Watches

jack D and coke

3 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Moan then, explain it to me. Why is a watch interesting lol. 

Some are of little interest but people still like the look of them.    Lots of watches have movement complications or functionality features.    There's a broad spectrum of interests people find in them.     

Lol.

Why are you even in the watch thread if you find them so uninteresting and pointless?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• Sten Guns

• cosanostra

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some are of little interest but people still like the look of them.    Lots of watches have movement complications or functionality features.    There's a broad spectrum of interests people find in them.     

Lol.

Why are you even in the watch thread if you find them so uninteresting and pointless?

Good point. I suppose i'm just interested in how people can find something so boring so interesting. 

1 minute ago, Space Pirate said:

Good point. I suppose i'm just interested in how people can find something so boring so interesting. 

Cheers.

been here before
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Moronic contribution.    Everybody has discussed all types of watches.    Only recently some very inexpensive Russian watches.

Perhaps you should start your own thread.   Invitation only.    To exclude "wallopers".

Aha now then talking of which...

I recently came into posession of a late 60s/early Russian made Sekonda with its original bracelet identical to this...

s-l400.jpg.40e6b98f7cf216eca5f145520e2deba3.jpg

It had sat unused in a drawer for 20 years and has worked perfectly since I got it. 

The strap was wearable but a wee bit tight for me and I didnt really like it so Ive got myself a James Bond Nato job and lobbed it on.

Something a wee bit different.

Just now, been here before said:

I recently came into posession of a late 60s/early Russian made Sekonda with its original bracelet identical to this...

It had sat unused in a drawer for 20 years and has worked perfectly since I got it. 

The strap was wearable but a wee bit tight for me and I didnt really like it so Ive got myself a James Bond Nato job and lobbed it on.

Looks no bad at all.    Pity about the band.   That's a sort of 'beads of rice' style bracelet.    

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

That is ugly as..

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Bear in mind he's all over a thread about brown sauce.

Mate, Gold star brown sauce or that watch of yours...

I know what i'd be choosing. 

Greedy Jambo
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Looks no bad at all.    Pity about the band.   That's a sort of 'beads of rice' style bracelet.    

Naw, Tell the truth, it looks like yer old grans watch. 

been here before
7 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

That is ugly as..

6 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Mate, Gold star brown sauce or that watch of yours...

I know what i'd be choosing. 

4 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Naw, Tell the truth, it looks like yer old grans watch. 

Bless.

tumblr_ee8891933296d609b1b8a194e0bec5b1_82ba0ffa_640.jpg.726d10805a44fc4b736ea2fa72881ca7.jpg

36 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Fair enough, I just have the view point that a watch does basically hee haw and is a waste of money unless you're a professional diver or nob end. 

You're saying that the watch you bought is interesting, how so?

I can see a smart watch being interesting... but other than that. 

It's interesting because it's an automatic at a very low price point and I like to be able to see the moving parts through the back of the case. 

Smart watches are incredibly boring to me. I have one for function, but electronic stuff doesn't really interest me. 

Greedy Jambo
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

It's interesting because it's an automatic at a very low price point and I like to be able to see the moving parts through the back of the case. 

Smart watches are incredibly boring to me. I have one for function, but electronic stuff doesn't really interest me

Now that is interesting. 

How 2 minds can work completely differently. 

What else can we compare? Do you prefer board games to computer games?

I think this is just an age thing. 

I would imagine that the majority or people discussing watches on here are over the age of 50. 

36 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Funny you should mention, I was never really into watches much my whole life but checked into this thread and saw Victorian and others discussing the vintage Soviet models and it piqued my interest. I enjoy old things, historical things, and I enjoy the fact these are mechanical. Now I own two.

I will say that making a minimal effort not to be a presumptuous twat that day probably had something to do with this outcome, but your mileage may vary.

Now that is interesting. 

I would imagine that the majority or people discussing watches on here are over the age of 50. 

I’m 38. I find mechanical watches interesting, how they can get those tiny parts to keep a consistent time is fascinating. Proper adults don’t play computer games, although I’ll let you off during lock down.

8 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Now that is interesting. 

I prefer computer games but do like board games, I just like games as I'm very competitive 😂. I like technology and using it, I just don't find it interesting...probably because I can't see it working. It's just little bits of plastic to me.

I've not idea how old the people on this thread I'm. I'm a fair way off 50 though 

4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Funny you should mention, I was never really into watches much my whole life but checked into this thread and saw Victorian and others discussing the vintage Soviet models and it piqued my interest. I enjoy old things, historical things, and I enjoy the fact these are mechanical. Now I own two.

I will say that making a minimal effort not to be a presumptuous twat that day probably had something to do with this outcome, but your mileage may vary.

😂😂 That's a wonderful paragraph. Glad you've enjoyed your new interest. I'd always liked the idea of watches and how clever they were but it was this thread that drove me to explore that a little more.

Greedy Jambo
3 minutes ago, mutley said:

I’m 38. I find mechanical watches interesting, how they can get those tiny parts to keep a consistent time is fascinating. Proper adults don’t play computer games, although I’ll let you off during lock down.

haha. I'm 37. Computer games are good for your hand to eye coordination i'll have you know. 

How can you be interested in how a watch works but not how they can stick some circuit boards in a box and make a car appear on your screen that you can drive with a control pad? I just don't get it. 

I used to be that geeky that I would browse second hand watches and buy up the odd piece based on how I would improve it with a different strap or bracelet.   Spent probably thousands over many years on straps and bracelets.     It got so bad that I found myself browsing watches specifically for a spare bracelet that was lying unused.   🤪

Over the years and when I spent ridiculous time,   I occasionally snapped up the odd watch specifically to sell on at a profit.    Made some cracking profits from time to time.     There was a military style thing that I trebled my money on with a day of buying it.    

I found that interesting.

7 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

haha. I'm 37. Computer games are good for your hand to eye coordination i'll have you know. 

How can you be interested in how a watch works but not how they can stick some circuit boards in a box and make a car appear on your screen that you can drive with a control pad? I just don't get it. 

I’d find building a pc/Xbox etc interesting, I just wouldn’t have any interest in then playing games on it

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, mutley said:

I’d find building a pc/Xbox etc interesting, I just wouldn’t have any interest in then playing games on it

I'm the same, hate playing games on a pc. 

It just isn't right. 

It's actually possible to add real value to a second hand watch with better pictures,   a comprehensive description and a large,  perfect ebay feedback history.    I've done it.

Try that with your brown sauce.

Edited by Victorian

Greedy Jambo

There's a video of a guy with a proper car set up in house, driving around edinburgh. It looks even more real than this. Can't find it. 

I'll leave you all to look at watches and wonder how they work. 

Edited by Space Pirate

been here before
49 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

That's a belter.

When I first got mine (gratis I may add) I kept an eye on a couple on ebay to see the value.

They go for an eye watering £20/25 if you really fancy splashing out 😆

6 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

I like the seiko 5 series.. 

The new limited edition Brian may one caught my eye a while ago. I thought at £500 it was reasonably priced however a quick search for seiko series 5 threw up many as nice and well under half the price. 

I quite fancy a pepsi and it's tempting for £250.

q6IxTnC.jpg

3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

q6IxTnC.jpg

Yep like them. 

Although I hate a bracelet, find them uncomfortable. Would go for leather or rubber instead. Maybe even nylon nato style, really like those.

An interesting alternative to a nato / zulu is an elasticated paracord 'marine nationale' style strap.    You can get them in a wide range of colours now.    There are also elasticated nato types.    

The marine nationale style with the hook type fastening are really comfortable.

been here before
14 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

q6IxTnC.jpg

Too Rangers.

Plus I wouldnt touch another Sieko after dealing with them a few months ago. Shame though as they offered me a 30% discount up to 500 sheets but their customer care is so bad.

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

An interesting alternative to a nato / zulu is an elasticated paracord 'marine nationale' style strap.    You can get them in a wide range of colours now.    There are also elasticated nato types.    

The marine nationale style with the hook type fastening are really comfortable.

In the mid 90s I went through an "Animal" velcro strap phase..  Still got a couple kicking about in my drawer.. I use them when inevitably leather or rubber strap fails.. 

annushorribilis III
4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

q6IxTnC.jpg

I've got the plain black (SKF/SKX?) divers version and it's a brick of a watch that's had some punishment but keeps on keeping on.

It came with a jubilee strap tho which I think is horrific. 

4 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Yep like them. 

Although I hate a bracelet, find them uncomfortable. Would go for leather or rubber instead. Maybe even nylon nato style, really like those.

I've got the below and currently have a Zulu on it but really like the sound of marine narionale straps that Victorian mentioned.

Whoops: I meant to quote @IronJambo

Seiko-Mens-Pepsi-Kinetic-200-Meter-Diver-SKA759-PROSPEX-Dial.jpg

Edited by Taffin

annushorribilis III
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I've got the below and currently have a Zulu on it but really like the sound of marine narionale straps that Victorian mentioned.

I bought that for my lad. It's a stunner. 

Just now, annushorribilis III said:

I bought that for my lad. It's a stunner. 

Mines now a bit worse for wear as I wear it daily but it's been a great watch so far and hoping for many more years out of it.

6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

You can't beat a black face on a watch. Just so much cooler than any other colour.. 

I'm going to have a look at the straps mentioned earlier.. 

annushorribilis III
6 hours ago, Victorian said:

Moronic contribution.    Everybody has discussed all types of watches.    Only recently some very inexpensive Russian watches.

Perhaps you should start your own thread.   Invitation only.    To exclude "wallopers".

:rofl::toasting::look:

£10 a pop, one of these, will suit my rotary very nicely indeed... Few other colours, aswell.. Marine national, thanks for the heads up Victorian.. 

Screenshot_20200415_001649_com.android.chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, been here before said:

Too Rangers.

Plus I wouldnt touch another Sieko after dealing with them a few months ago. Shame though as they offered me a 30% discount up to 500 sheets but their customer care is so bad.

I can agree with the latter of your post as I'll never repeat business with a company that's "wronged"me.

The rangers part though.... It's a watch. Football is quite literally just a game and the club you support shouldn't define you as a person or dictate what you wear. 

The bezel of the watch in question loosely mimics the original "Pepsi" bezel from the first Rolex GMT Master developed for Pan Am airlines in their colours. So not originally a "Pepsi" but a Pan Am. Popular culture later led to it becoming a Pepsi. Definitely not a rangers. 

Yeah what's the hang-up over colours?   They're just colours,   in this case both primary colours.

Worth noting that maroon is a combination of all the primary colours.   As primary as you can get.    Green of course being a secondary colour.

:leveinnaturalorder:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone any idea the legal position of ownership in the following scenario.

Someone pays the full cost of a watch upfront from a jeweller which will then be held in a vault until it can be handed over after lockdown. Let's say the jeweller goes bust and the company gets liquidated. 

I'm of the mind that even if this watch was allocated and the purchaser has a receipt with the serial number that it being on the jewellers property means that any liquidator would just treat it like any other stock. Therefore, the purchaser would lose out.

Any thoughts?

25 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Someone pays the full cost of a watch upfront from a jeweller which will then be held in a vault until it can be handed over after lockdown. Let's say the jeweller goes bust and the company gets liquidated. 

I'm of the mind that even if this watch was allocated and the purchaser has a receipt with the serial number that it being on the jewellers property means that any liquidator would just treat it like any other stock. Therefore, the purchaser would lose out.

Any thoughts?

I would say it belongs to the person who has paid for it. Can't see why lack of collection should matter. Same as if you had handed a watch in for a service or repair etc. It's still your watch.

annushorribilis III
27 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Any thoughts?

Seller has entered into a contract with the buyer .

Buyer has made the payment and can prove it, presumably. 

The goods are no longer in the ownership of the seller, the seller is simply acting as guardian on behalf of the purchaser. 

How I see it. 

32 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

Seller has entered into a contract with the buyer .

Buyer has made the payment and can prove it, presumably. 

The goods are no longer in the ownership of the seller, the seller is simply acting as guardian on behalf of the purchaser. 

How I see it. 

There have quite a few stories like this on other forums. Watches Of Switzerland in particular have been getting in touch with people offering them steel Rolex sports watches with this deal. Seems a bit odd to me knowing that these are on big waiting lists. Possibly people have asked to be taken off the waiting lists due to financial worries and they have a surplus now, or as many people suspect the whole waiting list thing is a marketing exercise to keep the demand for them high and increase their attractiveness to buyers. 

Ordered a Tudor watch start of February,lead time was 16/20 weeks. Anybody know if watches were being made by Tudor in this time or have they been locked down?

Can't find info anywhere.

Rather annoyingly I was winning an eBay auction for a nice vintage dress watch and now with less than 24 hours to go the seller has cancelled my bid and withdrawn the item, only to re-list it again, presumably realising he wasn’t going to get a price he wanted for it. If he was that concerned he should have put a realistic reserve price on it. 
Arsehole. 

2 minutes ago, sinks said:

Ordered a Tudor watch start of February,lead time was 16/20 weeks. Anybody know if watches were being made by Tudor in this time or have they been locked down?

Can't find info anywhere.

I’m not sure about Tudor but Rolex stopped manufacturing in the middle of March and have now closed down manufacturing until the end of the year I think I read. Tudor are the same I’d imagine. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Rather annoyingly I was winning an eBay auction for a nice vintage dress watch and now with less than 24 hours to go the seller has cancelled my bid and withdrawn the item, only to re-list it again, presumably realising he wasn’t going to get a price he wanted for it. If he was that concerned he should have put a realistic reserve price on it. 
Arsehole. 

It may yet be possible to report behaviour like this to eBay . . . I would if I were you.

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There have quite a few stories like this on other forums. Watches Of Switzerland in particular have been getting in touch with people offering them steel Rolex sports watches with this deal. Seems a bit odd to me knowing that these are on big waiting lists. Possibly people have asked to be taken off the waiting lists due to financial worries and they have a surplus now, or as many people suspect the whole waiting list thing is a marketing exercise to keep the demand for them high and increase their attractiveness to buyers. 

Yep, it was the manager of my local Goldsmiths (part of WOS) that have called offering me an Explorer. 

I was on a "list"with me myself and I with them (or so I was transparently told when I registered my interest).

I think many will pass for the time being. The guy was decent on the phone and we had a general chit chat about waiting lists. He told me he hadn't been at the store long but was appalled at first when he heard some of his staff telling people it was a 2 year wait for a Submariner when it was nothing of the sort. Reckons he's stopped such nonsense.

I told him I'll take it but I'll be honest and say I'm currently undecided.