touchy subject

post-26016-0-79132900-1381879523_thumb.gif

Edited by NotVincentGuerain

NotVincentGuerain

"Why in movies when there is a scene in a car do they have a fake background? Surely it can't be that hard just to drive a car and film it?"

cos it was cheaper to film movies in a studio. nowadays though, its usually a car(or part of a car) on a trolley. sometimes you can see they are higher up than the traffic around them.

(and do the announcers not just hang out with gordon the gopher?)

Edited by NotVincentGuerain

How many answers on postcards did Craig Charles receive during Takeshi's Castle?

Edited by peter_hmfc

JamboInSouthsea

How can we tell what substance a planet is made of just by looking at it? Spectroscopy yes although this is more relative to the atmosphere or if it's a gas planet like Jupiter but also from it's mass (i.e. movement through space) and size which gives you it's density which then tells you what it is mainly made of.

How do radio signals travel through solid walls? Radio signals are like light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. The ability to pass through certain substances depends on the substance and the radiation.

Who decided, and how did they decide, on the original borders for all the countries? Largely through fighting I would have thought.

How did folk draw maps pre-20th century? Paper and ink? Possibly initially via sailing round the land and taking measurements re. latitude and other stuff.

How do we know what the flesh of extinct animals looked like? Not sure we actually do tbh

Who decided, and how did they decide, on the original borders for all the countries? Largely through fighting I would have thought.

Or if the British were around they just took out a ruler and drew a straight line on a map, neatly solving the problem. I have wondered how straight they are in reality.

Is it not a producer (if that's what they're called), one of the characters who makes sure the adverts and the programmes etc run smoothly into one another? It's always the same voice that comes on if there's been a technical issue. Some will be pre-recorded these days, I'm sure, but they used to crack off the cuff jokes and all sorts back in the day (back in the day being circa 2006)

BoJack Horseman

Is it not a producer (if that's what they're called), one of the characters who makes sure the adverts and the programmes etc run smoothly into one another? It's always the same voice that comes on if there's been a technical issue. Some will be pre-recorded these days, I'm sure, but they used to crack off the cuff jokes and all sorts back in the day (back in the day being circa 2006)

Probably the likely answer. Someone who's employed to be sitting through the shows anyway. Doubt they've brought someone in just to read the lead ins to the next programme.

How do ships/cruise liners and tankers stay afloat? They are just massive metal shell with so much weight on top of it. (as can tell am no expert on this)

How can woman bleed for a week and not die?

How can Woman claim that child birth is the most painful experience ever when theyve never had a leather football smashed square in the nuts?

How can woman bleed for a week and not die?

How can Woman claim that child birth is the most painful experience ever when theyve never had a leather football smashed square in the nuts?

Lucky you are not old enough to have felt the mitre mouldmaster.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

How do ships/cruise liners and tankers stay afloat? They are just massive metal shell with so much weight on top of it. (as can tell am no expert on this)

Eureka!

Snake Plissken

Sometimes I wonder about how shit works, like televisions or computers, how do these boxes of microchips and wires make images appear on a screen? How is it possible that I can communicate easily with people thousands of miles away from me in an instant?

Sometimes I wonder about how shit works, like televisions or computers, how do these boxes of microchips and wires make images appear on a screen? How is it possible that I can communicate easily with people thousands of miles away from me in an instant?

Agreed! And cameras?! Hit a button & you get a digital image if what's in front of you.

Bonkers

How can we tell what substance a planet is made of just by looking at it?

Who decided, and how did they decide, on the original borders for all the countries?

The story of mapmaking is fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mapmakers-John-Noble-Wilford/dp/0375708502/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381906171&sr=8-1&keywords=mapmakers

Religeon? Why

How come getting your Baws flicked is sorer than getting them whacked.

How come when my Da' tells the story of stopping a free kick by John White with his plums do all the blokes wince and cross their legs, me included.

Where do girls pee from?

For years I just thought it came from their hole, but it doesn't. They have a special tiny little hole just above their useful one.

Guest C00l K1d

For years I just thought it came from their hole, but it doesn't. They have a special tiny little hole just above their useful one.

When i was about 5 i used to think they peed from their arse :laugh:

If you had all the people in the world standing shoulder to shoulder then how big an area would bw taken up. And what would happen if they all jumped at the same time.

If you had all the people in the world standing shoulder to shoulder then how big an area would bw taken up. And what would happen if they all jumped at the same time.

The Earth would be lighter and smash into the Sun killing everyone*

* this answer is unscientific and even I don't believe it.

How the flip does a needle spinning around on a chunk of plastic perfectly reproduce a recording of music?

djrooms-moreanimations16.gif

I know that it's something to do with vibrations caused by the needle moving across tiny bumps, but it still seems like some kind of witchcraft.

The miracle of giving birth to a child.

From a tiny near invisible egg, to complex stuff like eyes, limbs, veins, organs developing. All in the right place, at the right time. Without the intervention of an intelligent designer.

Seems a bit silly sometimes to believe in evolution & blind chance. But still can't get my head fully round the whole god thing.

I suppose there are some questions which will just remain unanswered.

Edited by Craigieboy

Funnily enough, I was reading about something similar last week. Apparently back in the day, opera houses and concert halls used to be just as rowdy as a football match, hence the orchestras became bigger and bigger so they could be heard pre-amplification. Only later as the upper classes tried to keep the riff-raff out by demanding silence did this change.

Therefore it's a small jump to propose that singing and shouting was the norm at most events, and only in football (and darts!) has it persisted to this day.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Why are the plates dry when they come out of the dishwasher but the frying pan is always wet?

Ceramics retain heat better than metal

(a ) The city of Los Angeles

(b ) Nothing

I'm sure if all land was divvied up between all people we'd all get two hectares each.

Edited by Der Kaiser

The People's Chimp

Lucky you are not old enough to have felt the mitre mouldmaster.

A mouldmaster smashed on the thigh when wearing shorts to school, circa 1988, probably a frosty, cold, January.

:sob:

When i was about 5 i used to think they peed from their arse :laugh:

You mean they don't?

Googled it, they don't! WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!!

My friend just last night gave me his copy of On The Map which he read while on holiday. Said it was excellent.

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/On_The_Map.html?id=7AE9XkG6G44C&redir_esc=y

How do guide dogs know where to go??

And on that note how do blind people know when to stop wiping when they have been to the toilet?

Do they ask the dog?

What the funk is going on with the phenomena that when you step off an escalator which isn't working you know it's not moving, your brain knows it's not moving and yet your body doesn't quite get it and you generally have to make a slight walking adjustment to accommodate your feet's anticipation of movement?

Why does Imperial Leather soap have a sticker on it, and more importantly why doesn't it fall off?

HaHa! One of lifes' definite how the feck?

How the flip does a needle spinning around on a chunk of plastic perfectly reproduce a recording of music?

djrooms-moreanimations16.gif

I know that it's something to do with vibrations caused by the needle moving across tiny bumps, but it still seems like some kind of witchcraft.

And how do these things work? There's no tape to play!

car-stereo-cassette-adapter-for-ipod-mp3.jpg