• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have this tag carerra... Stuck between a rolex submariner or an omega planet ocean next.... u8ysunad.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Go for the planet ocean. The GMT is lovely.

Im not a Rolex man. Some of their models are alright, but most scream 'look at me'.

The GMT:

0461363C-F22F-434E-BB4A-89A203D96780-1671-000001126B3B44F4_zpsd7a6865b.jpg

All roads lead to Gorgie

Quartz is more accurate than mechanical.

Get a quartz.

But think of the way the second hand sweeps round on a mechanical, its much better on the eye and unless you need to know the time down to the odd second is it really necessary to be so accurate. If a Mech is well looked after it should only lose or gain 30 seconds or so a day anyway. PS if you miss your train by half a min I will hold up my hand. Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

Go for the planet ocean. The GMT is lovely.

Im not a Rolex man. Some of their models are alright, but most scream 'look at me'.

The GMT:

0461363C-F22F-434E-BB4A-89A203D96780-1671-000001126B3B44F4_zpsd7a6865b.jpg

I do like that...

One of my mates just bought a daytona.. It's pretty special...

Edited by kingantti1874

But think of the way the second hand sweeps round on a mechanical, its much better on the eye and unless you need to know the time down to the odd second is it really necessary to be so accurate. If a Mech is well looked after it should only lose or gain 30 seconds or so a day anyway. PS if you miss your train by half a min I will hold up my hand.

30 seconds a day? Is that fairly normal for a mechanical watch? Wouldn't like my watch to lose that

All roads lead to Gorgie

30 seconds a day? Is that fairly normal for a mechanical watch? Wouldn't like my watch to lose that

That would be the max one way or the other. The mechanism winds the watch by your own movement so a normal fairly active person should keep it running smoothly but it may slow down slightly if the warer is more sedentary. Once you know your watch you can adjust it every other day or so. If it is badly out a horologist can re set the movement.

That would be the max one way or the other. The mechanism winds the watch by your own movement so a normal fairly active person should keep it running smoothly but it may slow down slightly if the warer is more sedentary. Once you know your watch you can adjust it every other day or so. If it is badly out a horologist can re set the movement.

That would put me off buying one TBH, I like my watch to be bang on and couldn't be bothered resetting it every other day, or if you haven't worn it for a week it could be out by 3 1/2 minutes

Another vote here for Citizen eco-drive. Runs on light (any light, not just sunlight) so does not need battery replacement. Perpetual calendar so no fannying around changing the date. Lots of styles to choose from and a proper genuine watch maker - what's not to like?

All roads lead to Gorgie

That would put me off buying one TBH, I like my watch to be bang on and couldn't be bothered resetting it every other day, or if you haven't worn it for a week it could be out by 3 1/2 minutes

If you didn't ware it for a week it would stop so they are not for everyone. I have a Seiko and a Rotary quarts watch as well and ware them on and off but the mechanical is the one I personally like wareing most.

Got a Tag Heuer 2000 Professional for my 40th and have worn it almost every day for the past 10 years. Never let me down.

Had always fancied a Breitling and decided to splash out on a Super Avenger for my 50th. Saved almost a grand by buying it at Watches of Switzerland in London Heathrow.

It's the only jewellery I wear, and it looks the dogs...

I have huge watch envy. I love my Seiko (appreciate it isn't up there with the rest on this thread but it was ?500 and I sourced it for just under ?300) but I've always coveted an Omega. Did say years ago I wanted one for my fortieth but now that's only four years away my bank balance doesn't look like it's gonna support that! :(

I have huge watch envy. I love my Seiko (appreciate it isn't up there with the rest on this thread but it was ?500 and I sourced it for just under ?300) but I've always coveted an Omega. Did say years ago I wanted one for my fortieth but now that's only four years away my bank balance doesn't look like it's gonna support that! :(

Seikos are good watches - particuarly the Grand Seikos. Look around, many jewellers do interest free for buying watches - you could get one now and have it paid off by the time your 40th arrives.

I've had a hankering for that watch for a while, it looks superb the classic railway clock face

It's the best looking watch on this thread. Clearly a man of good taste LL.

Glad to see there are some true admirers of the Mondaine, rather than slave to the brand :)

For those interested, prices start around 150 GBP and up, depending on model. I can't help but think that the one i pictured at 150 or so, is so damn good looking there's really no need to pay more for one (individual taste of course). I love mine and actually wear it as my posh watch now :)

Ps. if you think you've seen it before i refer you to the Apple alarm clock !!!!

Seiko's are great watches for the money; I really like the Monsters and 5s.

Omega have really jacked the prices up recently as the Swatch group (who own them) want to compete more with Rolex. But you can get some great second hand Omegas at decent prices as they don't hold their value like Rolexes do. There are lots of lovely 1950s/ 1960s Omega Seamasters knocking around and they're not too pricey - have a look on eBay.

Tag Monaco for me. Always wanted one, got it five years and still love it.

I absolutely love this one... Bit expensive though and pretty rare

qudejany.jpg

panu6y3u.jpg

e7amarum.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

If you are buying new from a shop , haggle over the price, the a mark up on watches is HUGE

Got 10% off mine just by asking - from Ernst Jones

Got 10% off mine just by asking - from Ernst Jones

Buy a flight to florida... My watch costs ?3200.. I bought mine for $2900 dollars... About ?1950 at the time

I've got a Chopard 18K gold classique- its a winder- had for 20 years with no hint of a bother. You could get a decent second hand one on ebay for cica ?2.5k. great watch, classical with a black crocodile strap. Tag Heuer- meh- car salesman timepiece

Daydream Believer

I recently-ish purchased an older SeaMaster after shopping around a bit. Was close to using http://www.fellows.co.uk/ - auctioneers website that has fairly regular auctions on classic timepieces. They have an IOS app you can put on iPhone/iPad (not looked to see if they do it for android) and then you can get the upcoming catalogues for auction. I think you can also look back at older auctions v actual prices realised for time pieces to give you an idea of what they sell for. From memory the Omegas I was looking at always went close to guide price..which seem set fairly reasonable.

Mind and read all the small print though regarding auctioneers % on final sale price etc.

They're really good. I was looking at a JLC Reverso they were selling and was working in London so stopped off at their showroom in Birmingham for their viewing on the way back. It was great, they buzz you through a few doors to get in, but then pretty much just let you get a good look at all the watches in the sale and are very helpful. I think that the prices are getting pretty close to retail now though. I can look through the catalogue and tell the ones that'll go for way over the estimate.

I agree about omega's, I started with one about 15 years ago and been through many different brands only to get back to them.

I have an automatic constelation right now that I bought off these guys (who are also very good - www.watchfinder.co.uk

And a seamaster that I bit the bullet and bought from e-bay, but unless you're 100% confident I would stay well away from e-bay, there are some horendous fakes, and even worse some really good ones on there.

**Just looked on Watchfinder and they've got a Tag 6000 on there now for ?475 with a 12 month waranty. If I was spending ?500 on a watch right now, I'd consider it.

Here it is http://watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20Heuer/6000%20series/WH1113-K1/3763/item/28873

Yeh, am meh about my tag.

Anyone know anything about Breitling? Am in Vegas right now and saw a very nice timepiece...

The Breitling Avenger is a great looking timepiece, and if you have a big wrist and forearm, the Super Avenger is the way to go. If you are going to buy a Breitling, make sure you use an authorised dealer, and you will get a better deal in duty free than US shop - depending on exchange rate and/or state taxes. Singapore was also much cheaper, but this would only work if you were passing through...

Yeh, am meh about my tag.

Anyone know anything about Breitling? Am in Vegas right now and saw a very nice timepiece...

Go for the super avenger.. Stunning watch.

It's next on my list. I have the omega planet ocean and love it! I also love th new Rolex oyster Daytona

One of my mates is a serious watch collector / enthusiast and he told me last week that if he had 5 grand to spend on a new watch, he'd get a Breitling.

Reckons they're top notch.

I am a huge fan of ther British brand, Bremont. This is their Victory model. ?11k so not for the faint hearted but one of the best looking watches around:

bremontvoctory_zpse2a3137a.jpg

Great thread! I'm hoping to get a watch next year. I'm after a Swiss automatic, Thoughts on any of these:

7924_733_7594_40_94_ls.png

2-025-03-0020.jpg

99956629_v_1357655055.jpg

a lot nicer than some o the shite on here

They're all nice watches. I'd go for the Longines as I don't like numbers on a watch face... but it would be nicer without the date. Just a plain face with as little as possible.

I think the Longines watch looks amazing - most expensive of my list though.

I've really just started to look so might come up with more. It has to be a classic design though.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Great thread! I'm hoping to get a watch next year. I'm after a Swiss automatic, Thoughts on any of these:

7924_733_7594_40_94_ls.png

2-025-03-0020.jpg

99956629_v_1357655055.jpg

I have an Oris original a bit like the first one except it has a silver face and metal strap. Good watch but all are good brands and as far as I know still independently owned companies.

• 4 weeks later...

In 10 months time I'm officially old!

For my 30th I've decided to get a good watch. Asking all my family for Goldsmiths vouchers this Christmas, as well as my birthday (obviously). It will all add up I guess.

Reason I'm using Goldsmiths is I'm saving up my Tesco Clubcard vouchers as you can get 3 x the value in Goldsmiths. Damn good deal IMO.

I guess that limits me to buying brand new, but the gift vouchers and clubcard vouchers will really help give me a decent budget. 2 to 3 thousand I'm prepared to spend.

I've always wanted a Breitling or a Tag Heuer for as long as I can remember. The Breitling I love, the Navitimer 01, is ?6770. So that's out the equation!

I would do really bad things for this watch.

1140x1140_fitbox-breitling_navitimer_world_chronograph_men_s_bracelet_watch_a2432212_b726.jpg

There's not really any other cheaper Breitling's I like. So it's Tag Heuer I will likely buy.

Despite being cheaper, I actually prefer the look of the Aquaracer to the Carrera. Can't put my finger on why, but Carrera just isn't as nice for me personally. I don't like the Formula 1.

I'm liking this Aquaracer, but can't decide if I like blue or black face? Thoughts? (?2295)

cap2110.ba0833.jpg

cap2112.ba0833-1_1.jpg

I've checked out Longines & Raymond Veil and there's nothing floating my boat. Same goes for Omega to be honest.

Rolex is obviously too expensive but man I like the Yachtmaster II. :lol:

Is there any watches you think I should look at that I've maybe missed?

Looking for a large-ish face. Well not small basically. Metal strap. I like a busy face. Probably partly why I love that Breitling.

Cheers

Edited by Sten Guns

Like it Sten.

If you're going to be spending that amount, get an automatic and make sure you get something that holds it's value.

I like the blue face on that one.

jack D and coke

In 10 months time I'm officially old!

For my 30th I've decided to get a good watch. Asking all my family for Goldsmiths vouchers this Christmas, as well as my birthday (obviously). It will all add up I guess.

Reason I'm using Goldsmiths is I'm saving up my Tesco Clubcard vouchers as you can get 3 x the value in Goldsmiths. Damn good deal IMO.

I guess that limits me to buying brand new, but the gift vouchers and clubcard vouchers will really help give me a decent budget. 2 to 3 thousand I'm prepared to spend.

I've always wanted a Breitling or a Tag Heuer for as long as I can remember. The Breitling I love, the Navitimer 01, is ?6770. So that's out the equation!

I would do really bad things for this watch.

1140x1140_fitbox-breitling_navitimer_world_chronograph_men_s_bracelet_watch_a2432212_b726.jpg

There's not really any other cheaper Breitling's I like. So it's Tag Heuer I will likely buy.

Despite being cheaper, I actually prefer the look of the Aquaracer to the Carrera. Can't put my finger on why, but Carrera just isn't as nice for me personally. I don't like the Formula 1.

I'm liking this Aquaracer, but can't decide if I like blue or black face? Thoughts? (?2295)

cap2110.ba0833.jpg

cap2112.ba0833-1_1.jpg

I've checked out Longines & Raymond Veil and there's nothing floating my boat. Same goes for Omega to be honest.

Rolex is obviously too expensive but man I like the Yachtmaster II. :lol:

Is there any watches you think I should look at that I've maybe missed?

Looking for a large-ish face. Well not small basically. Metal strap. I like a busy face. Probably partly why I love that Breitling.

Cheers

Sweet watch that mate. I wish i had the cash myself but i reckon id get the black face if i did.

Ive still not invested my ?500, i reckon im gonna put it off for a bit and try save for something a bit more like the one above.

Psychedelicropcircle

null_zpse0db2cf0.jpg

I've always fancied a cartier tank watch always considered them an elegant. Seen this one in a man mag thought how smart is this........only ?36k