Watches

jack D and coke

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

It may yet be possible to report behaviour like this to eBay . . . I would if I were you.

The re-listing has vanished as well. I presume someone got in touch with the seller and made him an offer substantially bigger than the auction would have yielded. I’m not bothered enough to make a complaint and only knew of the bid cancellation as I got an email from eBay. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure about Tudor but Rolex stopped manufacturing in the middle of March and have now closed down manufacturing until the end of the year I think I read. Tudor are the same I’d imagine. 

Thanks  for reply and info...was for my sons 40th,thought I had plenty time,maybe  not

• 2 weeks later...
IronJambo

After extensive research in different areas, ranging from where the stocks came from to section 75 cover should they go bust I took the plunge on the Explorer I was offered.

Whilst indirect, managing an otherwise unattainable 6% discount (through AMEX) was the final push I needed. Time for coronavirus to piss off so I can collect my watch.

Edited by IronJambo

2 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Anyone have any views on Tufina Watches?

I have a completely uninformed view, just looking at photos on the internet: To my eye they look like the watch equivalent of turning your TV set to a channel with only static on it. Holy moly there is so much going on and it just sets my brain off as if it's all completely random white noise.

Victorian
2 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Anyone have any views on Tufina Watches?

Just a quick bit of digging seems to suggest these are not premium quality.    Most likely Chinese movements or components.    A bit of chat suggesting their 'made in Germany' claim is a bit shaky.   Some of the full price values on their site are :rofl:with 75% discounts.    The discount prices look too high themselves.    I would avoid.

Ricardo Shillyshally
Just now, Victorian said:

Just a quick bit of digging seems to suggest these are not premium quality.    Most likely Chinese movements or components.    A bit of chat suggesting their 'made in Germany' claim is a bit shaky.   Some of the full price values on their site are :rofl:with 75% discounts.    The discount prices look too high themselves.    I would avoid.

👍

been here before
20 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I have a completely uninformed view, just looking at photos on the internet: To my eye they look like the watch equivalent of turning your TV set to a channel with only static on it. Holy moly there is so much going on and it just sets my brain off as if it's all completely random white noise.

theorema-sao-paolo-made-in-germany-mechanical-silver-white-bracelet-watch_c32db350-44a2-4b08-b9b0-9b10f032b034_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.07f0382e888e28a8d73edfcdcddaa8a9.jpg

😂

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Are we perhaps forgetting to add the code STAYHOME for an extra 15% off?

Ker-chiiiing

• 1 month later...

Put a gold watch, can't remember the brand.. not Rolex or top name but looks great into Cash generator, Newington to get cash in late February...  Shop still closed since March...  Having to continually check if opening to avoid losing it...

Never again.....

7 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Anyone have any experience with Two Stitch Straps? 

Got incoming on Monday and I think this would be an awesome match https://www.twostitchstraps.com/collections/all/products/two-stitch-coal-leather-watch-strap

They look ok but the best ever hand made straps I've seen are from Pavel of Neptune Straps (formerly PavStraps).    His best ones are square edged,   unbacked straps,   usually some other wordly soft horween or cordovan leather.    If he's still on the go then I would look no further.

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They look ok but the best ever hand made straps I've seen are from Pavel of Neptune Straps (formerly PavStraps).    His best ones are square edged,   unbacked straps,   usually some other wordly soft horween or cordovan leather.    If he's still on the go then I would look no further.

I know of him, doesn't really do what I'm after for this. I'm needing soft, mould to your wrist leather (I'm sure Pavel would have that part covered), but distressed and preferably not quite black. It needs to look completely unloved, like it's owner has seen the bottom of too many bottles of Jack and woken up in more than a few doorways.

3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I know of him, doesn't really do what I'm after for this. I'm needing soft, mould to your wrist leather (I'm sure Pavel would have that part covered), but distressed and preferably not quite black. It needs to look completely unloved, like it's owner has seen the bottom of too many bottles of Jack and woken up in more than a few doorways.

He'll probably do a bespoke job.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He'll probably do a bespoke job.

I might explore it 👍. I've got plenty time as I'll probably keep it on the bravely l bracelet for a bit. 

First up either a Seiko 5, Seiko skx007 (second hand probably) and then this to put on it..

(incidentally, if I could afford a Tudor Black Bay GMT to pair with this strap,... set for life wrist wise... )

marine-nationale-nato-by-bg-wbg_1.jpg

Edited by muldoon74

16 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

First up either a Seiko 5, Seiko skx007 (second hand probably) and then this to put on it..

(incidentally, if I could afford a Tudor Black Bay GMT to pair with this strap,... set for life wrist wise... )

marine-nationale-nato-by-bg-wbg_1.jpg

Without a word of a lie... just looked at the zuludiver website and found the strap above..

Then said in post about pairing it with a Tudor black bay..

well scrolled further down zuludiver website and saw this, OK, maybe not a gmt (might be actually I'm not that much of an aficionado..) but.. how sexy??!!!!

red_tudor_black_bay_on_red_marine_nationale_nato.jpg

Edited by muldoon74

It’s a real pisser that the predicted rise of prices for the SKX seems to be happening. In terms of alternatives the dark red Orient Kamasu would look super smart with that strap. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s a real pisser that the predicted rise of prices for the SKX seems to be happening. In terms of alternatives the dark red Orient Kamasu would look super smart with that strap. 

As Ive said I'm by no means an aficionado or expert, not even really an enthusiastic amateur but.. I love just looking at watches and seeing the mechanical genius in the designs etc.. 

I've been watching a lot of Hodinkee videos and the amount of knowledge out there on specific watches and the desire for certain types astounds me. 

I saw on most recent Hodinkee video about new Seiko 5 series how it is basically the aesthetics of the SKX007 series but doesn't have the functionality (ie not a true divers watch..) ..

Seiko are trying to blend aesthetics of SKX with performance standards and cost of old 5... 

SKX seem to be in the sacred threshold of watches.. I am going now to google Orient Kamasu in red.. Read some very good reviews on Orient.. Maybe an alternative to Seiko SKX after all... ... ;) 

I’ve got a blue Kamasu and it’s a nice watch, and way ahead of the SKX in everyday practicality, hacking movement and sapphire crystal. The red one is like a reverse colour wise of the Tudor you posted, very dark red dial and black bezel. 

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone have a view on a Hamilton American Classic Collection Jazz Master Face 2 Face?

Ridiculously big and ugly as sin. 

been here before
23 minutes ago, Fun Boaby said:

Anyone have a view on a Hamilton American Classic Collection Jazz Master Face 2 Face?

Ive got a Hamilton watch but thankfully not that one.

Thats brutal.

1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

I'd never have one but I quite like it, it's way too big (and pricey for a hammy). I can only think that they've tried to make their own mental version of a JLC Reverso just to show that they could. I love Hamilton as a brand but I never wear mine anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

How much was that, asking for a friend.

@Carl Weathers

I'm also guessing it a 41 since the 36 is very popular and I don't think it with reach a sale?

Harry Potter

Carl Weathers

Cheers. It's a 36 on leather. 25% off.

I had to request a larger leather strap from Tudor as the one that came with the watch is really small (my wrists are on the small side as well). Hopefully will arrive soon.

been here before

Im always put off Tudors because of the minute hand. God knows what the square bits about. It ruins so many good looking, simple, clean watches.

Edited by been here before

Carl Weathers

I really like the snow flake hand on the Black Bay watches. I dont think it works on their Chronos.

Edited by Carl Weathers

6 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I really like the snow flake hand on the Black Bay watches. I dont think it works on their Chronos.

I tried my best to want one but for some reason I don't get on with round indices. I really wanted an Explorer in truth and something similar wouldn't have cut it long term either. 

Carl Weathers

I really like the explorer as well but I'm a big fan of the Tudor. Two great watches though. 

I'd struggle to justify the cost difference for a Rolex at the moment - maybe in future. 

AngleParkMenace

I bought the other half a nice constellation for her birthday. Got a decent deal on a preowned one from japan. Arrived and  happy with it however It is a little tight.  She wants to keep the strap, where’s the best place to buy new links? 

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, been here before said:

Im always put off Tudors because of the minute hand. God knows what the square bits about. It ruins so many good looking, simple, clean watches.

Yes , that puts me off as well,  too expensive for me tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there has been some discussion on here regarding Creation Watches (Singaporean web-shop) but tbh can't be arsed to trawl through 40+ pages to find the lowdown (I'm quite lazy at times..)

Seen an Orient Mako 3, with the correct black dial and red/maroon bezel for £137. Best I've seen on Amazon is £187 for the same. 

I'll switch out the rubber strap for a Nato, colour/design to be determined (although I posted some lovely ones earlier in the thread..) 

My question is: Are Creation Watches a reliable website? Am I highly likely to receive the real deal or are they very good fakes? 

Thanks in advance for ignoring my laziness, I'm very bust seething about our Clubs treatment these last few months.. 

34 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

I know there has been some discussion on here regarding Creation Watches (Singaporean web-shop) but tbh can't be arsed to trawl through 40+ pages to find the lowdown (I'm quite lazy at times..)

Seen an Orient Mako 3, with the correct black dial and red/maroon bezel for £137. Best I've seen on Amazon is £187 for the same. 

I'll switch out the rubber strap for a Nato, colour/design to be determined (although I posted some lovely ones earlier in the thread..) 

My question is: Are Creation Watches a reliable website? Am I highly likely to receive the real deal or are they very good fakes? 

Thanks in advance for ignoring my laziness, I'm very bust seething about our Clubs treatment these last few months.. 

I've no experience of them but from what I've read I believe they supply bonafide goods but some have been burnt by a shady returns system. 

I'd have the view that I could be hit for 20% import tax (?) which would bring your £137 up to £164.40. Add on delivery time and possible added stress and I reckon the mark up at Amazon for £187 and peace of mind isn't so bad.

I reckon if the £22.60 saving was that important to me then I don't think I could afford that watch right now.

Edited by IronJambo

8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I've no experience of them but from what I've read I believe they supply bonafide goods but some have been burnt by a shady returns system. 

I'd have the view that I could be hit for 20% import tax (?) which would bring your £137 up to £164.40. Add on delivery time and possible added stress and I reckon the mark up at Amazon for £187 and peace of mind isn't so bad.

I reckon if the £22.60 saving was that important to me then I don't think I could afford that watch right now.

Ive also read on trustpilot no import tax for UK and free DHL delivery.. 

Its a minefield buying shite these days!!

8 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Ive also read on trustpilot no import tax for UK and free DHL delivery.. 

Its a minefield buying shite these days!!

Unless there's a special relationship with Singapore (?) then I'd expect any delivery from a non EU country to give you a customs fee+VAT along with a handling fee from the carrier (DHL in this case) for any goods over £135. This may or may not be picked up by customs. 

6 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Unless there's a special relationship with Singapore (?) then I'd expect any delivery from a non EU country to give you a customs fee+VAT along with a handling fee from the carrier (DHL in this case) for any goods over £135. This may or may not be picked up by customs. 

Hence the reason for my post/query. 

Ive seen no delivery fees, no import tax and also both of them.

What have people actually experienced? 

35 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Hence the reason for my post/query. 

Ive seen no delivery fees, no import tax and also both of them.

What have people actually experienced? 

Not from creation obviously, but I've bought a phone for £300 that was sent to me from Dubai and it made it to me 23 hours after shipping with no customs duty or VAT added. On the other side of it, I bought a painting from a friend of a friend in the USA for somewhere between £100/£200 and it was hit with with all with all of the above. I think it's the luck of the draw on whether customs pick it up or not.

Edited by IronJambo

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

Whats the JKB View on Nomos Glashutte?

They look like watches an architect would wear.

Someone that looks like this guy.

happy-handsome-close-portrait-charming-260nw-1472483618.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The wee one was sleeping when I got him home in the car so I left him till he woke. Nowt to do in the dark basement car park so I had a go at taking some lume shots.

i0n5qdS.jpg

I was looking in to buying something decent but I have absolutely no idea about watches. 

There seems to be a few decent websites on-line for buying 2nd hand watches watchfinder being one of them.

There is a lot of eBay but not sure if you can trust them? if I am going to be spending £4,000 - £6000 on watch, I want to make the right purchase.

I should add, the reason I like that watchfinder website, is that it tells you the year the watch was made. I want to get a watch that was made the same year my son was born (2019) so that I can eventually gift it to him on his 18th birthday. 

Any help / ideas is welcome.

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

I was looking in to buying something decent but I have absolutely no idea about watches. 

There seems to be a few decent websites on-line for buying 2nd hand watches watchfinder being one of them.

There is a lot of eBay but not sure if you can trust them? if I am going to be spending £4,000 - £6000 on watch, I want to make the right purchase.

I should add, the reason I like that watchfinder website, is that it tells you the year the watch was made. I want to get a watch that was made the same year my son was born (2019) so that I can eventually gift it to him on his 18th birthday. 

Any help / ideas is welcome.

I think there's a lot to consider. Firstly, the likes of chrono24/chronext and watchfinder are all way overpriced. So haggle if you go down that route.

Anything you buy now is going to depreciate. Some quite hideously (ok, not as badly as a car). There will be exceptions to that with some appreciating instead but what watches they are we can only speculate. We can only assume they'd come from Patek Phillipe, Jaeger Le Coultre, Audemars Piquet, or Rolex. Not that Rolex is in the same league as the aforementioned but for retaining/gaining value they belong in that sentence. 

It should be considered that the watch will need serviced before his 18th as well.

With all the above considered you're also buying a watch to your own tastes for someone who's tastes you don't know in 17 years time. It may even be that very few of us are wearing mechanical watches then and he may think it's a nonsense item because it doesn't read his emails to him. It could be way too big or way too small for him.

I think the idea has good merit and I may even steal it for my kids for their 21st but I don't think I could choose a watch for the wee dicks right now. 

There are plenty sites that sell birth year watches if you look around as well. 

I think I'd probably whack the money in an index funds isa and make the purchase much closer to his 18th. Extra money to spend or excess to put elsewhere as well as the watch. Win win. 

48 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I think there's a lot to consider. Firstly, the likes of chrono24/chronext and watchfinder are all way overpriced. So haggle if you go down that route.

Anything you buy now is going to depreciate. Some quite hideously (ok, not as badly as a car). There will be exceptions to that with some appreciating instead but what watches they are we can only speculate. We can only assume they'd come from Patek Phillipe, Jaeger Le Coultre, Audemars Piquet, or Rolex. Not that Rolex is in the same league as the aforementioned but for retaining/gaining value they belong in that sentence. 

It should be considered that the watch will need serviced before his 18th as well.

With all the above considered you're also buying a watch to your own tastes for someone who's tastes you don't know in 17 years time. It may even be that very few of us are wearing mechanical watches then and he may think it's a nonsense item because it doesn't read his emails to him. It could be way too big or way too small for him.

I think the idea has good merit and I may even steal it for my kids for their 21st but I don't think I could choose a watch for the wee dicks right now. 

There are plenty sites that sell birth year watches if you look around as well. 

I think I'd probably whack the money in an index funds isa and make the purchase much closer to his 18th. Extra money to spend or excess to put elsewhere as well as the watch. Win win. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond IronJambo. There is some good information there and I will keep that in mind.

To be honest, I was going to just pick a watch that I liked and 'hope' that the wee man likes it in 17 years time. I also never considered that watches depreciate and thought they held their value well enough. So you are right, he may end up with a watch that, not only does he not like, but is completely worthless :)!

I've ended up in a bit of a rabbit hole with the index funds isa thing you mentioned. I already put away £60 p/m for him in to a junior isa (with TSB bank) but looks like I should've been putting it in an index fund. 

Lot's to consider and thanks for your response.

Fed up on Saturday night there, also bit drunk, so decided to cheer myself up a wee bit. 

Always, wanted a rectangle faced watch, saw this on amazon for £27 free delivery. Came this morning. 

Not best picture but I'm very pleased with it. Little details like the second hand being red with the RAF/Ben Sherman roundel on the end give it a wee hint of style. 

I have a round dial Ben Sherman aswell, bought in March. Set time to my everyday beater Garmin (Satellite controlled time so accurate) and its still pretty much in sync with it. Maybe 5/6 seconds out but over 5.5 months for a fashion piece I don't think that's bad at all. 

Also cheered the wife up by buying her an Elvis watch, although that arrives between 18th and 21st. Obviously coming from China but she's as happy with a £22 elvis, faced watch as she would be with a much more expensive one with no elvis face. In fact she'd be more wary of an expensive watch in case she broke it. Last Chinese, elvis one cost £15 and battery just died after 3 years. 5er a year, not bad. 

IMG-20200914-WA0001.jpeg