Soup

DG_HMFC

Has anyone got a decent recipe for Carrot and Coriander, usually buy the fresh carton of the shelf in Sainsbury (its not bad actually) but would prefer to do my own.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redm

• DG_HMFC

• NotVincentGuerain

• Ray Gin

Just polished off a steaming bowl of New England Clam Chowder. Made it yesterday and it always seems to taste better on the 2nd day.

Has anyone got a decent recipe for Carrot and Coriander, usually buy the fresh carton of the shelf in Sainsbury (its not bad actually) but would prefer to do my own.

Sure.

Get some carrots.

Get some coriander.

Put in soup.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe some tattie soup for the week ahead. Going to attempt baking my own bread, should be fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Say What Again

Made this red lentil, chickpea and chilli last week. It was delicious and so easy to make, itt will definitely be a regular for me now.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/333614/red-lentil-chickpea-and-chilli-soup

I didn't bother with the coriander or yoghurt to serve, and put the chickpeas in before blending.

fabienleclerq

I make ten litres at work so you can downsize to make how much you want!!

One large onion diced finely

4 garlic cloves.finely chopped.

Ten litre bucket of carrots! Top/tailed peeled and quartered.

2tbsp of ground cumin

500mls fresh orange juice

Enough stock to cover the carrots.

Bunch of coriander.

Sweat of the onions in a little olive oil over a medium heat, after two minutes add the garlic stirring constantly. Once it's all soft add the cumin for a minute before adding the carrots, stir thoroughly to coat the carrots. Add the orange juice and cook for another 2/3 minutes over a high heat. Cover the veg in stock and cook till the carrots are cooked. Season to taste and add coriander(stalks and all) and finely blend.

Barry!

Just made a cracker of a soup for lunch.

• half a red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper, finely chopped
  • 2x charlotte potato diced
  • handful of green beens, trimmed and chopped
  • 100g kidney beans
  • Chorizo sausage (approx 100g) chopped into little pieces
  • 200g chopped tomatoes
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • creme fraiche
  • jalapenos
  • red chilli

Sweat the red onions over a medium heat in a little oil for a couple of minutes.

Add the chopped red pepper and cook for another minute or so, giving it a stir as you go.

Add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, green beans and diced potatoes and give it another good stir.

Bring to boil, then leave simmering while you fry your chorizo

Once the chorizo is fried, set it aside.

After the soup has simmered for around 10 minutes, give it a blend. I only gave it a quick blend as I like some chunky bits to remain.

After the blending, bung in your chorizo, some sliced jalapenos (from a jar), the red chilli and the kidney beans.

Bring back to the boil and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes or so, giving it a stir every few minutes.

Add a couple of dollops of creme fraiche, stir it in.

Voli?!

• 10 months later...

Bump.

That time of year again.

Got a pot of chicken and rice on the stove this week.

Tremendous.

Bump.

That time of year again.

Got a pot of chicken and rice on the stove this week.

Tremendous.

My mother makes great chicken and rice soup, but it never works for me when I try it. Any top tips?

My mother makes great chicken and rice soup, but it never works for me when I try it. Any top tips?

Don't know how big a pot you use? I use what is more like a caserole pot for making soups...

I fill the pot about 1/4 full(you will need more water, but better to add instead of having too much to start with), add your salt and just over half mug of rice, then bring it to the boil. Whilst the water is heating I chop up 3 leaks. I then like to rip each piece of leak in half when putting it in the pot. Add your stock (I use 2 knorr chicken stock pots). Get another pot and boil your chicken (I use 3 chicken breasts) until cooked. when it's cooked, take the chicken out and leave it to cool enough before shredding it, or you will melt your fingers tips :lol: by this point the big pot is boiling away nicely and is pretty much cooked, so you can add your shredded chicken and take it off the heat.

All of this ingredients is based on a huge pot, so make sure you measure the rice accordingly or you will have more of a chowder than a soup, which isn't really a bad thing ;)

The Godfather

that is exactly what happens to me.( i usually add soya sauce to make it look like the photos) i dunno what the french do.

Fry for circa 45 mins with greaseproof paper over pan. No time shortcuts that I have found, afraid.

Don't know how big a pot you use? I use what is more like a caserole pot for making soups...

I fill the pot about 1/4 full(you will need more water, but better to add instead of having too much to start with), add your salt and just over half mug of rice, then bring it to the boil. Whilst the water is heating I chop up 3 leaks. I then like to rip each piece of leak in half when putting it in the pot. Add your stock (I use 2 knorr chicken stock pots). Get another pot and boil your chicken (I use 3 chicken breasts) until cooked. when it's cooked, take the chicken out and leave it to cool enough before shredding it, or you will melt your fingers tips :lol: by this point the big pot is boiling away nicely and is pretty much cooked, so you can add your shredded chicken and take it off the heat.

All of this ingredients is based on a huge pot, so make sure you measure the rice accordingly or you will have more of a chowder than a soup, which isn't really a bad thing ;)

Damn, that's pretty much what I do word for word. Christ knows what she does to make it better than me. It's some kind of old wifie soup ninja thing they all have.

Damn, that's pretty much what I do word for word. Christ knows what she does to make it better than me. It's some kind of old wifie soup ninja thing they all have.

I use more veg than just leeks, maybe your mother does too ? The rest of it is pretty similar though. I start with chopping carrott and onion and softening them in the casserole pan ( don't brown them ) approx 6-7 mins, probably a bay leaf in there too, ( and you could be using celery, garlic and thyme at this bit too ), Then 2 parts chicken stock, one part water. bring to the boil. Add the chicken and rice ( long grain white rice ) season and simmer for 30 mins until the chicken is tender. I agree about the shredded chick. couple of breasts chopped up and dropped in to a pan of boiling water until there cooked through and then shred them with some forks or however you want to do it. I'm not sure there's a right and wrong way to do these kind of things. I can't make soup as good as my mother either though, so what would I know?

Say What Again

I use more veg than just leeks, maybe your mother does too ? The rest of it is pretty similar though. I start with chopping carrott and onion and softening them in the casserole pan ( don't brown them ) approx 6-7 mins, probably a bay leaf in there too, ( and you could be using celery, garlic and thyme at this bit too ),

That's more like mine. Carrots and onions go in with the leeks, along with a bay leaf and mixed herbs. I tend to use leftover roast chicken, but boil the chicken breasts on occasion.

Captain Price

• 100g kidney beans
  • 200g chopped tomatoes
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • creme fraiche
  • jalapenos
  • red chilli

Sweat the red onions over a medium heat in a little oil for a couple of minutes.

Add the chopped red pepper and cook for another minute or so, giving it a stir as you go.

Add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, green beans and diced potatoes and give it another good stir.

After the soup has simmered for around 10 minutes, give it a blend. I only gave it a quick blend as I like some chunky bits to remain.

After the blending, bung in your chorizo, some sliced jalapenos (from a jar), the red chilli and the kidney beans.

Bring back to the boil and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes or so, giving it a stir every few minutes.

Voli?!

Trying this tonight :thumbsup:

Malcolm Tucker

This thread just encouraged me to buy some soup from the shop at work.

Absolutely rigid-daft for soup.

Captain Price

• 100g kidney beans
  • 200g chopped tomatoes
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • creme fraiche
  • jalapenos
  • red chilli

Voli?!

Trying this tonight :thumbsup:

I've made it and have to say it's very delicious.

I left out the jalape?os as I don't like it too spicy, but added some chilli flakes instead.

The Real Maroonblood

This thread just encouraged me to buy some soup from the shop at work.

Absolutely rigid-daft for soup.

I don't like tinned or carton soup.

I'm lucky that my wife is a an excellent cook and makes great soup.

Tattie soup today with some home baked bread - I love this time of year :P

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this one back up to the top and then going for a damn good reading of its contents.

Soup season begins in my household today...but what to make?

Last season's favourite was definitely the red pepper and chorizo recipe provided by some kind soul on this thread.

This year I want to try out some oriental soups if poss, plus perfect the ultimate broth. I have soup season KPIs :)

Simple lentil soup.

2 carrots

half small suede

half leek

large white onion

1parsnip

2 cloves garlic

1 celery stick

2 tea spoons curry powder

salt and pepper

ham stock cube

bolied water

lentils.

Sweat finely chopped vegtables and garlic in a little in a little oil.

Add salt and pepper

Add curry powder and fry off

Add litre water and ham stock, bring to boil, simmer for 20 mins.

Add lentils (approx 60 grams) for 30 - 45 mins.

Change water / lentil quantities dependent on thickness you want.

Blitz with hand held blender

Magic

Edited by DETTY29

Oh, and any tried and tested wild mushroom soup recipes would be much appreciated. Never managed to mushroom properly either.

Edit: Just saw my own (almost identical posts) from a year ago, I had forgotten about the soup bible. Quick search on work laptop and up it pops. Fantastic.

Edited by redm

made this last week, superb and easy as well :thumbsup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thaiinspirednoodleso_92377.pdf

bbc.co.uk/food

Simple Thai noodle soup

Ingredients

1 good knob fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped

1-2 red chillies, seeds removed (optional), roughly chopped

1-2 stalks lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, roughly chopped

2-3 garlic cloves, peeled

1 handful fresh coriander, a few sprigs reserved and chopped

a glug or two vegetable oil

1 tbsp coriander seeds

1-2 pinches ground turmeric

small jug vegetable stock

a couple of handfuls rice noodles

1 x 400ml/14fl oz can coconut milk

1 large handful raw, peeled tiger prawns (the shells and heads can be

reserved for making stock in another recipe)

a few splashes Thai fish sauce, to taste

Preparation method

Blend the ginger, chilli, lemongrass, garlic and coriander in a food

processor until quite finely chopped, adding a little vegetable oil if the

paste is too dry.

Add the paste to a large shallow pan and cook for a few minutes to

release the aromas, stirring frequently. Roughly crush some

coriander seeds with a pestle and mortar and add to the paste with a

pinch or two of turmeric and the vegetable stock and simmer for a

few minutes.

Meanwhile, pour some boiling water over the rice noodles in a bowl

and let them sit until they have softened, about 4-5 minutes, then

drain and set aside.

To soften the heat of the sauce, add the coconut milk to the pan and

bring back to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes

while you devein the prawns by cutting along the back of the prawn

with a small sharp knife and removing the black 'thread' using the

point of the knife. Add the prawns to the pan and cook for 2-3

minutes, or until pink and tender, finishing off with splashes of Thai

fish sauce, to taste, and more chopped fresh coriander, to your taste.

To serve, divide the drained noodles between two bowls and ladle

over the aromatic soup with the prawns and serve straightaway.

Chicken, scallops or mushrooms are a great alternative to the

prawns.

I've made it and have to say it's very delicious.

I left out the jalape?os as I don't like it too spicy, but added some chilli flakes instead.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'd actually forgotten all about this soup - might get a batch on the go this weekend.

The People's Chimp

Quite a fan of Jamie Oliver's chickpea and spinach soup with a few tweaks. I leave out the chorizo most of the time, throw in a few chopped chillies and so on. But the general idea and ingredients work really well. Its amazing.

All the classics as well; lentil, chicken broth, scotch broth, minestrone...

Quite a fan of Jamie Oliver's chickpea and spinach soup with a few tweaks. I leave out the chorizo most of the time, throw in a few chopped chillies and so on. But the general idea and ingredients work really well. Its amazing.

All the classics as well; lentil, chicken broth, scotch broth, minestrone...

Funnily enough, after some deliberation the other half decided he wanted pea and spinach so I might do a soupy mash up of the two recipes. Will report back on findings. ;)

Made Green Pea & Spinach soup last night and aside from the fact it's unfortunately very green, I was pretty happy with it.

The recipe is from the Soup Bible - it's very light so if you like a more hearty soup I'd add in extra peas and also up the bacon and cabbage.

Mace is apparently nutmeg rather than pepper spray/teargas by the way, just in case you wondered.

Green Pea Soup with Spinach

This lovely green soup was invented

by the wife of a seventeenth-century

British member of parliament, and

it has stood the test of time.

INGREDIENTS

Serves 6

generous 3 cups shelled fresh or

frozen peas

1 leek, finely sliced

2 garlic cloves, crushed

2 bacon slices, finely diced

11/4 quarts ham or chicken stock

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup shredded fresh spinach

1/3 cup finely shredded white cabbage

liz small lettuce, finely shredded

1 celery stalk, minced

a large handful of parsley, minced

liz carton cress

4 teaspoons chopped fresh mint

a pinch of ground mace

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 Put the peas, leek, garlic, and

bacon in a large saucepan.

Add the stock and bring to a boil.

Lower the heat and simmer for

20 minutes.

2 About 5 minutes before the

pea mixture is ready, heat the

oil in another large saucepan.

" Add the spinach, cabbage, J lettuce, celery and herbs to the

skillet. Cover and sweat over low

heat until soft.

4 Transfer the pea mixture to a

blender or food processor and

process until smooth. Add to the

sweated vegetables and herbs and

heat through. Season with mace,

salt and pepper and serve.

• 1 month later...

Pea and Ham for me this week. Some home made bread, too, makes the place smell like heaven.

• 1 year later...

The wife's making a big pan o lentil, love picking the meat of the ham hough nearly as much as the soup itsel!!

Chicken noodle all the way for me. Like to spice it up a bit with some steak pepper dry seasoning that works wonders in pepping it up a bit! Add loads of extra mushrooms, spaghetti and potato as well for lumpiness!!!

Homemade soup, mmmmmmm, I'm starving.

Ham hock or ham ribs in a nice broth.

She hates me when she makes soup, cause i like it watery.