The Simpsons

Franklin Delano Bluth

Franklin Delano Bluth

Killing off one of the 'regular characters'.

Who will it be? Does anyone really care anymore?

The shark has well and truly been jumped.

:fonzie:

Edited by Franklin Delano Bluth

Sexton Hardcastle

Recently started firing it on when it shows around 6.30 on Sky 1. Get a decent old one but then they show a newer one and its time to change.

It's got pretty lazy recently, not a scratch on what it was in it's prime.

football-in-the-groin.gif

If they could kill off all of the Simpson family, I'd appreciate it, as it would end a show that has been awful for over a decade.

The first 10 years or so are essential, hilarious and infinitely rewatchable. It's now been shite longer than it's been amazing :(

The Comedian

If they could kill off all of the Simpson family, I'd appreciate it, as it would end a show that has been awful for over a decade.

The first 10 years or so are essential, hilarious and infinitely rewatchable. It's now been shite longer than it's been amazing :(

It was worth getting Sky for at one point in the early 90's.

Utter pap now.

rossthejambo

Early Simpsons is up there with the best comedy series going, later ones are at the other end of the scale. Killing off characters is a really poor way to try and boost ratings.

It's between Sideshow Bob, Krusty The Clown, Comic Book Guy, Chief Wiggum, Edna Krabappel and Grandpa Simpson.

Have a strong feeling it'll be Sideshow Bob. Krusty would be a bit disappointing, Comic Book Guy and no-one will care (will end with the phrase "Worst death scene EVER!"), Wiggum and a fairly big "meh", Krabappel "meh", Grandpa would be pretty sad.

Sideshow Bob to be killed in yet another attempt to kill Bart, must have a 0-40 success rate by now.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The Simpsons has always been terrible.

The only cartoon comedy worth a sook is South Park which utterly destroys the Simpsons.

Snake Plissken

The only cartoon comedy worth a sook is South Park which utterly destroys the Simpsons.

:arry:

Nup, not having that.

Just about any episode from seasons 2-9 is a sure-fire classic.

South Park's dipped in the last seasons for me but did enjoy a longer run of consistent brilliance than The Simpsons.

Chad Sexington

Partridge on deep troll duties I see. :lol:

The Simpson was the funniest and most innovative show on television for most of the 90's.

I still enjoy watching those old episodes, despite seeing most of them dozens of times.

If a newer one comes on now I simply switch it off. Even my 6 year old can tell the difference in quality. She cant stand the newer ones either.

Stopped watching religiously about 8 years ago. The movie was terrible but the show had been on the decline before then. Was out at my dad's one night and the nephew had it on on Sky the lady gaga episode ten minutes and I said this is pish. Never watched an episode since.

Have to agree South Park pushes all over the Simpsons. The thought of a Simpson family guy tie in episode coming just sounds awful.

Generic Username

If anyone else has had the misfortune of seeing the Lady Gaga episode then you'll agreed its not a character that needs killed off, it's Matt Groening who needs chucked into an active volcano.

Edited by audioslave

Sexton Hardcastle

Never had sky as a lad and was forced to watch the 4 episodes bbc2 had the rights to in the early days.

Nap

Geoff Kilpatrick

If anyone else has had the misfortune of seeing the Lady Gaga episode then you'll agreed its not a character that needs killed off, it's Matt Groening who needs chucked into an active volcano.

:spoton:

jamboinglasgow

Not seen that one but heard many people say its one of the worst, I can imagine why, have a guest star on who has the personality of an egg plant (seriously she doesn't thats why she does gimmicks.) Certainly the two worst episodes I have ever watched are the episode where Bart looks after a cow (felt it wasn't funny, almost going at anyone who wasn't vegetarian) and the RIcky Gervais episode.

Agree with others, the first 9 seasons were great, the following 5 seasons were alright (more hit and miss but some great episodes in it) and after that it is mainly terrible. Cant remember when I last watched a new episode and I was a huge fan when I was younger.

To me there are a number of reasons it became terrible, one is it became obsessed with guest stars. Guest stars in the early seasons were special and it was a surprise see them on the show, now its if your remotely famous there is a news story saying person x will be in the simpsons. Secondly it went up its own arse, it was to be seen as sophisticated, just look at later shows, when it never really tried to do that in the earlier shows. And finally Lisa Simpson, they ruined her character and turned her into one of the most horrible characters. In the early series it worked with her being a child who is smarter then those around her in her family, but in later series she is turned into a know-it-all who despises her own family and for the most part the show lets her get away with that.

As people say it should have ended at least 7 or 8 years ago, but it wont, because it makes Fox too much money to end it.

Agreed.

horrendous episode

even though I can't stand the ****, the Ricky Gervais episode would have been ok but for some reason they hyped it up to ****, it was advertised for weeks on sky one, god knows why when much bigger stars have been on with little or no hype.

Snake Plissken

The Ricky Gervais episode :vrface:

That may have been the last "new" episode I've watched, I just can't bring myself to watch any more modern ones (after 2000 I mean) but I still regularly watch the old ones.

The Ricky Gervais episode :vrface:

That may have been the last "new" episode I've watched, I just can't bring myself to watch any more modern ones (after 2000 I mean) but I still regularly watch the old ones.

Same here. It's sad really. It used to be an intelligent, genuinely funny cartoon, now it's just woeful.

Creepy Lurker

Not seen that one but heard many people say its one of the worst, I can imagine why, have a guest star on who has the personality of an egg plant (seriously she doesn't thats why she does gimmicks.)

In this country, we call them aubergines.

The precise moment the Simpsons died was when Principal Skinner was revealed as Armind Tamsarian. Never seen a decent episode since that.

Up till series 9 it was the best programme in the history of television

Gene Parmesan

The Simpsons has been desperately poor since 1998.

Sadly, Phil Hartman was killed in 1998.

It's not a coincidence. It's almost like they gave up.

The show should have been cancelled 10 years ago. At least.

I wonder what the betting is on who will be killed off

favourites could be

Grandpa Simpson

Principal skinners mother

Groundskeeper Willie

Fat Tony

any other suggestions?

Matthew Le Tissier

I wonder what the betting is on who will be killed off

favourites could be

Grandpa Simpson

Principal skinners mother

Groundskeeper Willie

Fat Tony

any other suggestions?

Geeky moment, but Fat Tony has already died. He was replaced by his cousin Fit Tony. Who then got fat and became Fat Tony

Seasons 3-10 are up there with the greatest television I've seen and I'll still watch them if they're on now. As someone posted, it was one of the main reasons I got cable in the late 90s. I stopped watching years ago and the odd episode I watched (and the film) were all terrible. Sadly, it's the ultimate case of jumping the shark.

Geeky moment, but Fat Tony has already died. He was replaced by his cousin Fit Tony. Who then got fat and became Fat Tony

:cornette:

What a shite story indicative of modern Simpsons.

jamboinglasgow

:cornette:

What a shite story indicative of modern Simpsons.

Yup I thought that was a joke from Southampton Jambo, but that just sums it up. A terrible joke, a terrible plot. If they are doing things like this (and Skinner plot from over 10 years ago) they should just stop.

Generic Username

The heavy reliance on playing up the "Ralph is a fool" card

Ramming in as many "star" appearances as possible per episode

Trying to do what South Park do and poke fun at pop culture (but doing it terribly)

Having as many storylines going on in one episode as possible

Ending episodes with a dance sequence

These are just some of the reasons why The Simpsons is beyond chronic now. It's infuriating how gash it's become. The episode where Lisa gets a pony was on the other night, a classic Simpson's episode. Solid storyline, great gags every 6-8 seconds (something The Simpsons used to do so well back in it's golden era) and a feel good but not too cheesy ending. Then right after it was the Lady Gaga episode.

HAHAHAHA LADY GAGA WEARS BIG SHOES HAHAHAHA SHE JUST DID A FUNNY DANCE HAHAHAHAHAHA SHES WEARING EVEN BIGGER SHOES NOW AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THE TRAIN IS FUNNY LOOKING HAHAHAHAHAHA THEY JUST SLIPPED IN SOME LADY GAGA SONGS THERE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LADY GAGA LADY GAGA LADY GAGA LADY GAGA

I hate The Simpsons now. I hate it more than kids in the 70s hated seeing Jimmy Saville's caravan parking up in their drive.

Matthew Le Tissier

Just for the record i hated that Skinner episode.

Best 1 for me is the Chilli Cook off. Homer loses the plot after having a super hot chilli

The guest appearances have long since reached overkill.

There's apparently an episode with a guest appearance from the bloke who invented the crossword. And the Brazilian Ronaldo. Seriously.

Just for the record i hated that Skinner episode.

Best 1 for me is the Chilli Cook off. Homer loses the plot after having a super hot chilli

That is a classic - Johnny Cash is in it as well :)

"Sorry - I am a coyote" :lol:

The guest appearances have long since reached overkill.

There's apparently an episode with a guest appearance from the bloke who invented the crossword. And the Brazilian Ronaldo. Seriously.

What about the Irish Messi?

What about the Irish Messi?

:rofl: :rofl:

The Ronaldo episode was gash and the cameo was far worse, one of those where you can tell he can't actually do a voiceover at all, and was just a limp cameo from the start.

South Park movie on right now. The bit with the Canadian Minister defending Brian Adams. Hilarious.

South Park and the Simpsons were both once witier. They are less so. But South Park is holding it together better than the Simpsons.

South Park movie on right now. The bit with the Canadian Minister defending Brian Adams. Hilarious.

South Park and the Simpsons were both once witier. They are less so. But South Park is holding it together better than the Simpsons.

South Park movie is terrible I love South Park but that was so bad.

South Park movie is terrible I love South Park but that was so bad.

I think it's the greatest musical of all time. Some brilliant songs in there