"Never meet your heroes"

:shitwine:

This saying is used quite a lot, as to say you might be disappointed and lose respect for someone you worship after meeting them. Has anyone had any negative experiences of meeting heroes?

Luckily for me, my biggest hero growing up was John Robertson, and he is a top bloke in person :)

Met Rudi Skacel the night of 5-1. As you can imagine, he was a top boy.

So did I, outside a resteraunt at the start of Dalry Road. I wanted to get a photo with him but there was some guy hanging off him getting his own pics, wasn't you I suppose? :2thumbsup:

Can hardly remember anything about it though as I needed the photographs on my phone to try and piece together that night.

The People's Chimp

So did I, outside a resteraunt at the start of Dalry Road. I wanted to get a photo with him but there was some guy hanging off him getting his own pics, wasn't you I suppose? :2thumbsup:

Can hardly remember anything about it though as I needed the photographs on my phone to try and piece together that night.

Na. I was polishing his left boot in the Gorgie suite.

:verysmug:

...a bit disco

Met Matthew Le Tisser a few times and has always been a gent if not a wee bit shy

He was probably terrified.

Did you have you mum with you?

Met Robbo in my dad's boozer just before the world cup in 1998.

He told me that he'd be supporting England and I should to. Couldn't bring myself to agree with him although it's the only time in my life i've ever been starstruck.

I also asked him if he's ever supported Hibs and he said absolutely not. Told me that he supported Liverpool if anyone as a kid.

Finally, he said that he was going to be considering an offer to play for Hibs if Hearts didn't give him the right deal and that being a footballer was his job and he'll play for whoever pays his wages. He was a great guy and very friendly.

A hero and a legend.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have met people, who I wouldn't say they were heroes more people I respect, at book signings, talks etc. To some it is just part of what they do to meet the public but one person who stood out for me was the late Patrick Moore who seemed really interested to talk to me and the others that were there.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I met the Duke of Edinburgh in March.

He was as excellent as you would imagine.

You last met him in March. The marriage must be a bit ropey then. :toff:

Matthew Le Tissier

He was probably terrified.

Did you have you mum with you?

Your a strange guy :lol:

And no i had my auld man

...a bit disco

Your a strange guy :lol:

And no i had my auld man

You ain't clicked yet, have you?

;)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I've met...

Gullit, Barry McGuigan, valdas Ivanauskas, he Hungarian slaver, Robbie Coltrane...

The only one who was a bit of a tut was Coltrane.

I'm still yet to meet Neil MacFarlane.

One day. :(

Met him. Got a photo as well capturing the moment :verysmug:

He's as much of a top bloke as you'd expect :thumbsup:

I traveled to Donnington in 88 mainly to see Guns n Roses, forward to 2006, met Axle Rose at Download. what a knobhead :(

probably pissed off you can't spell his name.

The only famous person I've met who wasn't pleasant was Craig Levein. I've met him at least three times and one of the times he was a prick.

Met Turbo B from Snap yesterday.

His English was shit and I got well bored of his patter.

As in 'Rhythm is a Dancer' ? Should have badgered him as to whether he still had the power, though he'd just have got bored with that patter and sat on you.

I suppose the closest I've got are Joseph Heller and Sir Jackie Stewart. Luckily both through work things so actually got the chance to chat to them as opposed to a few words in a boozer or whatever.

Rudi Skacel, Paul Hartley and Jim Jefferies all came across very well in my brief encounters with them.

Csaba Laszlo is my cult hero and another top guy. Had a very amusing conversation with him before a derby at ER a couple of years back.

Met him again at my work about a year ago and it was actually him that recognised me. :lol:

Came right upto me and started gabbing away like he was my best pal. Great bloke and loves the Hearts too.

NotVincentGuerain

only on twitter. i agree- never meet your heroes. cos when you find out they are daft humans like the rst of us, it can be sore.

but, it makes you realise there are better heroes, and you have yet to realise it.

Met all of the guys from Machine Head after a gig in 2004.

They were incredibly drunk but they were very friendly and were happy to pose for pictures :)

Guest GhostHunter

I met Greg Norman at an Open in St Andrews - he was always my golfing hero - but when I went up to him with my dad to get his autograph he told both of us to "**** off" - my dad obviously objected to the language (I was only 12) and the torrent of abuse we then got was quite frankly shocking. He was pulled away by I presume his caddy..

He's been dead to me ever since.

Great White Shark, aye ?

Great Big Shite more like.

I met Greg Norman at an Open in St Andrews - he was always my golfing hero - but when I went up to him with my dad to get his autograph he told both of us to "**** off" - my dad obviously objected to the language (I was only 12) and the torrent of abuse we then got was quite frankly shocking. He was pulled away by I presume his caddy..

He's been dead to me ever since.

Great White Shark, aye ?

Great Big Shite more like.

Funnily enough, we were talking about famous people we'd met at work a few weeks ago and one of my colleagues said almost exactly the same thing.

It was at an open at Troon and he asked Norman for an autograph and was yelled and sworn at in response.

Guest GhostHunter

Funnily enough, we were talking about famous people we'd met at work a few weeks ago and one of my colleagues said almost exactly the same thing.

It was at an open at Troon and he asked Norman for an autograph and was yelled and sworn at in response.

He's clearly a lovely man, and a joy to be around.

:D

scott herbertson

Met a few . Used to meet them when they came to switch on the Christmas lights at my work some nice, somenot nice. Toyah Willcox very nice - had time to speak to the staff doing the catering etc.

Gary Oldman's been in a lot recently and has talked to many of the staff who work for me - apparently a very nice guy. For the same reason (filming) Jonathan Miller.

The author of the Lovejoy books (Jonathan gash) was a brilliant guy - did a talk for free, spent time with the people afterwards, offered to come back., despite being a surgeon in his real work and writing the books in his spare time. Great stories he told - a very funny man.

At the height of the fame of the Morse series, Colin Dexter a top bloke. He was doing a talk at University of London I arranged and had his minders with him - he misdirected them by getting them to get him food and drink in the cafe, winked at me, and slipped off with another author (Mike Ripley who worked for the Beer association or whatever its called) . When his rather nice female minder came back she asked me where Colin was - I explained that he had gone off with Ripley at which point she gave me a look of sheer panic, and her and the other minder sprinted for the door to do a search of the local pubs.

His talk was on two hours later and about one minute to the hour he stumbled back in with Ripley - gave a great,scurrilous talk too.

Another time at a convention at Nottingham I had a stall selling books and Dexter came up and chatted to me - A young tv reporter with a camera rudely butted in and started asking him for an interview. Dexter replied "sorry, but I have an appointment with a close friend at the bar downstairs". The TV reporter fell for it and asked if it was anyone famous. Dexter said "Don't know, but I'm sure there will be someone down there".

Chad Sexington

You missed out that he was putting for a birdie at the time. :glare:

Peter MacKay. Gary's Dad, introduced me to my first Hearts hero Alan Anderson and he bought me a pint. I was telling the Wee Fella this because he asked me if I remembered him and he is friends with Alan's Granddaughter. A couple of weeks later the Wee Fella comes up to me and hands me his phone. There is a picture of Alan Anderson at his 80th raising a pint and the Wee Fella said "Alan says cheers". It made my week.

There was at least 25 years between the 2 events.

Used to do the Hearts youth games for the site and help with the first games as well.

Covered one game where I travelled with the team on the bus. Included in the squad for the first time since I'd did the youth games was Eggert Jonsson because he was in the first team quite a bit. A few weeks later he was the post match interview after a game at Celtic Park. While he was doing the press conference I could see him looking over at me and knew he was wondering where he recognised me from. Fast forward another couple of weeks and I'm in WhyNot with my pals when Eggert walks over to me and says "I recognise you", which I found quite ironic given he was the famous one of the two of us.

I'd spoked to Ryan McGowan quite often and came over just after and filled Eggert in on the details, then they introduced me to a couple of other players that were out that night, including Berra and Driver and I think maybe one more but I can't quite remember, maybe Stephen Husband.

All of them were sound and friendly, except Berra, but in fairness he was wrecked and concentrating on the burd that was around his arm.

Also, while this was going on, I turned back to my pals only to find them talking to Clayton Donaldson!

I once did an interview with Jurassic Five and ended up smoking a... er... as my gran puts it 'funny Silk Cut' with them and then going out drinking with them after their gig in Glasgow. Chali 2na is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

met almost all the Hearts players over the years and most were good lads

also met Prince,Van Morrison,Billy Bragg,Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello who were all good company despite having a bit of a reputation

Met Henry Smith in hospitality a few years ago, it was a horrible experience!

He was a gent but I was a bumbling wreck trying to talk to him!

Met Peter Hook at the Arches in Glasgow at a signing for his Hacienda book. We had an uproarious conversation about the spelling of Steven and how Stephen Morris used to hate getting his name spelt incorrectly. I could only grunt my agreement. A shared moment that we'll both carry to our grave.

I've never met Frankie Boyle but he's clearly met me, as a mate of mine got me his book as a present which he signed with "Happy Birthday, 35 years of being a c***".

Archived