Soup

DG_HMFC

As the soup weather is coming back in, and fast, what's everyone's favourite? I'm making a smoked ham broth this week to get me back into the swing of things - can't beat this time of year.

:bucktooth:

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redm

• DG_HMFC

• NotVincentGuerain

• Ray Gin

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Magic, I like to make some on a Sunday that does me for lunches for the week

Carrot and Leek is a favourite of mine

also Roasted Butternut Squash or Curried Parsnip

My sister got me "The Soup Bible" couple Christmas ago, lots of wee ideas in there

Whatever I make, I like to make it hot with some chilli or curry powder, nothing nicer on a winters day than a hot soup to look forward to at lunch

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

My mother bought me a soup kettle a month or so ago. Possibly the greatest invention of all time

l_13878610.jpg

For what it's worth, Parsnip soups are the best. Curried or Apple in particular

The Mighty Thor

Lentil made with a ham hough. Soup for starter and then the hough with cabbage and mashed tatties after. Lovely!

Edited by The Mighty Thor

Soup season arrives exactly at the same time as scarf season and Bovril season. Love it. :)

Made spicy tomato and basil the other weekend, I have a real difficulty making anything tomato based without chucking in either chilli or cayenne these days. I'll be back on soup duty this weekend I reckon.

Anyway:

Spicy Tomato & Basil

Chopped tomatoes

Tomato puree

Oregano

Garlic

Red onion (soften them up first in olive oil and/or butter)

Sugar

Salt/cracked black pepper

Cayenne if you like a kick

Worcestershire sauce (again, I like a kick!)

Stock

Water

Fresh chopped basil (add this when soup is done and you're blending it up)

Eat with cheese toasties. It's the law. :thumbsup:

Edited by redm

Love it... last week I had Winter vegetable, cauliflower & broccoli, Spiced carrot & lentil.

Going to make Yellow split pea & French Onion this week.

The nicest soup I have ever had was blue cheese with caramelised onion from First Coast in Dalry. What I would do to get that recipe.

My favourite soup is probably my mum's ham and lentil. I've made it loads of times now but it's never quite as good. :angry:

This winter I shall be perfecting my wild mushroom soup and french onion.

Might try and get down a broccoli/cauliflower soup too. The ones I've made in the past have always been just that bit too thick - needed a knife and fork to get through them. :)

My mother bought me a soup kettle a month or so ago. Possibly the greatest invention of all time

l_13878610.jpg

After reading the reviews of this on Amazon that my friend looks da bomb. Ordered.

l_13878610.jpg

Have to get myself one of those, looks brilliant.

Havent stopped making soup this year.Vegetable this week with a sliced fennel bulb for a wee change.I really enjoy Sunday afternoons making my soup and appreciate the recipes posted here.As far as I,m concerned anything goes with soup.

Very encouraging that as many people continue to make home made soup.Just bought my lassie a big pot and a drum of Marigold stock powder now that shes in her own flat.

l_13878610.jpg

Is it true about the starchy soups? If so, I'm best avoiding!

Regal Kingston

Love making soup - anybody reading thinking that they might get into it should head down the shops and get the big pot oot!

Recently followed a Nigel Slater recipe fr Butternut Sqaush soup which was very easy;

One butternut squash

one big onion

tablespoon of paprika

veg stock (about 500ml)

Peel the squash and keep the shavings as croutons which will crisp up in the oven

Chop the quash (removing the seeds)

Sweat with onion and a little olive oil then add the stock and blend.

season to your liking.

Neilson's Shank

Maxed out on green pea and ham last winter, give it a break for a while it will be chicken broth to the fore this year. Say it silently but my wife's is nearly as good as my mothers and that is a high standard. :2thumbsup:

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

This thread is making me hungry

Its pure baltic today even here in Jersey I'm tempted to pick up some veg on the way home and make a wee soup, although having said that the Mrs said she'll make a thai curry the night :pleasing:

Just made my first batches of winter. One of roasted red pepper and chorizo and the other of cabbage and noodle miso.

Ooh, can you share recipes for these please?

Templeton Peck

Ooh, can you share recipes for these please?

Chop red peppers and roast in oven with some olive oil. Meanwhile chop onion, garlic and chorizo and sweat them in a pan. Add chicken stock, red peppers and a can of chopped tomatoes, and bring to boil. Whizz it up and add a some single cream. Hey presto!

For the miso, bought some of it in Tesco. Used the 5 sachets in a pot of boiling water. I had soba noodles leftover and used them with a chopped up cabbage, carrot and mushrooms. It looked a bit thin so I added a splash of soy sauce and chucked in a few baby corn left over from last nights tea.

I had seen this online which was the inspiration...

http://www.chow.com/...-udon-miso-soup

Edited by Templeton Peck

Anyone got a decent recipe for a chinese-style chicken noodle soup? (NAE sweetcorn!).

Also any recipes that use sweet potatoes?

Otherwise I'll stick to the tried and tested that I always make.

Lionel did you try my sweet potato and chorizo one. Think I gave the recipe last year

No, I was quite boring/predictable in my soup making last year, need to get a bit more adventurous!

Say What Again

Anyone got a decent recipe for a chinese-style chicken noodle soup? (NAE sweetcorn!).

There's a decent one on BBC Good Food that I made a good while back.

in fact, as I always say on these recipe threads, look no further then that site. At the very least bookmark it and use it as a starting point. Hunners of cracking and unusual soups on there. I'm sure I made bacon, cabbage and cheese (maybe?) soup from there. It was excellent.

The White Cockade

when I lived in Cape Town a bowl of butternut squash soup from one of the market stalls during the winter was mega

I like potato soup, cream of tomato soup, lentil soup, pea soup

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Also any recipes that use sweet potatoes?

Otherwise I'll stick to the tried and tested that I always make.

I use a Jamie Oliver recipe for Thai soup with prawns but interchangeable with chicken

Ingredients (quantity based on 2 people large portions):

1 Chicken breast(sliced)/6 king Prawns (sliced)

lemongrass-1 stalk

ginger-2 cm

chilli, red 1 medium/large

garlic-2 bulbs

spring onion-4/5 medium

coriander-medium bunch

lime-3/4 for juice and wedges

beansprouts-small handful

glass noodles

stock (chix or fish)

fish sauce/soy sauce

heat stock and add the lemongrass sticks (i.e. cut stalk in half)

add finely chopped garlic and ginger, and half of finely chopped chillis to the stock

add fish/soy sauce splash to stock

steam the beansprouts and leave to cool

finely slice the spring onion and add to roughly chopped coriander stalks and all

toss spring onion, coriander, beansprouts and remaining chilli in a bowl and squeeze some lime juice over it

if using prawns just add to the stock for few minutes to cook, if chicken pre poach it to ensure its cooked

discard lemongrass, add glass noodles to the stock, turn off heat and leave to stand for 5 mins

squuze some more lime juice over the soup, season to taste (add more fish/soy sauce if necessary too) then place the prawns/chicken and noodles into bowls and ladle some broth over, add a handful of the coriander etc salad over the top and serve with lime wedge.

:thumbsup:

l_13878610.jpg

Bought one of these from Costco a wee while back.

Great piece of kit.

Here's one I've made before. Rather tasty:

http://allrecipes.co...orizo-soup.aspx

Chop red peppers and roast in oven with some olive oil. Meanwhile chop onion, garlic and chorizo and sweat them in a pan. Add chicken stock, red peppers and a can of chopped tomatoes, and bring to boil. Whizz it up and add a some single cream. Hey presto!

For the miso, bought some of it in Tesco. Used the 5 sachets in a pot of boiling water. I had soba noodles leftover and used them with a chopped up cabbage, carrot and mushrooms. It looked a bit thin so I added a splash of soy sauce and chucked in a few baby corn left over from last nights tea.

I had seen this online which was the inspiration...

http://www.chow.com/...-udon-miso-soup

Smashing, thanks.

Red pepper and chorizo it is this weekend then. I shall report back ;)

I like the idea of soup but I get bored of it halfway through. The consistency & eating methods are too repetitive.

That's the sort of problem easily fixed by adding a toastie to the equation.

Probably cheese based.

Cheddar cheese toastie for tomato based soups, gruyere/emmental or similar for french onion or whatnot. Make a substantial meal out of it. :thumbsup:

I like to throw in wee bits of raw garlic. The flavour seems to permeate the soup.

Dried rosemary and basil through it.

I'm trying to find stocks that don't involve a lot of salt. I think herbs and spices are the way to avoid salt.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

I like to throw in wee bits of raw garlic. The flavour seems to permeate the soup

Another great method is to roast a few unpeeled garlic bulbs then squeeze out the garlic and add to the soup, adds a fantastic flavour

Another great method is to roast a few unpeeled garlic bulbs then squeeze out the garlic and add to the soup, adds a fantastic flavour

I was given a plate of chips in Madeira made with roasted unpeeles garlic and they were tremendous. I'll give that a whirl. :2thumbsup:

As the soup weather is coming back in, and fast, what's everyone's favourite? I'm making a smoked ham broth this week to get me back into the swing of things - can't beat this time of year.

:bucktooth:

That'll do for me mate ! The wife makes it, brilliant.

I was given a plate of chips in Madeira made with roasted unpeeles garlic and they were tremendous. I'll give that a whirl. :2thumbsup:

Were they coated in the garlic pre or post oven baking? I'm not even a massive chip fan but that sounds tremendous.

Add on some cracked black pepper....wow.....

The Great Khali

Mate, I've just made this soup and all I can say is. Wow. Even my mrs, who isn't the most adventurous when it comes to food, demolished a bowl :lol:

Cheers :thumbsup:

Were they coated in the garlic pre or post oven baking? I'm not even a massive chip fan but that sounds tremendous.

Add on some cracked black pepper....wow.....

Roasted with - among - the chips. Enough chips for two people and maybe a dozen cloves of garlic among them, with oregano on top. Spectacularly good. I ate them all myself, though, because of a prior falling out with my darling, faultless girlfriend.

Roasted with - among - the chips. Enough chips for two people and maybe a dozen cloves of garlic among them, with oregano on top. Spectacularly good. I ate them all myself, though, because of a prior falling out with my darling, faultless girlfriend.

You? Argumentative? I don't believe that... :whistling::biggrin:

So the garlic was roasted in amongst the chips. Right. So did you peel and then eat the cloves with the chips or did they just 'infuse' the potato or what?

I'm confused. (Am I being thick?)

You? Argumentative? I don't believe that... :whistling::biggrin:

So the garlic was roasted in amongst the chips. Right. So did you peel and then eat the cloves with the chips or did they just 'infuse' the potato or what?

I'm confused. (Am I being thick?)

It started because I said I wasn't going to argue back...

Anybody who doubts this can have a week in central Madrid with free accommodation and chips and soup prepared by Gorgiewave to see her and me and us. My image makeover, if you will.

Garlic infused in, not eaten. The taste gets around.