Watches

jack D and coke

I’ve just seen an article about the fact that notorious egotistical tosspot Lewis Hamilton’s management team have just failed in a bid to stop Hamilton using the registered name Hamilton International as it may interfere with future products like watches and clothing he is looking to get involved in. 
That would be Hamilton who have been making watches since the 1890’s. Not very clever and also not very clever to try it with a company that is part of the Swatch Group so it’s not like they were trying to bully a small operation that couldn’t afford lawyers. 
I’ll enjoy wearing my Hamilton all the more now. 

Edited by Tazio

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just seen an article about the fact that notorious egotistical tosspot Lewis Hamilton’s management team have just failed in a bid to stop Hamilton using the registered name Hamilton International as it may interfere with future products like watches and clothing he is looking to get involved in. 
That would be Hamilton who have been making watches since the 1890’s. Not very clever and also not very clever to try it with a company that is part of the Swatch Group so it’s not like they were trying to bully a small operation that couldn’t afford lawyers. 
I’ll enjoy wearing my Hamilton all the more now. 

A bit of a depressing thing.  While the world is in shit,  to be associated with such a rancid piece of predatory greed should be a total embarrassment to him.  Wtf is wrong with people?

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

One day, maybe..........

2f6dbe9c0fd38a80ebe9e494e1d9efb0.jpg

It's a lot to spend on a watch in such a shan colour. 

Seymour M Hersh
59 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

It's a lot to spend on a watch in such a shan colour. 

Each to their own I suppose but I'm rather partial to maroon. 

52 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Each to their own I suppose but I'm rather partial to maroon. 

Fair play to you. Seems there's a lot of people think that anything and everything needs to be about football colours. Watches shouldn't come under this category.

been here before
13 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Just purchased this,wanted one for years and finally bit the bullet.

Screenshot_20210102-222949_1.jpg

Not a fan of Tags at all. Style over substance I always think.

That looks like an old petrol pump.

But then its not me whose bought it so if you like it then thats what matters.

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Fair play to you. Seems there's a lot of people think that anything and everything needs to be about football colours. Watches shouldn't come under this category.

Actually I don't think like this at all I just really like the watch and think it's different to most watches. I already have a submariner and it's not based on any football colours whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Fine taste, the best many would say. 

52 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Beauty in simplicity.

No matter where I look or what I look at, it always comes back to the Calatrava.  They are often sublime.  I told the story a few years ago on this thread of spotting a stunning Calatrava in a shop window while on my lunch break.  It was just stunning, with exactly the kind of simplicity that @NANOJAMBOis thinking about.  It was also more expensive than my car.  :laugh:

Come to think of it, the two Calatravas above are also (each) more expensive than my current car, so I won't be buying one any time soon.

@Tazio mentioned Longines earlier in the thread.  Here are a couple of fine examples (IMO, of course), with the kind of simplicity of the Calatravas but perhaps a touch more affordable.

longines-record-collection-l2-820-8-72-2

longines-the-longines-elegant-collection

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Actually I don't think like this at all I just really like the watch and think it's different to most watches. I already have a submariner and it's not based on any football colours whatsoever. 

You think you'll ever get one? I'd really a 38mm GP Laureato one day but it'll need to be at least ten years away after buying an Explorer last year.

Edit: finally managed to add pics.

Usually attracted to darker colours but really like the white/silver

maxresdefault.jpg

Girard-Perregaux-Laureato-Watch--e1529574843673.jpg

Edited by IronJambo

10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

No matter where I look or what I look at, it always comes back to the Calatrava.  They are often sublime.  I told the story a few years ago on this thread of spotting a stunning Calatrava in a shop window while on my lunch break.  It was just stunning, with exactly the kind of simplicity that @NANOJAMBOis thinking about.  It was also more expensive than my car.  :laugh:

Come to think of it, the two Calatravas above are also (each) more expensive than my current car, so I won't be buying one any time soon.

@Tazio mentioned Longines earlier in the thread.  Here are a couple of fine examples (IMO, of course), with the kind of simplicity of the Calatravas but perhaps a touch more affordable.

have you looked at omega seamaster 1948's?

10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Love the second pic. 

Seymour M Hersh
7 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You think you'll ever get one? I'd really a 38mm GP Laureato one day but it'll need to be at least ten years away after buying an Explorer last year.

maxresdefault.jpg

If I win millions on the lottery so probably not. :lol:

Carl Weathers
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Like the blue. I like the fact that only folk that are into watches know about GP.

In terms of very classically simple dress watches Hamilton do some very nice ones at affordable prices. Also their sister company Tissot. However they are sometimes a bit big. A classic dress watch should be less than 40mm and on a leather strap. For a more contemporary take on it I do like Nomos watches. 

16 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Beautiful watch. I can highly recommend the Tissot version of this. Classic style (not everyone's taste admittedly) and was my first 'expensive' watch at £190.00. 

59 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In terms of very classically simple dress watches Hamilton do some very nice ones at affordable prices. Also their sister company Tissot. However they are sometimes a bit big. A classic dress watch should be less than 40mm and on a leather strap. For a more contemporary take on it I do like Nomos watches. 

I was looking at Hamilton watches recently but found that all were too big for my pathetic wrists.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

I was looking at Hamilton watches recently but found that all were too big for my pathetic wrists.

The problem with the Hamilton’s isn’t the size as much as the length. Lug to lug they’re very long, I’ve got a nice Hamilton that’s a 41mm but about 50mm lug to lug. To compare I’ve got a couple of Orient dive watches that are 42mm that should be too big for me but are ok as the lug to lug is only about 47mm. I’ve got pretty small wrists as well and I’m not sure how much longer I’m going to persist with the Hamilton, it’s a great looking watch and I really like it but always have the nagging doubt it’s on the very limit of what I can get away with in terms of size. 

been here before
58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The problem with the Hamilton’s isn’t the size as much as the length. Lug to lug they’re very long, I’ve got a nice Hamilton that’s a 41mm but about 50mm lug to lug. To compare I’ve got a couple of Orient dive watches that are 42mm that should be too big for me but are ok as the lug to lug is only about 47mm. I’ve got pretty small wrists as well and I’m not sure how much longer I’m going to persist with the Hamilton, it’s a great looking watch and I really like it but always have the nagging doubt it’s on the very limit of what I can get away with in terms of size. 

Like Elvis, I dont mind a Hamilton. Got this a while back:

H70595523_1575401601.thumb.jpg.aecd462748af7051b8849b20e513d5d5.jpg

Edited by been here before

22 hours ago, weegranty said:

Should this not be on the wish.com thread?

22 hours ago, weegranty said:

That's a bloody big watch!

TAG-HEUER-MONACO-CALIBRE-11-FRANCE-EDITI

24 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Well that’s not very nice. Not my personal taste but a lot people love them and that’s all that matters really. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Or a damned skinny wrist. They do it in different sizes including a 38mm. 

I do like the Black one.

1506697165-5556.jpg

32 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Sorry,must have posted on the wrong thread,my mistake.☹️

4 minutes ago, weegranty said:

I don't like that colour.

Not keen on it myself, or the sparkly numbers.

43 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Well that’s not very nice. Not my personal taste but a lot people love them and that’s all that matters really. 

For about 2k it looks like something you find on a market stall. 

Just now, Herbert said:

For about 2k it looks like something you find on a market stall. 

Unless you know the history of watches and it’s an iconic design. Famously worn by Steve McQueen in the film  Le Mans. As I said not my bag but many like them. 

22 hours ago, Tazio said:

I concur. I've a 42mm Hamilton with a 50mm lug length. I thought it was fine until I got more into watches. I think I "just" get away with it but still. My 41mm Christopher Ward has just over a 47mm lug to lug, as does my Explorer. Both are resoundingly more wearable. I'll wear either of them, my G shock or my citizen before the Hamilton because I've become very conscious of its size. I'm not sure I've worn my Hammy since August.

14 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I concur. I've a 42mm Hamilton with a 50mm lug length. I thought it was fine until I got more into watches. I think I "just" get away with it but still. My 41mm Christopher Ward has just over a 47mm lug to lug, as does my Explorer. Both are resoundingly more wearable. I'll wear either of them, my G shock or my citizen before the Hamilton because I've become very conscious of its size. I'm not sure I've worn my Hammy since August.

I’m not in the situation where my Hamilton is only worn occasionally to give the movement a few days exercise to make sure it’s in good order. I’ve just checked out the price they are going for online so I think it will be getting flipped sometime soon. I fancy a Sinn so the money could go towards that. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’m not in the situation where my Hamilton is only worn occasionally to give the movement a few days exercise to make sure it’s in good order. I’ve just checked out the price they are going for online so I think it will be getting flipped sometime soon. I fancy a Sinn so the money could go towards that. 

I've considered moving mine on but I don't really need another watch to replace it and the cash it would bring in wouldn't really be meaningful to my life. 

That said, I'm constantly fighting the pointless want for another watch and I'd probably gladly swap it for one of these (38mm)

bn0118-12lcatalogue-1538070407-2025.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I clicked on an advert for William Wood watches on Instagram last week. Quite like them and it's a nice story, but I wonder buying one. Since then I am getting bombarded by adverts for random, shite, watch brands every time I am on Facebook. DMC Watches, Avi-8, Panzera, Larsson & Jennings, Tufina Watches...those are just the ones I have seen in a 30 second scroll. Doing my head in.

Just had to share my annoyance really.

Don't click on adverts.

13 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

I clicked on an advert for William Wood watches on Instagram last week. Quite like them and it's a nice story, but I wonder buying one. Since then I am getting bombarded by adverts for random, shite, watch brands every time I am on Facebook. DMC Watches, Avi-8, Panzera, Larsson & Jennings, Tufina Watches...those are just the ones I have seen in a 30 second scroll. Doing my head in.

Just had to share my annoyance really.

Don't click on adverts.

This is beginning to annoy me aswell.. 

I don't mind and advert or two(on Facebook) as I can just scroll on but it's getting ridiculous. I'm getting watch ads every 3 or 4 posts!

Just spent best part 15 minutes scrolling back and hiding/never see again various brands! 

Bet I do though.... 

I had a Monaco chrono ages ago.  They do wear big as lots of square cased watches do.  A better option if you want a smaller sized TAG Heuer is the Monza.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 20:09, IronJambo said:

I've considered moving mine on but I don't really need another watch to replace it and the cash it would bring in wouldn't really be meaningful to my life. 

That said, I'm constantly fighting the pointless want for another watch and I'd probably gladly swap it for one of these (38mm)

bn0118-12lcatalogue-1538070407-2025.jpg

That's a really nice watch. Do you mind if I ask you about sizes? I'm a complete beginner in this topic. If I have a 7" wrist would a 38mm be okay? The alternative would be a 41mm. 

1 hour ago, pablo said:

That's a really nice watch. Do you mind if I ask you about sizes? I'm a complete beginner in this topic. If I have a 7" wrist would a 38mm be okay? The alternative would be a 41mm. 

A lot is down to choice. The lug to lug distance means more in my opinion. I’ve got a couple of dive watches that are 41.5mm that might be considered too big but the lug to lug is around 45mm so they wear smaller, alternatively I’ve got a Hamilton that is smaller but doesn’t wear as well as the lug to lug is around 50mm. On that watch I’d say the larger size as the bezel is quite big so the dial would look quite small on the 38mm. 

10 hours ago, pablo said:

I agree with Tazio. There are a lot of variables but the lug to lug measurement (which isn't often readily available) often has a bigger impact. A narrow bezel will also make a watch look bigger as your eye tends to be drawn to the dial. A lightly coloured dial is also going to look bigger.

I've a 45mm G-Shock which wears fine but I feel I struggle with my 42mm Hamilton (with a 50mm lug to lug). Whilst my Christopher Ward and another watch both have a 47mm lug to lug the CW wears much bigger with a 41mm diameter compared to the other at 39mm.

I've started leaning towards the smaller end these days when I wouldn't even have considered it a few years ago. 

I've got arms like twigs and my wrist measures in at 6 3/4'. For what it's worth you would most likely be able to pull off either the 38 or 41 of your choice. Best to try them on and get a feel for them as ever watch wears differently.